Home

How much you make?

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

How much you make? - 05/26/21 10:42 PM

Hobby trappers. What did you take in for money for fur this year if you don't mind sharing.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: How much you make? - 05/26/21 10:54 PM

Check back in about a month I should be done counting by then.Thinking about buying one of those bill counters like they have at the bank.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: How much you make? - 05/26/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Check back in about a month I should be done counting by then.Thinking about buying one of those bill counters like they have at the bank.

grin
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: How much you make? - 05/26/21 11:40 PM

Does a negative number count? When you consider the gear and gas, I lose money every year--and that doesn't include time away from work. I am good on traps for the foreseeable future so that is a positive.

I am however in deep and stopped thinking about it how much I lose.

Re: How much you make? - 05/26/21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
Does a negative number count? When you consider the gear and gas, I lose money every year--and that doesn't include time away from work. I am good on traps for the foreseeable future so that is a positive.

I am however in deep and stopped thinking about it how much I lose.

No, just checks from the buyer is all.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 12:00 AM

If I said
No one would believe me
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 12:02 AM

Buyer...$0
Managers...$2800 but only got to trap two properties
Posted By: charles

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 12:03 AM

About ten years ago I donated every trapping item I owned to a National Park Service biologist. Got an itemized appraisal on NPS stationary for a tax donation. Only good year I ever had on paper. Had lots of fun and good exercise, however.
Posted By: 080808

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 12:52 AM

Whatever it is it’s always more than deer hunting. lol
Posted By: MNEric

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 12:54 AM

900 for coyote and fox
1100 for beaver in the round
375 for castor

Not including ADC work
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 01:10 AM

I tanned all my stuff this year and sold it for about $900. I don't know what my bey would be after taking away chemicals, gas, supplies, etc though.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 01:16 AM

I made $0.00 on fur last season. I donated all of my minuscule amount of catches to Wilmington College's Biology Department. I have more than enough necessary and paying work to feel the need to prep fur for sale for close to free.

Keith
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 01:18 AM

MAKE ?????
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 01:18 AM

Just shy of $1700 with a few coon, 2 mink and the rest rats.

Bryce
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 01:37 AM

Sold 2 Bobcats for $850 each and a Lynx for $900, all frozen whole. So far that’s it.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:02 AM

I go into this business with the idea of not making any money and so far have been quite successful....
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 080808

This must be new math or something. If you loose money trapping you have nothing but time and money spent. When you deer hunt and are successful you have meat to eat. Trapping for fun is not a message we need to get out. It will someday be used to end trapping. Wish people would get that. LLL
Posted By: 653

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:19 AM

just great memories, worth more than any ck smirk
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:19 AM

Ha, this is a sore subject with my better half. All the stuff I had to buy for this new trapping hobby was an investment and would pay for itself I told her. This year I had all my furs tanned and had three hats made. As I am reminded frequently, I’m still in the hole.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:28 AM

Quite a bit really. Expenses balance out as for about 4 months I don't spend money on anything else.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 02:47 AM

the kid got 5 bucks a coon on a deal with the farm possum also paid 5 bucks a head the old man hates possums he lost a horse long time ago and blames it on possum dung and urine on the hay bales

best money coon brought all year , didn't even have to skinnum just make sure they never looked at a chicken again and text the owner pictures for proof of death

he made 200 dollars in a week

could have made it in fewer days if he had set more traps but who thought one barn yard would net 40

that is what the kid made , I have no idea what I spent , sometimes it is better not to keep to close of track
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 04:37 AM

I did so bad I had to eat my shorts, including my lucky trapping ones which must never be warshed, lest you warsh the luck out of them...
I did save my lucky fishing shorts however.
Posted By: sevensixtwo

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 04:47 AM

Dang i havent even finished scraping mine yet. Have two beavers to go then off to tannery. Had everything skinned out in the freezer. Doing a few here and there when I get time.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 09:20 AM

12.00 a day before expenses.
Posted By: Mark June

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 09:41 AM

If most of them would back off sending me 1099's, a bit more
But then I bill my time knowing full well there's a 1099 in my future.
Fur prices is the gravy on the taters.

I do miss the western cat prices tired
Posted By: Wife

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 10:16 AM

Fur Harvest: Expense 5230.00. Income 4100.00 cash + 1,000,000.00 in Therapy = $998770.00 net Sanity (although my wife who set this up for me might argue this)................. the mike
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 10:42 AM

Several years ago the boys and I took the fur check and split it evenly between their 529 college savings plans.
The last flew years though we took the check and tried to pick out something nice off the menu at McDonald's.
Jim
Posted By: Mac

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Hobby trappers. What did you take in for money for fur this year if you don't mind sharing.

You obviously are a long ways from following old school rules.

Might I ask what your total income was last year?
What does your portfolio look liked?
Do you own your own house?
What is y our current debt line?
When is the last time you had sex?
Were you up to the task?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 11:07 AM

a lot if you do the number's right , the cost of a gym membership$$$ for all the exercise, and being pay to trap nuisance animals$$ , the value of being in the outdoors very day for months$$ , and having the love of my life , enjoy being on the trap line with me ,is priceless $$$$$$$$$, making new friends and seeing old ones {land owner] $ I would say I'm a rich man because of trapping smile
Posted By: nimzy

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 11:31 AM

Probably one of my better vices. Something I look forward to doing. Enjoy doing. And an abrupt life style change. From 24/7 phones, emails and other interruptions to solitude and welcoming isolation. My double life. Stress relief has value. I began trapping for money and discovered I couldn’t live without it.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 10:51 PM

Pick out something nice at mcdonalds that right there is funny stuff

Re: How much you make? - 05/27/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

You obviously are a long ways from following old school rules.

Might I ask what your total income was last year?
What does your portfolio look liked?
Do you own your own house?
What is y our current debt line?
When is the last time you had sex?
Were you up to the task?

I don't think so. I'm not asking real personal info and not asking the hardcore trapping guys. Just the hobby guys.

1. Not enough.
2 stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
3. No, the bank owns it. I still have a mortgage.
4. No idea. I am debt free other than my home and some hospital bills though. Doing good..
5. Wit........oh nevermind
6. Yes.
Posted By: keets

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 12:06 AM

TREE FIDDY grin
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 12:43 AM

Yes one of my favorite forms of exercise too.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 12:45 AM

-$200
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 12:48 AM

Couldn't put a money number on it, time with the kids outdoors passing on a tradition is priceless and I would lose folded money on that any day
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 12:54 AM

Not enough to worry about either way.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 01:23 AM

About a Dollar an hour.
On a good day
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Several years ago the boys and I took the fur check and split it evenly between their 529 college savings plans.
The last flew years though we took the check and tried to pick out something nice off the menu at McDonald's.
Jim

Regular menu or the "dollar menu"?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 01:35 AM

I made just as much trapping problem beavers than I have with the fur. But haven't sold my late coyotes yet.
Posted By: DWC

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper

This must be new math or something. If you loose money trapping you have nothing but time and money spent. When you deer hunt and are successful you have meat to eat. Trapping for fun is not a message we need to get out. It will someday be used to end trapping. Wish people would get that. LLL

Vs what? Trapping for money? You think a liberal or anti cares how much money you sell your coon for? Theywill only see your piles of “death” (which i appreciate btw) in pics on here. 99 percent of the people on here trap for fun. Even if they do make money, they could make a lot more doing many other things. Im guessing that would include you as well. Tradition and enjoyment are HUGE reasons to trap.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 02:03 AM

Vs what? Trapping for money? You think a liberal or anti cares how much money you sell your coon for? Theywill only see your piles of “death” (which i appreciate btw) in pics on here. 99 percent of the people on here trap for fun. Even if they do make money, they could make a lot more doing many other things. Im guessing that would include you as well. Tradition and enjoyment are HUGE reasons to trap. [/quote]
X2^^^
I agree DWC, I enjoy trapping and wish I could do more. I have been at it for a long time and am still learning. Hopefully some day I get real good at it grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist

grin

grin
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 09:59 AM

Sold a few hundred in put up fur and castor. Made a few hundred in nuisance work and had way too many furs tanned by tanneries and myself. Oh did I mention I loved every minute of it and wouldn't trade my time doing it for anything in the world
Posted By: WBG

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 11:34 AM

Realize I'm (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman);n in the wind here but LL. is spot on
Posted By: Boco

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

Vs what? Trapping for money? You think a liberal or anti cares how much money you sell your coon for? Theywill only see your piles of “death” (which i appreciate btw) in pics on here. 99 percent of the people on here trap for fun. Even if they do make money, they could make a lot more doing many other things. Im guessing that would include you as well. Tradition and enjoyment are HUGE reasons to trap.

X2^^^
I agree DWC, I enjoy trapping and wish I could do more. I have been at it for a long time and am still learning. Hopefully some day I get real good at it grin[/quote]

Its amazing how many trappers still dont know that it has nothing to do with anti's.
It is all about how the general public(liberal and conservative,by the way) percieves our industry that will decide if the fur industry continues or not.
The antis do a better job of influencing the general public with their lies about our industry,than we do getting the truth out to them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 02:25 PM

As long as the fur gets used it is all right. Hate to tell you but alot of people out there head hunt deer and the meat does go to waste. People throw out freezer burned meat all the time. Obviously you trap for money and not one bit of pleasure. Your posts are constantly pointing out that we should not trap because of the low prices. Did trapping end after the market bombed in the eighties? Not at all. If we all quit trapping then for sure we will lose our rights.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 02:58 PM

The only real money I have made during my last 41 years of trapping has been in the financial market. I have posted the S& P value on the day our season started and then chose March 1st as the closure date for me. Not many of those 41 years did I lose money and those years I did the other years made up the losses easily. As the old saying on SNL from years ago "trapping has been berry, berry good to me". lol

Bryce
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

The message is what he is talking about. Not the reason you Cindy's trap. Your message is "I kill animals for giggles!" The general Public does not support your giggles. Even if you trap for giggles, never admit it. The official story is " I trap to support my family or manage wildlife or something the general public supports."
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 05:03 PM

I'm not any broker than I was when I started.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 05:17 PM

$800 coyote bounty. $942 from FHA . Minus $900 gas and supplies. $842 profit split between me and my buddy equals $421 each. Approximately 165 hours trapping and hunting. Hourly pay about $2.50/hr. The same as I made back in 1970. There are however 9 Western cats at FHA that have not sold yet. That might up the wage a few bucks per hour. If they ever sell cats.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
Couldn't put a money number on it, time with the kids outdoors passing on a tradition is priceless and I would lose folded money on that any day

this right here!!!!
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: How much you make? - 05/28/21 08:47 PM

I am so tired, from counting my money last night. 😌
© 2022 Trapperman Forums