Home

Can I legally trap this bobcat.

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 08:28 PM

A bobcat on my uncles property attacked his dog and got it around the neck area and the dog bled pretty good but Is now doing better. I was wondering if I could trap this animal as ADC or Nuisance work or would I still have to get ahold of the DNR, my bet is the ladder. If I can however trap it how would you guys suggest? Also for anyone wondering this bobcat is in Allen county so the are moving north pretty well apparently.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 09:31 PM

Probably best not to ask this question....night time is your friend
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 09:31 PM

There needs to be a Federal law that all predators, that are not truly in danger of going extinct, which is all predators in the US, can be legally killed when they attack people and domestic animals and if they enter a residence or other indoor space containing people.

Keith
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
There needs to be a Federal law that all predators, that are not truly in danger of going extinct, which is all predators in the US, can be legally killed when they attack people and domestic animals and if they enter a residence or other indoor space containing people.

Keith

Bring that to Chicago and I'll support it.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 09:45 PM

SSS
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Keith

Too much common sense it would never stick to the wall. Not in our lifetime anyway
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 10:30 PM

he needs a tougher dog
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 10:36 PM

Some things are better left unsaid or unasked. If you feel it’s a threat or a danger then by all means work the problem and be done with it. Apparently you already know the “legalities” otherwise you wouldn’t have asked. Sometimes you just have to do what needs done and not post about it.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 10:55 PM

NO
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 11:21 PM

You’ve already opened a can of worms by asking this question on an open forum. F&G will probably be keeping an eye on you. Just saying.........
Posted By: nt2

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 11:32 PM

SSS-Common sense!!!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 11:38 PM

You are getting bad advice-dont break the law.
I'm sure there are avenues to take so you can legally defend your property against wildlife-find out what your responsibilities are in defense of your property,then do it legally.
Posted By: canine933

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/27/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by newtoga
SSS

Exactly!!!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:34 AM

Perfectly legal to do so in Georgia as we really don't have have a definition for "nuisance" wildlife. However, license is required if the property owner chooses to do the trapping and the state offers a free 30 day license to do so. If hired out only a licensed and permitted NWCO may do so.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
A bobcat on my uncles property attacked his dog and got it around the neck area and the dog bled pretty good but Is now doing better. I was wondering if I could trap this animal as ADC or Nuisance work or would I still have to get ahold of the DNR, my bet is the ladder. If I can however trap it how would you guys suggest? Also for anyone wondering this bobcat is in Allen county so the are moving north pretty well apparently.

Why don't you ask your county wildlife officer instead asking on here? The answer will be a resounding no because they are protected in Ohio.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 02:11 AM

Ohio you're going to need a get a special permit from the DOW because bobcats are still a protected species.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by gcs
Probably best not to ask this question....night time is your friend

^^^^this^^^^
And just keep your mouth shut, why did you even post it?

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 02:23 AM

My understanding ever since the bobcat issue came up a few years ago that the depradation permits havent been hard to get. Hardest thing right now is getting a hold of someone in the office or a GW thanks to covid. Supposed to change next week as things the offices can open back up June 2
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
he needs a tougher dog

That was my thought. My dogs come in chewed up a bit once in a while.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:32 PM

Its been 20+ years since I last pulled a tag for bobcat. I'm not up on bobcat habits, but do bobcats normally attach canines without some medical/behavioral condition?

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Its been 20+ years since I last pulled a tag for bobcat. I'm not up on bobcat habits, but do bobcats normally attach canines without some medical/behavioral condition?

Unless the dog is a little ankle biter, odds are the dog was the aggressor or the bobcat had kittens nearby and the thing didn't get the hints. Rabid bobcats are possible.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:48 PM

Hope "Old Yeller" had his shots.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
You’ve already opened a can of worms by asking this question on an open forum. F&G will probably be keeping an eye on you. Just saying.........

Really? He even put legally in the title and mentioned that he will probably have to get ahold of the DNR. Pretty sure that asking a question on how to legally go about resolving a problem will not get you on a watch list. I could see a few of the responses getting others on a watch list though.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 03:10 PM

Use a cage and take the little kitty on vacation, say like the middle of Columbus.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
he needs a tougher dog

Yeah have your friend turn a 15 pound Jack Russel (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) loose on the neighborhood and all the black panther sightings will suddenly become laughable LOL. If those little things got as big as pitt bulls or rotties there wouldn't be enough of us left to keep Trapperman interesting.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 06:23 PM

Agree
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 07:04 PM

Don't ask us! Try your states DNR office.
Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Can I legally trap this bobcat. - 05/28/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
Use a cage and take the little kitty on vacation, say like the middle of Columbus.

Good idea
© 2024 Trapperman Forums