Home

Termintes

Posted By: coonman220

Termintes - 05/29/21 03:03 AM

Is there easy way tell or they very rare ne Iowa ? If notice lot cobwebs cellar an need go to broom, also very fine like salt grain size wood in several places on cellar floor
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 03:15 AM

I understand that you have limited means, but termites are not to be ignored.
Hire a professional.
Waiting will only cost you more in the long run.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 03:18 AM

Many places will do a free inspection.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47
Many places will do a free inspection.

Even if they don't it's around $75.
X3 hire a pro

The termite guys missed one area at my house because it was behind the fridge. He came back and treated. Thankfully they abandoned the site long before.

Here's some pics of the travel way (like a straw) and they eat the back of drywall paper for the cellulose. This came to light because of the fire.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 03:28 AM

Hope that 4th stimulus comes through before your house falls down around your ears.

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 04:08 AM

I don't know, not done any sweeping much basement since late march, unless bettles, hope not termintes , try Google it, they destroy ur wood, wonder if get some poison that kill insects an beetles an termintes, pets don't get lower level but attack bugs, where used live years ago at, never had centipede bug problem but here do, I destroy any centipede on site, they bite an dirty insects, they very fast an tricky for bugs on escaping
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 04:12 AM

If it were beetles, it would be very fine like flour or talcum powder.
Like I said, you can't afford to be wrong about this.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 10:39 AM

If it is small grainy type frass most likely small ants, if very large saw dust looking pieces probably carpenter ants.

If very fine powdery like frass most likely powder post beetles. Powder post beetles can do a lot of damage over the years. Should be very small diameter pin head holes in the wood above the powder area.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 10:52 AM

Termites can be a disaster. My house had tons of termite damage that was missed. The main beam in the basement supporting the house looked fine on the outside, but you could stick a knife in it like a piece of butter.
Posted By: charles

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 11:10 AM

Speak with the owner.

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
If it is small grainy type frass most likely small ants, if very large saw dust looking pieces probably carpenter ants.

If very fine powdery like frass most likely powder post beetles. Powder post beetles can do a lot of damage over the years. Should be very small diameter pin head holes in the wood above the powder area.

It is ants , yes a old house with main beam on jackstands hold it up

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 05:40 PM

I look flashlite, some black ants on ceiling of wood cellar, hope not termintes
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I look flashlite, some black ants on ceiling of wood cellar, hope not termintes

Those are carpenter ants. They'll destroy your house if left alone. Eradicating the carpenter ants is another good use of your stimulus money. I've seen tens of thousands of dollars of damage, done by carpenter ants in 2 different houses. In 1 of the houses, the ants caused a flood by chewing through the wood that held the supports for a waterline.

Keith
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Termintes - 05/29/21 09:32 PM

As I understand it: Termites don't leave cobwebs or sawdust. They eat the wood and bacteria in their gut breaks it down and the bacteria's waste is what the termite lives on. You spray poison to kill that bacteria and they starve to death.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 12:01 AM

Dave, do you have a mortgage on the house or are you renting? I only ask, because if you're renting, you should let the homeowner know about the problem.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 12:50 AM

Dave termites have a "clear" rear end.
If you look at my pics you'll see what the travel way looks like. It's like a fine saw dust that's glued together. The way my termite inspector describes it they throw up what they eat and the saliva is a glue. The straw travel way going vertical along stud and drywall and a filler nest on the stud resting on the seal plate.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 01:03 AM

Termintes or ants both need treated.

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 02:13 AM

I am owner, is there poison for carpenter ants ?
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 03:32 AM

Termidor SC (fipronil) will take care of the ants, termites, and most everything else that comes in contact with it. Exterior use only.

This is dangerous stuff! Read the instructions, precautions, & warnings, wear safety gear when applying, etc.

A professional exterminator may be your best and safest option.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 04:19 AM

Boric acid is effective on ants and it’s cheap, mix 4 teaspoons to half a gallon of apple juice and put it out for the ants. They’ll take it back to the nest also. Should take care of them within two weeks.

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 04:59 AM

Where can get boric acid , if a pet cat get ahold ant an eat it, could poison cat ?
Posted By: run

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 10:11 AM

Boric acid should not harm your cats. Hog slat sells boric acid by 50-55 lb. Bags. Boric acid is a bit expensive but it works.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 12:13 PM

Buy a box of 20 mule team borax at the grocery store. Mix a spoonful with an equal amount of sugar. Add water to make a paste and put it in a jar lid. It will take care of ants.

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 03:10 PM

I got that stuff here, I give it a try, thanks ! The mule team or generic borax well do them in though ?

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 05:07 PM

Don't got sugar, just flour but borax, I wonder if packets sugar substitute at convience store or drive thru that get for coffee would work instead sugar to draw ants ? Never use sugar at home

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 07:03 PM

Probably should use regular sugar or corn syrup.
Posted By: K52

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 07:11 PM

A 4 lb bag of sugar is $2.29 here, go buy the sugar. Small price to pay to save your house.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 07:48 PM

Mix anything sweet with the 20 mule team borax. Got honey? Make a slurry or paste. Kills ants.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 08:10 PM

I wonder if the termintes said " we'll be back " in a mini Arnold Scharzeneger kind of voice when the left the basement. I just need to know
Posted By: canine933

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 09:15 PM

You can always buy the little miniature leg hold or body grip traps for ants....lol!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by canine933
You can always buy the little miniature leg hold or body grip traps for ants....lol!

Do you skin out the ants antenna's or just break them of before you put them on a board ?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 10:34 PM

I thought termintes were on the endangered species list.
Posted By: canine933

Re: Termintes - 05/30/21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by canine933

Do you skin out the ants antenna's or just break them of before you put them on a board ?

They usually bring more if you can skin the antenna's out. it is very tedious work. My hands are too big for the tiny knives you need to use. Fleshing is not fun either...LOL!!!!!

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 01:11 AM

So I mix up on jar lid, about teaspoon an half sugar an 1 teaspoon old mule team borax an water an syrup , watch about 50 ants, 1 dead, the rest crawl in an out, a few act funny, well 1 teaspoon of old mule team, about 6 yrs old stores in bag in cellar , strong enough to kill ants ? Does it kill them right away ?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 01:14 AM

I'm guessing it dosen't kill them immediately Dave. You'll probably notice fewer ants in a few days and then you'll know its working.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 01:30 AM

Spray them with Fluid Film, that stuff is like Grandma's Watkins Salve.....It will cure anything.

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
I'm guessing it dosen't kill them immediately Dave. You'll probably notice fewer ants in a few days and then you'll know its working.
I had ant poison traps in past , very feeble ,Hope works there some huge ants, 2 ones were gone not move in lid, several other act strange, maybe take awhile, but they got go, all sorts in few spots on ceiling
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I had ant poison traps in past , very feeble ,Hope works there some huge ants, 2 ones were gone not move in lid, several other act strange, maybe take awhile, but they got go, all sorts in few spots on ceiling

You want the ants to take the borax solution back to there nest and feed it to their queen and young to kill the colony.

Keith

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 03:21 AM

Oh that what was up, cause I smash about dz them, few were gone in it an others act funny, must work if borax mix in, I thought see ants carry stuff away it , also hornets outside always problem, wasp spray, see ground nests were bulging up or if not more ants, notice lot by foundation were gas line go meter

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 10:01 AM

What he said.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Termintes - 06/01/21 11:52 PM

Mix the Borax 50/50 with a cheap can of soda. An old dish soap bottle will work well to keep it, an makes refilling the dispenser (any old bottle cap or shallow jar lid) easy.

Re: Termintes - 06/03/21 02:05 AM

Must be working, not much to lil ant activity , some stuck lid, I mix up more borax water an lol more sugar but made stronger borax today

Re: Termintes - 06/03/21 10:05 AM

Good job, Dave .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums