Home

Trip To Colorado

Posted By: J Staton

Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 01:19 PM

Never been west of OK and neither has the wife. We decided to take a trip to CO this July. Wife wants to see Denver(why I don't know), Estes Park, and Silverton. Since it seems I'll be traveling CO starting in the northeast and ending in the southwest, is there any must see things along that route?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 01:38 PM

Estes Park is cool elk and sheep to see there, the last time I was in Denver I was not impressed the air smelled like sulfur. I remember opening the door to the hotel and that smell was in the carpet just air pollution that had no place to go, that May of changed by now it was years ago.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 02:51 PM

If you could push that trip to later in September those elk in Estes park will be bugling. Quite a spectacle.

Trail ridge highway (if its not closed) is pretty cool.
Mount Evans highway. Mountain goats and possibly ptarmigan.
Pikes peak
Royal gorge
Blackhawk or central city if you like to gamble
Mesa Verde and 4 corners in SW.

That's all the touristy stuff that comes to mind. There's more I just don't frequent any of them. Nice new Scheels store on the outskirts of Loveland always a good place to stop.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 02:58 PM

You'll have some beautiful scenery.
Great Sands dunes looks awesome. I've never stopped.
Mesa Verde is awesome. There's a statue of my dad in the visitor center.
Pagosa Springs has hot springs.
Great fly fishing around pagosa
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 02:58 PM

Go to Red Rocks amphitheater for a show. I'm not big of that stuff, but I really enjoyed it. Hopefully, it is up and going again!
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:03 PM

Estes and RMNP was a nice trip.

No desire to stop in Denver laugh

We were in Breckenridge last fall and it is nice scenery around there too

Silverton you can take a ride on the railroad, one from Chama New Mexico to Antonito CO was better scenery but kind of out of your way
Posted By: k snow

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:11 PM

On your way back, if you can swing through LaJunta, there is Bent's Old Fort.

Not sure if the Koshare dancers (boy scout troop) still do shows, but they were pretty cool.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:15 PM

I've gotten to travel most of it but the times I have vacationed I have stayed around Colo Springs. In that area there are lots of day trip adventures such as Pikes Peak, Cave of The Winds, Manitou Spgs, etc plus a short trip down to the Royal Gorge.

If you do go down there keep in mind the rangers get kinda fussy about you bull digging the little black tails even if it is just for a picture or 2. Ty Murray and Arron Semies said they are not cool with jumpin elk from a snowmobile either.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:16 PM

Oh and no matter the time of year, if you hang out at 7000 feet or more have 4 seasons worth of clothing to wear sometimes even on the same day
Posted By: Cliffy229

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:24 PM

Along with the change of clothes make sure to stay hydrated and bring sunscreen. The thinner air doesn’t stop nearly as much UV and you will burn much faster then you expect.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 03:29 PM

Well I take that back. sister just told me there is a tourist train that runs through there now.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 04:22 PM

J, which route are you planning to take?

There's nothing to see along the way in northwestern OK... Or at least nothing you would want to get out of an air-conditioned vehicle in July to visit anyway. Maybe Little Sahara... You could see the sand dunes and maybe a roadrunner or two. LOL

Once you get west of Ponca City you're out in some big empty.

Mike
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 06:34 PM

Denver is full of protesters now and it smells like b.o. anyways. Estes park is great, proposed to my wife there. Several white water rafting guides you could check out.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 07:10 PM

Mesa Verde park outside Durango is really cool!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/30/21 07:44 PM

J i dont like promoting democrat states, but if you must i get it. Check out glenwood springs. Hot springs pool there. Also Doc Hollidays grave is there(real short hike).
Might as well hit pueblo and look up Tom Beaudette. He has some good lures and sells guns!
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 12:09 AM

I-70 west from Denver will take you through Glenwood canyon beautiful 18 miles. Then you can go to Grand Junction and the Colorado National Monument, or turn south at DeBeque and come over the Grand Mesa. either way you wind up getting on Hwy 50 to Ridgeway/ Ouray I'd go to Mesa Verde from there (1 1/2 hours) instead of going to Silverton that town is only about a hour to see it all. I live just 30 minutes south of Grand Jct if you need anything as you come through.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 12:55 AM

I spent a good bit of time in Dolores/Ouray and in between.
I would like to get back up there and spend two or three months but I am afraid I wouldn't want to leave.

One of my sons used to do work around Cortez and kept me supplied with pinto beans.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 01:54 AM

The San Juan mountains are fantastic. However, if you drive the Million Dollar highway in that area, it ain’t for the faint of heart.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 03:34 AM

Yep
No oxygen on top of Pikes Peak, better bring some.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 03:40 AM

I dig the area around Grand Junction on over to Cortez.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 01:28 PM

Stop in the outskirts of Denver for lunch on your way to the nice scenery. If you make it to Colorado Springs, the garden of the gods is scenic, and Pikes Peak is a must. Pikes peak is a hairy drive to the top, you will be proud of yourself if you decide to do it. Otherwise there is a cog-train that makes the trip, sit back and enjoy. As said above, Estes Park is very scenic, the drive from Loveland to Estes is nice also. We saw some big horn sheep along the road on the way. Whatever you do, Colorado is a beautiful state you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: J Staton

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the comments. It sure is helping to develop my route.
Posted By: Bill.M

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 10:24 PM

I have worked on a few construction projects over the years in Colorado. In both Denver and the eastern plains. You mentioned that you were starting in the NE corner of the state. I spent a few years in the little town of Sterling working on the correctional facility. Not much to see in that part of the state i would keep on going. Stay away from Colfax Avenue and Larimer square if you go to Denver it is a freak show. The Denver Mint is Downtown and is pretty neat. Cherry creek area is nice but a little pricey the cherry cricket is a good place to eat. The old Lowry Air force base has a nice beer garden and other restaurants. You can raft clear creek in Idaho springs or go 4 wheeling for the day. All of the ski resorts will have activities going on Breckenridge and Vail are the easiest to get to. Aspen is a bit of a drive. Manitou Springs outside of Colorado Springs is a neat town. If your up for a challenge you can hike the Incline. It is 2700 steps straight up the side of the Mountain. Taylor Park near Gunnison has allot going on in the summer. The best part is that there is no humidity compared to the Midwest. Safe travels.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Trip To Colorado - 05/31/21 11:52 PM

Great loop to drive from Gunnison to Pitkin to Tin Cup to Taylor Park to Almont then back to Gunnison. Can see Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Elk, Deer and most times a Martin. Lots of mines. The ride from Pitkin to Tin Cup not for the faint of heart but easily passable with a car (as long as the snow is gone). This loop was my trapline for 2 years in the 80's. Caught coyotes and martin.
Posted By: Bill.M

Re: Trip To Colorado - 06/01/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by eric space
Great loop to drive from Gunnison to Pitkin to Tin Cup to Taylor Park to Almont then back to Gunnison. Can see Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Elk, Deer and most times a Martin. Lots of mines. The ride from Pitkin to Tin Cup not for the faint of heart but easily passable with a car (as long as the snow is gone). This loop was my trapline for 2 years in the 80's. Caught coyotes and martin.

Eric, that must of been a great trapline as I have covered most of those areas while elk hunting, Pitkin, Tin Cup, Texas creek.. You probably would not recognize it now with both sides of Cottowood pass paved. Its a busy place during elk season but unfortunately all of Colorado is now.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums