Home

Bear rubbing pole

Posted By: eric space

Bear rubbing pole - 05/31/21 11:37 PM

Night before last this old boy walked across my lawn and went to rub on the power pole alongside my driveway. Pole gets rubbed and bitten into every year. Picture of the bear is not real good. The base of his ears were the same height as the metal tag with the pole numbers, 6 1/2 feet high. I think this is the same bear I had on trail cam last fall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 12:01 AM

Probably pulls a disappearing act during the season
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 12:30 AM

That is how I found one of my best bait areas here. DNR had a gate across a forest road that was a old high line pole. The bears had that rubbed and chewed pretty good. It showed the color of a few of the different bears in the area. Been using the area for closs to 30 years with good success.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 12:35 AM

He’s a Dandy
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 02:07 AM

I think they are attracted to creosote treatment. Forest Service road signs are favorite in this area.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 02:08 AM

Bear love "certain" poles.
Haven't figgered out the connection yet.
Been seeing 8t for many years.
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 02:09 AM

I think they are attracted to the creosote treatment. Forest Service sign posts are favorite targets in this area.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 02:11 AM

Same reason as hogs?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 03:05 AM

Warrior beat me to it. Anytime I want a hog I can scatter a little corn around this one telephone pole and a boar will show up. Sat out one night in the dark with a good wind just waiting until I heard him rubbing before hitting the light and lighting him up! That pole has marks around it from years of use.

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 03:55 AM

Try this.

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 03:56 AM

If only it was legal here.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 10:21 AM

Warrior you don't want to haul heavy stuff in and out of a customer's place but when they replace poles a lot of electric coops will let you have some of the old poles.

Even laying flat on the ground they are attractive to the hogs and of course it is the bottom end where the creosote has run down into they like. I have always assumed it helps them with mites and lice control.

As far as Eric's bear- chute it!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Bear rubbing pole - 06/01/21 02:06 PM

Here in Northern Wis, Utilities had to replace poles as bears chewed them almost off creating dangerous situations. Now any new poles going up have either sheet metal or hvy duty wire fence around pole. If i can find pics of damage ill post.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums