Home

A FAMILY HISTORY

Posted By: Bogmaster

A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 01:35 AM

Just picked up a book on my mothers side of the family.I am just getting into it but have found out a couple of interesting facts. I had 2 relatives arrive here in 1620 on the Mayflower.The 12 year old girl was the first female ashore at Plymouth.Also had another relative that served in the revolutionary war it also listed those he served under.
It's now time to go through the entire book, I just wish it would have gone all the way up to today.
Tom
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 01:40 AM

Very cool
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 02:30 AM

Very interesting. We all need to slow down and take a look at family history. I was given my grandfather’s scrap book of his time in the Pacific theater. Very interesting. My grandma never told me she made it
Posted By: nightlife

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Just picked up a book on my mothers side of the family.I am just getting into it but have found out a couple of interesting facts. I had 2 relatives arrive here in 1620 on the Mayflower.The 12 year old girl was the first female ashore at Plymouth.Also had another relative that served in the revolutionary war it also listed those he served under.
It's now time to go through the entire book, I just wish it would have gone all the way up to today.
Tom

Late comers, some of mine meet the boat, and others came in the 1560s where they were with the Spanish garrison in Florida

All discovered by my aunt who is really into the genealogy thing

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:01 AM

My dads side came from Sweden to Nebraska in 1900. After 1 year they moved to the Sandstone Mn. area. That farm is still in the family and owned and operated by my cousin and her family. Better country for black angus than corn.
Tom
Posted By: warrior

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:21 AM

1774 was when my boatload of highlanders off loaded in South Carolina. A few years later they answered the call when Cornwallis asked for loyalists. Didn't work out to well and that's how they ended up in Mississippi territory in time for Alabama to be carved out.

Granny played hob trying to join the DAR. Had to dig through her mama's side to find an Armistead who served in the revolution.
Posted By: Savell

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:29 AM

... my mother keeps the genealogy books ... some great individuals we come from ..carved a nation out of the wilderness

.... I’ll bite my tongue on what it’s become though

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:42 AM

I have to go get a copy of a 1919 St.paul,MN. newspaper from my sister.My great grandmothers obituary is the front page of the paper. Her and my great grandfather were farming in MN. during the mid 1800s.They survived what was called the Sioux uprising of 1862.
I remember the obituary stating that they survived on venison and Johnny cake for 10 years.
Tom
Posted By: warrior

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 06:31 AM

Savell, my kinfolk rubbed shoulders with one of your texican heroes. Col. William Travis spent much of his life and law practice in Clarkesville, now a ghost town, in Clarke County, AL before abandoning his wife to go fight Santa Anna.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 06:54 AM

I had at least 168 direct ancestors here before 1700. I am descended from William Brewster, the Pilgrim's Senior Elder and his wife Mary, who came over on the Mayflower in 1620. I had an ancestor in Jamestown by 1611 and 3 more by 1614.

William Hawkins, a many great grandfather of mine was the first Englishman to go to Brazil in 1500. His son Sir Admiral John Hawkins started the US slave trade and was the first person to bring tobacco to Europe.

My many great grandfather, Prince Henry First Sinclair of Orkney Born in Scotland is believed by many to have made a voyage of discovery to North America in 1398. After wintering in Nova Scotia, he sailed to Massachusetts and on an inland expedition in 1399 to Prospect Hill to view the surrounding countryside.

Keith

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 02:56 PM

If only we could go back and meet our ancestors.
Tom
Posted By: k snow

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:00 PM

My first ancestor came here in 1634 as an indentured servant. He lied about his age, claiming to be 18 when he was 15. Family lived in Massachusetts until 1834, then they moved to Wisconsin, been here since. I have 3 relatives that fought in the Revolution, a dozen or so in the Civil War and many vets since.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:34 PM

I am half Ukrainian, quarter Irish, quarter German. I come from a long line of Gypsies and horse thieves.

Moosetrot

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:46 PM

LOL--sounds like you were featured in a Cher song--gypsies ,tramps and thieves.
Tom
Posted By: Savell

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Savell, my kinfolk rubbed shoulders with one of your texican heroes. Col. William Travis spent much of his life and law practice in Clarkesville, now a ghost town, in Clarke County, AL before abandoning his wife to go fight Santa Anna.

.. Warrior... mine came to Texas from South Carolina to fight Mescins lol

... Historic Tombstone in the cemetery where most of my kin are buried

.. buried my grandma there near him a few months ago

[Linked Image]
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 03:56 PM

Mothers side showed up @1900, germans - longhoffers, kleins and riffels.
Dads side been here awhile, a grandfather way back wore a handlebar mustache and was a barber in a cowtown in kansas(1800's).

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:21 PM

Family legend has it that my Great Grandfather Jimmy McBrien served a Sheriff for Buffalo, N.Y. I remember as a kid being shown a picture of him in a chair leaning up against the wall of the jail. He also went west in the Gold Rush...not sure which one.

Moosetrot

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:31 PM

1692 one of my relations liked to do magic tricks--he was hung as a witch,along with 7 women also accused to be witches.
Tom

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:38 PM

I can't match that one Tom! LOL

Moosetrot
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:43 PM

Well I am related to Daniel Boone so there's that.

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:46 PM

My sister told me another female ancestor was also hung as a witch--I haven't gotten to that one yet. The male that was hung was a Quaker--which did not set well with the puritans.
Now I think I know why so many of my relatives headed to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Lack of witch trials there.
Tom
Posted By: walleye101

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 04:56 PM

My sister told me another female ancestor was also hung as a witch--I haven't gotten to that one yet. The male that was hung was a Quaker--which did not set well with the puritans.
Now I think I know why so many of my relatives headed to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Lack of witch trials there.
Tom

I think MN just had their witch trial recently.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 06:50 PM

I can't even find evidence of my parents marriage, circa 1946.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 07:04 PM

www.familysearch.org is an excellent, free resource for finding your pedigree information.

Keith
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 07:26 PM

Tom

That is so neat! I love that kind of history. Pretty amazing stuff.
The show Mysteries At The Museum has a lot of interesting historical subject on there similar to this. One of my favorite shows.
Posted By: LDW

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/03/21 09:12 PM

My grandpa on my mother's side always told me that I was Irish and Dutch and didn't amount to much. My grandma would holler at him for saying that and he would get such a big laugh out of it.
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/04/21 12:22 AM

I don't know how many greats it is but George Clymer signed the Declaration of Independence. He is my however many greats grandfather. Bogmaster, were you raised around Afton? That's where a lot of those Clymers ended up.

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/04/21 12:30 AM

Went to school with George Clymer.Lived a mile from Afton for the last36 years.
Sadly I heard at our 50th reunion,that George died many years ago.
Tom
Posted By: Pike River

Re: A FAMILY HISTORY - 06/04/21 12:46 AM

Tom

Nothing keeping you from updating it for your descendants.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums