Home

State fur Slam

Posted By: wetdog

State fur Slam - 06/03/21 06:04 PM

This subject came up last season and I thought it was a good challenge for a trapper to target and catch all the differnt furbearers in a given state.
How many have done this on purpose?
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 06:25 PM

My goal was to do it as a trapper in WI. I was able to do it within my first 3 years of trapping minus a wolf. The bobcats I caught were in coyote sets and had to be released.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 06:25 PM

ND has 3 critters that are a one and done, Fischers, otters and Bobcat. Living on the east side of the state gave me the opportunity to harvest fischers and ottters but the bobcat zone is extreme western ND, now that I've moved west I have the ability to go after bobcat. This would be the trifecta for ND...and that's my plan.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by grumley701
ND has 3 critters that are a one and done, Fischers, otters and Bobcat. Living on the east side of the state gave me the opportunity to harvest fischers and ottters but the bobcat zone is extreme western ND, now that I've moved west I have the ability to go after bobcat. This would be the trifecta for ND...and that's my plan.

We have the same 3 one and done here. Otter is in a limited area, not near me but I've seen them in my local rivers.
The odd furbearer here is the porcupine. I did get one last season in a Fisher cubby on deer meat and skunk juice.
Posted By: MJM

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 09:06 PM

I don't think bobcats are one and done in ND. Pretty sure they are not. From the sounds of it they may open the season in most the state.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 09:14 PM

I got 2 left in Montana to catch, fisher and wolverine.
But don't even have a season on wolverine any more.
We have plenty but the animal lover's got that shut down.
Oh I guess a lynx to but would be nice to catch and release one.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I don't think bobcats are one and done in ND. Pretty sure they are not. From the sounds of it they may open the season in most the state.

Well that's a bit of good news in a world gone mad...I stand corrected.
Posted By: MJM

Re: State fur Slam - 06/03/21 10:10 PM

From what I hear, everything but the NE corner may open to bobcat hunting/trapping with limits like otter and fisher have. The limit would only apply to the new area. There is a small breeding population up there in the NE and they are scared they would/could be wiped out if a season was opened. A big part of the reason for the expansion is because of people reporting incidental catches and sightings.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: State fur Slam - 06/04/21 12:33 AM

We have 17 furbearers that can be trapped legally. My best go at taking all in one season came up short. All I lacked was a Least Weasel, a Bobcat, and a Red Fox, of all things. Reds were nearly gone for a few years. We have more today. The Least Weasel is still my White Whale to this day!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums