Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/05/21 10:20 PM

Good news!
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 04:00 PM

Now we are getting somewhere!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 04:29 PM

I heard the libs don't want them to appeal it for fear it would go to the SCOTUS and if the SCOTUS upheld the ruling, all states would have to abide by it.
Posted By: white17

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 05:43 PM

I suspect that CA will request an en banc hearing from the 9th and that will be the end of the favorable ruling until another ten years have passed. Once SCOTUS is configured the way the DEMS prefer it, then the case might be heard at that level.
Or, more likely, the 9th will issue a permanent stay and just never get around to hearing the case
Posted By: Marty

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 07:06 PM

everything today is maneuvered 'within the rules' so it goes how the progressives want it to go....court decisions, elections, laws and the list goes on...

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 11:07 PM

Maneuvers or not if I feel infringed the offending law should be scrapped.

.I approve of this message

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/06/21 11:56 PM

To even try to understand a liberals definition of an assault rifle is near impossible
Posted By: James

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 12:37 AM

Great news!

I knew those donations would help.

Jim
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by James
Great news!

I knew those donations would help.

Jim

grin

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I suspect that CA will request an en banc hearing from the 9th and that will be the end of the favorable ruling until another ten years have passed. Once SCOTUS is configured the way the DEMS prefer it, then the case might be heard at that level.
Or, more likely, the 9th will issue a permanent stay and just never get around to hearing the case

Well, aren't we just overly positive and optimistic today.....!

Pete

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 03:13 PM

grin

I think "realistic" is a better term

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 03:17 PM

grin
Posted By: waggler

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 04:06 PM

I'm curious why you don't think that SCOTUS will take up this case; especially considering the current makeup of the court. I would assume that if the majority are contructionists, they would want to address this before the Court might be changed by court packing.

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by waggler

I'm curious why you don't think that SCOTUS will take up this case; especially considering the current makeup of the court. I would assume that if the majority are contructionists, they would want to address this before the Court might be changed by court packing.

A couple of reasons.

First, before it can get to SCOTUS there needs to be two or more conflicting decisions from the appellate level. Let's assume that the 9th circuit smacks down the lower court's decision. Then the plaintiffs could appeal to SCOTUS. But 2A cases have been rejected for the past ten years because the strict constuctionists on the court could not trust that Roberts would not betray them. So they might not hear this challenge to CA law. I don't really think that calculus has changed very much. We sure can't count on Roberts and I'm not convinced about Kavanaugh either.

But if the 9th supports the lower court AND for instance IL or NY pass a similar law, and IF it was challenged up to the circuit level, and IF that different circuit found against IL/NY now you have two opposing decisions on the same issue, from two different appellate courts.

I think SCOTUS would be more likely to consider hearing that case..............but it would take several years to get to that point.

The best that we can reasonably hope for is that the 9th circuit will uphold the lower court's decision. I will be very surprised if that happens.

CA may not appeal that decision if they fear that SCOTUS will rule against them. A decision like that would apply to the entire country rather than only those states covered by the 9th circuit. Democrats do not want that outcome.

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 04:54 PM

Exactly what I had read White. They don't want it appealed because with Trumps remake of the 9th questions their ruling and even if they reverse it and its appealed to SCOTUS, they feel they'll lose.

Hard to believe the libs left that many seats to be filled, but I'm love'n it!!!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Exactly what I had read White. They don't want it appealed because with Trumps remake of the 9th questions their ruling and even if they reverse it and its appealed to SCOTUS, they feel they'll lose.

Hard to believe the libs left that many seats to be filled, but I'm love'n it!!!

"Hard to believe the libs left that many seats to be filled"; Really?
Libs in generally don't like to work, or do anything else productive; that requires effort and thought. The process of selecting judges (not just yapping about the nominee) takes time and effort. This time their laziness bit them in the butt. I'm love'n it too.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Well O bummer thought he would leave that chore to Hilderbeast when she takes office. They never thought that Trump would win.

Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California’s Assault We - 06/07/21 05:35 PM

Trump didn't shrug off his duty to America and did his job.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums