Home

Weed ID

Posted By: AJE

Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:17 PM

No, not that kind of weed.

I need help identifying the weed in these pictures. It sprawls along the ground. It doesn't stand up straight. It sort of hugs the ground, almost like a webbing. It pulls super easy, basically having almost no root system. It loves sun, but seems to do ok in shade. It appears to be the plant that produces those tiny burrs that stick to your pants like velcro. I have it on my property pretty thick. It seems annoying, though I'm not sure if it is a real bad weed or an invasive. Thanks
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope you all are staying cool. I have about 95° today.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:22 PM

Most of us will open this for the wrong reason.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:26 PM

In Wisconsin, that plant was called bedstraw. Not sure of the scientific name.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:31 PM

Maybe cleavers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium_aparine

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:33 PM

[Linked Image]

It seems aggressive

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 10:38 PM

Cleavers is another common name. It is aggressive but if you pull it up completely, it rarely comes back in the same spot. It is fun and easy to pull.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 11:16 PM

Wissmiss, may I invite you to bags of fun at my place ??? smile
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 11:31 PM

We have it all over the place, anywhere I don't mow. We've been calling it "Sticky Weed" because it does stick to just about anything, including our dogs. It has really increased in recent years. It does pull easily so if WissMiss wants to stop here and have a weekend of fun she's welcome!

Moosetrot

Re: Weed ID - 06/05/21 11:35 PM

If I lived closer to Wisconsin and/or Tennessee, I’d love to stop by and spend a couple hours pulling that weed. I’ve darn near eradicated it from my garden area.

It pulls so easily and often in long sticky strands that I like working with it. I know, I know, I’m not normal. But I like it that way. LOL
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 12:02 AM

Cleavers
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 12:52 AM

Northern Bedstraw, Galium boreale is my guess.
I have it all over in the woods, like partial shade/sun. Its a native plant and has no downsides.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 12:56 AM

take a look

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/catchweed-bedstraw-galium-aparine/

Definitely a bedstraw, in the Galium genus
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 01:06 AM

It's definitely bedstraw. We called it cling weed as kids. We would throw it at each other, because it easily sticks to clothing. I have small amounts of bedstraw here. I pulled some earlier today. The burs get stuck on my socks and pants hems but come off pretty easily.

Keith.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 01:18 AM

Here old timers always called it beggars lice cause it’s sticks to everything. I have it everywhere on my property.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 01:33 AM

Beggars lice are a lot harder to get off clothing than bedstraw. I dislike all the plants with burs and really hate beggars lice. I have spent many hours pulling beggars lice off of my clothing and hairy legs and arms. Beggars lice often break and leave a piece permanently attached to clothing. Beggars lice grow upright and stick to you from the plant much longer than bedstraw.

Keith
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 01:37 AM

We here call it "preachers lice".
Don't know why?

Clingy stuff for sure.

Re: Weed ID - 06/06/21 04:22 AM

"Left on their own, they remain low and sprawling, forming dense tangles only a foot or so in height, shading out any smaller plants they grow over."

That is 1 of the things it says on Dirty D's link.
I don't like this plant.
It might be too late in the year already to remove, I'm not sure. It seems to be quite agressive. I imagine it really sticks to furbearers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums