Home

Heavy move??

Posted By: mutt

Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 10:38 PM

Looking at possibly acquiring a heavy safe.(2500# give or take)
I have a dump trailer capable of hauling, but I'm brainstorming ideas for loading.
Safe is 1900's era ruffly 2'x2' 3.5' tall, sitting on metal wheels.

Ideally I could set the ramps and use a chain hoist to pull it up and in likely by myself or with only 1 other guy. My concern is my ramps are only 4' and I don't know what kind of angle I will get if I would go this route. I'm guessing the trailer is about 16" high, it will probably squat 4" as the weight loads up.

I will be going to inspect it this week, and to scope out the location and formulate a plan if I were to buy it.
It is on concrete in a garage, so as far as I know now getting it up into the trailer is the only vertical challenge

In the mean time anyone got any "redneck" techniques I could consider.
Any rental gear anyone might know of that is more portable than a forklift.

IM WELL AWARE OF THE SAFETY FACTOR, HUMAN SAFETY WILL NOT BE IGNORED TO ACOMPLISH THIS.
I KNOW THERE ARE PROFESSIONALS THAT CAN BE HIRED TO DO THIS.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 10:49 PM

We used a car wrecker to move ours.
Posted By: TNorman

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 10:51 PM

You can raise the bed to improve your angle until you get it started in the trailer.
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 11:02 PM

You can roll the safe to the edge of the trailer and lift it with a floor jack and push the safe on it's side. Run a strap from the tongue of the trailer back to the safe to help tip/control it. I would use cardboard or something to keep from scratching it.

Warning - the Red Green show get there ideas from me
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 11:14 PM

Have a friend with a rollback car hauler???
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 11:54 PM

Assuming there is somewhere to put a comalong on the front of the dump trailer, preferably high but the D rings in front will work, just run a chain through them and put the comalong in the middle of them. Put the ramps down, tilt the trailer up, lay plywood (or whatever wood you have) over the ramps, put a stout rope or strap around the safe and just winch it in. You may need a pry bar to get the lip of the safe over the edge of the plywood but it should ride up pretty smoothly. We used to load alot of logs this way.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/06/21 11:54 PM

A tractor with a boom and bucket is my go to for heavy items. Works good for butcherin too
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 01:31 AM

Skid steer
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 02:00 AM

See if you can rent a drop deck trailer from the local rental place. Kind of trailer they usually haul those scissor/man lifts with.

Deck will drop flat on the ground and make moving the safe a whole lot easier.

I know you have a dump trailer but I think renting a drop deck would be money well spent
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 02:07 AM

Skidsteer with trailer, quick fast and in a hurry plus its safe.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
We used a car wrecker to move ours.

Tow truck services will move heavy items, that they can easily access, like the safe, for the same price as a normal tow usually.

Keith
Posted By: mutt

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 02:57 AM

Thanks guys,
Doners plan is pretty much the same idea I was picturing.
Dad only has a 25hp tractor, so that ain't gonna lift it. I don't think any skidsteer I could rent around here is gonna have the lift capacity either.
There is a family tow company in town im gonna talk to see if they would as a back up. I'm sure the rollback with a winch would work pretty slick.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 03:35 AM

Just get enough men to help you pick it up to set it up there
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by grisseldog
Just get enough men to help you pick it up to set it up there

Number of strong backs = numbers of of cases of cold beer always works.
grin

Been there , done that. Cold beer is a good motivator.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 07:21 AM

After reading others post count me as a skid steer vote. They can be rented for small amounts, are easy to run, and do the work of 25 to 3i men each day.

All of the fencing crews that used to have a JD 4020 show up with a bobcat anymore.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 09:38 AM

Make some rollers out of 4 inch pvc pipe and lay it on the side, with a helper, you should e good to go.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 10:08 AM

I've been in on several safe moving jobs. One we had in a 2 story 120 year old building. No way was we going to take down those rickety steps. We cribbed up and got it up to the window sill and had a crane take it out the upstairs window. How they ever got it up there without someone getting killed in the process is beyond me. But they built the pyramids without any cranes, lol.

Another time we bought a 100 ton press. We went to get it on a holiday and no one was was available with any kind of loader. It was a long way from home and didn't want to make the drive again. The guy did have a set of rollers and we come a longed it to the door.He also had bunch of 4x4's and we cribbed it up even with the trailer and flipped it over on a bunch of old tires.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 10:48 AM

see if you can dig a hole for your tires on the trailer to go into so you have less of a angle
Posted By: cls84

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 12:04 PM

Not Fun! Been there did that! We took a old safe out of a jewelry story when it closed. My guess was 3ft x 6ftx16" on wheels. We borrowed a skidloader and a flatbed from a friend to haul it. We got it out of the story and on to the sidewalk when we discovered the skid wouldn't lift it. I guess those old ones are filled with concrete for fire proofing. We had to go and rent the biggest skid from a farm supply implement. Went back loaded it up and then hauled it through town to the final resting place. It was only later on we discovered that the door of the safe had a container of tear gas in behind the lock in case anyone tried messing with it. FYI be careful those old ones suck and are full of surprises!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 12:13 PM

Pulleys are your friend and they are cheaper than tow trucks and skid steers.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 06:04 PM

Heavy beam tri-pod, hoist safe, back trailer under it, set it down. Easy Peasy.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 09:36 PM

If you only need to lift it a couple (or maybe 3) feet vertically: Just use cribbing. 4x4's, 2x4's and some 1" boards and a jack. Jack one side an inch or two and slide a board under and then the other side. It doesn't take long to walk it up to the height you need.

Once it's at trailer height, back right up to the cribbing and you can drag it off of the cribbing and onto the trailer with a come-along. Just make sure your top course of cribbing is perpendicular to the trailer to allow it to slide off without the stack coming apart.

Of course, with the price of 2x4s and 4x4's it might be cheaper to purchase a forklift.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/07/21 11:41 PM

When the weight of the safe hits the bed, those springs will sag, and you could dump the load.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/08/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Heavy beam tri-pod, hoist safe, back trailer under it, set it down. Easy Peasy.

This-shade tree mechanics change out car engines like this.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/08/21 12:15 PM

The perfect stress free way....Plant an acorn beside the safe. Wait fifty or sixty years, attach a hoist to a stout limb and load it. Patience is a virtue grin
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Heavy move?? - 06/08/21 01:34 PM

Tripod lift is my 1st try also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums