Home

Best way to sell AR rifle?

Posted By: Jackdale

Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:00 PM

I'm wanting to sell a ar-10 I have. I'd like to sell it locally and avoid shipping and not wanting to learn how to transfer money and all of that. Got any advice?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:10 PM

The way things are going, I would hold on to it for a while longer if I was you .... just sayin
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:27 PM

I bet if you post an add somewhere your phone will be ringing non stop.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:30 PM

Check your state laws. I can tell you that here in PA, you can just sell it, No big deal. I've bought quite a few rifles off of people just showing up to there home. I always (as a buyer) make them sign a bill of sale that I keep on file just to cover my butt in case it ever turned up stolen or something but other than that, in PA, you don't have to go through a FFL for a long gun.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Check your state laws. I can tell you that here in PA, you can just sell it, No big deal. I've bought quite a few rifles off of people just showing up to there home. I always (as a buyer) make them sign a bill of sale that I keep on file just to cover my butt in case it ever turned up stolen or something but other than that, in PA, you don't have to go through a FFL for a long gun.

Do you have to transfer a handgun?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by headache73

Paperwork needs to be done on handguns going to other states the last time I called the ATF that’s what I was told.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 11:09 PM

Federal law allows firearm sales between individuals who are residents of the same state without a FFL being involved or background checks being required. Some state laws are more restrictive. I doubt Mt is one of them but you should check. Then advertise or just carry to a local gun show. An AR10 is a valuable rifle, good luck with your sale.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by headache73

If you are transferring it to a non relative I believe you have to go through an FFL. If it's a hand me down like from your father or something, I believe you can just take possession. At least that is the way it used to be. I haven't dealt with buying handguns in a private sale very often so I may not be 100% correct. And again, this is PA law only!
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/07/21 11:35 PM

If you are transferring it to a non relative I believe you have to go through an FFL. If it's a hand me down like from your father or something, I believe you can just take possession. At least that is the way it used to be. I haven't dealt with buying handguns in a private sale very often so I may not be 100% correct. And again, this is PA law only!

Close family, parents and siblings. The idea is that you know the person well and would know if they have a felony.

Otherwise you go to a ffl holder and do the paper work just like if you were buying it from the dealer.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/08/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher
They're good as gold right now, I'd keep it until things are settled a bit more with the regime change..

Sell high, buy low. Now is the time to sell.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/08/21 12:54 AM

Law Dog, I knew about different states. He said in state you didn't need a transfer for a long gun. In Missouri you can buy or sell any legal gun in state with no transfer. I didn't know if Pennsylvania had different laws for a handgun. Learn something new every day. Interesting
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/08/21 02:48 AM

Private transaction.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/08/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Sell high, buy low. Now is the time to sell.
Way too simple.

Assume the gun is worth $500 today. With what I see happening to our economy. in a year or two that $500 might be enough to buy lunch. The gun will be worth several day's wages.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best way to sell AR rifle? - 06/08/21 02:17 PM

Things like that are easy to move at a gun show
© 2024 Trapperman Forums