Home

Fishing Lure ?

Posted By: BvrRtrvr

Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 03:58 AM

Earlier today I picked up a bucket full of large, muskie type lures. Most seem to be in the 8"-12" size, and are made of wood.
The look like they need a good cleaning. What might be the best way to accomplish that? Toothpaste & brush? Mild borax bath?
They might need a little bit of paint touch up as well. What kind of paint would be best? Find something local, or do I need to be looking
at Cabela's/Bass Pro Shop?

I added 1 photo too many & couldn't figure out how to delete it.
In the 1st 2 pix it looks like the 2 on the left are some version of the old Creek Chub Pikie, but
have no markings. No markings at all on the other 2. In the 3rd pic the River Runt is the only
1 with ID. In pic 4 the 3rd, 5th, & 6th are Rapala. No markings on the others. The ones with
the squared lip remind me of the Creek Chub type.

So...are these users, collector type, or sellers?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: cmcf

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 04:15 AM

Sounds like you have a good handle on the clean up phase.
For the paint I would look at the enamels used in modeling. Testors for example.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 06:15 AM

Are they old? You may want to look at posting some pics of the lures and maybe someone can shed some light if there is any value if they are indeed old. If not clean, paint, or use.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 06:25 AM

Don't even rhink about cleaning them up, and most important DO NOT "touch up the paint" if there is any chance they are antique and collectable.
Do some research before you do anything, they might be worth a small fortune.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 10:26 AM

I would agree on not doing anything to them. The best lures are sometimes really banged up with hook marks and fish bites.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/08/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Don't even rhink about cleaning them up, and most important DO NOT "touch up the paint" if there is any chance they are antique and collectable.
Do some research before you do anything, they might be worth a small fortune.

Originally Posted by Green Bay
I would agree on not doing anything to them. The best lures are sometimes really banged up with hook marks and fish bites.

X3 Consider this!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/09/21 01:05 AM

Right person =right time
prices are moved by 50 dollar increments.
yuppy ville during a boat show for those front lakeshore cottagers,
or and a good interior designer re-doing their cottage
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/09/21 01:31 AM

YeeeHaa antique road show here we come! $100 antique Husky jerk baits! Heck we gots ourselves a 75 year new old stock Pikie Minnow! Complete with unopened box and sleev!
But wait the real show stopper is a double treble hooked hand carved hand painted lost duckling! So realistic the hen will be trying to herd it back into the rest of the brood!
Please post the results of your bonanza after you get the collection relocated to their new home.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/09/21 03:56 AM

Did you buy them for antique value or to turn a profit or to put on a leader and cast for muskies? I don't know anything about the antique value of large older wooden lures, but I do have a couple that look like they were hit by a chain saw a few times and they still work for me.

Bryce

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/10/21 08:48 PM

I don't have a rod big enough to fling most of these. What I can't use I am planning on selling.
I should have some pictures of them to post later this evening. Maybe some of you could tell
me if these are worth keeping, have collectors' value, or just sell them as 'users'.

Re: Fishing Lure ? - 06/11/21 05:47 AM

These spinners were also in the same bucket. Some of them look OK but a few of them are in rough shape.
You might recognize 2 or 3 of them as Mepps, but I have no idea about the others. Most of these are 6 inches or
better in length. And I've never seen anything like the last one. Maybe put a stem on it & use it for a mixer blade?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums