Home

Pray for rain.

Posted By: run

Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:24 PM

Much of the West is in a drought. We're a bit on the dry side here in Virginia too. Most of the crops should be planted by now. What do the rest of you have to say?
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:33 PM

Ugh. So sick of rain here. I can't even get my garden tilled.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:40 PM

We were having good rain ....could use some now

I got my Garden in complete , yesterday.

Moisture wad there down an inch under
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:45 PM

Been drier than a popcorn fart here. Over 5 inches behind in rainfall this year. Way behind in snowfall this winter. Last three months have been way over average temps. Bring on the rain
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:46 PM

Here in southern Ontario we had frost at end of May which caused crop damage. I was out with my son turkey hunting at end of season and spoke to farmers, the damage is such that some are considering re-seeding fields.

Hope the summer months are good otherwise it will a tough year.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:46 PM

Dry. We had some rain last TH, but then it got hot and windy, so that didnt help much. It sprinkled a little yesterday, but today we're getting a nice steady rain. We need it
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:54 PM

Getting some moisture but its still drying up quickly the rat ponds are about dry but that is a common cycle for this area. Wife could not walk in the garden a few weeks ago not it tillable no problem. Out in the Black Hills it was tough to find a dry couple of days in a row this spring out there rain/ snow about every day it seemed like. Sweltering hot now a little down pour would be great.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:55 PM

We are dry here also. Been watering the garden for a couple weeks. Supposed to get some rain today, but long term forecast looks pretty dry. I mowed the grass down by the creek without the tractor tires getting wet. First time in 3 years.
Posted By: BFP

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 12:56 PM

It’s as dry as I’ve ever seen lt here.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 01:01 PM

Finally have had about 5 day break from the rain. Maybe get caught up on the haying and rest of soybeans planted. But you don't have to go very far away and they are praying for rain.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 01:03 PM

About to sprout gills here. 1 to 3" and hour they are saying north west Mississippi. Flash floods until 6 PM. Wish could redirect some you folks way.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 01:05 PM

Draught is real bad here. Numerous Lakes are at record low levels. It rained a few days last week but not enough to makeup for a dry winter. There's already been several fires here. Arizona is on fire too.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 01:11 PM

Latest drought index map. Pretty dry North and West.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 02:15 PM

I'd sure like to donate some of the rain we have been getting here. It has been almost daily the last couple of weeks
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 03:54 PM

My part of Ohio keeps missing all the rain. We had a 90% chance of rain this morning and got bupkus. Rest of the week is supposed to be wetter.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 07:25 PM

Living on the Great Plains..............If we didn't have droughts and occasional flooding I would worry about the climate changing ! ! ! ! Mike's proverb: "You have to be either GREAT or PLAIN CRAZY to live here".................... the mike
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 08:49 PM

The rain last night missed us. We have been below normal moisture since last November. Really getting dry now as we have had 85-92 for 3-4 days with winds from 10-25 mph and low humidity. 1st cutting hay was very good, but 2nd is not greening up. Watering garden as well. June is our wettest month on average with July the 2nd driest month, could get pretty ugly here if we have normal rainfall even from here out. Lake Winnebago is down about 2 feet from this time last year. The mention of Lake Winnebago being down 2 feet has changed. They lowered for the spring runoff and the misgauged the spring thaw flow and the spring rains were low, so they raised the release dam and it is now at about normal levels but below the high levels of the last couple years.

Bryce
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 09:01 PM

I began irrigating about 4-5 weeks sooner than normal this year. Driest spring that I can recall. Wild fire season is expected to be intense again. Fires already reported.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 09:41 PM

We finally got some yesterday and today!! Not a front so to speak, just rain cells that have been coming in from the South. Plots and duck holes were planted last week so this is much much needed rain. Seeing poults and quail chicks so we don’t need the hours long downpours, just need what we are getting.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 09:54 PM

Started out with a dry spring but then got 4"-6" over night. Late frost stunted most of the hay crop and now with very little if any rain since, most farmers are dealing with a very good possibility of not having enough hay for cattle this winter. Roads are so dusty that you have to clean or change out air filters in equipment or run the risk of engine failure. Been watering my garden and small trees in hopes of some rain soon.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 10:10 PM

We sure could some serious precipitation here.
Posted By: obaro

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 10:33 PM

Had 9.70" of rain here at my house in the month of May, as much as I can ever remember in a calendar month in this region. Was getting a little desperate up until May.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/08/21 10:47 PM

Sure feel for folks needing rain. We’ve been pretty normal. Normal cool temps and wet spring; which generally turns hot, dry, and dusty. When the hot starts, any day now, we’ll have to irrigate our garden. Farmers will irrigate crops, but not all have irrigation. The crop production differences between irrigated vs, non-irrigated is pretty large at times.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 01:10 AM

That drought map will darken in color for se SD and nw IA next week (those maps are a week behind). 2nd week of in the 90s and no rain. Even the super crops, being at the stage they are now with no sub-surface moisture, will start to fail without decent rain in the next 2 weeks. I'm hauling water to one garden and having to water two others already. Bad news unless things change.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
That drought map will darken in color for se SD and nw IA next week (those maps are a week behind). 2nd week of in the 90s and no rain. Even the super crops, being at the stage they are now with no sub-surface moisture, will start to fail without decent rain in the next 2 weeks. I'm hauling water to one garden and having to water two others already. Bad news unless things change.

NW corner of the state is getting hammered tonight over 7 inches in some areas.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

And Law Dog that is part of the problem with the trend of getting most of your annual precip in only a few events. Anyway, the grass will turn green up there for the next 6 weeks...
Posted By: MJM

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

They were saying the same for some parts of ND yesterday. It showed I was going to get 1-3" and I ended up with 11/100s So the side walk got wet. It is really dry here. Nothing in the pastures, hay about 1/4 as tall as it should be at best.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
We were having good rain ....could use some now

I got my Garden in complete , yesterday.

Moisture wad there down an inch under

I think you're more east of me. I'm north of St Cloud. We haven't had measurable rain in at least 2 weeks. I water my garden every evening, but with the heat, sun, and wind combination, my garden's dry by evening.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 03:15 PM

Its been too wet here in So. IL. About 6" of rain last week, with 4.5" coming in less than 24 hrs. Yesterday, we had another 1.5" it never stops. Need to replant some corn, get the beans in the ground, and wheat is getting close. The ground is just too saturated, even gardens are drowning. It would be nice if it would dry out for 2 weeks so we could get some stuff done. I know we will be praying for rain in July, August, and September, but for now I wish it would stop.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pray for rain. - 06/09/21 03:37 PM

Watched shopping carts fly across the Walmart parking lot last night as I was waiting for a break. Getting soaked again today. I think we need some water pipelines to lake Mead that feeds off the missippi during the rainy season
Posted By: AJE

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/27/22 06:32 AM

I use water from my dehumidifier to water trees

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/27/22 08:41 PM

I have 10 sloughs I trap rats in within 12 miles of my house. They range in size from .5 acres to 15 acres.The last years I have averaged about 130 rats from these sloughs. As of today 6 of them are dry and all the others are about 20-40% smaller. I guess with the rat market really not doing well it is not a bad time to not have as many rats to trap. I will not be able to canoe any but two so I will need to wait for ice if there is enough water after it freezes up.

Bryce

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 02:38 AM

Seems like same story this year..people praying for rain.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 02:43 AM

So dry here that electric fences won't ground so don't work well enough to keep cattle in. Spent the afternoon helping out a neighbor chase his cattle back in but will probably have to do it again tomorrow.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 03:17 AM

We are currently drought free in southern Ga...

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?southeast

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
So dry here that electric fences won't ground so don't work well enough to keep cattle in. Spent the afternoon helping out a neighbor chase his cattle back in but will probably have to do it again tomorrow.

They should with 10 ft copper rods

Add a few more and water the area after or before adding the new rods
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 04:11 AM

Wish it would quit raining. Forty miles from me got 10” in the last 24 hours. Been wet since Feb. Cant get the tractors off the road
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 04:20 AM

Rains every day for the last 6 weeks...Next Door in Vermont has the worst flooding from this no name rain system..in 100 years. Roads washed out in the western part of NH. Have driven my GTO maybe 3 times in 3 weeks because of the rain. No car shows to speak of cuz of rain...and no fishing cuz it’s raining every weekend. ...My lawn looks great...but can’t mow it ...cuz it’s raining. Vacation sucked ...last 2 weeks ...had maybe 4 days out of 14 with no rain.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 04:38 AM

[Linked Image]

Next 12 days.......
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/13/23 10:26 AM

Prayers for the farmers and others that need rain. We were dry hear for the month of May. Crops behind in growth. A nice steady rains this month. Amen

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 04:04 AM

It isn't just the farmers, a lot of tree growers are suffing too.

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 04:28 AM

Corn will do amazingly well inspite of many major areas being very dry. Projections for yields are going down each month as even if it rains enough now damage is already done to many crops and crops like hay will really be short in supply. Not just farmers is right. Landscapers, nursery businesses trying to landscape properties, put in lawns etc etc. The long term looks like a smaller beef herd for a long while as we are now having drought in much of the east cow-calf areas along with the west. Good crop growing areas are shifting not just due to moisture, but also heat. Corn basically shuts down at over 86 degrees F and thus if we get really warm weather during pollination there can be huge losses in yield. A lot of genetic research has gone into breeding higher yielding corn in cooler areas like ND, northern MN, WI and also drought. There may need to be a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) in finding genetics that needs to function well in higher heat. Most garden seed genetics and commercial produce genetics has not been bred for high heat as well.

Bryce

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 04:34 AM

Maybe scientists can come up with a better formula for root gel to improve things for tree farmers
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 11:36 AM

Dry as always here. Only thing growing is under irrigation and it’s struggling
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 12:32 PM

Seems to be a more wet than usual around here. Stormed again yesterday power was out when I got home at 7 and didn't come on tell about 430am.

Driving home from my wife's aunts funeral there were 2 vehicles off the road thet lost control in the down poor.

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 01:10 PM

Still a drought here

Very bad
Posted By: Guss

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 03:05 PM

It's rain here in Northern Wis.
Posted By: charles

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 05:23 PM

This post was started June 8th it looks like. Hope you got some rain by now.

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by charles
This post was started June 8th it looks like. Hope you got some rain by now.

June 8, 2021. I’m sure he did, lol.

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 06:04 PM

Been pretty good here. Our dove fields (browntop) look amazing. Just hoping to get it cut and burned then the rains hold off so it doesn’t reseed right away.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 07:04 PM

Corn is looking like them agave plants in Mexico, all dry and sad looking. Hay is definitely hard to grow this year
Posted By: charles

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 07:12 PM

Wow, 2021. Resurrected from the dead.

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/25/23 07:27 PM

Lol, yeah.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Pray for rain. - 07/26/23 12:38 AM

The only thing is here it hasn’t changed much since then, getting just enough to keep things going, last year and this year I’ve been shipping all my hay to Rock Valley to the hay auction because they have the best price.

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 05:13 AM

I'm not sure how late into the summer/fall I should keep watering my new trees
Posted By: run

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 11:09 AM

Moderators, please delete this old thread, it's embarrassing!
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 04:18 PM

western Alaska raining for the past two months getting tired of it.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 04:46 PM

Pray for sunshine not rain!
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 06:15 PM

Even the fish are praying for a dry spell here.

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/18/23 10:09 PM

We are catching up here but still well below the normal. Water table (ground water level) is still low. We have had about 2.25 inches the last two weeks. Much larger amounts north and south of us during those events. Still very spotty.

Bryce

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/19/23 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
We are catching up here but still well below the normal. Water table (ground water level) is still low. We have had about 2.25 inches the last two weeks. Much larger amounts north and south of us during those events. Still very spotty.

Bryce

Not enough rain to help your muskrat population I suppose
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/19/23 10:43 AM

we are dry. we got a little the other night, but that was the first in a long while, we need rain bad,

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/22/23 03:20 AM

Some creeks are noticeably lower.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Pray for rain. - 08/22/23 10:32 AM

50 miles east of us, they are getting a good rain now, we didn't get a drop. frown

Re: Pray for rain. - 09/30/23 05:51 AM

We got 6" in the past week. Unreal. It was spread out, too. It ought to put a dent in the drought & help the trees & water table level I would imagine

Re: Pray for rain. - 02/28/24 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
50 miles east of us, they are getting a good rain now, we didn't get a drop. frown

Hopefully this year is different. The lack of snow probably isn't helping
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Pray for rain. - 02/28/24 03:31 AM

Praying that mine in WA comes to you all,,,,.Gods got Us…
© 2024 Trapperman Forums