Home

Cicadas…Do fish eat these.

Posted By: martyd

Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:19 AM

I as wondering if fish like Bass , Northern Pike , Crappie , etc eat these bugs when they fall in water? Just wondering. They sure look big. Marty
Posted By: James

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:21 AM

Bass and bluegills will. So will carp.

Jim
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:22 AM

I don’t know of a fish that won’t eat anything that falls in the water.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:26 AM

I find they are better when fished on the bottom than top water
Everything eats cicadas.
Posted By: martyd

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:30 AM

Ok thanks for the info. I might use some cat fishing this weekend if I can catch some.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 01:33 AM

Like a duck on a Junebug. As they say..
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 04:06 AM

Trout love them too.

Pete
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 12:08 PM

Yes
Posted By: Pressure9pa

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 06:10 PM

I went fishing with the kids last weekend using only cicadas as bait. Some observations:

When everything goes perfectly, they make a racket on the water and a bass, large bluegill, or catfish comes immediately to investigate and doesn't stare at it too long before striking.

It took a while to get the weight right. Too heavy of a hook or swivel, and the cicada is no longer on the surface and doesn't flap or make any noise. Too little and it flies around over the water, getting attention but no strikes.

Any algae or aquatic plants on the surface and the cicada's wings get gummed up. No movement = no attention.

They are a little difficult to keep on the hook, particularly after a nibble and a miss from a smaller fish.

So it took a little while to get the formula down, which would have been a lot easier alone rather than dealing with a 12 and 10 year old. However, based on what we learned I think I could find the right spot and do very well next time. (Isn't that always the case with fishing?)
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 07:54 PM

A lot of fly fisherman are tying cicada patterns this season.. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 08:04 PM

They actually make a lure called "the Cicada", pretty popular vibrating blade bait.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Cicadas…Do fish eat these. - 06/09/21 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pressure9pa
I went fishing with the kids last weekend using only cicadas as bait. Some observations:

When everything goes perfectly, they make a racket on the water and a bass, large bluegill, or catfish comes immediately to investigate and doesn't stare at it too long before striking.

It took a while to get the weight right. Too heavy of a hook or swivel, and the cicada is no longer on the surface and doesn't flap or make any noise. Too little and it flies around over the water, getting attention but no strikes.

Any algae or aquatic plants on the surface and the cicada's wings get gummed up. No movement = no attention.

They are a little difficult to keep on the hook, particularly after a nibble and a miss from a smaller fish.

So it took a little while to get the formula down, which would have been a lot easier alone rather than dealing with a 12 and 10 year old. However, based on what we learned I think I could find the right spot and do very well next time. (Isn't that always the case with fishing?)

My granddaughter and I caught dozens the other day just because she wanted to go cicada hunting. We put them in peanut jars and ended up feeding them to the chickens. May have to do another hunt and use them as bait for a weekend fishing trip. Thank you for the excellent report.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums