Home

Wallpaper

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Wallpaper - 06/09/21 02:57 PM

When I was a kid most of the interior of our house (originally built about 1910) was always wall papered. Don't seem to see that anymore. Is wall papering completely out of vogue now? I remember mom shopping for wall paper and changing our walls about every 3-4 years.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Wallpaper - 06/09/21 03:42 PM

Every spring my grandmother, mother and aunt's would wallpaper my grandmother's kitchen and living room. There must have been 1/4" or more of paper in some areas. With that old farmhouse, I always wondered if it was more for insulation than for looks....
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wallpaper - 06/09/21 04:42 PM

Mom still changes her wallpaper last time was 5 or 6 years ago
Come to think about it she's about due
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Wallpaper - 06/09/21 04:49 PM

When I eventually redo my kitchen, it'll be yellow paint under the bottom of the chair railing and yellow wallpaper on top. The house was built in the 1870s as a carriage house and converted into a home in 1914 so it fits the houses character. I don't see it in many new homes though.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Wallpaper - 06/09/21 05:17 PM

I still do it from time to time. I have rolls of the old textured clothback wallpaper I got a long time ago.
They are always old homes and historical homes.
Good money when I can get it.
Posted By: charles

Re: Wallpaper - 06/09/21 05:49 PM

Remodeled a condo three years ago. Wallpapered one wall of a dining area as well as a downstairs bathroom.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 12:23 AM

Wallpaper your shack with beaver pelts Beeverpeeler.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 12:28 AM

In the tile business myself. I'm on a lot of new construction and remodel projects. Haven't seen any wallpaper put in 10 years plus. I remember years ago a lot of full walls papered, then just seeing a lot of borders under the crown, but none at all in a long time
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 12:29 AM

I wish paneling would come back in style. No taping, sanding, mudding, etc. Just nail it up and move on!

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Wallpaper your shack with beaver pelts Beeverpeeler.

You may be on to something there Boco. May be a market for beaver after all.

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 03:35 PM

I remember an old guy who lived in a railroad line shack without electricity. He was poor so the only paper he could afford was old newspapers. I used to love to go over and visit and see the funnies from back in the 40's papered up on his walls. A lot of them were ones that were long since out of syndication and I was just mesmerized.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 03:54 PM

We recently wired a master sweet that had some wall paper in the bathroom

Attached picture A18CE7C1-FB43-4927-9008-EC92F174B99E.jpeg
Attached picture 0DF674BE-02D8-4054-9604-DDE5CCDFA49D.jpeg
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 03:57 PM

Here in France it was a huge thing for a long time because of cracks in the walls. Before wallpaper they had a great technique of stretching fabric over the wall using strips of wood, about 3/8" X 1" as a framing. It was the work of trained craftsmen and still exists.

In our new place here we re-did the wallpaper in our bedroom and the old stuff pulled off alot of the stuff they floated over the 200 year old plaster. I went through 130 pounds of dry mix to float out the walls, but the job came out plenty fine.

I hate the stuff. Paint is much better and is more popular here too.

Pete
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 05:17 PM

Lots of high end remodels use wall paper now but its not the inexpensive stuff I grew up looking at in a 1.5 story farm house in middle of Kansas that is for sure
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 05:17 PM

I rarely (very rarely) see it in any new construction
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 06:59 PM

My Grandmother and sister were wall papering machines. Too much waste for me on some that had to be match patterns to look right. To be sure there is an art to it.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Wallpaper - 06/10/21 08:12 PM

I have pulled off to much old wallpaper to ever consider using wallpaper.

We need to do a lot of painting now, I'm not looking forward to it. It's been 9 years since we last painted, right after I bought the farm.

Keith
Posted By: gcs

Re: Wallpaper - 06/11/21 11:49 AM

My wife went through a wallpapering period, then she decided paneling would be great....so I paneled everything with HER choice... Came home from work one day and found she painted over the paneling..sigh,

but to answer the question, I haven't seen anyone even mention wallpaper in a long time.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wallpaper - 06/11/21 01:06 PM

Back in the day most work was done yourself my guess is it hide the mistakes and freshened up the walls back then maybe.
Posted By: learch

Re: Wallpaper - 06/11/21 01:39 PM

See it every now and then and if I do it is beyond expensive. Designers don’t pick anything cheap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums