Home

Cables on DPs

Posted By: MySide 🦝

Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 03:17 PM

Hey guys just put some 3/32 cable on my dps.
Made a bigger loop so i could rap around trees easier. Some cables are shorter than others and some a quite long.
Do you think if the cable is long enough the coon will have enough force to pull out? Or do you think that I'm overthinking it?
Thanks guys! smile
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 03:51 PM

I'm thinking it needs plenty of swivels. Cable is great and very strong as long as it doesn't begin to untwist into individual strands.

JMO but having used wire on coon traps I know coons can give wire or cable a workout.

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 03:58 PM

The DPs I have, do have swivels. Most have 2, thats 4 swivel points. Should be good then!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 04:08 PM

Good, that should take of that then. Sounds like your good to go then. On the long ones be careful of entanglement as a few wraps around a fixed object will defeat any swiveling past the wrap.

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 04:21 PM

Ok, thanks!!! laugh
Posted By: VictorD

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/11/21 04:37 PM

Snug the cable up. I arrived at one and the coon climbed up the tree with the DP on him. Another one went over a limp and was able to pull out.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 03:55 PM

put an adjustable loop at the end, that way you can open the loop and feed the trap through then cinch it down. this will make it harder for the coon to take it up a tree. I learned that the hard way a few years ago and had to get a ladder to get my coon and trap out of a tree(first branches were about 10ft high. other than that it works well
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 04:06 PM

Big coons can and do chew through 3/32 7x7 cable. Why not just stake the chains so you aren't limited on where you put them? Cables sound a twisted mess to deal with after only one catch, coons tear up everything.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 04:37 PM

What ADC said. Also with stakes (either rebar or cable) you can put them where you want instead of needing a tree to wrap cable around.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 05:09 PM

I use 5’ of chain and coyote size grapple hook ( drag) hook around tree grape vine root ect. They don’t go very far.

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 05:13 PM

I think I'll try my cables and if coons chew out or I have too much trouble with them climbing I can always cut the cables off and switch to rebar stakes.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 05:13 PM

Thats how I've been running them last 2 seasons. Pros and cons. And I've had to adjust. Some of mine, like yours were pretty long. And I had pullouts after they twisted around and had leverage to pull out. So what I did was put a snap link on cable. And if I saw there would be entanglement. Than I wrapped it around tree. Post, whatever enough wraps until it was shortened up enough to avoid the reach. Than simply added quick link on cable wrap end to fixed end. This took care of that problem. I do like the system. Cause less stuff to deal with. And I can prebait. And have a dozen dps out in a matter of minutes. Alot of mine are 6 feet long. Looking back at it. Thats way to long. But thats how I had to modify with snap link. I never did take into consideration what ADC mentioned about coon chewing thru cable. I do know they do that in snares.
Posted By: otterdog

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 05:31 PM

I use 3/32 cable on my DP’s. Have for years and have never had a coon chew through one or break one. Now the coon up a tree thing? Well yes I have. LOL
Oh and I’m not saying a coon can’t chew through it or break it just so we are clear. Never say never right. Lol

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
Thats how I've been running them last 2 seasons. Pros and cons. And I've had to adjust. Some of mine, like yours were pretty long. And I had pullouts after they twisted around and had leverage to pull out. So what I did was put a snap link on cable. And if I saw there would be entanglement. Than I wrapped it around tree. Post, whatever enough wraps until it was shortened up enough to avoid the reach. Than simply added quick link on cable wrap end to fixed end. This took care of that problem. I do like the system. Cause less stuff to deal with. And I can prebait. And have a dozen dps out in a matter of minutes. Alot of mine are 6 feet long. Looking back at it. Thats way to long. But thats how I had to modify with snap link. I never did take into consideration what ADC mentioned about coon chewing thru cable. I do know they do that in snares.

Would you mind taking a pic of your set-up so I could understand it better? Thanks! smile

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/12/21 11:52 PM

ttt
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/13/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝
The DPs I have, do have swivels. Most have 2, thats 4 swivel points. Should be good then!

All my dog proof traps get center swiveled. Thank me later.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/13/21 12:31 AM

i run 1/8"cable on mine. a extra swivel. never had a pullout or a climber. i make my back loop adjustable to tighten up on the tree.a double ferrel and a single ferrel makes it easy.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Cables on DPs - 06/13/21 02:14 AM

I have run the adjustable cables a lot, sometime they get twisted up bad, cut off n pitch , cable is cheap. This is a fast system , have used these cables with foothold s aslso.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums