Home

Math question:

Posted By: Canvasback2

Math question: - 06/11/21 07:55 PM

What could this possibly be used for in everyday life ?? I watched the whole Calculus course online, and was completely LOST !!

Single-Variable Calculus -- Integration by Partial Fractions --
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 08:03 PM

If your not in wildlife management, physics or graphics programming...not much
Posted By: Weatherby270

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 08:55 PM

Partial fraction decomposition is a way of "re-writing" a function that appears to be non-integrable as one that is easily recognized to be integrable. There's really nothing special about partial fraction decomposition, and you definitely don't need to understand it to understand 1-variable Calculus. The special part is the integration that comes afterwards - that's the actual "Calculus" part. The most obvious applications of integration are afforded by The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which tells us (amongst other things) that finding areas under or between curves is really just integrating. So one extremely useful application of integration is finding areas under curves, or areas between curves. In other words, if you have a weird 2-dimensional shape that can be bounded by curves, then you can use integration to calculate the area of that shape.

Integration is also used for a variety of applications in chemistry, physics, economics, computer science, and engineering. Differentiation and Integration are two of the most important and useful concepts in all of mathematics.

Were you watching these lecture videos for fun?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:09 PM

That's s gibberish. I have troubles adding 2 digit numbers without a calculator.
Posted By: Marathon

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:09 PM

Some pre-calc or first semester calc classes have a chapter on conic sections which can be useful in drawing beaver boards.
Posted By: Weatherby270

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:15 PM

Unfortunately most algebra and calc classes don't teach about conic sections anymore. For those interested, here's a video showing what Marathon is talking about:

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:18 PM

No conic sections? I'm getting old!
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:35 PM

[quote=Weatherby270]Partial fraction decomposition is a way of "re-writing" a function that appears to be non-integrable as one that is easily recognized to be integrable. There's really nothing special about partial fraction decomposition, and you definitely don't need to understand it to understand 1-variable Calculus. The special part is the integration that comes afterwards - that's the actual "Calculus" part. The most obvious applications of integration are afforded by The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which tells us (amongst other things) that finding areas under or between curves is really just integrating. So one extremely useful application of integration is finding areas under curves, or areas between curves. In other words, if you have a weird 2-dimensional shape that can be bounded by curves, then you can use integration to calculate the area of that shape.

Integration is also used for a variety of applications in chemistry, physics, economics, computer science, and engineering. Differentiation and Integration are two of the most important and useful concepts in all of mathematics.

🤔 Huh?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:47 PM

Calculus lets you do math with things that are changing. How long does it take to get from A to B if your speed is constant VS. how long does it take to get from A to B if your acceleration is constant. When you accelerate, your speed is changing and the math is harder.

Calculus lets you switch back and forth between first order, second order, or third order functions. position= first order. When your position changes over time that's velocity - second order. When your velocity changes over time that's acceleration - third order.

Calculus lets you do math with one dimensional shapes in two dimensions or two dimensional shapes in three dimensions. Want to know the volume of a donut? A circle (2D) moving through space (3D) in a straight line makes a cylinder - easy. What if it rotates around a point instead of moving in a straight line? That's a donut. Calculus lets you move that circle through space and calculate the volume the circle leaves behind as it moves.
Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:49 PM

We learned conic sections. But I’ve already forgotten. Ellipse, focus, etc
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 09:58 PM

I think it's good to learn stuff - exercises your brain and helps you think in new ways. There's value in learning complicated stuff you won't necessarily use.
Posted By: corky

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:05 PM

Business calculus almost drummed me out of college. Luckily they graded on a curve and everyone else was as lost as I was.
Posted By: charles

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:08 PM

An engineer friend of mine used calculus to help me make a dip stick to measure fuel in a 550 gallon cylindrical barrel that was also tilted about 10°. Had been 30 years since my calculus days.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:09 PM

My oldest son once said it best. “ I did well and enjoyed math until they started replacing the numbers with letters “.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:09 PM

Also handy for finding maximums and minimums(2nd derivative) and is applicable to most everything natural or mechanical.

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:27 PM

Be careful watching that kind of stuff. You might end up like this guy.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 10:37 PM

stop yet sniveling you ought to sit thru some of the continuing education courses I have to take
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Math question: - 06/11/21 11:34 PM

I have two sons,,and both are engineers,and had to take all them fancy math courses.I told them I quit taking math when the teacher said Pie R Squared,,,and I knew very well pies are round.They just say,,,go weed the garden again Dad. grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 12:14 AM

Yeah dad go do something useful like fill the freezer with Walleye slabs!grin
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 06:21 PM

How many cord are in this woodpile assuming the hoop is 4ft x 16ft with a 7 1/2ft base?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 09:45 PM

^^^^^ 1/2 cord by formula, but looks more like a cord I could fit in my truck

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 09:53 PM

Most folks think of a cord as being 128 ft3. In Minnesota, and probably other places; a cord of:
  • cut
  • split
  • ranked
wood is legally 120 ft3 which is a slightly easier number to work with. I consider the volume to be exactly 1 cord.

My math assumes
  • the shape is a parabola
  • the area of a parabola is Area=2/3(a)(b)
  • "a" = the length of the horizontal line at the base of the parabola
  • "b" = the length of the vertical bisector of said line "a"
  • Therefore the area = 2/3(7.5 ft)(6 ft) =30 ft2
  • The stack is 48"deep, or 4 ft
  • Vol = Area x Depth, or (30 ft2 X 4 ft)=120 ft3
  • The appropriate volume for stacked cut and split cordwood is 120 ft3 per cord. Therefore; 120 ft3/120 ft3 per cord = 1cord

Assuming the more commonly considered 128 ft3 per cord: 120 ft3 /128 ft3 per cord = .9375 cord.

My point is that you don't need to have a working knowledge of calculus for a lot of everyday problems. If you can recognize the shape, it should be a simple matter to find a formula in which you just need to plug in a few values.

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 11:02 PM

Trex, how do you know the vertical is 6 ft.?

Re: Math question: - 06/12/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jasper69
Trex, how do you know the vertical is 6 ft.?
Good question!

That is how it works out for a parabola with a length (surface area) of 16 ft and a base of 7 1/2 ft. For that, I did not show my work, and should probably loose a couple points.
actually, I think it is called cheating. I should have given that along with the base and length to save that important step.

The surface area of a parabola is a bunch more complicated. I simply measured the heights as I changed the base dimension. I then settled on a decent ratio.

Again, sorry, I should have supplied that 6 ft height.

Re: Math question: - 06/13/21 12:05 AM

Ok. I just treated it as a half of a circle. But it looked like what I could haul with my old pickup when they didn't have club cans and had a decent sized bed.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Math question: - 06/13/21 12:19 PM

You guys are making my head hurt.... cool
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Math question: - 06/13/21 03:46 PM

I’ve forgotten more than I once knew…
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Math question: - 06/14/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Yeah dad go do something useful like fill the freezer with Walleye slabs!grin

Im working on It !! smile
Posted By: Posco

Re: Math question: - 06/14/21 03:41 AM

The 3, 4, 5 method of squaring is all you need to know.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums