Home

Predatory Black Bear

Posted By: Boco

Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:35 PM

I was taking some stuff out to the camp this afternoon and ran into a predatory Black bear.Big Boy-500lb guesstimate.
I had the trailer on the bike with some cement slabs,a box for the propane tank and a folding skinning table.I normally have my 22 mag on the bike,but since I wrapped up all my current nuisance beaver contracts I didnt have a gun.
As I came down the bush trail onto the powerline where the trail crosses,I spotted the bear moving slowly on the other side,he had already seen and heard me and was zeroed in on me.He was coming towards me at a steady walk with his head low stalking.I turned the bike at a right angle left of the bear and went off the trail down the powerline a ways.It is all foot high N----heads so I had to go slow.The bear circled around my flank about 50 feet to my right and I circled back towards the trail on the other side of him.He was following but the bike and trailer bouncing over the N---heads was making quite a bit of noise which I believe gave him pause to close the distance.I got back on the trail on the far side of the powerline and looked back,he was following and closing the distance.Once I got back on the trail and into the bush,I could get the bike in 3rd gear and was able to get away from him and down to the trail toward the camp.
I checked the trail and found where he had come on to the trail about a mile from the powerline and followed the bike trail out to where I met up with him.The camp is about another mile or so from where he came onto the trail,so I was hoping he hadnt broken into the cabin and made a mess.I was happy to see the cabin was intact when I got there.
I unloaded the stuff I had brought,and had a coffee,then headed back out the trail,with my eyes peeled.I believe I would have been in a bit of trouble if I had met him on the bush trail instead of in the open area at the powerline.

Not often do we see bears with that agressive behaviour.Almost always they will be gone like a rocket when they see you or hear you coming.
Only one other time I was stalked like that,also a large bear,but I was bearhunting that time with the 30-06 so that one wound up stretched and dried and made into sausage.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:38 PM

I would take that big boy seriously, Boco.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:42 PM

Bet that got the ole ticker pumping. What do you think Boco, territorial, hungry or just plain King of the Hill aggressive
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:42 PM

I think if you where on foot with no gun , he would have killed you ...
Most often they run the other way , but once and a while they don't ..
I'm not afraid of them but -
I don't trust them at all ..
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:49 PM

Meanwhile back in woods he's telling his bear buddies about the one that got away!

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Bet that got the ole ticker pumping. What do you think Boco, territorial, hungry or just plain King of the Hill aggressive

There are a lot of moose in that area-I bet he is hunting.He didnt look to be faking so not territorial.

I did have a boys axe on the bike.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

I did have a boys axe on the bike.

Yeah...... That'll learn him....... Or just encourage him to finish the job.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:08 PM

True,but likely better than sticking your finger in his beady eyeball.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:13 PM

Do u think he'll be a problem again or is it unlikely you will cross paths again in that vast area up there?

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:17 PM

He will likely be on the move,but if he is killing moose calves,that is a place he may hang out for a while.
I will have a remedy next trip out.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:18 PM

Glad to hear you made it out with all your body parts intact, Robert.

Word to the wise: CARRY A GUN when you are out and about. eek

It just wasn't your time to go, I guess. Jesus had you in his arms the whole time. smile

Charlie
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:26 PM

A good ole gp100 would have made you feel a lot better.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:36 PM

Charlie,I usually have some kind of pea shooter with me when the bears are around.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scott T
A good ole gp100 would have made you feel a lot better.

I could get a handgun permit for bear protection.Some trappers and prospectors feel the need to carry a handgun in the bush.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 09:47 PM

Should be about breeding season for bear too.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/13/21 10:57 PM

500 lbs is a big bear around here, even Grizz. I don't believe I've ever seen a Black bear approaching that size anywhere. I'm guessing you'll have a bit more than a .22 mag next time.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 12:52 AM

Put one(folder) in the truck today,lol.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:16 AM

Sister-in-law law had a 300 pounder on her street last night…it’s a neighborhood. Then my buddy across town had a pic of a big bear with 3 cubs..last night too
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:31 AM

There was a 800 pound black bear shot outside Algonquin park some years ago. The same guy took a 6oo plus in the same area.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:34 AM

Chute it chute it
Posted By: Bob LaRue

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:51 AM

This reminds me of something I've heard several times over the years & hopefully never have to use. When being charged by a large predator if you can, take a knee before you shoot. This puts your weapon more on line with the animal & the best chance to make every shot count.
Good luck out there!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:59 AM

I had an experience where I was charged by a large very angry dog that meant business once. Long story short I'll just say I got him before he got me but it was scary close. I have no desire to experience the same thing with any larger.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 02:04 AM

June seems to be the month black bears look for fresh meat still on the hoof. At least around here.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob LaRue
This reminds me of something I've heard several times over the years & hopefully never have to use. When being charged by a large predator if you can, take a knee before you shoot. This puts your weapon more on line with the animal & the best chance to make every shot count.
Good luck out there!

I hope you, me, and anybody else reading this has the cool head needed to remember this if we are ever in that situation.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Bob LaRue
Good luck out there!

I hope you, me, and anybody else reading this has the cool head needed to remember this if we are ever in that situation.

I worked with a guy that had to do it. on Kodiac Island
His marine training taught him to "drop it" and keep pulling the trigger when you hear a metal click.
His client did not like the 7 holes going down from the head to tail.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
True,but likely better than sticking your finger in his beady eyeball.

A buddy of mine was mauled by a brown bear sow with two cubs a couple of years ago with no gun, and that's how he got her off him.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 03:05 AM

Scared say Scared
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 09:51 AM

Had a interesting experience Feb. 5'16. Wrote notes on it that evening: Was on skidoo and came to fork in a trail. Stopped and looked back to the branch I had not been on and see a bear about 75' away. Stop skidoo, but still running, and amazed what is a bear doing out in middle of winter? Had not been above freezing since before Christmas so no mild spell to bring it out. Maximum temp. that day at airport in the area was -13C (+8.6F). Bear started to walk up to me. Took out cell ph. and took pic's and even short video. When the bear was 2 lengths of my gun from me it occurred to me is the bear curious, or is he looking looking at dinner, so dropped him exactly right there. Have pic's to show it.

Took the bear home whole and it was a 180.2 lb. male w lots of fat. Go figure.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 10:35 AM

glad it all came out well
Posted By: run

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 12:28 PM

Good to hear you are still alive, Boco.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 01:29 PM

I've run into a few like that over the years. As a matter of fact we had one on the job site yesterday. This one was a younger bear and it came right up on the road and tried to get a guy that was outside of his packer painting dots for the chipper. We had 8 dump trucks running by blowing their horns and the bear wouldnt leave. We found out later that it had been sprayed with bear spray the day before by the crew who had been there getting the road ready for us. They said the spray had very little effect.

I've always said that if a guy runs into a problem bear, you will need a rifle worse than you've ever needed anything. I never go into the bush without one, so Ive always had one when I needed it.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 02:29 PM

Here is a quote:

Predatory Bears
Predatory bears are very different than surprised or defensive bears. If you encounter a bear that’s curious or stalks you like a predator, be ready to fight. Do NOT run. Stalking and curious bears are not in a defensive mindset like a surprised bear. They are ready to attack their prey at a moment’s notice, and YOU are the prey. Try to seek shelter in a car or building if possible. If that isn’t an option, be ready to fight. If you notice a bear stalking you, now is the time to get your bear spray ready. If the bear attacks you, fight back with anything that you have. Use any available weapon to fight the bear (sticks, rocks, bear spray, even your fists). If a predatory bear attacks you, no matter the species, fight back with everything you have.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 03:15 PM

I was just in the mountains this morning looking the trout stream over after the rains last night. They were raging so no fishing, but when going back to my vehicle a couple year old Bear stepped up onto the road. He stopped, looked at me and decided to run.

Made my morning since I didn't get to fish. smile

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by run
Good to hear you are still alive, Boco.

Ha Ha,-thought you guys would be cheering for the bear,lol (jk)

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Here is a quote:

Predatory Bears
Predatory bears are very different than surprised or defensive bears. If you encounter a bear that’s curious or stalks you like a predator, be ready to fight. Do NOT run. Stalking and curious bears are not in a defensive mindset like a surprised bear. They are ready to attack their prey at a moment’s notice, and YOU are the prey. Try to seek shelter in a car or building if possible. If that isn’t an option, be ready to fight. If you notice a bear stalking you, now is the time to get your bear spray ready. If the bear attacks you, fight back with anything that you have. Use any available weapon to fight the bear (sticks, rocks, bear spray, even your fists). If a predatory bear attacks you, no matter the species, fight back with everything you have.

This is correct advice-problem is some people havent been around bears much and cannot distinguish the different behaviours and what to do in each case.
I knew right away this was a predatory bear by his stance,no fear,and when I veered off on the powerline angling away from him he circled to follow,moving away triggered that chase response,although he did not make a charge.I believe the noise of the trailer load bouncing and rattling gave me the time to flank him and get to a part of the trail where I could gear up the bike to get distance on him.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 07:36 PM

Several years ago while in AK I carried a gun every where I went and never saw a bear. On my return to the UP I was picking berries first time with out a gun and ran into a bear. Thank goodness a normal bear, interesting read BOCO.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 07:55 PM

I'm glad you're still here to share that story. A big boar, no doubt, as opposed to a sow protecting cubs. The sow gets a pass, that guy doesn't. He wanted to turn Boco into a protein source. I sure hope your remedy works for anybody's sake that may go back there. Dang.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 10:43 PM

hauled some more stuff in to camp today-took a few pics.No sign of bears today,lol.

[Linked Image]
This is the trail on the high ground.

[Linked Image]
Trail in the spruce bush coming out on to powerline clearing.

[Linked Image]
Powerline clearing where the bear started coming at me.

[Linked Image]
This is the far side of powerline where the bear came out.

[Linked Image]
Trail down towards river where bear came out and started walking out the trail toward the powerline clearing

[Linked Image]
North Driftwood river near camp.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 11:00 PM

Hope u brought a gun this time to fix up w him if he showed again. Bad bear to leave loose for sure.

General public people talk about wolves and bears and how they (the people) are scared. Always told them all never mind the wolves - the bears are the ones u can't trust.

Re: Predatory Black Bear - 06/14/21 11:43 PM

Folding 12ga in the moosehide gun case in front of bike,Frank.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums