Home

Ok tomato plant experts

Posted By: Black dogs

Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:27 PM

What is wrong with my plants. Bought them a week or so ago. Water them every night after the sun goes down. Even gave them some miracle grow. Too much sun?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:33 PM

Look likes blight to me. Water them less often and do it in the morning so the leaves can dry out in the day. Once blight gets started its hard to stop.

Give all the yellow leaves a good pruning and cut all the suckers so there is more air circulation in the plant. Copper based spray is a good preventative for blight.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:45 PM

I watched my neighbor murder all his tomato plants one year, he overdid it with the Miracle Grow. They could be getting too much water too, assuming there are no holes in the bottom of the buckets to drain excess water.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:45 PM

Older leaves are involved as well so it has been with you for a while. Prune as stated, spray with copper fungicides every 7-10 days to get the new growth covered and drench the vegetation you have now. I would not water every night either. The plant needs to be able to get some air in the soil for the roots too. If you have wilt and other fungal diseases too wet is not good,

Bryce
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:51 PM

You need to prune them for starters.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:52 PM

Cut the lower branches off so none are touching the dirt.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/13/21 11:55 PM

It is quite normal to transplant tomato plants and have them "burn" for awhile, especially if it is hot and sunny immediately after transplanting from a greenhouse.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 12:04 AM

Move away from the wall and turn buckets every couple days. Never seen tomatoes thrive in buckets unless sunk into ground a bit.
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 12:28 AM

Thanks for the reply’s. I am going to prune right now
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 12:32 AM

I have bad luck with container gardening. My root systems get too hot and burn up in the buckets.
Posted By: one toe

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 10:11 AM

Never had any luck with tomatoes in containers until I invested in growboxes from Garden Patch. They are the real deal.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 02:21 PM

Prune then treat with " Sevin ". Also,,water in the mornings not at night as stated above.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:05 PM

Just came from my neighbors. He grows his in pots and has tremendous success. Used compost from the horse pasture and waters them in the morning. Plant them deep and remove the bottom two or three limbs, this promotes good growth towards the fruit. Good drainage is as important as water. If you water in the AM and soil is wet in the PM then you have a drainage issue. Drill some holes in your containers and pay attention to the soil, it'll tell you when it need water and how much. Maybe hold off on watering it for a day or so.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:07 PM

Too much water?
Things usually don't need water every day
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:26 PM

I rely on volunteer tomatoes every spring. They turn out perfect. I just mash one with my foot in the fall where I want them. Sprinkle some loose soil(one half inch) over them and thats it. But you have to use heirloom tomatoes. Hybrids won't work.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:33 PM

Too add to stated above move them away from the light colored siding. Had my tomato’s planted with a row against a white vinyl fence, the row closest to fence got fried.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:45 PM

Yes Miley. Mine are on the north side of house. Very little sun. I know they say full sun but I don't think it's a must.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 03:48 PM

I think putting em in the sun will greatly increase your yield.

Do the buckets have drainage holes?
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 04:17 PM

Humiliation from being stuck in a Menard's bucket.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Humiliation from being stuck in a Menard's bucket.

DING,DING,DING!!!!!!! I think we have a winner!! grin
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 07:00 PM

They should be able to handle full sun exposure at that age
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Ok tomato plant experts - 06/14/21 09:38 PM

Had real good luck using this system on bucket grown. Bucket grown Mine are under the edge of the porch roof. I run strings down from rafter to the bucket to clip vines on. I use these type clips on the strings. Clips
© 2024 Trapperman Forums