Home

Never Should Have..

Posted By: Savell

Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:42 PM

... let that youngest boy of mine talk me into letting him play this Dixie league ball... I figured he’d be mediocre at best considering he’d never held a baseball or bat before in his life.. well he made all stars.. and worse than that advanced through district playoffs so now I got to ride up to Henderson for a weekend and watch him in the regional playoffs or else folks will think poorly of me lol

.. he got good hits 13 times out of 15 at bats this weekend so I guess just natural at it .. proud of him even though I ain’t big on baseball and hollering people lol

... the league gave him a playoff ring for advancing ..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:45 PM

Nice! It will be interesting to see him advance.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:47 PM

He might play in the big league some day Savell.

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:47 PM

... coach pitch btw... it’s not like he’s getting that many hits off someone trying to strike him out

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
He might play in the big league some day Savell.

.. I doubt it ...probably end up barely making ends meet and telling big haired pall mall smoking women about how good he was back in little league at the American Legion hall on Friday nights lol
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:53 PM

Good job supporting him Savell...and I’ve been there sitting in the stands listening to the crazy parents yelling. The women folk always yelled the loudest...lol

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:55 PM

... and my wife’s turned into one of em MChewk lol
Posted By: adam m

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 10:56 PM

That's awesome
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:01 PM

Nice !!!!

Keep him going and thank the good Lord he doesn't wanna play with Barbies
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:10 PM

Don't worry about it, Ol' Hand. people think poorly of you already. shocked

Good on the boy for doin a great job. Maybe so he'll get called up to the 'Big Time' and he can support yer sorry butt.

Y'all can dedicate all yer time to bein a Honkytonk Hero then. grin

Congratulations to the young man, Jeremy. Makes a feller proud that a youngin can start from scratch, and Get-e r-done. cool

OH HHHHEEEELLLLYEAHHHH.

Charlie

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:13 PM

Lol... thanks
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:24 PM

Know you’re proud as you should be, well done.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:39 PM

That's awesome! Congratulations to him. Good luck in the playoffs.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:47 PM

Could be worse, there's always soccer.

Good job with that boy.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:53 PM

You gone and done it now. Consider your fate sealed

My boy used to win so much in youth rodeo I could basically go broke haulin him to the next level of competition
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:57 PM

I rather see him in baseball rather than hockey! Congrats on him doing so well!

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/14/21 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Could be worse, there's always soccer.

Good job with that boy.

... he’s got a ring for his team winning the little League super bowl year before last Warrior lol ... they didn’t have enough kids in town sign up for us to have a team this year.. so baseball it is I guess

... judging from the rings.. Dixie league baseball has all the money lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:03 AM

... I bet he’s got a pile of buckles to show for all your hard earned money though Lefty lol

.. Jesse Henry wants so bad to get on steers ... there’s just too much meth and vd in that bull riding life anymore for me to let him lol
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:07 AM

Don't like baseball? you probably don't like apple pie your mom or the flag. If you get into baseball it will improve your I.Q. grin
Posted By: Mac

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:08 AM

Nice

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:08 AM

I understand but you give me a couple weekends with a top notch athlete like Jesse Henry and he'd be a permanent fixture at the pay window.

Clayton Thomas has a whole truck load of buckles and trophy saddles and all the medical bills to go along with it.
Posted By: Dan D

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:23 AM

Nice job young man. Played ball through all my younger years. Really enjoyed it and still had time for the outdoors.Savell, you and the wife are raisin them right. Being involved in multiple things makes a well rounded individual.

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:36 AM

Thanks men ...y’all are alright
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:37 AM

If he makes it to Williamsport I will put you and your family up for your stay in PA.

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
If he makes it to Williamsport I will put you and your family up for your stay in PA.

... appreciate the offer Nittany.. but this is Dixie League.. we’re still seceded .. World Series is in Mississippi lol
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:40 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

... appreciate the offer Nittany.. but this is Dixie League.. we’re still seceded .. World Series is in Mississippi lol

Well then I guess we could put you up.....................

if you promise not to steal the towels and silverware.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:44 AM

Congrats just think it could be golf and getting to watch that every weekend
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:48 AM

He'll be knocking teeth out with that ring in a few years, lol.

Nice tropical climate right now to sit in the sun and watch folks toss ball's around, enjoy it.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 12:50 AM

Little League (Williamsport) isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Politics and $$$$ rule that organization.

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:07 AM

Yote.. you ain’t got to worry about the towels and forks.. but I might drink up all of Drifters beer and train y’all’s hounds to tree possum lol
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:16 AM

Savell,you are a lucky man. Congratulate your son for me. There is nothing more enjoyable than watching our young ones playing ball.
I hope he gets to love the game.
I played till I was 55 and miss it badly.
Be thankful for every inning he plays.
Tom
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:22 AM

Yote.. you ain’t got to worry about the towels and forks.. but I might drink up all of Drifters beer and train y’all’s hounds to tree possum lol

That's low. I'm trying to practice some southern hospitality here and you repay me by wanting to make my redbone as sorry as yours? lol

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Savell,you are a lucky man. Congratulate your son for me. There is nothing more enjoyable than watching our young ones playing ball.
I hope he gets to love the game.
I played till I was 55 and miss it badly.
Be thankful for every inning he plays.
Tom

Will do . Thanks

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:32 AM

Lol Yotetrapper .. you’re right.. mine wouldn’t even make a good possum hound
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 01:37 AM

Good job on the raisin sir. My son tried basketball for a cpl years til covid shut it down. We ain't athletes anyhow. I feel your pain on getting in the game crowds, seems like those loud mamas yelling are always one i spent some time with in the tomcat days. Then they come to talk and wife says who's this lol
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 02:56 AM

That's awesome! He looks to be a natural. I know you're proud of him.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Well then I guess we could put you up.....................

if you promise not to steal the towels and silverware.

And I thought fine china in Mississippi was Bounty paper towels, plastic sporks, and solo cups?
Good on the young slugger Savell. Now he needs him a good Louisville Slugger and a pouch of levi garrett to make him ready for the big leagues.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 03:06 AM

Loved watching my kids…and now my nephews play Baseball and football ….Enjoy it Savell ,they grow up fast.
Posted By: Range

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Good job supporting him Savell...and I’ve been there sitting in the stands listening to the crazy parents yelling. The women folk always yelled the loudest...lol

... and my wife’s turned into one of em MChewk lol

I helped coach a couple of seasons so I didn’t have to sit with my wife at the games.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 03:33 AM

Give me that kids number. I’m gonna tell him about travel ball and find some coaches to call on him. If you have any extra money put away, go ahead and start digging it up. New glove, bats (unbelievable what they cost), tournament fees, over night stays, etc!!! He’ll have the time of his young life though!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 03:45 AM

Sounds like its gettin' close to the time when y'all need to gather up the family and head to town to get throwed out of Applebee's again.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 03:58 AM

Lefty. Relief. Pitcher. Embrace it, think of what a future contract will be worth in 15 years.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 09:04 AM

I loved playing little league in my youth. Then some coaches found out I was left handed. Most pitcher back then couldn't pitch to lefties, and most hitters couldn't hit off lefties. So of course I got beaned and walked A LOT. I also could throw a mean slider that would fool most hitters. So they wanted me for their travel teams. I started hating baseball. I told my dad after my third year I wasn't going back there was no joy in it any more.

Then I had a kid of my own. He loved baseball and was a good relief pitcher. He got on a travel team. All that was, was an excuse for the kids to go play baseball, the dads to go watch the games and practice with the kids, and for the womenfolk to sit around drinking their wines and flavored beers while flirting with the 18 yr old life guards at the hotel pool.

I think we figured out we spent about $4000 on hotel, entry and other fees one summer.

I still love watching little league. It's more fun now that I don't have a kid playing and don't have all the pressure.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 09:29 AM

congarts to him and you

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 09:16 PM

Savell I know it doesn't seem like it now but at some point those youngins will be up and out on their own and lets just face it, you are raising them to be confident so they will handle most of life's hurdles well on their own. At that point you and the wife will have to figure out what to do with all your time and the left over money in your bank account. It is a rough adjustment but I am makin it myself right now.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 09:38 PM

Congratulations to your son. I'm glad for him. What's his name?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 11:27 PM

There's nothing like watching your boy stand in left field checking out the dandelions or butterflies as the ball dribbles past him. There were times I wanted to throttle him but he eventually came around. Never missed a game or a practice if I could help it. Loved almost every minute of it.

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/15/21 11:46 PM

Thanks men... I imagine he’ll grow out of it once he figures up how much fishing time it’s costing him lol

Bobsheedy... his name is Outlaw Jesse Henry Savell
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 12:41 AM

Happy for you and your son!
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 11:27 AM

Savell, did you ever think that ole Lefty would be the person of logic on this thread??

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 08:14 PM

Man I can't catch a break with this crowd. Date a few redheads and a spicy lil Latino lady and you never hear the end of it.

Savell knows a good kid will run him ragged and he is puttin together a collection of those lil things LOL.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 08:21 PM

You are screwed....
My boys were the same. Then it was road trips to tournament... Weekend of ball
Sure cut into the fishing. And the scholarships suck.
Make sure you try football next. We did two of three on full ride.....
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 11:04 PM

At least you didn’t get sucked into coaching. I’m coaching mine and the all star team right now. The skeeters in the town where we practice are off the chain. I think I saw one siphoning gas out of an 18 wheel rig. And it was standing flat footed.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/16/21 11:15 PM

I would encourage and support him to play.
It was years ago but I had a cousin that was a good ball player in school and signed a contract with the St. Louis Cardinals straight out of high school.
He didn't have an agent, just a good coach that got him exposure. He played short stop and second base down in Florida in the minors but broke his knee in the middle of his second year,
That ended any chance of a career for him.
One good thing was that when they signed him straight out of high school his contract called for them to pay for his college to get a degree, no matter what happened.

Good luck Jesse..
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Never Should Have.. - 06/17/21 12:42 AM

The Savell Slugger!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums