Home

Paging Jumperzee

Posted By: white17

Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:33 AM

4 miles south of me right now. 81 degrees and dry as popcorn. Big white spruce

Burned needles falling in my yard now. Can hear them hitting the deck roof.

Of course the FAA chose this very time to resurface the runway so we can't run retardant or jumpers out here at this time.

Might be a hot time in the old town tonight !

I hate summer !

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sharon

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:42 AM

Man....way early for dry heat and fire danger....that's why rain and cool is so good. Folks will be packing emergency things, just in case.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:46 AM

Great timing on the runway resurface. You would think that a high fire danger may have put off the job until more favorable conditions arrived.

Chris

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:50 AM

That makes too much sense I think. smile
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 03:09 AM

4 miles is a-little-to-close-for-comfort in my opinion.
Good luck tonight
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 03:26 AM

That's not good at all Ken ! I hope you folks stay safe and that fire is contained in a short amount of time !

Or get Pete busy on that I'm sure he's ready to get back to work !
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 05:01 AM

That sucks Ken! Lemonade approach might be to start digging and then bill the team for your hours later!

I hate summer too! The fun factor went out of that stuff a long time ago!

Hope you get some support up there. Too close for comfort!
Posted By: hdwolfer

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 12:08 PM

Hang in there Ken, good luck.
It's starting down here too.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 01:02 PM

Stay safe Ken!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 01:46 PM

Cooled of to about 48 right now. Wind was kicking up about 20 mph until midnight. Calm now.

Pretty smoky in town but the fire appears to be less active for the moment.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:38 PM

Can't pave a runway in freezing weather, only during warm months.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:45 PM

Grab a Pulaski and quit whining.....!

Pete

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 02:51 PM

Is a Pulaski anything like a brewski ?

True story Charles.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 08:29 PM

Did they get a handle on this one White17?
Posted By: 4TATER

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/15/21 11:09 PM

I hope the winds take it away from you Ken. It’s shapin up to be a bad fire year I believe. Prayin for rain and cooler temperatures for ya. And the brewski is for after you get done with the Pulaski!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

They dropped 12 guys on it and got one load of retardant on it but it is still uncontained.

The wind came around from SW to W and that has helped clear the smoke.

Tomorrow the wind is supposed to swing NW and then NE. That should help a lot

TATER: I think the last time I had a beer was in 1990. Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine !! smile

Pic from this morning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 02:09 AM

Grab a P---Pack and a bucket and get over there.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 02:50 AM

looks like some high pressure system you have with that straight up smoke tower
hope the pattern clears up soon.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 07:42 AM

I thought I smelled smoke.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 10:57 AM

good luck stay safe

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 11:04 AM

Looking any better this morning white?

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 01:37 PM

Well the sky looks good this morning but the fire has jumped to 1200 acres overnight. They hit it with retardant on the north yesterday. Trying to steer it into a wetland area. Hopefully the wind will cooperate today
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 03:30 PM

White -

Are all those summer recreational homes, condominiums, and boutiques along the boardwalk going to be okay?

Jack

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
White -

Are all those summer recreational homes, condominiums, and boutiques along the boardwalk going to be okay?

Jack

You are killing me here Jack!

Pray for the Greater McGrath Metropolitan Area...!

Pete
Posted By: 160user

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by white17

They dropped 12 guys on it and got one load of retardant on it but it is still uncontained.

The wind came around from SW to W and that has helped clear the smoke.

Tomorrow the wind is supposed to swing NW and then NE. That should help a lot

TATER: I think the last time I had a beer was in 1990. Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine !! smile

Pic from this morning.

[Linked Image]

It looks like a couple of Fire Bosses would do some good on that left flank and catch it in the light flashy fuels and give you a cold black edge to work with.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 04:20 PM

And the golf course!

Latest I could find for you:

[Linked Image]

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/16/21 04:54 PM

Just got word from a friend that a new blaze has begun about 1.5 miles east of me.

There is one cabin out that way and a crew has set up sprinklers there and laid hose to a nearby lake. I'm going to guess that this was started by hot debris blowing north out of the main fire.

So far all the huge condos and boutiques are doing well
Posted By: 160user

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jumperzee
And the golf course!

Latest I could find for you:

[Linked Image]

A golf course? Sounds like a decent jump spot because obviously you can’t drive there.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:22 AM

All my geological training that river has changed directions just a few times over the millennial ages...hope the fire does not have it's ideas.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:22 AM

Hey White, did that fire burn any of your trapping ground?

Also, what are your thoughts on fur bearing animal populations after a fires gone through? Certain animals that become abundant for the first 1-5 years then others after that? That sorta thing.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:33 AM

No it's a long ways from my trapline.

Fire & furbearers. I think it depends on how hot the fire gets. If it's super hot I think it kills just about everything in the soil so that regrowth is very slow.

But a sort of cool slow moving fire usually allows grasses the next spring and knocks over dead trees ..............both of which provide cover and grub for voles & shrews. That will eventually bring in furbearers. Especially on the edges where there is still substantial cover available in the unburned areas.

It is especially good for moose too.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:43 AM

Moose were everywhere after the 1980 fire in NW. Were really good for about 10 years then the trees got too tall to see over and too thick to walk through. It’s finally starting to thin out enough to see a ways.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:45 AM

Thanks! Fires have come through here too and I was wondering how trapping will be after that.
I’m sure Marten won’t like a charcoal forest, but maybe fox will be in there looking for mice and rabbits in the new grass!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:51 AM

Actually marten will likely be one of the first to show up. They won't live out in the burn because the overhead cover is limited. But they sure will use the edges of the burn.

The fire that's burning now is running into an old burn that is probably getting close to 20 years old. The moose in that burn are incredibly dense. The access is very difficult so their biggest worry is wolves. But it is a heck of a habitat for them right now

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:55 AM

Interesting! Thanks!!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 02:57 AM

Is there much fuel for it when it hits the old burn?

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 03:04 AM

Yeah there is . Lots of standing dead spruce. Could get really hot
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 04:07 AM

Hope all goes well White17. Nothing worse than fire on the prairie or the forest!!!!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 01:27 PM

Lots of dry lightning all around last night.

6 new fires in the last 24 hours. 4 east of me and 2 north. The one to the south continues to grow. They finally are hitting it with retardant and additional people on the ground. It appears that rain could begin any moment but nothing yet
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 01:34 PM

I'd sure like to see you get that rain, sounds like your country needs it more than anyone elses
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 03:45 PM

I am hoping the rain comes and helps. We had the longest lightning storm with rain I think I can ever remember, it was well over 2 hours solid. I don’t do local news or don’t follow face book to find out how many fires were started but I hope it wasn’t many. We were starting to get smoke from a fire by Ft. Knox mine before the storm.
Wish you well Ken!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 04:19 PM

I'd sure like to see you get that rain, sounds like your country needs it more than anyone elses

I'm starting to fell like ol' Bulletbox wishing for rain

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
I am hoping the rain comes and helps. We had the longest lightning storm with rain I think I can ever remember, it was well over 2 hours solid. I don’t do local news or don’t follow face book to find out how many fires were started but I hope it wasn’t many. We were starting to get smoke from a fire by Ft. Knox mine before the storm.
Wish you well Ken!

Thanks Larry. Our tankers coming out of Palmer were all being diverted to your area. Seems like that may have slacked off a bit

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 07:21 PM

It's RAINING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 08:17 PM

Glad to hear the rain has arrived. Hope it extinguishes the fire!

Chris
Posted By: Stewie

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 08:21 PM

I'm glad to hear it's raining . I hope you get enough to help knock the fires down.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 08:52 PM

Yes, you are getting good rain now !

Love to see cool temps and rain in summer. mid 30s , and good rains for some days in the NW regions here.

Don't know why so many love baking sun and the heat !

Years ago, when the summers were always cool and rainy , those who moved into North Idaho from CA complained about the cool wet, and after a couple of years many moved out. Locals just smiled....along with the real winters ...really helped to thin out those who also didn't care for what the west was all about .

Enjoy the rain.... grin
Posted By: decoy

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 09:12 PM

Great news Ken. [b][/b]
PTL.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/17/21 09:41 PM

It's RAINING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s awesome!!!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/18/21 08:38 PM

Did the rain get her snuffed out ken?

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/19/21 12:58 AM

No but it sure slowed it down a lot. We had a real frog-strangler for about seven hours. Rained so hard it knocked out my internet connection.

It did allow the guys to get control of the fire just east of me. That's a real relief !

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/19/21 12:59 AM

Glad to hear!
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 02:36 PM

white 17 -

I just had to resurrect this thread and comment Ken. Most people have the idea that forest fires are "bad". This comes, I suspect, from listening to, and believing the narrative, on MSM. In my opinion, nothing further from the truth. Wildfire, as you know, Ken, is an integral part of Alaska. Most of the resources that we use (lynx, marten, moose, etc) are dependent on periodic "renewal", facilitated by recurring wildfire. The best thing, in my opinion, that can occur, is mosaic natural wildfires that knock back or reset the natural progression of vegetation. Obviously, I'm all in favor of protecting trapline cabins and villages, but most of that area throughout interior Alaska, really needs to burn periodically. I'm sure you don't disagree.

My $.02....

Jack
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 02:42 PM

So I guess controlled burns aren’t done out there?

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Sure. We do plenty of fuel reduction and habitat enhancement fires in AK.

I can recall at least one project where we fired out over 50,000 acres in two days in the Fortymile Country (and the third day it rained and we were heroes!)

But the bottom line is that we get plenty of natural fire (from lightening starts) and really don't need to deliberately light much.

Pete

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 04:59 PM

I agree Jack. As You well remember, our moose population was really being hammered by bears & wolves around 2000. If memory serves, your successor was out collaring moose calves in the late spring. Momma moose was not a happy camper and put some karate moves on Toby to save her calf. I believe it was the chopper pilot who fired a cracker round at momma moose and that started the Katlitna fire. The same old fire that this new one is now running into.

Well that old burn that I referenced above, is now providing just dynamite habitat for the moose and our population has recovered tremendously. Wolf control has helped a great deal and bear relocation helped somewhat.

This new fire is now 44% contained and "mopping up " has begun. We got a LOT of rain last night.

EDIT: this fire was caused by a campfire. The individual had camped there two weeks before the fire broke out. He thought he had put it out and claims he used lots of water and stirred the ashes. We all know how fire , in this country, can burn and move underground for a long distance and a very long time before coming to the surface again.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Sure. We do plenty of fuel reduction and habitat enhancement fires in AK.

I can recall at least one project where we fired out over 50,000 acres in two days in the Fortymile Country (and the third day it rained and we were heroes!)

But the bottom line is that we get plenty of natural fire (from lightening starts) and really don't need to deliberately light much.

Pete

I understand that, but wouldn’t more controlled burns reduce the fuel for the natural fires? It seems most fires I hear about are in areas where they haven’t been burned before if ever. That’s a lot of fuel waiting to ignite. We keep ours on a three year rotation and they can sometimes be a handful. Can’t imagine 10+ years of fuel on the deck.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:21 PM

The fire that's burning now is running into an old burn that is probably getting close to 20 years old.

Oh Snap said there was a fire near Fort Knox. I guess it must have been close to twenty years ago I was working at the mine and that entire area was ablaze. Went home smelling like you'd spent the day downwind of a smoldering campfire. Couldn't see across the mine some days. Stunted black spruce, wouldn't think there'd be anything left to burn.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:25 PM

I went through Ft. Knox mine about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't recall seeing evidence of a fire.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:31 PM

I went through Ft. Knox mine about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't recall seeing evidence of a fire.

We could see the fires burning in the distance from the road going into the mine. It doesn't seem (memory) like it was that far off. There were days when you couldn't see the far side of the mine for the smoke.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:37 PM

I can believe that !!

What an interesting place !!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:45 PM

I can believe that !!

What took you down there, Ken? I'm glad you got the rain. Couldn't help but notice some planes in one of your pics and wondered if any of them were fabric.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:48 PM

Posco
Would that have been the wolf creek fire? I am trying to remember what year that was. There were 2 fires that joined and burned a huge area and smoke it seemed forever!

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Posco
Would that have been the wolf creek fire? I am trying to remember what year that was. There were 2 fires that joined and burned a huge area and smoke it seemed forever!

It could be. I remember days when it was questionable whether they would let us into the mine depending on which way the wind was blowing. I have pictures here somewhere I took of the fires from the mine road. The quality of the pics are poor because I waited too long before I had the film developed. I'll try to dig them out and post them up. They lost a lot of acreage that summer.

Re: Paging Jumperzee - 06/20/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
I can believe that !!

What took you down there, Ken? I'm glad you got the rain. Couldn't help but notice some planes in one of your pics and wondered if any of them were fabric.

Possible there were some private aircraft in the area just rubber-necking. Those could certainly be rag airplanes but DNR doesn't use any as far as I know.
Mostly an Aero-commander for recon and admin. All the jump ships are metal as are the choppers and tankers of course

The superintendent at FT Knox was the son of a friend of mine. He took us through. Plus I am a freak about geology. The equipment is amazing !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums