Home

Retirement relocation.

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 09:47 PM

Low taxes, good climate. Red state preferred, but red county is a requirement. Where do I go in the southeast? Is Tennessee my best choice?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 09:49 PM

Atlanta, GA is nice I hear. grin

Chris
Posted By: warrior

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 09:50 PM

Georgia needs all the help it can get to offset Atlanta.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:04 PM

Wrightsville NC is nice
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:14 PM

Check out Ashe County, NC
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:22 PM

I've been pondering that same question for a number of years, now. Pretty much the same criteria, and not even limited to just the USA.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that anyplace that looks great today might just be one election away from "Royal Blue". I can't control much, but these few acres in Hennepin County will remain RED.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:26 PM

Some folks living in Costa Rica. I think that's where Lefty's Miss Bendy lives.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:29 PM

Most likely North and South Dakota will be the last hold outs.

No income tax in SD and the climate is agreeable if your tough.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Most likely North and South Dakota will be the last hold outs.

No income tax in SD and the climate is agreeable if your tough.

I live in WI. That wouldn't really be a change. I want a warmer winter climate.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:55 PM

You were doing fine until you said .

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

Changed your tune just a little?
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:00 PM

Everyone I know that’s close to retiring is looking real hard at Texas.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:03 PM

I’m partial to Alabama.
Posted By: Owen

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:20 PM

North central Arkansas. Anything above Conway to the west from there. All the way to Van Buren. Stay as far away from Little Rock and northwest ark as possible.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:23 PM

Idaho

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf

Changed your tune just a little?

What do you mean? Georgia still has a strong southern conservative base throughout the state but Atlanta is being flooded with transplants. That with our generational dumbed down native democrat population plus changes in our voting has tilted things against the conservative base. We are at risk of becoming another Illinois.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:25 PM

For now the rino party still controls the gold dome and all major state offices but as this last election aftermath has shown they are not to be trusted. We need fired up solid conservatives willing to fight to keep this state sane.
Posted By: Oreamnos

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/16/21 11:38 PM

TN is pretty good for climate and taxes. Around Nashville and Knoxville are more expensive. If you're looking for flat river bottoms consider west TN. Jackson, TN and surrounding. Take a good look at the plateau area too. Jamestown near the Big South Fork is a pretty nice area.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 12:35 AM

Don’t want to be the reason a thread gets the axe. So I’ll just remind you of something you posted prior to election. Something about never was and never will be?
Posted By: James

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 12:49 AM

I'm just glad he said a warm climate...

Jim

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by James

Jim

Hi James. I've been your way already. Had to change planes in Anchorage on the way to Kodiak.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:03 AM

Don’t want to be the reason a thread gets the axe. So I’ll just remind you of something you posted prior to election. Something about never was and never will be?

Care to elaborate?

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:09 AM

America is faltering,..if there are those that can't comprehend that,..that's unfortunate,....at what point do you question that which you witness?
Seek out states that best meet your requirements, Most will welcome,..providing you carry no will,.baggage
Posted By: Machias

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota
Idaho

Great choice, but we're all full. Sorry

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:39 AM

If you mean my pre election confidence that Trump would carry Georgia? Well he did, the legitimate legal vote that is. I did not foresee the big cheat.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Machias
Idaho

Yep. And to cold.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:50 AM

Idaho

don't blame you! I may sneek in some day : grin
Posted By: martyd

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 02:20 AM

I lived and worked in ND for 7 years. Loved the state. My plan in 3 years is retire in ND from April 1 to Nov 22
( millions in state money because if the oil ) but within 30 miles of the SD. Best of both states. Then Nov 22 to April 1 live in St George Utah or around that area. That’s the plan any way. Going to take a road trip this winter to Utah and get the scoop on that state. Marty
Posted By: EdP

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 02:22 AM

Kentucky and Tn are your best choices IMO. My first choice would be east Tn where you can get some elevation so the humidity is lower. I love the area where I live but wish I was about 6 - 7 miles southeast across the Tn line. When you consider Ga keep in mind how close Stacy Abrams came to being the gov.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by martyd
I lived and worked in ND for 7 years. Loved the state. My plan in 3 years is retire in ND from April 1 to Nov 22 ( millions in state money because if the oil ) but within 30 miles of the SD. Best of both states. Then Nov 22 to April 1 live in St George Utah or around that area. That’s the plan any way. Going to take a road trip this winter to Utah and get the scoop on that state. Marty

Sounds good! Best of luck to you.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 02:45 AM

I live in East Tennessee and if you like the mountains it's a great place to live. Low cost of living and tons of public land
Posted By: charles

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 03:19 AM

NC mountains. Avoid City of Asheville. All else is red.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 03:21 AM

[Linked Image]

The winters here in East Tennessee are worse than in northern Alaska
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by James

Jim

Anchorage is a warm climate.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 11:14 AM

Dont overlook Louisiana , Northern Florida, southern Mississippi.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 11:18 AM

Come on down S&R,
Everyone else is. North, south, east and west... they a comin.'

Oh and that warmer part. Done. Literally.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 11:54 AM

I'm considering the UP or South Dakota. Although, moving to the UP doesn't make a lot of sense considering where I live.

Love South Dakota!
Posted By: badger

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 12:27 PM

Texas would be nice. I like Iowa and our governor, just not the weather when I retire.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:06 PM

For now the rino party still controls the gold dome and all major state offices but as this last election aftermath has shown they are not to be trusted. We need fired up solid conservatives willing to fight to keep this state sane.

Looking at a map, Georgia is mostly red…except for Atlanta and a few other blue patches.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
[Linked Image]

The winters here in East Tennessee are worse than in northern Alaska

How bad is the snow/winter?.. I always thought tn would be great to move to...
Posted By: decoy

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 10:10 PM

Idaho

Ain't that the truth Machias. Another article on the news this morning about CD'A being the highest nation wide.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 10:25 PM

And idaho is such a beautiful state, great back country flying too...
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/17/21 11:23 PM

Tennessee is great, no state income tax, decent cost of living, 2A friendly, good deer, duck and turkey hunting, plenty of lakes and rivers for fishing and decent trapping in some areas. If you shoot or trap coyotes we are full of them. Avoid Memphis and Nashville / Davidson County - they are the blue dots in the state. Winters are generally milder here but some winters we get a fair amount of snow by our standards. Last winter we got the white stuff in Middle TN. Come on down but after you, we’re full too...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 12:25 AM

We spent a lot of time looking at states in the SE when Drifter retired. We chose MS, in part because we found a deal here we liked, but also largely because it seems to be the reddest state. Has wonderful trapping laws, or rather lack there of. Great gun laws. Low taxes. NO property tax on the first 100k once you turn 65. You can conceal or open carry without a permit. No trap jaw restrictions other than nothing bigger than a 220 on public land. Trapping season from Nov. 1st thru March 15th. Live market for coyote so you can make a little money. Meat market for coon.

When it comes to the color of the county politics down here, you'll be confused. Most of the really conservative people still run on a blue ticket. This is not the case for state or federal political candidates, ONLY county. My county is QUITE conservative, but also mostly blue or independent. There's conservative blue, and democrat blue... you really have to know the candidate to know who you're voting for.

All in all, I don't think you will find a south-eastern state with more freedom and less laws than MS.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 02:09 AM

Buckmink it depends on what part of Tennessee you are in, I live in a small town (Roan Mountain)close to the NC line and we are pretty high elevation (3,000-6,000ft) and get quite a bit of snow here. But you drive 20 mins and they hardly see more than a skiff of snow
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 04:23 AM

Idaho

I moved to Idaho from Pennsylvania four years ago. Since I wasn’t from a wacko state like California and a conservative, the locals accepted me. However, they also said I will be the last out of state person they will accept so I am steadfast in their wishes lol.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 04:25 AM

In the east Tennessee would be my choice, 4 seasons and excellent sporting opportunities. Look at RM Trapper's posts. Like anyplace the further from major cities the better it gets and I don't think I ever met someone from the left coast there.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Buckmink it depends on what part of Tennessee you are in, I live in a small town (Roan Mountain)close to the NC line and we are pretty high elevation (3,000-6,000ft) and get quite a bit of snow here. But you drive 20 mins and they hardly see more than a skiff of snow

Twenty minutes straight down. LOL

There's places like that in north Georgia. It always surprises me the difference in weather and temperatures when I get the opportunity to get go to the mountains.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by badger
Texas would be nice. I like Iowa and our governor, just not the weather when I retire.

Was just in Texas, not a state I'd ever move to. Ok was the best looking most inviting state we went through, but pot stores on every block kinda put them in a bad light too IMO. If we move it'll be North, not South, I'm no fan of the heat. One of the Dakotas I think would be high on the list.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 05:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Here's a picture from the mountain behind my house, we have to s of public lands to hunt and trap
Posted By: Remington700

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 11:45 AM

I’m in West TN and overall it is a great place to live. As someone else mentioned it is flat farm land and swamps. Middle TN is hills, and East mountains. Stay away from large cities. We have a lot of wildlife and outdoor activities.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 11:53 AM

I see where northwest Arkansas was voted the best place to retire and that makes sense in a lot of ways.

For me and the Mrs. we'll be on a lake here in Minnesota in the summer, but 3 moths or so in Texas or Arizona is likely. I don't think she'll be away from the grandkids for more than a couple months at a time though. 11 grandchildren and more on the way has her thinking about them all the time.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by badger

Was just in Texas, not a state I'd ever move to. Ok was the best looking most inviting state we went through, but pot stores on every block kinda put them in a bad light too IMO. If we move it'll be North, not South, I'm no fan of the heat. One of the Dakotas I think would be high on the list.

The Dakotas are really nice. I spend a lot of time in North Dakota. I also spend a lot of time in Texas and was in Houston most of this week. Texas is changing fast thanks to California migrants and some other reasons. Not good.

As for Oklahoma, you are right. We are all on Marijuana. More importantly, there is no more room here.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 12:16 PM

I'm in east-central Idaho up against the Montana border. I grew up in central Idaho (McCall) and worked and lived in various parts of the state. Went to Alaska in 1980, and retired back to Idaho in 2008. Very carefully picked my retirement location (low human density, no "real" hospital, 150 miles to shopping in either Idaho Falls or in Missoula, extremely conservative voting, etc.). Since returning (14 years ago), I've been very disappointed in the influx of "new people" into the state, and them bringing their liberal politics with them (from California, Colorado, upper midwest, and east coast). One of the major reasons I moved where I did was the lack of people (so why would I encourage more people to move in???). We've seen many negative changes in the 14 years we've been back to Idaho. Perhaps it's time to return to Alaska?

I'm getting pretty fed up with more houses popping up and the country filling up with ORVs by the hundreds. Doesn't anybody walk any more? Why can't they take their garbage back home with them?

Don't come to Idaho.

Jack
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 06:47 PM

In Fairbanks only the liberals walk. The conservatives ride $25,000 side by sides.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 07:10 PM

I hear southern Nevada is nice this time of year.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/death-valley-las-vegas-smash-records-as-heat-wave-in-west-persists
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/18/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Check out Ashe County, NC

Nobody can afford to buy any land in NC right now.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/19/21 03:31 AM

Below is a link to the 50 states as to cost of living. I would be more concerned about total living costs then just taxes. Also you will see that most are southern states or well south of WI so that fulfills the warmer climate needs. Many are also red states and for sure have locations that are very red if those counties fit the other demands.

Bryce

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with-lowest-cost-of-living
Posted By: Machias

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/29/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
I'm in east-central Idaho up against the Montana border. I grew up in central Idaho (McCall) and worked and lived in various parts of the state. Went to Alaska in 1980, and retired back to Idaho in 2008. Very carefully picked my retirement location (low human density, no "real" hospital, 150 miles to shopping in either Idaho Falls or in Missoula, extremely conservative voting, etc.). Since returning (14 years ago), I've been very disappointed in the influx of "new people" into the state, and them bringing their liberal politics with them (from California, Colorado, upper midwest, and east coast). One of the major reasons I moved where I did was the lack of people (so why would I encourage more people to move in???). We've seen many negative changes in the 14 years we've been back to Idaho. Perhaps it's time to return to Alaska?

I'm getting pretty fed up with more houses popping up and the country filling up with ORVs by the hundreds. Doesn't anybody walk any more? Why can't they take their garbage back home with them?

Don't come to Idaho.

Jack

You know what they say Jack, "Call some place Paradise, Kiss it good bye!"
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/29/21 07:52 PM

Reddest MID-western states (91-65% red) 1.WY 2.SD 3.ID 4.KS 5.MT as of right now.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/29/21 09:09 PM

Most people are locked into the money where they live now so going to other States that pay less is tough to deal with.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/29/21 09:45 PM

At the local coffee shop this morning I heard one of our locals say "South Dakota is full". I think the tourist that are here now have to leave for home before the first frost or when the elk start to bugle in the fall, which ever comes first.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Also just to make it known, our governor is not for sale or trade !!!!!!!!!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Retirement relocation. - 06/29/21 09:47 PM

Eugene, Oregon. I'll send some pics of our nice homeless camps and people in tie-dye T shirts and birkenstocks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums