Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 02:07 PM

What??? LOL
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 02:19 PM

Ok I'll bite.........WHY????
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 03:01 PM

Not this year at all. Post office said it happened to late to implement it next year. Other government offices will be closed today.

The US government has declared a new national holiday. Passed by Congress and signed into law by the President.

It is called Juneteenth and is celebrated on June 19 every year starting this year. Google it to find out the whole story.

I like to think of it as a celebration of my parents wedding anniversary. They were married on June 19, 1943. My Dad was home on leave from the Army. They got married just before my Dad shipped out to England to fight in WWII.
Posted By: run

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 03:03 PM

Thanks for the update, wissmiss.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 03:39 PM

Thanks wissmiss. Looked it up. End of slavery holiday. Doesn't seem to affect me much. Another holiday for state and federal employees to get paid. Not me. I would think it would be celebrated more like Vets day or Pearl harbor day, lots of Americans died on both sides. What I looked up showed people dancing and partying. Guess there's two sides to everything.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 03:46 PM

Yep , workers still have to work to pay for the non-workers
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 03:55 PM

Let's see here. We have Martin Luther King holiday, and now this Juneteenth holiday. Seems a bit racist to me but that can't be right. To even it up for the privileged white folks they need to have a get a job and go to work holiday. Or even a duck, dodge, and hide holiday to help the people out in Chicago.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 04:15 PM

Is march and august the last months to NOT have a federal holiday?

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

I think it is only august. Easter can be in either March or April.

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

I think it is only august. Easter can be in either March or April.

Easter isn't a federal holiday, I guess it's March,April and August.

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 06:09 PM

I guess you are right about Easter. I was confused.

I’m sure they will eventually come up with holidays for those months. I can think of multiple groups that are left out of the current list. LOL

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 06:14 PM

Schools do let out for Good Friday. But thats as part spring break usually. Though somehow they never seem to use Friday as one of the makeup days when we had too much snow
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 07:51 PM

Yes, to round out the year of having a federal holiday about every month, there would have to be a fill in of March, April, and August. The major racial/ethic groups not currently represented are Native Americans, Hispanics, and Asians. The first could be solved by officially changing Columbus Day to Native American day. Some states already do, South Dakota for one but its a "light" holiday here, schools have their choice to be open or closed. Both Hispanic and Asian span more backgrounds so picking a single day for each would be harder. Maybe Simon Bolivar's birthday for Hispanics would be more inclusive but still leaving some out (Cubans, PRs, etc). Asian day is more wide open. In the Biden-Harris way of thinking, maybe when the last WWII Japanese interment camp was closed down, especially if that date fell within March, April, or August. If FDR/Truman would have been Republican, they'd be all over this one.

I'm saying some of this tongue-in-cheek...
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 07:55 PM

Wait for it---"Gay Day"! On 15 Apr maybe?
Posted By: jarrett

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 09:52 PM

National weed day 4-20
Posted By: run

Re: Post Office - 06/18/21 09:52 PM

I guess next on the list is trappers day. Maybe Daniel Boone's birthday or something.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums