Home

Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap

Posted By: James

Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 05:45 PM

The snowmachine didn't have anything wrong with it, no collision dents or parts needing replacement. Only 1,200 miles. It was an outdated two-stroke model, obsolete in comparison with current model snowmachines. But the make and model still have their fans.

The big drawback to my snowmachine was that it had been sitting in place outside our house for eight or nine years, since I'd retired it along with myself from running a short-line wilderness trapline.

A young guy from our son's old church in Anchorage (our son moved to Idaho) heard that I wanted to sell the machine, and asked how much. I told him $600--IF he could get it running and out of my backyard.

So he came over with a friend and they tinkered with it. Half hour later I hear the sound of a two-stroke engine fire up outside my office window. A few minutes later came a knock on the front door.

"How much do you want for it?" The guy asks, looking down. We both knew that my Skandic, now that it was running, was worth more than six hundred dollars.

"Six hundred," I told him. HIs face lit up. It's like people don't even expect you to keep your word these days.

Turned out he wanted the machine to take his little kids ice-fishing. I miss the machine, and the years it took me trapping.

Jim
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 07:13 PM

Cool story Jim. A blessing for the young man and his family.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 07:38 PM

A man of his word.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 09:21 PM

Sounds like it went to a great home
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 09:50 PM

Nice!!!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 10:03 PM

Couldn't have ended up at a better place, helping a father and son

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 11:30 PM

The friend who came with the buyer is a trapper. He saw some of my old marten boxes behind the Skandic, and we wound up talking trapping. Turned out his line isn't far from my brother's long line.

Jim
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/18/21 11:39 PM

Sounds like you gave the guy a good deal.
If you'd cleaned it up and got it running yourself to sell, what would it be worth?
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/19/21 02:49 AM

Where, in general terms, was your wilderness line?

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/19/21 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
If you'd cleaned it up and got it running yourself to sell, what would it be worth?

I don't know, but at least a thousand I'd think. It was the only snowmachine I ever owned, and I don't know much about their value.

I honestly thought the guy wouldn't be able to start it and would just walk away.

It's hard to sell away part of your personal trapping history. But he looked like he'd give the Skandic a good home.

Jim
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/19/21 11:01 AM

sound like it went to a good home , smile
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/19/21 12:48 PM

Good for you!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sold my 1993 Skidoo Skandic cheap - 06/19/21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by trapdog1

I don't know, but at least a thousand I'd think. It was the only snowmachine I ever owned, and I don't know much about their value.

I honestly thought the guy wouldn't be able to start it and would just walk away.

It's hard to sell away part of your personal trapping history. But he looked like he'd give the Skandic a good home.

Jim

Yes, it was part of your personal history, but now it will be part of someone else's too. That's kinda cool.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums