Home

What is it?

Posted By: Nittany Lion

What is it? - 06/18/21 10:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Stands about 2 1/2 feet high, kind of a bowl at the top where the wife put flowers.
Posted By: run

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:08 PM

A grindstone?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:34 PM

Fossilized Alien eggcase. The crab snake thing is gone.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:35 PM

A rock.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:37 PM

Part of Stonehenge
Posted By: Cragar

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by run
A grindstone?

A worn down grindstone - castoff.

We have a bunch around here , wheel shaped about 2'-3' diameter. There was a wood refinishing mill around these parts about 100 years ago. Rumor and old pictures show the original size was about 10' in diameter. I would guess the one in the picture is more like the ones found in old water powered grain/flour mills.

OP , are there any old mills/ flowing sources of water close to your location?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:48 PM

Don't know but would make a great mortar for a pestle

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by run
A grindstone?

A worn down grindstone - castoff.

We have a bunch around here , wheel shaped about 2'-3' diameter. There was a wood refinishing mill around these parts about 100 years ago. Rumor and old pictures show the original size was about 10' in diameter. I would guess the one in the picture is more like the ones found in old water powered grain/flour mills.

OP , are there any old mills/ flowing sources of water close to your location?

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 11:05 PM

The area I live in has a bunch of small towns within a 20 mile radius, back in the day each town it seems had at least one feed mill, some of those feed mills go back many years and some of them had water wheels. I do not know much about this item, that is why I posted a picture, it is hard to see from my picture but the front has like a dip, like some sort of an opening for something to spill out of the bowl is what it looks like to me. This came about from my wife's uncle. He had it in his yard and it supposedly came from a small farm where he was born and raised. He passed away a few months ago and none of the family wanted it, that is all my wife had to hear, she said she would take it. The problem is no one knows what the heck it is. When I first laid my eyes on it I figured it was used to grind something. We had to hire someone to deliver it, lol. I got the bill today and the excavating firm that moved it called it a grinding stone on the bill. Here are two more pictures .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cotton

Re: What is it? - 06/18/21 11:05 PM

A really mean pig castrater
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 12:04 AM

Base for a parking lot light pole

Theft proof flower pot laugh

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 12:27 AM

Good one BTL, I will tell my wife she has a theft proof flower pot.
Posted By: run

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 12:29 AM

Nice pictures.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 12:45 AM

How heavy is it Jim?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 12:50 AM

Looks nice.

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
How heavy is it Jim?

I don't know how heavy it is, I was not here when it was delivered, my wife said they used the bucket on a backhoe to unload it and place it.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Good one BTL, I will tell my wife she has a theft proof flower pot.

don't shoot low when the grackles are de-heading the marigolds.....would not want to leave any streaks in it.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 11:51 AM

Look up "hemp mill stone" they were used to mill hemp. That what it looks like to me.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 01:59 PM

Nope you guys are wrong that is a waterless toilet. Designed to save the planet and wipe out global warming.
Posted By: hippie

Re: What is it? - 06/19/21 02:47 PM

Pretty neat Jim, I never saw one like that in this area. Here's a pic I came up with after some googling..

[Linked Image]

Here's the only kind I ever saw..

[Linked Image]

Back after the flood of '72, the guy who lived at the end of town had to rebuild his porch and decided to look for the mill stones from the Mexico mill which stood on his property. My granddad worked at the mill in the 19 teens before he went to wwi so he pointed out where he thought they'd be. After some probing with a long steel rod, they dug and came up with them.

Last house on left leaving town heading towards T-Town you'll see them in the porch wall. Two other ones were taken to the campground and stood in the yard.

They were laying just behind the servicemen monument not 15' from 22.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums