Home

Bird(?) Trapping Contraption

Posted By: We-Sa

Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/19/21 10:50 PM

Got this at a yard sale this morning. What the heck is it?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/19/21 10:52 PM

Sparrow trap.

Moosetrot
Posted By: weaselnut

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/19/21 10:57 PM

Yep, looks like a sparrow trap to me too.

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 12:25 AM

Thanks Moose trot, weaselnut,

Why would you trap sparrows?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 12:27 AM

LOL,they are out of chickens--thats why.
Tom

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
LOL,they are out of chickens--thats why.
Tom

Lol

We have problems with starlings here. I've seen flocks so big they look like something out of a Hitchcock movie. Never thought about sparrows being the same way.

https://www.birdbgone.com
Posted By: Tray

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by We-Sa

House sparrows are a invasive species and compete with many birds for nesting cavities including species like Bluebirds, Tree Swallows and Purple Martins. I know that in order to successfully raise Purple Martins here I have to control the House Sparrows as they will outcompete my Martins for nesting cavities, and will enter the nest boxes and destroy eggs and kill young Martins.
They have also been documented trapping and killing female bluebirds inside the nest boxes.

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tray

House sparrows are a invasive species and compete with many birds for nesting cavities including species like Bluebirds, Tree Swallows and Purple Martins. I know that in order to successfully raise Purple Martins here I have to control the House Sparrows as they will outcompete my Martins for nesting cavities, and will enter the nest boxes and destroy eggs and kill young Martins.
They have also been documented trapping and killing female bluebirds inside the nest boxes.

That's some of the same issues we have with starlings. Never knew sparrows would kill Martin's or blue birds. I don't know if starlings will kill Martin's but I know they'll run them out of the nesting areas.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 02:13 AM

Got this at a yard sale this morning. What the heck is it?

grin Brilliant! 'Don't know what it is; But, I'm buying it and taking it home! " laugh

Seriously though; I've come that close to grabbing one myself, in years gone by. They're kind of iconic. So clunky. Bit like the Soviet era fridges I heard of, in college. Made or armoured steel. Because they ran out of need for tanks and had so much tank metal left over.

Little compartment, in the middle? That's for the 'Call Bird' / Decoy. I'm not allowed to use one of those. (I'm a 'Bander' and my governing body considers it unethical). So, I use stuff more like this ~ Forgive me. The site seems to give me grief in trying to enter open you tube clips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06kITiVXJgo
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 02:28 AM

We call it a starling trap --- the only problem is you only get a couple at a time. They do work but i have shotgunned about 100 this year (since jan 1 -- and yes i am counting them this year) The local dairy shoot the feed alley and one shot will get as many as 30 (according to the shooter), the most I have ever gotten in one shot is 10.

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 11:37 AM

Interesting stuff.

The middle compartment has a spring loaded one-way door leading from both end compartments, maybe to set bait/water in it to catch multiple birds,

Re: Bird(?) Trapping Contraption - 06/20/21 11:44 AM

Apparently they're still available.

https://www.cottagecraftworks.com/wire-sparrow-trap
© 2024 Trapperman Forums