Home

let's talk pack boots

Posted By: white marlin

let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 11:42 AM

looking for a new pair of deer stand boots...cold weather, more sittin' than hiking.

what "system" do y'all recommend?

thanks!
Posted By: MJM

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 12:24 PM

Bunny boots.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 12:46 PM

^^^^ x2 if you can find them with a air valve they're more popular.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 12:50 PM

Baffin boots
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 01:29 PM

Dryshod
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 01:45 PM

Socks and layering are just as important as boots.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 01:55 PM

Bunny boots are good but they weigh 5 lbs each. Lacrosse makes some good boots too but they are also heavy.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Socks and layering are just as important as boots.

For sure. Wool is always part of my system. Cotton is for snot rags
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 02:16 PM

Maybe an insulated gore tex one size larger to fit more socks. If your out a long time, like a full day, could have an extra pair of socks to change if those your wearing get damp.
Posted By: MJM

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 02:27 PM

With bunny boots you can ware any or no socks and still have warm feet. If you have to layer socks and buy special socks to keep your feet warm, you boot is not working. Bunny boots don't care is you sweat and your sock is wet. I fell through the ice trapping beaver and filled my bunny boots. In 15 minutes my feet were as warm as before I fell through. See how that works with a pack boot. It was only about 10 below out, but cool enough you would have been done with anything other than a bunny boot. They are about 1/4 the price of the high dollar boots too.
Posted By: gcs

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 03:00 PM

Felt liner pacs, or rubber boots, one size larger. poly or wool liner socks and med. weight wool sock over...and wear a hat...
Posted By: 20scout

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/20/21 03:45 PM

https://www.minntrapprod.com/Lacrosse-Ice-King-Extra-set-of-liners-FREE/productinfo/ICP-08/ These are a bit bulky but I highly recommend them. Keeping your feet dry is half the battle and these even come with an extra set of liners. Have always had problems keeping my feet warm but these have been a god-send.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 12:06 AM

Bunny boots
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
https://www.minntrapprod.com/Lacrosse-Ice-King-Extra-set-of-liners-FREE/productinfo/ICP-08/ These are a bit bulky but I highly recommend them. Keeping your feet dry is half the battle and these even come with an extra set of liners. Have always had problems keeping my feet warm but these have been a god-send.

also nice option
Posted By: charles

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 12:24 AM

A looser fit is warmer but hard on the toes if you walk downhill. Heavy too.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 02:20 AM

Bunny boots, yes, but where can you find a decent pair nowadays?
Posted By: WTT03

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 09:27 AM

Baffin boots X2
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 10:07 AM

I bet everybody reading this has at least one time had a deer or other animal go lots further than expected. All kind of stuff can happen. You need a boot you can walk in. As soon as you decide walking isnt going to be an issue your going to be trailing one a ways. If you have to sacrifice walking ability to have toasty warm toes its going to bite you sooner or later. Plenty of boots out there you can walk in that will keep your feet reasonably comfortable with a good pair of wool socks on. If wool is to itchy for you put on a pair of thin dress socks then wool.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 10:49 AM

your best bet is to have a pair of boots that you can walk in anything like mucks, and carry a pair for sitting and bring dry sock's to change in to ,my feet sweat when i walk does not matter , the boot my feet sweat
Posted By: deerdragger

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 10:55 AM

I found a system that works perfectly for me. I bought a pair of ArcticShield boot covers. They are thin "boot blankets" that are waterproof and surprisingly warm. I have about a 1/2 mile hike into my go-to rifle stand, so it's nice to be able to wear lighter boots on the way in and out. I typically wear my uninsulated gortex Hoffman hunting boots. If it's especially cold out, I'll wear a pair of 1000 gram thinsulate hunting boots. Before I start my hike I fire up a couple of small disposable hand warmers. After climbing into the stand I slip on the boot covers with a handwarmer sitting on the toebox of each boot. I never have cold feet.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 11:55 AM

Wear your regular hunting boots with a pair of Neos Navigators over-shoes. Best system I have found, comfortable, warm, light weight
Posted By: BigBob

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 05:19 PM

I have a pair of insulated over boot blankets, works great and you can remove them for walking or if it warms up.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Wear your regular hunting boots with a pair of Neos Navigators over-shoes. Best system I have found, comfortable, warm, light weight

I've been thinking about these a couple years since I noticed all the sled dog folks using them. Glad to hear some good experience with these! Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: let's talk pack boots - 06/21/21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW
Originally Posted by Diggerman

I've been thinking about these a couple years since I noticed all the sled dog folks using them. Glad to hear some good experience with these! Happy trapping! ScottW

Thats who told me about them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums