Home

Metal Detectors.

Posted By: redsnow

Metal Detectors. - 06/20/21 10:19 PM

I ordered myself a Minelab Equinox 800 metal detector. Anyone out there have any experience with the machine ?

I've detected before and have a friend that's got an identical machine. Anything special that I should know? Just to help my learning curve?

My machine should be here tomorrow, and my buddy is to give me a few pointers too. But starting out with a new machine is almost like starting from scratch.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/20/21 10:27 PM

I’ve heard nothing but good about that machine. Check out nuggetshooter journals and look up the instructional videos that the host has put out there.(you-tube)
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/21/21 03:06 AM

That is what I have now that I am done fooling around in the Garrett minor leagues.

Until you really learn your machine dig everything. The numbers are different on this machine.

Buy the ear stiffeners.

Do air tests.

You are going to love it.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/21/21 11:20 AM

how much $ for that one I've always wanted to get one
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/21/21 10:49 PM

I have owned many detectors and you just bought the best! I have the higher end Minelabs and the 800 is far superior. The machine is so fast that it will identify different coins very close to each other basically in the same hole. I spent a year in Puerto Rico and detected almost every day. I never found any gold until I got the 800. That machine is a gold magnet! 8 or 9 readings were usually gold rings but dig every thing. Nickels are 13 dimes 25 quarters 29 or30 anything higher is silver or deep iron. Penny's are all over depending on the zinc content. I spent countless hours with that machine submerged in salt water and never had a problem. I can't say enough about the machine. You will love it! It will pull good targets out of buried trash. I once had it reading 9 and 30 on the same target a high and low tone together and it turned out to be a gold and silver ring. The speed is amazing as the amount of gold was a very small heart on the ring. Sorry for rambling but I love that machine!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/21/21 11:18 PM

It's a high dollar, top of the line machine from what I've read and been told. Right at $950 bucks. I know I'll never find enough stuff to pay for it and all. Just a hobby, guess I got my first one back about 40 years ago. I still have it, it's big and bulky and heavy, but a good machine, it'sa White's 6000 DI.

Then I got myself a Fisher 1266-X. It's a good machine, or was. Pulled it out of the closet the other week, loaded it up with batteries and it was dead. Checked it out and I guess one of the battery packs leaked on the contacts. It's just dead. Took it to Radio Shack, nothing doing. So, what do you do? Send it back to the company and spend $200 to have a machine that's 25 years old fixed ? Or buy a new one?

All my Fisher needs is the battery box, when I get a chance I'm going to drill out the rivets and see what I can do. The way it always works, a $5 part will cost you as much as a new machine.

But I'm looking forward to playing with this Minelab. I've got some new places to go, and there should be some good junk up there someplace.

Give me a week or so and I'll have a sack full of pull-tabs and rusty nails and rifle brass and other "treasure".
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 11:02 AM

Be sure to post when you hit the honey hole. I always enjoy seeing what others find and follow these post. I've also considered getting a Equinox myself. I run a Minelab Excalibur now, But would like a machine with a read out not just tones. Being retired a new machine may never be in the budget again unless I sell something else.

Mac

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 01:36 PM

Morning guys. Mac I'm glad that you found this thread, we've talked about machines before, and I couldn't remember what you were running. You've found some good stuff and I agree $950 is a lot of money to spend on a toy.

The new machine wasn't delivered yesterday, hopefully today. Can't wait to play with it.

I've got access to a property that I'm itching to try, 300 acres, and I've been told there were 2 houses up there years ago. I was told that they both burnt down, way before our time, (I think back in the 1920's or so) but I think I know where the foundation was for one of them. So, if there is anything there, it should be good.

Talking about following along with other people's finds. My buddy Steven has a facebook page. Do a search " South Fork Relic Hunters". He's found some good junk, and he's new to the hobby.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 03:24 PM

I have a Minelab Excalibur which was top of the line at one time. But, from what I've heard this 800 is as good as it gets in a hand held detector. I've thought about selling my Excalibur and getting the 800.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 04:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Ive taken about a 6 year hiatus from detecting simply because I moved to a place with little or no History. My new location will have some History and I will be out there trying to find some of it.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
[Linked Image]

Ive taken about a 6 year hiatus from detecting simply because I moved to a place with little or no History. My new location will have some History and I will be out there trying to find some of it.

Those are some pretty neat finds.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/22/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by redsnow
Morning guys. Mac I'm glad that you found this thread, we've talked about machines before, and I couldn't remember what you were running. You've found some good stuff and I agree $950 is a lot of money to spend on a toy.

The new machine wasn't delivered yesterday, hopefully today. Can't wait to play with it.

I've got access to a property that I'm itching to try, 300 acres, and I've been told there were 2 houses up there years ago. I was told that they both burnt down, way before our time, (I think back in the 1920's or so) but I think I know where the foundation was for one of them. So, if there is anything there, it should be good.

Talking about following along with other people's finds. My buddy Steven has a facebook page. Do a search " South Fork Relic Hunters". He's found some good junk, and he's new to the hobby.

Spend time doing research in your local library about your area / State. Research, research, and do more research! It WILL PAYOFF if you put in the time and effort laugh

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
[Linked Image]

Where there are, or have been humans, there is history and "treasures" to be found if you know where to look and identify them :-)
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 02:18 AM

So gold machines and relic machine used to be different is that changed. My only experience is with a white’s gold master in 1991

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 02:21 AM

How does the equinox 800 compare with the gold monster 1000? Strictly for gold in the mountains.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
So gold machines and relic machine used to be different is that changed. My only experience is with a white’s gold master in 1991

It's all about advanced technology in 30 years, machine's frequency, settings, and user knowledge and experience. :-)

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 03:04 AM

Please pardon my ignorance . The areas I have in mind are undeveloped except maybe a shaft or tailing pile.
To totally undeveloped creek beds and erosion gulches. Near zero relics maybe a musket ball or a button.
So equinox 800 or gold monster 1000. I’ve read everything I can find and it looks like the main difference is the gm1000 operates at a higher frequency for small targets in highly mineralized ground? Whereas the 800 operates at multiple freqz simultaneously to detect the widest range of targets. With a gold mode at the end of the frequency spectrum?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 11:20 AM

good read guys thanks

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 11:11 PM

Well, I got the machine today. I had my daughter order the thing and they delivered it 2 houses down the street. A thousand dollar machine, and nobody signs for it, that's just crazy. Throw it on the porch and go. But anyway, I've got it.

Put it together and was playing with it here at work today. Just messing with it, doing an air test, it'll pick up a silver quarter at 9 or 10 inches, and about the same for a silver dime. From what I can see, so far, I think I'll like it.

A friend was here, I could pick up the fillings in her teeth from about 6 inches. lol. She has good teeth but made me stop. Just trying to learn my new machine. lol

But I should have a break from work tomorrow, we've had some rain so the ground should be good. Think I'll take the dog, and cut her in the wind, we'll be a mile behind a locked gate. And see what happens.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/23/21 11:27 PM

Well, I got the machine today. I had my daughter order the thing and they delivered it 2 houses down the street. A thousand dollar machine, and nobody signs for it, that's just crazy. Throw it on the porch and go. But anyway, I've got it.

Put it together and was playing with it here at work today. Just messing with it, doing an air test, it'll pick up a silver quarter at 9 or 10 inches, and about the same for a silver dime. From what I can see, so far, I think I'll like it.

A friend was here, I could pick up the fillings in her teeth from about 6 inches. lol. She has good teeth but made me stop. Just trying to learn my new machine. lol

But I should have a break from work tomorrow, we've had some rain so the ground should be good. Think I'll take the dog, and cut her in the wind, we'll be a mile behind a locked gate. And see what happens.

If you can find one, get this book. West Virginia United States Treasure Atlas

[Linked Image]

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/24/21 12:42 AM

Red snow OUTSTANDING! Looking forward to an update!
I spoke with Bill at nuggetshooter, based on what I will be looking for and where, he said I needed the Gold Monster no hesitation. Not ready to trip the trigger on another grand but but definitely getting itchy. I can hear the mountains in Aridzona calling my name.
Congratulations on your new toy, Hope it pays for itself in the first 1/2 dozen outings

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/24/21 02:56 PM

Morning guys, I had the new machine on charge last night. I've got the green light. Guess I'll call her Ole Number 3.

As soon as things get squared up here in town, I'm gonna take that machine up on the side of the mountain and see what it'll do.

I've got a pocket full of coins, a pull tab, chewing gum wrapper and a snuff can lid, .22 brass and some other junk, I should be ready.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/25/21 12:38 PM

Morning guys, well I took that big machine out yesterday and hit pay dirt.

Didn't get to try the 2 spots where I really wanted to go. The property changed hands recently, and they usually run about 40 head of cattle up there, there are no cows on the farm and the grass is waist deep in spots. There is another small farm house on the property, 3 walls are still standing, sort of. There was never any electric to the house, and from what I've heard the last residents moved out in the 40's or 50's. I made a circle around one side of the old house, I was out 50 yards or so and hit a good signal. It was a 1918 Mecury Dime. It's in good shape too. Dug up a little bit of junk, pull tabs and a beer can top, some kind of iron junk.

I've got a couple hours before I go to work, I'm going to a pasture, there is a hand dug well in the edge of a field. No trace of a house or anything, from what I've been told there was a house there someplace. Hopefully the cows have it mowed down smooth.

We'll see what happens.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/27/21 01:32 PM

Good morning all, Ole Number 3 and I went for a walk Friday morning, messing around the old well site that I mentioned above. I'll give you a run down on what we found.

For the first thing the ground is hard, we need rain. I found a piece of what I'd guess was a bell, I'd say that it's pewter, about a 2 X 2 inch chunk. If it was a bell, intact it would have been 5 or 6 inches at the opening. Not sure? It's non-magnetic.

Also found a little brass box thingy, it's a little bit wider than a pack of chewing gum. The bottom is "textured" and looks to be missing a lid or something?

An iron ring, about 2 inches across. It's still pretty solid. The brass innards to 3 harmonicas And the brass/copper innards to a pocket watch. Took me a while to figure out what that thing was

And part of what I'd guess was a shovel head ? And part of an iron sleleton key. While digging I found pieces of some type of stoneware or crocks ?

Before I came home, I checked out the little stream in that hollow, the water was only 3 or 4 inches deep. I hit a target, giving me a reading of 34, 35, I think it hit 36 once? I scratched around with my hands and dug down 6 inches or so, get the water all muddy and pinpoint again. Wait 10 minutes for it to clear up. I just ran out of time, had to get to work, so it's still there. If I get a break tomorrow, I'll go back and find it. Whatever it is.

But I'd say that the site is old. Anyone have a guess as to why there would be so many harmonicas ?
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/27/21 02:04 PM

I ordered myself a Minelab Equinox 800 metal detector. Anyone out there have any experience with the machine ?

I've detected before and have a friend that's got an identical machine. Anything special that I should know? Just to help my learning curve?

My machine should be here tomorrow, and my buddy is to give me a few pointers too. But starting out with a new machine is almost like starting from scratch.

A friend has that detector and he loves it. Im saving for one now.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/27/21 02:30 PM

As for the harmonicas, I think there are Several reeds in a single harmonica. Sounds like you’re enjoying the new machine. The round ring sounds like something from horse tack

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 10:34 AM

cool what did you find in creek ?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 11:37 AM

Well, I had to work Saturday and Sunday, I haven't had a chance to go back yet. I should have a break later today, if I do I'll run back out there and scratch it out.

I've never really detected around water, honestly I just walked over to the water hole to rinse the cow crap off of my digger. I was digging with a grubbin hoe, that ground is really hard. I'm not going to hunt that pasture till we get some rain.

I've been thinking, if I do get a break from work today, I might just hunt right up the creek bed. But that reading of 35 has me curious. Wouldn't that be cool if it's an 1800's silver Dollar. That property has special meaning to me anyway. More than likely it's junk, but I'm going to find out.

I checked on harmonicas, looks like they do have 2 metal reeds. But the ones that I found weren't together, I mean 25 yards apart.

I did watch some of those videos, and found a good one from "Sod Busters". I'm a long way from having this machine figured out, but yes, so far I'm having fun.

Oh, wanted to say, the iron skeleton key that I found, it was in the same hole as the target that I dug. I just noticed the key first.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 01:07 PM

Don't forget to do a Google search for "Treasure Forums" . There's a lot of good info available . . . and beware of the jerk, AH, advice too! :-)

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 01:14 PM

Also, when you start finding Rev & Civil War buttons, get this book. It is the MOST AUTHORITIVE!

[Linked Image]

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 04:33 PM

Is the Equinox submersible?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 05:58 PM

Yes it is to 10’ or 3m.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/28/21 07:01 PM

But I'd say that the site is old. Anyone have a guess as to why there would be so many harmonicas ?

Probably a dumping area or a campsite earlier travelers dumped things at. I live near an area where traveling cavalry army's camped along the creek. They seem to throw their trash (junk) into the campfire or a nearby trash area. I'll find pieces of old stoneware, crocks, and glass(bottles). You can even see the old pieces charcoal laying in the dirt from where they use to burn their fires.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/29/21 11:27 AM

Well, the treasure in the creek turned out to be junk. Pretty much what I expected. As well as I could tell it was a chunk of a cast iron stove, about the size of a railroad tie plate.

I made a swipe down through the pasture again, and hit pay dirt. I found a 1969 Dime, the fired brass from a .243, 30-30 and 30-06, and another brass rifle shell base. And some kind of brass wheel handle, it's fairly new, like you'd have on a water valve. Junk.

But I'm catching on to this machine. My daughter was here last evening and helped me get the headphones paired up with the machine. I've been using it without the headphones, and they should make a difference.

I do like the way the pinpointer works. I've got a long way to go, but I'm learning.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/29/21 11:50 AM

staying tune ,keep us posted, good luck ,
Posted By: shorthair

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/29/21 12:03 PM

Question what is the norm for property owners when you find something of real value or old do they have rights to it?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/29/21 03:38 PM

In the initial meeting, # 1 Get permission, #2 Written permission if necessary, #3 Offer to split or show found items to property owner, #4 separate good from bad finds, (hide the good stuff if you feel the need to) #5 Keep your mouth shut grin

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/29/21 04:20 PM

I preferring detecting the the water with my Excalibur 800. I have found many rings, some of them class rings. I used to try to find the owners to return it to them. But, after a while I stopped doing that. Some people were happy to get the ring back. Others didn't seem to care if they did or not.

I had an interesting ring I found on a public beach in MN. The class ring was from a school in NY. It was dated 1958 and had the initials KY on it. I found the school on the internet and called there. The person on the line really wasn't interested in helping me find the owner of the ring. He said he was busy and I should just keep the ring. I asked him if he could check the graduating class of 1958 for someone with the initials KY? He said no, he didn't want to. I took his advice and kept the ring.

I did return some items to people I thought would appreciate it and was even offered a reward from some which I refused. Now, I just keep whatever I find unless someone asks me to look for a specific item they lost. Like the young lady who got my name from a friend. Seems she had been on a picnic with a couple friends at a local park. She had taken her 1 week old engagement ring off, set it on a picnic table and the next thing she knew it was gone. She thought it must have gotten knocked off the table. She showed me the table and where the ring was. I barely turned the detector on and in less than 5 seconds I had the ring. She was in tears. She asked me what she owed me? I said how about a hug? A hug from a 20 something year old for an old coot like me...made it all worthwhile! wink grin

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/30/21 12:36 PM

Well, I hit pay dirt again.

Here at work the other evening I asked a man for permission to detect on his property. I have permission to hunt and trap on his property, no problem there, but I wanted to make sure about detecting. Some people do, some people don't. You've gotta ask.

There's no reason to lose a friend over little stuff.

Anyway, when I asked the landower, he told me that he'd lost a set of keys. He told me between the culvert and the barn, within 20 feet of the road. I know the farm, I figured this would be a piece of cake. About 75 yards between the barn and the ditch. No problem. I can do about a 6 foot swath with the machine, and a key ring with 5 or 6 keys should blow my headphones off.

It got hot here yesterday, up in the high 90's. I started at the barn, figured about 3 passes, and I'd find them. Hit 2 targets, I knew that they wern't his keys, but good targets. Dug up a .243 brass, think it was giving me a reading of 22 or so ? Found the galvanized pipe and plate support thing for a cattle trailer, about 4 feet long. Treasure.

While I was making my first pass, the landowners son came along to feed his calves. I told him what I was doing, he gave me permission before his Dad did, so all is good there. Adam said: No, Dad was over there (pointing to a spot 25 yards away) when he lost his keys. lol The weeds and thistles are waist deep, in that area.

The tractor was sitting there with the brush-hog on it, I thought about it. I'll wait till Morris and Adam are both on the farm and they can give me a spot. I'll find his keys.

Over at the barn, I hit a signal, deed honest I could see sparks coming off of my grubbin hoe. Hard packed gravel/rock road, and found a Lincon Penny. It's trashed, I can't even make out the date. But that thing was deep.

I'm still learning.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 06/30/21 10:01 PM

Keep that honey hole secret. If you open your mouth, even to your friends, you will have nighthawkers in there screwing you out of finds.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 12:58 AM

Hmmm, I'll tell you, I don't have a honey hole, I've got hundreds.

With me out trapping and hunting and bear hunting with dogs and all, I know of places that don't even show up on Google Earth.

I could take you up in the mountains tonight and show you a tombstone, I'll bet there aren't 5 people still alive that knows where it is. I have pictures of it.

But, I've only had this new machine out on the ground 4 times so far. From my first dig until todays dig, you're looking at more than 20 miles apart. I've had to put her in 4-low two times and I'll need to get gas before I go out again.

Took an older friend out fishing today, kind of a high traffic area, he was fishing, I was detecting. We were back, a mile or so behind a locked gate. I knew there would be junk in the area, found 2 .22LR cases, 45 ACP brass, a Dime and a Canadian Penny, 1981. Kind of a parking spot, turn around area if you're going to unload a boat and all. Lots of targets that I didn't dig, just ran out of time, had to get back to work.

As soon as this machine works the bugs outta me, I'm going to make a couple of phone calls. I've got some places, and I'm 99% sure the landowners will give me the green light, that would just blow you away. I'm just playing with it now, but I want to know the machine before I ask for permission.

The one spot I'm thinking about now, it's a one room school house 50 miles from here, but I know the landowner. It's back about 2 miles behind a locked gate. Maybe he will, maybe he won't ?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 01:54 AM

School Houses and Churches are the best laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 03:23 AM

After way to many moons of detecting I'll just tell you this, if you're not digging some junk, you're leaving good stuff behind. I doubt there is very much ground around here that hasn't been hunted at some point or another and a lot of the older machines like the old fisher 1260s and cz's can get as good of depth most modern machines in mild soil but, coil development and detector recovery speed will open up spots. Especially if it's trashy.
Some do better in iron, some do better in aluminum spots. Like good rifles, there's always room for more than one detector in the arsenal.
Posted By: run

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 10:59 AM

Great thread, redsnow.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 04:45 PM

On the show, Curse of Oak Island, is that an Equinox Gary Draden uses?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/01/21 04:53 PM

Well, the machine has a full charge, and I'm gonna take it back out in a little bit.

Talking about digging up trash, I have, not a lot and I'm sure I've walked over junk. I think everyone here will agree, we'll never find everything. We've all went back to the same location, cause we know we didn't find everything.

One thing that I will say about junk, that one property that I hunted the other day, It's old. Very old. Old enough that the cut nails and other trash and little junk have rusted away.

Years ago a landowner told me about a little house here and another one over there. That one spot, the only thing showing is what looks to be a scab on the side of a tree, where there may have been a gate hinge. Who knows?

You know, I could run down to the town park today and maybe find a pocket full of change? It'd be all new coinage, junk like that doesn't interest me. I'm still learning about this machine, just watched another video about how it works.

But I know of a rock wall, found it out hunting one day years ago. Premission is a phone call away. I know of a rock foundation, to a small cabin. Those are the places that I like to dig. I can think of a couple dozen little springs and such. I'm sure I won't find much, but if I do it should be good.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/02/21 11:45 AM

good luck let us no what you find
Posted By: run

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/02/21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
good luck let us no what you find

X2.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/02/21 01:27 PM

When I'm out I'm one them people if it's easy digging dig everything.. I don't have a land machine gives me numbers. just my Excal so I dig the tones I like if hard digging,, Got the time to piddle I dig even in hard ground.
I save all the small odd pieces shell brass, any copper, any metal toss them in buckets.. Then when I go to scrap my aluminum cans take it along if bucket has enough to bother. Guys at scrap yard don't seem to mine weighing it up even if only a pound or so.

I'm enjoy following this post keeper going..

Mac

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/02/21 01:58 PM

I'm still learning. Looked like it was going to rain all day yesterday. I'm more or less keeping a running log of what's going on with this new machine.

Just trying to learn, I went to a high trash area yesterday, I mean big time trashy. Dug up 2 aluminum cans, 2 bottle caps and one of those bottle ring things.

I was hunting between a sidewalk and a chainlink fence. Trash everywhere. Nails, screws, junk everywhere.

I've had problems learning how the headphones work, I've only used them twice, and I'm sure it's me. I've been using the machine in different modes, just trying to learn.

I'm got a couple hours before I go to work, think I'm going to a little place we call "Wine Bottle Hollow". The first time I walked up that hollow, I came out of there with a bottle or 2 in each pocket and 2 or 3 in my arm. Old time pretty glass wine bottles. I've heard rumors that there was an old house in the area.

We shall see.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/04/21 01:38 PM

Well, I went out again Friday, only detected for a half hour or so.

Bumped into the landowner, talked to him for a while. He said that the old man that lived out there "didn't have 2 Dimes to rub together, He spent all his money on wine" I said: Well, if he was drinking all that wine, you know he had the squirts now and then, maybe a Penny rolled out while he had his pants down. lol

Another friend stopped by before I got started, talked to him for a while. Didn't have much time, but made a little circle, found one of those little snap/rivet things like some jeans have on the pockets, or maybe a shirt with those snap buttons? Looks like nickle plated brass? It sounded good. And a Potted Meat can lid.

One wine bottle, it was busted. We've pretty well cleaned up most of the glass bottles from that hollow. Those bottles have been there long enough that the metal lids have rusted away. The "Fairview wine company, of Maine".

From what I've been told there was a family that lived in the hollow until the 40's or so?

Had to work yesterday and again today, haven't messed with the machine. Think I'll let it rest a day or 2, maybe take it out again later this week. Let everything soak in, but I'm catching on.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/05/21 02:26 AM

Have you met the widows yet?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/05/21 02:43 PM

No, I think that they are all long gone. Honestly, I'm not sure if anyone alive had ever even seen the house? I mean the house with the wine bottles. 40 years ago there was just a little clearing, with some grass. It's been changed and all messed up since then.

I knew it was a long shot detecting up the hollow with the bottles, it's off 200 yards from where the house was located.

The 2 house sites where I've detected, they never had electric or running water. I'd guess the one place dates back into the 1800's.

The 2 places that I would like to detect, I'm positive that they go back into the 1800's. But can't go there because of the grass and weeds, being so tall.

As far as we can tell, the one little thing that I found was a piece of a pewter bell. And the little brass box thing I found may have been a match case.

But about all of the information I'm going on, is 2nd or 3rd hand info. Stuff that was passed down through the family for years and years.

I haven't touched the machine for a couple days, been working, but I've been thinking about it. Some of it has soaked in.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/06/21 01:33 AM

The 3 Merry Widows are never all gone. They will turn up. Just wait.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/07/21 11:58 PM

Boys, we hit pay dirt today!

I showed that $1,000 machine to a guy the other day, gave him a little demo with dropped coins, and he was impressed. Said he had a "hot spot", just up over the ridge from his house. Some kind of trench that was dug out, said 50 or 60 feet long, and fairly deep. His house is about 30 minutes from here. Figured we'd just go up and check it out. And split the loot 50/50. lol

I looked the place over, and it was just a slide. Where the side of the ridge had just broke loose and slid, 10 of so feet. There are 3 trees growing on the top of the slide, 14 or so inches at the stump. Oaks, 75 or so years old. Trees are straight, it happened long before our time. Kind of a half-moon shape.

Anyway, I told him what I thought it was before I'd even turned on the machine. There was some Civil War action in that area, but any troops trying to defend an area are going to dig in on the high ground. This slide was half way down the ridge, they'd be toast in a skirmish.

Anyway, I blazed a trail detecting, promptly hit a target, my buddy was digging. I'd pinpoint, he'd dig. Our first find was a brass shell base from an old 12 gauge paper shell. We tinkered around finding that thing 5 minutes or so? Ground is hard as a rock. I could tell when he moved it.

Fooled around and found 2 more shotgun shell bases, even a 16 ga. That's high Dollar stuff. After the 3rd dig/find he said he was done. Walking back to his house, hit another target. He dug up another 12 ga shell base. I figure all together I spent about $20 to find less than a Cent's worth of brass. lol

As my old long gone buddy Felix would say: You're gonna need a bigger truck!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/08/21 01:57 AM

Reason I never saw the usefulness of a relic machine or treasure machine. Of course if I lived were the land had been settled by Europeans for three hundred years or in the case of Europe the Celtic hoard caches for six or eight hundred years I would probably feel different. Keep on digging those targets though you might just hit a good one. Good luck.
The more I watch people dig out their tiny, .2 gram nuggets the more it reminds me of all the holes I dug to find a # 7.5 bird shot 6”deep. I did find a little gold though and a 3/4 oz.t. chunk would more than pay for the machine.
Have you watched BILL SOUTHERN demo the Equinox 800 on YouTube explains ground balance and threshold pretty well. Happy hunting.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/08/21 04:06 PM

Yes, I've watched a couple of his videos. They make it look easy. And that would suck to tinker around to find a 7.5 lead shot. And just figure, there are 3 or 400 pieces of shot in a 12 gauge load. If a guy would empty his gun, that'd be a day's worth of digging!

The other day I was digging, had what sounded like a good target, then it was gone. I'm not sure, but I think it stuck to my digger and I flung it over my shoulder. Not sure? But it wasn't in the dirt pile.

I should have a break later today, think I"ll take it out again. Dig up some more junk.

I've never detected on a beach, but that sounds like it'd be fun. Find one gold ring, that'd pay for the motel room. I'm still learning. We shall see.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/08/21 04:18 PM

Find a good one.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 07/20/21 07:45 PM

GM 1000. Going to ship tomorrow yeeeehaaa can’t wait!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/01/21 12:52 AM

Well, I've been watching videos. Only had a chance to take the new machine out twice since we last talked.

The machine is more complicated than it looks!

I've been in different spots every time. Everything that I've dug is a good target. Mostly junk, but still good targets.

I've found a couple fired rifle/pistol bullets, Not sure, either a small pistol, maybe a .30 carbine? Other than the rifling marks, those bullets are almost untouched. Who knows where they were shot from?

I hit a target the last time out, dug it up, pinpointed it, 2 or 3 times. Had it in my hand, 2 or 3 times, and it turned out to be a small piece of a copper rifle bullet jacket. Caked in dirt, it was hard to see.

But I'm catching on. The machine is a lot smarter than me!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/03/21 02:34 AM

Guys, I hit pay dirt today.

I had a little break from work today, went back out to where a man lost his keys. They mowed it off down to about 10 inches or so? I dropped my own keys, and checked it out, no problem finding them from 10". I think it's been 2 or 3 years since he lost his keys?

Anyway, I blazed a trail, in the area where I was asked to search. Promptly found a pull tab. Then I dug up a brass water spigot, out in the middle of now where. Then I hit the Mother Load. A 1999 Dime.

I was running out of time and had to get back to work. But I've got all of my treasure locked up here in the vault. lol
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/03/21 02:41 AM

Have you had any luck with civil war sites?

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/03/21 10:56 PM

Hmmm, that one place where I hunted years ago, we found some grape shot. Little iron balls, about the size of a golf ball. I've found fired bullets, which I assume would have been from the Civil war. About all of the good spots around here have been detected a thousand times, by guys that know what they're doing too.

I have some good spots lined up, and a few more that are only a phone call away. It just takes time.

One spot that I was really looking forward to detecting, I asked the landowner face to face, and she almost yelled NO. It's no big deal, but that was kind of a let down. I've got permission to detect the property, just beside of her land.

Just too many irons in the fire to go out and tinker around much. I should have a break from work in the morning, if I do, I'm going to check out a new spot. By the time I drive up there and all, I'll only have an hour or so to fool around, but that's the plan.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/04/21 05:44 AM

Hmmm, that one place where I hunted years ago, we found some grape shot. Little iron balls, about the size of a golf ball. I've found fired bullets, which I assume would have been from the Civil war. About all of the good spots around here have been detected a thousand times, by guys that know what they're doing too.

I have some good spots lined up, and a few more that are only a phone call away. It just takes time.

One spot that I was really looking forward to detecting, I asked the landowner face to face, and she almost yelled NO. It's no big deal, but that was kind of a let down. I've got permission to detect the property, just beside of her land.

Just too many irons in the fire to go out and tinker around much. I should have a break from work in the morning, if I do, I'm going to check out a new spot. By the time I drive up there and all, I'll only have an hour or so to fool around, but that's the plan.

No matter how good someone is, they are never going to hit 100%. There is always something left behind. If the good guys have hit it hard, that means that there was something worth finding there. That means it is worth checking out again for yourself. No spot is ever totally hunted out.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/04/21 08:55 AM

Really good read at 4:30 a.m. when im bored. Please update us and happy happy hunting!!!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/05/21 02:02 AM

I agree, we'll never find 100%. Just that the easy pickin's have been picked.

There was a guy here, years ago, I knew him, they said he went into a place and came out with his pockets full of silver coins. Indian Head Penny's and Wheat Penny's. I know where he was detecting, but I don't think it's legal to be there.

Guys, I hit pay dirt today. I've got it right here beside me or in my pocket.

My first good find was an alluminum pop cap, one of those big ones like they had on glass bottles. Tinkered on around and found a Lincoln Penny. Found the zipper handle thing to a zipper. A .22 long rifle brass, I think a 9mm brass. Some kind of other little chunk of brass, not sure what it is? But I'll tell you, it's a good one!

Found an antique pull tab, only used once.

The ground here is really dry and hard. My toughest find today, was down 7 or 8 inches. It sounded good, one of those targets that you really can't walk away, without digging. I dug a crater.

It was an AC Delco spark plug! I messed around digging that hole forever.

But I did find a 1956 Wheat Penny.

I don't know this machine yet (maybe never will?), but it's working. Just takes time.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/05/21 02:24 AM

I found a little change today. One target turned out to be 3 quarters stacked on top of each other. I also found a ring with about 50 diamonds on it. The ring looks to be brass but rung up like gold. I have not looked at it good yet. I suspect that it is bling.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/05/21 02:33 AM

Never ever give up on a spot , i have one farm that i have found several three ringers ,ring tail sharps and sixty nine cal.round balls in and its been pounded to death. i hunt my dads farm at a 1910 school house site and find coins there for the last six years ,just keep swinging its there.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/05/21 02:08 PM

Well, I've got the big machine on charge.

I'd get bored hunting the same spots time after time. Unless I was finding some really good stuff.

Just thinking about it, if I'd hunt all of the spots that I know, just 2 times, I'll never get to all of them in my lifetime. I work a lot of hours.

Big Donnie and I are going fishing today. It's too hot to shoot groundhogs, ground is too hard to detect. I'll take my mask and fins and check for good junk in the river.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/19/21 02:20 PM

I'm going to update my recent digs. I've had the machine out 4 times since my last comment, usually about 2 hours each or so?

Haven't found anything really special. Yesterday I found a few rifle bullets, modern bullets I mean. I did find an old single-bit ax head. I haven't really looked at it yet, it's all pitted up and all, but I'd guess it was hand forged. Maybe not? It's old.

I should have a break today, I have permission to check out a new place. The landowner said that there are cut stone, I guess for a house foundation? Slim odds of finding anything good, but if I would find anything it should be old.

I'm not finding many good solid targets, but most everything that I"ve dug needs to be dug up.

Not sure what you guys think?, but a .22 bullet is a target that needs to be dug in my opinion. I'm still learning.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/19/21 03:19 PM

On my GM1000 a .22 rimfire bullet says the same as gold. So yeah you got to diggem.
I read on the nugget shooter forum a few guys were having trouble with the NOX control box getting wet inside if they submerged it. FWIW.
So far all I have found is a bunch, several dozen bullets/brass, a bunch of late 19th early 20th century’s junk,cans bottle tops a button. And! A few chunks of multi metal ore, some really pretty colors inside the rocks from bright rose red to deep emerald green makes the beeper scream.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/21/21 03:44 PM

Well, that'd be pretty neat to find a hot rock.

I took the new machine out the other evening, I guess all together I was out for 4 hours or a little better. That's long enough for me. I was using the headphones, my daughter made me a "cheat sheet" how to get them paired with the machine. I'll post it later, it's only 4 or 5 lines. That 30 second wait is what messed me up.

I'll tell you I was hunting an old house site, not sure when it fell down and rotted up? But there isn't a trace of it left now. The house was in a small hollow, it's only 50 yards wide, so it was right there someplace. But the weeds and briers are so thick that you just can't get to the ground. Can't even fight your way through the raspberry vines.

I made 2 loops near the place, typical junk. Rifle, shotgun brass, bullets, beer and vienna sausage cans.

Found some kind of what I'd guess is a brass knob for a dresser or nightstand, pretty design, junk. Found one of those old zinc jar lids, with the white glass inards, about half the jar was still attached. Years ago, someone dropped a jar of peaches or more likely a quart of moonshine. Your guess is as good as mine.

Went on out and hit a good target, dug it up, caked with dirt, scrubbed it off the best I could, and spit on it, and scrubbed some more, it was a buffalo Nickle. I could see the buffalo, but couldn't make out the date. I thought Woo-Hoo. I'd hit pay dirt again.

Brought it home and the date on the Nickle is 2005. That was kind of a bummer, but I'll take it.

Like we talked above, one guy on 100 acres for 5 hours, I only detected just a drop in the bucket. I'll go back. Found one spot where there are 3 rock piles, just like field stones, so at one point in time something went on in that area. I was getting signals, sounded like iron junk, but when I get a chance I'll get up there again.

But I'm getting more comfortable with the machine, it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/26/21 01:00 AM

Well, I hit pay dirt again. (minus gas money and all).

I had a break from work last evening, checked out a different spot around the old homestead that I mentioned above. Didn't find much. One thing that I thought was interesting, and my best find was a brass key hole thingy. It's a little bit bigger than a postage stamp, I'd love to find the brass key that worked that lock. That'd be cool.

Dug up 4 or 5 zinc jar lids, a couple in good shape too.

Went back out this morning and found a little brass something, looks like it was made to be crimped onto leather, like a belt or watch band. Pretty design. Not sure?

The property where I was hunting is back more than a mile from a public road, when I struck pay dirt, it was kind of at a "wide spot". And right there it was. A Lincoln Penny. So, didn't make much on that trip.

Found a couple bullets, and some other junk, that's about it.

Another man gave me permission to detect his farm, not sure but it was 20 years ago when he bought the place or so? He had an old house knocked down and buried. Just talked to him today again, he drew me a little map, so you know there are kinds of treasure around that place. I might go check it out tomorrow?

I've talked to some of the local detectors, you never know where the kids were feeding the dog or the chickens or checking on the cows. Who knows where folks dropped coins or other good stuff.

Not sure what you guys think, but I'm content to be out 100 or 150 yards from a known site and see what is there. But I'm having fun. The dog is too.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/26/21 02:42 AM

On those old homesites, try to figure out where the clothesline was.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/26/21 04:37 AM

Redsnow keep on swinging. Something good will turn up. I’ve been trying to get a house ready for sale so kind of grounded for awhile.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/29/21 12:58 AM

Oh, I'll keep on swinging. I'm still learning. Or the machine is learning me?

I'll tell you a little bit about the one property where I've been detecting, there's never been any electric service in that area. I've been on that property 3 times so far, not in the same spot. I'll tell you that the greenbriers and raspberry vines are just so thick that you can't fight your way through.

Really, if a feller would want to hunt the place hard, you'd almost need to get up in there with a tractor and brush hog, or a dozer. It's just a tangled up mess.

I know where the house was located, pretty sure it never burnt down, it just fell and rotted up. A log house, so it's old. No trace of the house left, other than the chimney stones. Not sure when they stopped using those zinc jar lids? I'd guess they date back to the 40's or before?

Messed around another place yesterday, the landowner said that folks lived in that house till up in the 70's, so all that junk would be new. He's done so much dirt work, landscaping, just looking at the lay of the land, the high side of the house foundation is under 3 or 4 feet of fill dirt.

Found a couple pieces of junk, new junk. Did find one little brass key, I'd guess it went to some kind of dozer or tractor?

Hit one target, it was giving me a good, solid 8 or 9 on the machine. Pain in the butt finding the thing, it was the primer base/end on what I'd guess was a CCI Stinger .22 brass. Those nickel looking brass cases. It sounded good, but junk.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 08/29/21 12:05 PM

keep at it you will fine the mother load yet , smile

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/02/21 05:32 AM

Whoo. Hooo big strike on Douglas creek at the edge of the Platt River Wilderness
Was swinging the monster and it started screaming, some fly fisherperson left their hemostats on the bank of a nice run and subsequent high water had buried them about six inches. Surgical stainless so no rust one of these days it’s gonna be a 30 gram nugget and WhooHoo for sure.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/02/21 02:23 PM

Good deal. One of these days you're going to find a use for those forceps. I've been swimming in the local rivers this summer, with my mask and fins, haven't really found much this season. Mostly junk. Over the years I've found some good junk swimming.

Talking about staying at it and all. My buddy Jason, he's a little bit older than me, and he's been detecting for about 40 years. We've tected toghether a few times, he's running a Fisher 1266X. It's been within the last year or so he finally found a gold coin. It was a $5 gold piece. I've seen pics, but that has been his best find.

Jay and I've talked about it before, we've probably walked over gold. Never know?

Above where I was telling you about the old homestead where I hunted the other day. Jay has hunted there before, I thought it was virgin territory. I told him about the brass key that I found, not sure but it was down, 4, 5, maybe 6 inches? I mean it was junk, but we'll never find everything. I gave the key to the landowner.

But Jay and I were talking, another guy did find an 1800's silver half dollar the other day. That would be worthy of a Whoo.Hooo.

As a rule when I hit a target, I expect to dig up junk, usually it's junk. Now and then I'm wrong. I guess that's what keeps all of us digging.

The big machine is fully charged, headphones too, and I'm going to a new spot today. We've had some rain, junk should sound good, so we'll see what happens.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/02/21 03:28 PM

I have a Minelab Excalibur. I have found some pretty cool stuff with it. But, I'd really like to move up to the Equinox.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/04/21 11:27 AM

Well, this Equinox is a good machine, no doubt about that. So far we're getting along nicely.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly can't say that I've found anything with this new machine that I wouldn't have found with my Fisher 1266x or my White's machine. They are or were both good machines too. I mentioned this above, I just didn't want to spend $200 on an old machine to get it fixed. Almost like trying to keep an old car patched up.

I've had this new machine out 2 more times, can't say that I've hit the mother lode yet, but I've been digging.

I'll add more later, gotta get to work. 13 for me today.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/05/21 01:39 PM

I was out the other evening, talked to the landowner and he showed me that "cut stone" that I mentioned above. The old ax head that I found was about 50 yards away. I blazed a trail up around the ridge, dodging the briers and all, I was out maybe 3 hours? I had a pocket full of junk. Typical junk. Did find a live round of rifle ammo, it was all smashed up, like a .243 or something? I can't make out that small print anymore. A thermostat for some kind of old truck, I'd guess.

You ever find junk like that and just look around and think: How in the world did it get here?

I did find 2 new Pennies. Junk.

The next time I went out I went to a new spot, I know that it's been tected some, but it hasn't been pounded. I don't think so anyway. It's an old site, back to 1900 give or take. Seems like just about every place you go, there has been some kind of new dirt work. I mean within the last 40 or 50 years.

Anyway, I searched across that new cut, there was nothing there, I figured that. Once I got up in the undisturbed dirt, it was a high trash area. Getting a lot of those dud/dull sounds.

I've been running this machine in "park 1" mode, factory preset. Where you push and hold the "on" button. Still having trouble with my headphones pairing up with the machine, I'm sure it's me. I turned the thing on and off 3 or 4 times before I could get them paired.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you about this one target that I hit. I hit that target from 3 sides, it was giving me a solid 35, 38 and 39 on the meter. I find myself looking at the meter a lot more with this machine.

Someone above said that 35 is either silver or deep iron. Thr ground is too rocky to be deep iron. Imagine what's going through my head. 2 Silver Dollars? Silver coin and a gold piece? Half dollar and a Large Cent?

I checked it again, it was right there, 35, 38, 39. Thinking to myself, there's gonna be some good junk in this hole. I dug it up, the first thing that I popped out, I really thought that it was a rock. But it's a big glob of almost lead. I forget the name of that metal that was used in old time printing presses? I'd say that's what it is. That glob of metal is about the size of the palm of your hand, and a little thicker than your hand. It weighs almost 3 pounds. It was poured into a bowl or something? If it's the stuff I'm thinking about it'll melt in a wood fire.

Anyway, I always check the hole, was still getting 35, I dug a little bit more and it was 2 silver dinner forks. By the looks of the forks, they were well used.

Here I am looking for Silver coins and digging up silverware. And now, I've gotta go back and try to find the other 6 forks, spoons and knives so I'll have a full set.

But I've got some good places to go, permission is just a phone call away, I'm really looking forward to detecting that one spot. I think it's untouched. That's gonna be fun.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/05/21 09:38 PM

I started with a Garret AT Pro last year. By September I had dug about 600lbs of junk. Got my Nox 800 this spring and I've dug about 100 lbs of junk. Found a lot of coins, new and old. Like the nox much better than the pro because I can focus on better targets. To be honest, it's taken some time to learn it. Go to you tube and look for coin shooter mode for the equinox 800 and set up a program for it. Ground balance you machine and use the coin shoot program and you'll never look at the AT Pro again. So much more you can do with the nox than the Garret machines. Get in mineralized ground or near power lines with the Garret and you'll never hear a target through all the chatter. It will make you want to walk away. Not with the nox. Click on the coin shooter program and all the noise goes away. You will find what the Garret users had to walk away from.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 09/08/21 01:33 PM

A local guy is running an AT Pro, he's been finding some junk, nothing special that I know of. He's young, and it's probably his first machine? We're to get together when we get a chance and find everything. Easier said than done.

I went out last evening for maybe 2 hours, the place has been hammered, found 2, .22 bullets and a couple shotgun bases. And a big fish sinker, it was laying on top. Same place where the young guy has been tecting. He's not been covering his holes, I'll talk to him about that.

I've watched a couple of those "coin shooter" videos. I'm not that far advanced yet, I'm still learning about this machine. But I'm gaining confidence.

The other day I called the landowner, that I mentioned above, he's to lay out the key to the property that I'm itching to detect. The landowner said that unless his Granddad let someone detect there years ago, there had only been 3 people on the property. He said that they never asked to go back.

I've only been on the property 3 or 4 times, that was just while bear hunting. The thing that interests me the most is a rock wall. It's been 20 years since I've been there, but as well as I remember the wall is 40 or so feet long. Kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Something went on there at one time.

So, that's the plan for tomorrow. It's a long haul over there, need to gas up the truck and get the chainsaw ready. I'm sure there are trees across the trail. We shall see what happens.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 10/08/21 02:51 AM

Well I pulled a couple of nuggets out today about a 1/2 gram between the two. Maybe $ 30 paid for the gas anyway depending on where gold is at spot.
How did the rock wall treat ya? Oh yeah got a 1992 clad quarter lol we’re in the money now!!!

Re: Metal Detectors. - 10/08/21 04:39 PM

Detect both sides of the wall, the ends, and the sides of the wall itself. That may sound funny, but many times those walls were used to hide stuff in the recesses.

Re: Metal Detectors. - 10/09/21 12:53 AM

Well, sorry for the delay. I've been back to the property 2 times since. I did find a Lincoln Penny, forget the date, nothing special.

I know the property a little better now, found the spring, also found a hand-dug well. Just the grass and weeds are so tall, you just cant get to the ground.

Did find a bunch of rifle brass and modern bullets. Just junk.

Guys were up there bear hunting the last time, I like to bear hunt too. So tinkered around with them for a couple hours.

I left early in the morning trying to get an early start, and it was still afternoon before I got to the property. Just a long drive.

Not sure how to post pics here, but I will over on the other forum.

Had a good day yesterday.

Friend and I were tecting, found 2 Dimes and 3 Pennies. And junk.

Fairly nice ax head.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums