Home

Reloaders

Posted By: MnJag

Reloaders - 06/22/21 01:13 AM

I have reloaded a few thousand straight wall pistol rounds. Now I'm thinking of getting some die for my 30- 30 Marlin 336. My question is do you guys seat and crimp at the same time or do it in 2 steps? All the rounds I have loaded I did it at the same time on a single stage press. I did buy a Dillon 550 but haven't got it set up yet. But not sure if I need to use the progressive for the 30-30. As I don't go through to many rounds. Mostly just shoot a few rounds to make sure it's on for deer season. And of course to shoot deer with.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 01:28 AM

RCBS dies will crimp and seat the bullet at the same time. Case length is pretty critical. They must all be the same for it to work properly. H335 is a good 30-30 powder if you dont want to weigh every charge.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 01:57 AM

What Danny said about the seat/crimp. Trim length must be the same for crimp to be uniform.
No comment about powder as haven’t loaded for thirty-thirty.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 02:00 AM

Hmmmmm. Going to have to make sure all my cases are the same length. Thanks guys
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 02:18 AM

I load the 30-30 on a turret press and crimp with separately. I use Leverevolution powder with Sierra classic hunter bullets. The round nose version of them with good results.
Posted By: Jags

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 02:26 AM

I seat and crimp separately.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 03:34 AM

I never needed to worry about a crimp on rifle rounds. Not even when I loaded my 1100 yard target round. Only ever crimp on hand guns. Maybe I did also on my Ar rounds but been to long since I set those dies or or loaded any? Got on a kick years ago and loaded so many I haven needed to load any more in the last ten years and am probably good for the next 10 as well.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 04:14 AM

I have Lee dies. I do it in 2 steps. Case length isn’t quite as critical as the single step.

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies so far guys. So what is everyone using to trim there brass. I was thinking of trying the Lee trimmer where you lock the shells in a drill. Any opinions good bad or otherwise?

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 10:58 AM

I never tried a lee tool. Mine is rcbs. One problem I did have when I first tried reloading 30-30 was too much lube on my cases. I got dents in the case shoulder. It seems they are more prone to this for some reason.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 11:57 AM

I use a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer. There are several others on the market of similar design. You will need a good caliper. You should really be using a caliper and trimmer for your straight wall pistol cartridges too especially the higher power cartridges like .357 & .44 mag. Otherwise case stretching can cause over crimping and increased pressure.

Like Prov Farm, I have never crimped the bullet in a bottleneck cartridge, but I don't have a rifle with a tubular mag that shoots bottleneck cartridges. I do crimp for my .444 Marlin.

RCBS, Hornady and many other die sets will seat and crimp in one step. The crimp is set based on how far you thread the die into the press and the seating depth is set by how far you thread the seating stem into the die. For seating with no crimp the die is backed off the case just a little and the seating stem adjusted to give the bullet depth you want. If you want to seat and crimp in separate steps, back the die out to seat, then remove the seating stem and thread the die in to give the desired crimp.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 12:43 PM

Lots of good advise here. For the record, bullets used in tubular magazines should be crimped to prevent the bullet from pushing into the case under spring pressure and recoil. Only other thing that I would add is that bullets specifically for the .30/30 have the crimp groove in the right place. Maybe more importantly, they are designed to expand at lower velocities. Not all .30 caliber bullets are created equally. I have used IMR 3031 in the past with good results.

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MnJag
Thanks for the replies so far guys. So what is everyone using to trim there brass. I was thinking of trying the Lee trimmer where you lock the shells in a drill. Any opinions good bad or otherwise?

The Leet rimmer is a great little tool. Its dead on and you can't crew it up due to its design. I have used it for some cartridges in the past. I use a Hornady case trimmer now as I load for bunch of different calibers and like the adjustability of it. But if you only load for a couple of calibers, the Lee tool works just fine and is to SAMI specs.
Posted By: James

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 04:59 PM

I seat and crimp separately, when I crimp at all. I do crimp for the Marlin M1895 and the buffalo gun, .416 Rem Mag.

Jim
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

The Leet rimmer is a great little tool. Its dead on and you can't crew it up due to its design. I have used it for some cartridges in the past. I use a Hornady case trimmer now as I load for bunch of different calibers and like the adjustability of it. But if you only load for a couple of calibers, the Lee tool works just fine and is to SAMI specs.

I did get one Lee trimmer for a .223 that trimmed then down a little to far. They still shot fine just looked a little funny. Won't have to trim them again for several firings.
I didn't notice tell after I did a few thousand.

Just something to keep in mind when you get a new one.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Reloaders - 06/22/21 06:44 PM

I trim with the lee quick trim die and my cordless driver

I load on the lee turret press , with that long neck on 30-30 I don't do a separate crimp operation there has always been plenty of neck tension it is not a hard recoiling cartridge , if I had the crimp die I might use it I bought my 30-30 dies used and it was just a 2 die set

H4895 is my go to powder because I have it for M1 30-06 , 308win , and 223 rem

it may not be the most ideal powder but it works well enough in all 4

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 03:56 AM

Thanks again for the replies. Lots of good info here. Think I will start out trying the seat and crimp separate. And get the Lee trimmer. Anyone care to share a couple recipes.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 05:04 AM

Once you get into the reloading and chasing the best recipe you will find no 2 guns will perform identical. If pay attention you can find a big difference in how 22 rifles and pistols will do better with multiple brands.

reload tables Here is a site that will give you some guides. It never hurts to reference more then 1 source. Start low and work your way up slowly.
Posted By: John C

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 10:37 AM

I've done all of my straight wall rounds using RCBS seat and crimp with the same stroke but my bottleneck rounds I've taken to using Lee Factory Crimp Dies. They work great, I get more consistent results down range and its easy. Also length of brass isn't as critical.

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 01:14 PM

I would not go to crazy about being dead nuts on with your brass prep etc. Remember that a tube fed lever action rifle is not a bench rest rig less so when you shoot open sights like I do. Minute of venison is good enough. The 30-30 has to be one of the easiest and most forgiving cartridges to load. There is a whole bunch of powders that work well with it.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 02:53 PM

Yup^^^^^
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Reloaders - 06/23/21 04:41 PM

I like to seat my bullets first and find the right depth, then use a crimping die to finish up. I have tried using dies that seat and crimp at the same time, usually have one or two not set up right and would need to pull the rounds and start over with them.

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 08:40 PM

Anyone have a source for brass?

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 09:22 PM

There is once fired brass for sale online. Usually its from multiple manufactures in the same lot. If your not trying to push every pound of pressure you can get it shouldnt matter for most hunting applications.

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 09:54 PM

What website are you seeing 30-30 in stock? I've been checking for a couple weeks without luck.what should a guy pay for once fired vs new?

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 10:13 PM

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winchester-unprimed-rifle-brass-casings these are new cases

http://centerfirebrass.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=98 these are once fired
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 10:16 PM

Here is a source with a quick google search. 30-30 brass I have never dealt with them. Check for reviews if worried.

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 10:23 PM

cabelas wants virtually a buck each for new but at least they have some. this ammo thing is getting old.

pete, i have bought from them. they used to sell once fired by brand instead of mixed. when you check though they out of thirty thirty

Re: Reloaders - 07/18/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Here is a source with a quick google search. 30-30 brass I have never dealt with them. Check for reviews if worried.

Well thanks for the replys guys. I tried to order from both places. Once u put them in your cart they are unavailable. I can't see paying cabelas that much. Will just have to keep looking I guess.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Reloaders - 07/19/21 12:25 AM

PM me. I believe I have some and have no use for them anymore. Won't be able to check until I get back home next Sunday though.

Re: Reloaders - 07/19/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
PM me. I believe I have some and have no use for them anymore. Won't be able to check until I get back home next Sunday though.

Pm sent. Thanks again
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Reloaders - 07/19/21 12:57 AM

Anyone have a source for brass?

https://mojoprecision.com/shop-now/ols/categories/rifle-once-fired-brass
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Reloaders - 07/19/21 09:43 PM

Same time, my RCBS dies are built that way, don't forget the bullet must have a cannelure for the crimp to go into, or the bullet will creep under recoil.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Reloaders - 07/20/21 12:33 AM

Never loaded 30-30 but my Sierra manual confirms a lot of the same info already stated...

Case length is critical... And Sierra recommends crimping as a separate step.

Mike
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Reloaders - 07/20/21 01:34 AM

I seat and crimp seperately for the 30-30 because I have Lee dies and the die set came with the factory crimp die. Supposedly you can crimp noncannelured bullets with the factory crimp die. I haven't tried it in a tube fed rifle, but I do really like the factory crimp dies, have them for several pistol and rifle rounds. I seat and crimp in one step for the 45/70 though because I don't have the factory crimp die for it, and have never had a problem. You do have to make sure all your brass is trimmed evenly if you are doing it in one step, however. And Hornady brass for the 45/70 and several other lever action cartridges is shorter than SAAMI spec in order seat their longer than standard rubber tipped bullets. Means that if you have non-Hornady dies you can't crimp with the seating die. At least I can't adjust my Lee or RCBS dies down far enough to do so. I don't care to load Hornady brass for a lever action for that reason, because I don't have Hornady dies.

I use the Lee trimmers that goes in a drill to trim all my brass and it works great, pretty much impossible to screw up unless you break it, because there are no adjustments.

I'll recommend pretty much all the Lee reloading equipment I've used except the Load-All progressive press, particularly to the hobby or new reloader. Price is right and everything except the progressive press is very user friendly. I love their dies, and they were the first to come out with a really userfriendly and pocketbookfriendly priming tool (RCBS and others have since copied it).
© 2024 Trapperman Forums