[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
the season, post your best times here lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 01:57 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:20 AM

Looks like you could use some rain maybe.
Posted By: garart

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:23 AM

I was going to say where is the hay? How many tons per acre are you mowing?

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:29 AM

Oh that first shot was some weak oats we were in a bad drought a month ago but we got good rain since

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:31 AM

1st cutting stuff was between 1 1/2 - 4 bales per acre 4x5s should get into better stuff soon
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:43 AM

This is the worst thing we’ve had this year. One of our workers mangled the Tedder. 3 of the 6 bolts holding the rotor sheared. Rotor fell off and cracked. 11 tines broke, 18 of 24 arms were bent. I asked how long it was rattling before she noticed it was broke. She said a little while, I looked back but didn’t see anything wrong. She doesn’t help with hay anymore…. I did get everything straightened back out and back together. Works like a new one
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:49 AM

I love hay season
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: garart

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 02:50 AM

" She doesn't help with hay anymore" I'd say she owes you some money!

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:02 AM

How do you like that accumulator trapperbless
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by garart

Lol. Lotta fuel to build a bale there.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by trapperbless
I love hay season
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's pretty stuff.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:44 AM

Not my first thought when I read the title. More along I thought this was a kid friendly sight?
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 11:14 AM

Not the same good times in a hayfield that I remember. I can't post them on here.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 11:46 AM

Like a Garth Brooks song, the summer.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JOCO1995
How do you like that accumulator trapperbless

It works great! Sure beats loading and unloading by hand. There’s a little learning curve to stacking properly on the wagon so the stacks don’t fall. A guy can easily bale and stack over 1000 bales a day by himself if you’ve got the wagons to load them
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 12:21 PM

Just reading this thread makes me itch. Hated hayin growing up. Back then it was throwing and stacking bales. Then up to the loft to do it again. Hot itchy suffocating work.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Just reading this thread makes me itch. Hated hayin growing up. Back then it was throwing and stacking bales. Then up to the loft to do it again. Hot itchy suffocating work.

come on out -- that is still how we do it. Except no loft -- we start on the floor and work up to the eaves (16'). You can relive your childhood and I won't even charge you for the privelege . Btw -- we have a warm -up batch ready tomorrow (7 acres) only supposed to be 95 tomorrow -- 100 the next day.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by garart

How many acres per ton ,wow are you dried out ?
>
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by H2ORat
Originally Posted by Turtledale

come on out -- that is still how we do it. Except no loft -- we start on the floor and work up to the eaves (16'). You can relive your childhood and I won't even charge you for the privelege . Btw -- we have a warm -up batch ready tomorrow (7 acres) only supposed to be 95 tomorrow -- 100 the next day.

Laughed so hard my eyes were watering, thanks for the invite but will have to pass lol
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 03:56 PM

This was my field, prior to baling........made 130 bales to the acre.

[Linked Image]

This was neighbors.......made about half of what mine did........

[Linked Image]

Gets hauled to the barn with one of these.......and aside from me driving and unloading, of my normal 2 man crew......one is a girl. Just don't get in her way and nobody gets hurt!

Posted By: GRP

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 08:07 PM

[Linked Image]
Silage wrapped bales. Haulin em home now.
Posted By: jtg

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 08:20 PM

I am going to have some very nice hay equipment for sale as soon as we can find a place to move. Two -JohnDeere square balers one hardly used both attached to Steffen system . https://steffensystems.com
https://www.deere.com/en/hay-forage/baling/348-square-baler/
Three grapples. https://steffensystems.com/ed-small-bale-handlers.php
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 09:46 PM

Never had a good time in a hay field..... Only the hay loft
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 09:49 PM

We I live now forage harvesting has really changed. We have very few sources of small dry square hay producers anymore. It is also not easy to make good dry hay close to the lake with the east winds common during the afternoons during the summers. The large dairies use huge equipment. Most new choppers are 600-800 horse machines that have 9-11 foot hay heads and Kemper style heads that cut corn with heads that can take 12 rows at a time. Tonnage per hour is huge. The hay is cut with tri-section hay machines that mow and crimp 27 foot per trip. Most merge 54 foot windrows for 1st cutting and 72 foot for later cuttings and chop into long tractor pulled forage boxes or semis at about 7-9 miles per hour. This is why small fields and fields that have very odd shapes and are small are not economical for large farmers to rent or own. Can't be using 7-10 acre odd shaped fields with 3 million dollar equipment and do that 4-5 times per year. We get our small squares for our sheep from farmers that have these small and odd shaped stony fields.

Bryce
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River

My wife told me just last week only city girls think the hay is a fun idea. That's due to their inexperience and not knowing how uncomfortable hay gets.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

My wife told me just last week only city girls think the hay is a fun idea. That's due to their inexperience and not knowing how uncomfortable hay gets.

Country girls get round up more and dont mind the scratches
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/24/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Pretty sure this can be proven incorrect. grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by HayDay
This was my field, prior to baling........made 130 bales to the acre.

[Linked Image]

This was neighbors.......made about half of what mine did........

[Linked Image]

Gets hauled to the barn with one of these.......and aside from me driving and unloading, of my normal 2 man crew......one is a girl. Just don't get in her way and nobody gets hurt!

Interesting contraption. Have always just hooked the hay rack to the bailer and loaded them as they come off the bailer.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 01:16 AM

Cool stuff guys, got some on the ground now that's about ready to bale and calling for rain tomorrow afternoon if I can get some rolled i will take a pic.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 09:52 AM

Hope you can beat the rain. Good luck!
Posted By: scrapper

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 10:58 AM

That bale wagon is neat. Never seen nothing like that around here.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 02:30 PM

The bale wagon / hay monsters showed up late 60's, early 70's. There were about 3 commercial versions......all made around Wichita. Deweze was considered the best of them, and mine is also a Deweze. Concept is not widely know, as they didn't last long. About 5 to 10 years after they showed up, Vermeer came out with the upsized version of the Allis Chalmers rotobaler......and farmers started making big round bales that didn't have to be stored inside or hauled same day they were baled. Small square bales and hay monsters went obsolete overnight.

Most hay monsterts were made to haul 150 to 200 bales, depending on how high you wanted to stack. Experienced 3 man crew could do 1,500 bales a day. 4 guys taking turns stacking could do 2,000. Normal seasonal load for the best of them was 50,000 to 100,000 bales each.

Talked to a guy about a month back and he made one from a school bus. His had an interesting twist.......he built it so the bed would tilt up like a New Holland stackliner. It only hauled 100 bales, but you didn't have to unload them. Only back it into place, tilt the bed up and drive out from under the stack. Only requirement was a pole barn with eaves high enough bed would tilt up. Otherwise, it also had the elevator extension on the snout and would shoot them up into a loft.

We were stacking in a loft last week......about 95F and when I went outside, it was like walking into AC.

Hauling hay.......it's not for everybody.

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 02:31 PM

BTW, kid I bought my monster from said he quit hauling hay because he was too old for it. How old are you? 22

I'm old enough to be on Medicare.........and I still do it......but not 2,000 bales a day.
Posted By: run

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 04:04 PM

No rain until next Friday for me. Only 40% chance @ that. Be safe, everyone .

Re: Good times in the hay field - 06/25/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
The bale wagon / hay monsters showed up late 60's, early 70's. There were about 3 commercial versions......all made around Wichita. Deweze was considered the best of them, and mine is also a Deweze. Concept is not widely know, as they didn't last long. About 5 to 10 years after they showed up, Vermeer came out with the upsized version of the Allis Chalmers rotobaler......and farmers started making big round bales that didn't have to be stored inside or hauled same day they were baled. Small square bales and hay monsters went obsolete overnight.

Most hay monsterts were made to haul 150 to 200 bales, depending on how high you wanted to stack. Experienced 3 man crew could do 1,500 bales a day. 4 guys taking turns stacking could do 2,000. Normal seasonal load for the best of them was 50,000 to 100,000 bales each.

Talked to a guy about a month back and he made one from a school bus. His had an interesting twist.......he built it so the bed would tilt up like a New Holland stackliner. It only hauled 100 bales, but you didn't have to unload them. Only back it into place, tilt the bed up and drive out from under the stack. Only requirement was a pole barn with eaves high enough bed would tilt up. Otherwise, it also had the elevator extension on the snout and would shoot them up into a loft.

We were stacking in a loft last week......about 95F and when I went outside, it was like walking into AC.

Hauling hay.......it's not for everybody.

Interesting stuff! 'd never seen or heard of one of these. Thanks for posting this.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums