Home

Something Down My Woodstove Chimney-Update!!!!!!

Posted By: Moosetrot

Something Down My Woodstove Chimney-Update!!!!!! - 06/24/21 09:05 PM

Wife and I were just sitting here quietly and suddenly something came down our woodstove chimney, scratching and scrambling all the way down. Not sure if it is a bird, a bat, a squirrel, but may have also been a baby 'Squatch by all the racket it made. I any case I am not opening the stove door as it is located in the corner of our living room.

It's a Vermont Castings Intrepid and has glass panels in the doors. Looked through with a flashlight and could not see anything. It may be up on the damper.

The chimney extends about 4 ft. above my roof and is all double insulated stainless so nothing will chew through it. There is a cap on top but no screen.

Not sure what my next move will be.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Not sure what my next move will be.

Get the camera focused and your wife to open the door grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:11 PM

Light a fire.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:12 PM

160 on the top of the pipe.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:13 PM

My guess is a bird.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Light a fire.

wait for dark turn out all the lights , open it just far enough to stick in a roll of wax paper lit , close it and see what happens
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:18 PM

Set up your camera and open the door it will suck for you but it will be hoot for us. wink
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:18 PM

Starlings are usually the culprit at my house
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:25 PM

I get birds down the chimney for the furnace all the time , I hear them making a racket

I do the easiest thing , nothing, in 24 hours they almost never make any more noise.
Posted By: charles

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:28 PM

Maybe it is a chimney swift.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Starlings are usually the culprit at my house

Me too
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:33 PM

Twice for me. birds both times, squirrels can't climb the chimney pipe. A big fat A Pidgeon, and a blackbird I didn't find till fall when I wanted to build a fire.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 09:46 PM

When I went to my camp last year , this is what I found ...
When I unlocked the door and looked in , I thought someone had ransacked my camp ..
All the curtains where tore from the windows ..all the pantry items where on the floor ..
The blanket that was folded up on the couch , was all tore up and on the floor ...
The window sills where chewed off and just splinters left ...

And there in the middle of the floor was a big old grey squirrel, dead of coarse ...
I couldn't even get the satisfaction of killing him ..

He came down my SS metalbestose chimney, but I had left my Ben Franklin style wood stove doors open ..
I figure he was in there for about 2 weeks ..

I never thought one squirrel could do that much damage ..

I make sure my wood stove doors are closed and latched now ... :-)
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:03 PM

Wait until Christmas and put out some cookies and milk and open the door. lol

Bryce
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:04 PM

Been European starlings for us in the past.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:05 PM

I have had critters get in the chimney a couple times before........hen Wood Duck once, and a Chimney Swift. The Chimney Swift was a neat little bird. They are a common sight zooming and chattering around above buildings in most eastern towns, but a guy seldom has a chance to hold one in his hand. The duck croaked and all I found was feathers and bones. I have had Woodies check out the stack several times.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:13 PM

get the vacuum clear plugged in, and the butterfly net ready
one in each hand of your wife's
don't want you to spill your entertainment beer in the process you are holding.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:21 PM

I too have had a hen wood duck get in my woodstove. I got her out and released her unharmed. The darn starlings are not so lucky. But now, I put hardware cloth on the chimney when I quit firing the stove in the spring to keep the critters out. I bent a sheet of hardware cloth like a box and can put it on and take it off with fiberglass pole so no climbing required.

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:29 PM

I screwed 1/4 inch hardware cloth around the pipe cap at the cabins.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Set up your camera and open the door it will suck for you but it will be hoot for us. wink

LOL
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 10:48 PM

Every year we would have a duck decide to come down the chimney, slip past the damper and make it's way into the fire box. I always took a sheet, opened the doors and grabbed it. Opened the downstairs door and sent it on it's way.

After 6 ducks i put a cap on the chimney, problem solved.

I hope if you fling the doors open and grab it, it's a duck lol

WS
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 11:16 PM

You could always sell tickets to watch you open it up. It could turn out to be very entertaining.
Tom

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 11:35 PM

A little while after I made the original post we heard some commotion in there, now it's been quiet for a couple hours. Maybe whatever it is is plotting......

Moosetrot

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/24/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
You could always sell tickets to watch you open it up. It could turn out to be very entertaining.
Tom

Maybe as entertaining as when a bat was fluttering around our house about a week after I had my first hip replacement. With my wife shrieking in the background, I was clattering around the house in my underwear with a walker, carrying an antique trout net trying to nail the little bugger.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:04 AM

Maybe the cresote breaking loose and falling down? If I haven't brushed mine enough it sounds like a squirrel sliding down the chimney. My exposed pipe, I wait until no fire, whack it with the poker and listen to the cresote fall down. Then scoop it out.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Light a fire.

Only an idiot would burn an animal alive, knowing it can't climb back out.

It's either a bird or squirrel, neither is too difficult to remove.
For a site full of outdoorsmen, some of you make me SMH.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Tome out! This is a democracy! I vote for this!!!! Camera please!

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:18 AM

You ain’t got a hair on them kiwis, moose trot! Lol.

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:34 AM

I will deal with the monster in the morning!

Originally Posted by Scout1
Maybe the cresote breaking loose and falling down? If I haven't brushed mine enough it sounds like a squirrel sliding down the chimney. My exposed pipe, I wait until no fire, whack it with the poker and listen to the cresote fall down. Then scoop it out.

I know it is not creosote. I am kind of OCD about keeping my chimney clean.

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
You ain’t got a hair on them kiwis, moose trot! Lol.

I just don't want some soot-covered critter scrambling around, flying, or otherwise raising hades in my house. Besides...he might try to bite or peck me in the kiwis.

Moosetrot

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:51 AM

Lol! I’ll pitch in a dollar. Who’s in with me!? Lol. I wouldn’t do it either.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
Every year we would have a duck decide to come down the chimney, slip past the damper and make it's way into the fire box. I always took a sheet, opened the doors and grabbed it. Opened the downstairs door and sent it on it's way.

After 6 ducks i put a cap on the chimney, problem solved.

I hope if you fling the doors open and grab it, it's a duck lol

WS

I'ts probably not a legal method to take a duck, but it really seems like if a duck volunteers to that extent, it should be present in a prominent position at dinner.

Keith

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:31 PM

Well, all's well that ends well! The dang thing was scratching in the chimney as soon as the sun came up this morning. Wife not happy. Stoked myself up with plenty of coffee, closed all the bedroom doors, opened up the front door, and faced the beast. Put my trusty trout net over the stove door and the battle commenced.

It was claw and beak for a while and I was not sure how the whole situation would turn out. It took all I had to wrestle him out of the stove and into the net. The beast seemed to sense he had been vanquished by a mightier foe and gave up....until I released him in the front yard. It was the happiest, fastest flying Catbird
I have ever seen.

Given the skills, strength, courage, and prowess I displayed during battle, I am quite sure that children will sing songs about the great warrior around the campfires...or woodstove.

Moosetrot
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:42 PM

LOL
Posted By: Greymule

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 03:52 PM

I'm glad things turned out well for you.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:02 PM

It is never a good idea or a humane act to light a fire in a chimney or fireplace to see what happens. I am surprised there are folks on here that really consider such things. Animals and birds make mistakes. Their curiosity of that dark hole gets the better of them more then some of us know. I hope some will use better judgement and reconsider in the future as has already been stated.

I have had many customers over the years kill a family of raccoons, squirrels, ducks and owls by doing such things. Consumers I would expect such behavior but not from seasoned outdoorsman.
Posted By: AKtrapper26

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:05 PM

Great followup and congrats on conquering the intruder! grin

A video of the Epic battle sure would have been fun to see...err...educational. grin
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:22 PM

That's awesome Moosetrot, thanks for the laugh!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by charles

Those are really neat birds. One year I had them in my chimney. I let them be, but the next year I put a screen cap on so they couldn't get in.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:41 PM

Pure warrior stuff right there Oden would be proud! wink
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 04:41 PM

Before sealing off my cap I used to get enough starlings coming down the pipe every spring that I never had to clean my pipe. They always did it for me. laugh
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 06:53 PM

Would be great fun to light a fire and catch it's feathers on fire only to have it fly around the house starting a real fire.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 07:06 PM

Fun?? Your idea of fun and mine are very differant.
Tom

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/25/21 08:00 PM

Wouldnt it be a real drag if we were all the same?(to quote a line from a Savoy Brown tune)
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 02:04 AM

Boco knows how to trigger people. You got their buttons Boco grin

P.S. To be deadly serious, no, I would not light a fire in the stove with the critter in it. In most cases...

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by charles

Those are really neat birds. One year I had them in my chimney. I let them be, but the next year I put a screen cap on so they couldn't get in.

Trapper7 you should have done a little research and found the Chimney swift is on the threaten list and you just took away a nesting structure.
As more brick furnaces chimneys are being replaced their nesting habitat has declined in the last 30 years
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 08:11 PM

We've had hundreds of bats twice in our camp stove in the spring. It has a 6" metalbestos stove pipe with a cap. I put 1/4" hardware cloth around the cap . No more bats since then.

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 10:28 PM

Well, all's well that ends well! The dang thing was scratching in the chimney as soon as the sun came up this morning. Wife not happy. Stoked myself up with plenty of coffee, closed all the bedroom doors, opened up the front door, and faced the beast. Put my trusty trout net over the stove door and the battle commenced.

It was claw and beak for a while and I was not sure how the whole situation would turn out. It took all I had to wrestle him out of the stove and into the net. The beast seemed to sense he had been vanquished by a mightier foe and gave up....until I released him in the front yard. It was the happiest, fastest flying Catbird
I have ever seen.

Given the skills, strength, courage, and prowess I displayed during battle, I am quite sure that children will sing songs about the great warrior around the campfires...or woodstove.

Moosetrot
Thats some Braveheart stuff right there. Should have yelled Freeeedommmmm!!!!

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

I have ever seen.

Moosetrot
Thats some Braveheart stuff right there. Should have yelled Freeeedommmmm!!!!

Next time I will paint 1/2 my face blue!

Moosetrot

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/26/21 11:51 PM

How could you tell it was a cat bird? Any bird coming out of a soot fireplace is going to be Grey or Gray in colour or color.

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/27/21 12:09 AM

We have a ton of Catbirds in our yard...it was a Catbird.

Moosetrot

Re: Something Just Came Down My Woodstove Chimney! - 06/27/21 03:40 AM

It had a cat in its beak!

Blue face. Lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums