Home

Clothes lines

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:17 PM

So anyone using clothes lines still? I grew up with them. My family, mom and dad, grandpap granny, aunts and uncles homes were all right next to each other. Laundry day was a big day, Maytag wringer washers with double tubs. and clothes lines a plenty. All the woman washed and gossiped, us kids hauled around baskets on our red wagons to the lines for hanging. Michigan has now approved the power companies idea to boost rates during the daytime. I wear a lot of bibs, they are a pain with twisted straps and make a lot of noise in our electric dryer. I have a little clothes line I hang them on. Now the wife and I plan on expanding the lines for other laundry. Just hunted down a spool of that green vinyl coated line, a tensioner, and am building a triple row line setup. Heck I didn't know the tensioner is what's on my trapping catch pole?! Still have Mom's 1965 Maytag wringer washer...but it's going to the off grid cabin. Drying clothes on a line? if we do it 30% of the time, should make a difference.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:22 PM

Yep still do. Why run a dryer when they dry almost as fast on the line. During this time the year.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:35 PM

Clothes lines are great unless you have mulberry trees. The birds will create some interesting 'art work' on your once clean laundry. eek

laugh Charlie
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:38 PM

If its above freezing there is usually laundry on ours.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:40 PM

Probably need to pull a permit to erect that line these days. Check with your HOA or code enforcement as well. wink
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:45 PM

Yep only use the dryer when is raining here.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:47 PM

They will dry below freezing if the sun is out.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 01:54 PM

I have a cloths line on pulleys running between my back deck and shop. It's mostly used to hang towels and swim suits after a dip in the pool and for hanging laundered bedding out. Nothing better than the smell of air-dried sheets.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 02:01 PM

Big clothes line on two pulleys on my back deck. Use all the time seasonally when doing laundry of heavy items jeans, towels and bed linens.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 02:09 PM

When I was a kid nobody I knew had a drier. They may be a luxury but like the washing machine we enjoy it. My clothes line gets used when I am dyeing/waxing traps in the fall. I hang pelts on it also while they wait their turn at the fleshing beam.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
They will dry below freezing if the sun is out.

X2

Originally Posted by Drifter
Yep only use the dryer when is raining here.

My mom had a back-up clothesline in basement for those days.

Clotheslines - The original green way to dry your laundry. Solar and wind power with no gubmit subsidies.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 02:45 PM

My wife has the cloths line full as we speak.Perfect day for it.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 02:56 PM

My wife uses a clothesline way more than a dryer, even in the winter. I use the clothesline to hang traps on when I am waxing them.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 04:22 PM

My wife and I have been together for 36 years. We had a dryer most of those, but I bet we only used it 4 or 5 times in all those years.

So easy to dry your clothes outside and your clothes smell great.

Pete
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 06:18 PM

Have not had a working dryer in years. We'll that's not exactly true there is a one in the barn but not hooked up. Used it for a beaver skinning table .

My wife just prefers to use the line. Only draw back is when we have several days of rain in a roll.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 06:43 PM

Got divorced 30 some years ago and bought a dryer. Two problems solved
Posted By: jk

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 06:49 PM

Yep use one here all the time. When it rains I get a free extra rinse. When it is cold I just have to wait longer to take them in. I do have a dryer and use it to wrinkle free my shirts.......jk
Posted By: jk

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 06:50 PM

Oh also I have to wipe it down with permethrin to keep the ants from useing it as a highway to my house......jk
Posted By: P Porcupine

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 07:54 PM

Just got in from hoeing in the garden, went on trapper talk to see what you were talking about. Just put some clothes on the line this morning. they should dry , 88 degrees here today. Hope everybody had a good Fourth of July
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Clothes lines - 07/04/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Probably need to pull a permit to erect that line these days. Check with your HOA or code enforcement as well. wink

I am my own HOA can't pick my neighbors, so I bought them out. No worries.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 03:33 AM

If you want to cut your power bill in half get a solar powered dryer. We have one, but i'm about the only one to use it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 03:47 AM

Nearly everybody has a clothesline here.
Even have one at the cabin. If I want to stay out for a while I can wash a few things in the tub and hang on the line.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 04:21 AM

I have the green plastic coated metal line, about 4 of them that are about 20 foot long. My wife grew up with clothes dryer's, I did not. She likes the dryer dried clothes, I like the line dried better. I am getting wimpier every year and quit line drying about the time our trapping season starts and usually don't start until I am planting our garden.

Bryce
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 04:30 AM

I have the green plastic coated metal line, about 4 of them that are about 20 foot long. My wife grew up with clothes dryer's, I did not. She likes the dryer dried clothes, I like the line dried better. I am getting wimpier every year and quit line drying about the time our trapping season starts and usually don't start until I am planting our garden.

Bryce
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 09:08 AM

You can buy the retractable ones at the big box stores that are pretty handy.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 10:11 AM

My mom used a clothes line all the time. When I first got married, we used one for the first few years until we bought a dryer.

I had a pair of jeans snap in half once on the clothes line. Pants froze and it was windy.
Posted By: mole

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 10:14 AM

We use them here. .
Posted By: run

Re: Clothes lines - 07/05/21 10:22 AM

Yes, we use a clothes line.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Clothes lines - 07/06/21 10:48 AM

I got a dryer a few years ago, but still have the clothes line outside. Took down the one inside by the stove when I got married. Wife doesn't use the clothes line as much as I used to, but still gets used whenever it is sunny out. Dries clothes nice, saves power, and helps keep the house cool by not running the dryer when it is hot outside.
Posted By: run

Re: Clothes lines - 07/06/21 11:06 AM

I see neighbors using clothes lines too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums