Home

C pap machine

Posted By: Brian Sprague

C pap machine - 07/04/21 11:42 PM

When you need expert medical advice where do you go ? T man of course lol. So im to go to a sleep Dr. because they did a sleep study on me and said I have mild sleep {apnea ?] .anyhow was wondering if any of you would care to share if those machines work or not . To be honest im alittle skeptical . My score was only 17 which according to a lady Dr. my wife works with that has it says 17 isnt bad. Im always dead dog tired but my afib also came back that is getting fixed. Thanks for any replies.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: C pap machine - 07/04/21 11:46 PM

I've been using one for 8 or so yrs. Best thing since sliced bread for me. Ymmv
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: C pap machine - 07/04/21 11:50 PM

My case was severe when I got my C Pap machine,best thing that's happen to me health wise so far.I now sleep like a baby.My wife would kick me at night when Id stop breathing,it was happening more and more.I should have had it done a lot sooner.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: C pap machine - 07/04/21 11:51 PM

I was told I NEEDED one by a small town do anything for money hospital. It did me no good
as Id wake up with the dumb hose wrapped around my neck. Advil PM works much better for me.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:03 AM

I have used one for 10 years. I just got a new machine about 5 weeks ago. I have some adjusting to do as the ramp up is not set correctly for me, but I use mine every night and all night. When I took the sleep test I did not have mild sleep apnea, so I really can't speak to those that can resolve their issues with other means.

Bryce
Posted By: white marlin

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:18 AM

I use one every night.

wife said I'm MUCH easier to live with.

(I told her "YOU try not sleeping for 20 years, and see how good of a mood you're in...")
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:20 AM

Best thing I have ever done. Little bit getting used to but no more wake ups with heart pounding. Over 12 years using mine!
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:24 AM

Was told I have to use a bi pap machine as mine was severe. Think I got up 90 times an hour, since I got the machine I dropped some weight and my numbers got better but still need the machine. I got central sleep apnea and obstruction sleep apnea. The later is almost non existent now with the weight lose.

Watch out guys as there are a bunch of sleep machines going to be recalled for some kind of foam in them that causes problems to your body. Mine was recalled and have yet to get a new machine or mine repaired.
Posted By: gcs

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:25 AM

My son is on one, his apnea was severe, in the doc;s top ten, lol
He uses it every night for years now, Oxygen is good..... cool
Posted By: Getting There

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 01:05 AM

I have used a bi pap for about 5 years or so. I working great for me. I use a much smaller pillow the last few months and it help a great deal keeping the mask sealed. I use a 12 by 12 pillow.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 02:26 AM

Have used one for about 5 years now.

Probably saved my life.

No dreams or REM sleep for 20 years.

Tired all the time, and falling asleep at work.

Much better now with good sleep.

I have a Bi-pap.

Get one and stick with it,
you won't be sorry.

walleyed
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 02:38 AM

I sleep like a log since my wife got one, lol.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 03:22 AM

I use one, I sleep better . I fall asleep faster , dont have to get up to pee , I generaly don't wake up between 10 and 4
Posted By: BandB

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 03:29 AM

I guess I'm in the minority. My apnea was minor. Wear it every night. Still get up several times and tired all day. Every time I go to the sleep doctor, they say my numbers are great now. Go figure.
Posted By: martyd

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 03:36 AM

I am the poster boy for C-Pap machines. I have had one 34 years. One of the first people to have one. I honestly can say I could not take a million dollars for mine. Cannot sleep with out it. It will take you 6 weeks to get use to the machine. DO NOT GIVE up on the machine. MartyD
Posted By: aknome

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 03:53 AM

They are a life saver. I've been packing mine everywhere for 20+ years, including overnight snow machine trips.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 03:54 AM

It worked well for me too. I felt much better started to "dream" again. Which is what i started to use as a guide, if i was dreaming the machine was working and I was sleeping well.
Change the filters monthly and clean the mask and hose monthly, was the only maintenance required for me. But i do not have a humidifier.
I was with you on the skepticism, i thought sleep apnea was just the new "A D D", and they were just selling machines instead of drugs, but it is a real deal.

I have lost 30something pounds and now it seems that it isn't so very important to use the machine. I have a friend who had the same results after losing weight.
Good luck
Posted By: Calvin

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 04:29 AM

My Mom was told to go on one so she did. Her health severely declined from day one and died of a lung issues less than a year later at 54 years old. Could have been a total coincidence or maybe something in the filter or machine itself ( think many are refurbished) Will never know I guess but I'll never get one.
Posted By: goatman

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:31 PM

If you need one and don't you run the risk of a stroke. Rem sleep is also very important. Like most I've used mine every night. Power went out one night and I thought no problem. Told myself I could make it one night without CPAP. Wrong. Seemed like I woke up every 10 minutes.
Posted By: LDW

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:36 PM

I've had a machine for 6 months and just cannot get used to it. I have a hard time getting the mask to seal, unless I tighten down so tight that it hurts. My apnea is really bad, but just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions? Mine has a full face mask. I'm a mouth breather, so that is what they tell me I needed.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 12:40 PM

Got one, great , it does take time to get used to, stay with it and you will be on top of the grass instead of 6 feet down !
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 01:00 PM

Guess I can jump in on this one with my take on it. Years ago I was tested told was real low number too, was told had position apnea? Not the classic over weight, drunk, smoker or asthma person they usually see with apnea.. But shouldn't be falling asleep at the wheel and 10 am either..
So I got machine needing only a canula on lowest setting.. Took couple weeks to get used to but yes it made a huge difference. I also worked on learning to sleep on my side instead not flat. on my back. I did not want to take the machine to work at fire station or on my camping travels.. I became a closet c-pap user because at that time wasn't one cool kids if people knew you used one....
I Actually weenied my self off the machine by learning to sleep on my side not flat on my back.. When I got cancer and doc cut my guts all up, I ended up sleeping again on my back.. So dragged the machine out cleaned it up was back to using it until healed up and could again sleep on my side stay off my back. Enter the hips take a crap and I have to once again sleep on my back.. drag out my now antique machine clean it up work my way threw two hip replacements.. Happy to say that I have once again gone back to the no machine sleep.. I'm one of those people who take most my doctors advice, Try do what they tell me, figure it out. make it work for me. I don't always go right by what I'm told. Kind a like setting traps take the information sort threw it use what works for you and go from there.
After I got my machine and this was years a go.. I noticed that my whole family actually had the apnea thing going. My dad was terrible snorer but not a guy you could tell anything. My older brother did finally go in get tested and now runs his machine every night says it has save his life.
Your always going to find someone with horror don't matter what the topic or issue. I know whole lot people who's live are now way better for use of a simple c-pap.
Is kind a like when I was a kid we carried a canteen to drink from on some of our hikes.. I even drank, dare I say right from spring or creek.. We never knew we were walking around all that time dehydrated like kids do now. Every one water bottle in had every where they go.. C-pap kind a same as now everywhere water bottle, didn't know we need it.

I still have my c-pap sitting by bed with dust on it. I'm one of the exception that can tell when I'm struggling need to wipe it off fire back up for few days. Get my self right again..
I say if can afford it, try it, may change things like you never knew.

Mac
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LDW
I've had a machine for 6 months and just cannot get used to it. I have a hard time getting the mask to seal, unless I tighten down so tight that it hurts. My apnea is really bad, but just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions? Mine has a full face mask. I'm a mouth breather, so that is what they tell me I needed.

Get the nasal mask and a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. Sleep apnea will kill you. Your body needs oxygen. I'm certain I'd be dead if I hadn't gotten mine many years ago.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 04:50 PM

Also try hard to use a machine without a humidifier on it. You won't have many of the worries of keeping it clean that comes with the added moisture. You may get some dry nose or an occasional nose bleed but using a room humidifier in the winter is all I ever need. No water in my C-pap.

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by LDW

Get the nasal mask and a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. Sleep apnea will kill you. Your body needs oxygen. I'm certain I'd be dead if I hadn't gotten mine many years ago.

Going to try that mask. Wasn't even an option when I got it, never mentioned it.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 07:35 PM

I use the nasal pillow type mask with my C-Pap. I liked the idea Getting There posted about using a smaller pillow, I might have to give that a try.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 08:07 PM

I have been using a C-Pap for the past ten years. Granted does take a little getting used to but well worth it for me!
Speaking of pillows, they make a special pillow for C-Pap users. I got mine through the VA and it really helps.
Narrower on the bottom or chin area so the mask is not in contact with the pillow. Also make sure your mask is the
correct size. Mine was to small the first couple of years and the larger size really made things more comfortable.
It may not be for everyone but really helped my quality of sleep and life.
Roy
Posted By: slydogx

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 08:24 PM

I have been on C-PAP for about 4 years now since a sleep study confirmed that I have moderately severe sleep apnea. I am sure that it has kept me healthier than I would have been as I had quit breathing several times during the sleep study.

I started out with the nasal mask (not pillows, the mask that just covers your nose) and now use the Air-Fit N30 mask from ResMed which has been a game changer for me - far less intrusive than the other mask types plus the hose attaches at the top of your head so if you roll around alot like I do, it won't wrap around your neck LOL.

I struggled for a long time with sleep paralysis and recurring nightmares which were related to it. CPAP has been a big benefit to me.

Link to mask I use
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 09:15 PM

I have used a C-PAP for about 17 or 18 years. My sleep test have consistently been 36 times an hour I quite breathing. No doubt it has saved my life. I use the humidifier with mine and the nasal type mask (not pillars) because I have a beard and the full mask will not seal. Also have the back up battery unit so I can go camping,
I am not safe to ride my motorcycle when not using the C-PAP. Had a couple of real close calls on a motorcycle trip when I hadn't used it for 3 nights!
Last spring I developed A-FIB which is associated with C-PAP. Had 3 incidents in about 60 days, had to be taken the ER and shocked to get my heart slowed down. Pulse was as high as 184 beat per minute.
Last Friday I had the Cardiac Ablation done and am recovering now.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 09:44 PM

LDW
Try a smaller pillow, 12 by 12 by 4. I sleep on my right side and try and keep the mask off the pillow. Put the mask on real loose.
If you get a leak from above your nose up, tighten the upper straps just a little, NOT real tight. Below the nose tighten the lower strap just a little, remember just a little. This is what works for me. It should not hurt.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: C pap machine - 07/05/21 10:41 PM

For the nonbelievers a cpap can save your life, my brother in law and I were talking 3 years ago about mine. He laughed said he never wear a mask and had all the symptoms I had. 4 months later he wakes up in his vehicle on the way to work on its side smashed into a pole. The cops come and arrested him for dui and took him to the hospital for verification. While there they drew blood and noticed his heart was in failure mode. All the test were negative for drugs and alcohol. He followed up with a heart dr and that's when he found out his heart was down to working at 5%. They got a sleep study done and he was off the chart. Once he got his apnea under control his heart started to be more efficient. He was very close to death and no longer needs to wear his vest to shock his heart. He's doing ok now and he still gets after the yotes on his small line. Still to this day, I don't know how he drove to Arizona and went elk hunting and packed out his elk. He was very lucky to live and was only 37 years old then.

Guess the moral to this story is if you snore like a bear and a very tired all day go get checked out a cpap can save your life.

Re: C pap machine - 07/06/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
LDW
Try a smaller pillow, 12 by 12 by 4. I sleep on my right side and try and keep the mask off the pillow. Put the mask on real loose.
If you get a leak from above your nose up, tighten the upper straps just a little, NOT real tight. Below the nose tighten the lower strap just a little, remember just a little. This is what works for me. It should not hurt.

Because of back issues, I have to sleep in a recliner. Maybe when I get fully healed from back surgery, I'll try sleeping in bed. It's been 5 years since I've slept in bed.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: C pap machine - 07/06/21 03:48 AM

CPAP saved my life. Disturbance every 17 seconds. Would be dead by now. Was serious snorer even as a little kid. No sleep weight gain, changed my life.
Posted By: Brian Sprague

Re: C pap machine - 07/06/21 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies , I will let my T man board know what the other DR says next week after my appt. Thanks again
Posted By: charles

Re: C pap machine - 07/06/21 11:54 PM

Have had a CPAP for about 15 years. Have several now. A few months ago I became allergic to the silicone in the masks. Ordered a fabric mask. It fits over the nose and inflates when in use. I love it and it is very quiet. A CPAP is like a sleeping pill. It relaxes me and turns off the “awake” switch.
Posted By: ack

Re: C pap machine - 07/07/21 02:16 PM

My number was 70.
My wife wore ear plugs for a couple years leading up to my diagnosis.
I won't go anywhere overnight without one.
Nasal cushions here.
You will learn to keep your mouth shut pretty quick.

It's amazing how fast you will wake up when the power goes out.l
© 2024 Trapperman Forums