Home

Favorite childhood desserts

Posted By: Law Dog

Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 01:41 PM

Did not want to sidetrack the pie thread but I have been thinking about the French cookies I had as a child they looked like a waffle and cooked with a ton of butter. Have not had one in many years but the were unforgettable as close to perfect as can be. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 01:43 PM

Boston cream pie.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 01:45 PM

Raspberry cobbler. I went along as bear protection and indentured berry picker but it was worth it.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 01:46 PM

fresh strawberry shortcake with whipped cream
Posted By: run

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 01:50 PM

Black Forest cake.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:06 PM

Whenever my mom made pies she would roll out some crust dough about as big around as a tea cup saucer. Then put put butter on it and a cinnamon sugar mix. Baked it till it was nice and flakey. Called it a kid pie. I loved those things. Liked that as good as whatever pie she was making.

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:08 PM

She made snow ice cream too. Fresh snow, milk sugar and vanilla. I still like that too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:13 PM

Nanner puddin'. Still a favorite.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:15 PM

Old fashioned strawberry shortcake, with biscuit, and knockwurst.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:27 PM

Granny's chocolate gravy !!! Man those were the days !!!!
Posted By: K52

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Did not want to sidetrack the pie thread but I have been thinking about the French cookies I had as a child they looked like a waffle and cooked with a ton of butter. Have not had one in many years but the were unforgettable as close to perfect as can be. [Linked Image]

That was a tradition in my family to make those at Christmas time. Mom & Aunt Mae would make the dough one night and then the next night would make the cookies. They had waffle irons that sat on a bonnet over the gas burners on the stove that would make 2 at a time. Before that was over everybody got in on cooking them as it was a hot job standing there at the stove cooking them. I'm the only one left that got in on making them that way but I still make them every year for my family & friends. I cheat now as I have an electric iron. Wouldn't be Christmas time without them.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 02:36 PM

Jerry... they still sell them here. You're right about the butter content.

But like Julia Child once said, ".... fat is what makes food taste good..."

Pete
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 03:11 PM

My Mom's Dutch Apple Cake!

Moosetrot
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 03:16 PM

Home made donuts and choc chip cookie dough
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 03:50 PM

grandmas Italian cream cake
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 04:24 PM

My grade school had sweet puffed up rice that was always served hot to like extra warm.It looked like it was cooked in milk slowly.With Im sure sugar and butter but not too much.Just the right amount of both.Served with buttered toast if you wanted.If you came into school early enuff you could get that awesome sweet rice or oat meal for breakfast.Or a lot of times they would serve it as seconds if you ate all your lunch. I had home made versions of this type of sweet rice that was just as good if not better.I grew up in a small town and those lunch lady cooks I believe could turn just about anything they had to work with into an awesome meal.They really took pride in making us very delicious food.I know its not a dessert but their chicken and noodles were just off the chains good and rated a 10.

My Mom was an awesome cook as well.She made a dessert called bread pudding I believe and it was really good.Every kind of pie she ever made was off the charts good.I always liked her black raspberry pie I think it was called.Served warm with some vanilla ice cream !! Her peach cobbler and peach pie was very very good too !!
It would cause your tongue to slap your brain silly !!! Unfortunately we just lost her this past Feb and me and her husband or my step Dad have really been struggling.We miss her so much !! It has seemed extra ruff and bad to me cause my real Dad and my brother both passed away several years back and it almost feels like I have no real blood family left. Like Im now all alone by myself on this earth.Just a sad not good feeling.But I still have a little small amt of family.Just have to some how get thru this.Good food is many times a reminder of good times.And I have a large stored up amount of great memories for sure.So I always try to look for the good or the positive even in situations that sting and hurt.

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me

Pete

I like Julia Child.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 04:44 PM

Butterscotch pudding

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 05:08 PM

Here you go niteprowler. Bread pudding is one I like too

We leave out the raisons
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7177/bread-pudding-ii/
Posted By: DWC

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 06:02 PM

Warm rice pudding with milk and cinnamon.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 07:12 PM

My Mom used to make suet pudding at least that's what it was called. It had a real sweet heavy sauce on it and it was served hot/warm.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 07:43 PM

Bread pudding with cold milk.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 07:46 PM

Angel food cake and seven minute frosting.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 08:02 PM

All of them.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 09:19 PM

Cherry or persimmon cobler
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Raspberry cobbler. I went along as bear protection and indentured berry picker but it was worth it.

x2!
I never seen any bear but our wild raspberry bushes were so thorny your hands would be as bloody as butcher day to get a half gallon of them. Small price to pay for raspberry cobbler I guess cause I'd so it every year!

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 11:09 PM

Best raspberry’s I ever picked was in a clearcut area that thinned out some bushes leave huge raspberries on the remaining plants, thumb nail average sized ones.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 11:31 PM

Fresh wild BlackBerry cake. It was very moist and heavy. Loaded with blackberries.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 11:34 PM

A good heavy brownie with alot of frosting.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/05/21 11:41 PM

My mom's blackberry cobbler with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on top. Sure do miss her.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 12:49 AM

Just about everything you guys have mentioned with the addition of orange drop cookies (orange flavored cookies with orange icing)

Kind of a neat story about my love for orange drop cookies. 40+ years ago there was a lady that always baked orange drop cookies for our vacation bible school when I was a kid. I loved those things and she definitely held the title for the best orange drop cookies.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago, I stop by my moms house and she had two orange drop cookies in small container that my grandmother had gave to my mom for me. I poured a glass of milk and devoured them. They rivaled those I had eaten at VBS 40+ years ago.

I asked my mom if grandma had made them. She replied “no, Shirley made them” Shirley is the lady that made the cookies for VBS 40 years ago and my grandmother had hired her to clean her house a day each week. After I told my mom and grandma of the story of the original cookies that Shirley had made years ago for VBS years ago, they told the same story to Shirley and I have had monthly orange drop cookies from Shirley ever since.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by DWC

I have to second that. Sometimes simple is better. I like mine with the swoled up raisins in it.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 02:40 AM

Maybe not a dessert, but definitely a family gathering treat for young-uns... Rootbeer or BigRed float with homemade ice cream!

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 02:51 AM

Grandma gave me 2 jars of raspberry jam to take back home once from MI they never made it. LOL
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 03:25 AM

Strawberry shortcake and grandmas lemon marangh pie.

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Originally Posted by DWC

I have to second that. Sometimes simple is better. I like mine with the swoled up raisins in it.

That sounds delicious.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 11:46 AM

Chocolate zucchini cake with peanut butter icing.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Grandma gave me 2 jars of raspberry jam to take back home once from MI they never made it. LOL

grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/06/21 01:37 PM

Grandma's, warm chocolate pudding
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by swift4me

Pete

What do they call them Pete?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:12 AM

My favorites were always any pie that mom made with vanilla ice cream. Peach and blackberry being two of them that stood out.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:14 AM

Banana pudding is my favorite. Or peach cobbler
Posted By: SJA

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Maybe not a dessert, but definitely a family gathering treat for young-uns... Rootbeer or BigRed float with homemade ice cream!

That be de BE! :-)))
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Whenever my mom made pies she would roll out some crust dough about as big around as a tea cup saucer. Then put put butter on it and a cinnamon sugar mix. Baked it till it was nice and flakey. Called it a kid pie. I loved those things. Liked that as good as whatever pie she was making.

My guess would be that it was good old fashioned lard pie crust.
That is a tradition that I should try to revive.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 06:11 AM

Strawberries cut with sugar added and left in the fridge a little while made a nice treat alone or as a topping on vanalia ice cream along pumpkin pie and black cows (Root bear float but with coke) were my favorites from my grand parents.

Dutch oven peach cobbler and homemade ice cream were some favorites from camping when in scouts. Once the the duch oven got dropped and spilling a large amount of cobbler on the ground. I believe that's the first time I ate off the ground leaving that directly touching the ground there but scraped the stuff on the top onto my mess kit. Only one other scout saw the advantage to my approach.
Posted By: WTT03

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 07:52 AM

Danny,
My grandma then my mom and now my wife does something VERY similar. They roll out the leftover pie dough, put butter, sugar and cinnamon on it then roll it up jelly roll style and cut rings off about 3/4" thick. Then bake 'em until golden brown. We call them Screwnoodles. Anytime ANY pie gets made Screwnoodles are a must!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 08:12 AM

^^ sounds similar to how my wife makes cinnamon rolls but with home made dough instead of pie crust. She cuts them with dental floss . A knife makes them flat.
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 08:56 AM

Thanks for the recipe Danny ! Very much appreciated !
Posted By: learch

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 09:48 AM

Apple dumplings
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 10:41 AM

Grandmother’s Blueberry Cobbler.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 11:09 AM

Tapioca pudding, rice pudding, mayo cake, strawberry short cake, snickerdoodle cookies, blueberries w/dumplings and chocolate pudding w/graham crackers.

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Tapioca pudding, rice pudding, mayo cake, strawberry short cake, snickerdoodle cookies, blueberries w/dumplings and chocolate pudding w/graham crackers.

Tapioca pudding is truly amazing.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 11:56 AM

My grandmother fried apple pies.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 12:02 PM

Grandma's warm Chocolate Pudding
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 02:02 PM

my mom did the same thing, when she made pasty.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 02:06 PM

My mom wasn't much of a fancy baker, one of my favorites was when a 9x13 cake (Betty Crocker box) started to dry out a bit. We'd put a piece in a bowl and pour milk in. Let the cake get soggy and eat it with a spoon.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 02:13 PM

Fried Dough with powdered sugar on it was a big treat when I was young.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 03:09 PM

My Grandmothers Rice Pudding, thinned with lots of evaporated milk, ice cold from the fridge, sweet with fresh ground nutmeg MMMMMM
Posted By: midlander

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by garymc
Just about everything you guys have mentioned with the addition of orange drop cookies (orange flavored cookies with orange icing)

Kind of a neat story about my love for orange drop cookies. 40+ years ago there was a lady that always baked orange drop cookies for our vacation bible school when I was a kid. I loved those things and she definitely held the title for the best orange drop cookies.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago, I stop by my moms house and she had two orange drop cookies in small container that my grandmother had gave to my mom for me. I poured a glass of milk and devoured them. They rivaled those I had eaten at VBS 40+ years ago.

I asked my mom if grandma had made them. She replied “no, Shirley made them” Shirley is the lady that made the cookies for VBS 40 years ago and my grandmother had hired her to clean her house a day each week. After I told my mom and grandma of the story of the original cookies that Shirley had made years ago for VBS years ago, they told the same story to Shirley and I have had monthly orange drop cookies from Shirley ever since.

A smart man would be securing that recipe while Shirley is still alive....a smarter man would be sharing the recipe with the rest of us smile
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 03:47 PM

My Mom used fresh milk from the cows with whip cream.....bowl was probably 4000 calories but loved every one of them.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 04:20 PM

Pineapple upside down cake with real whipped cream on top!
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 10:48 PM

Carrot cookies with orange glaze. Yum!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Favorite childhood desserts - 07/22/21 11:06 PM

Tapioca! Can't get enough, especially love the "skin" on the top.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums