Home

A will entry from 1698

Posted By: Anonymous

A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 11:20 AM

Our family on the Cody side were early immigrants to the new America.
The type of life these ancestors had can be sensed from their last will and testaments (aptly named).
What they believed in as they parted this life.
I enjoy these traditional perspectives as these were the pioneers that built this land;
I have not changed any spellings.
This was a different time in our land for sure than where we stand today.

In the Name of God, Amen. I, Phillip Coady of Hopkinton, in the County of Middlesex and province of the Matichusetts Bay, in New England Husbandman being aged & weak in Body, but Sound in Mind & Memory, thanks be to God therefor, and calling to mind my mortality and not knowing how soon I shall die Do this day being the tenth day of August in the year of our Redemption Seven _teen hundred & thirty Nine, make this my last will & Testament, first rendering my Soul into the hands of a Merciful God hoping for Salvation thro the Merits of my blessed Savior. and my body to the Ground to be buried in a Christian & decent manner according to the direction of my Executors hereafter named, hoping to receive it in the general Resurrection of the Righteous; and for such Worldly Estates as it has pleased Almighty God to bestow upon me, I give bequeath & bestow in Manner following;

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Northof50

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 11:31 AM

What day did Phillip pass away after making that will ?

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Not sure. I'd need the family genealogy book in front of me for exact years. They were from the Isle of Jersey off the coast of France, although they spoke English and attended Anglican Church. The original farmstead in Massachusetts was probated for some fifty years I think because a probate judge signed a document in 1747 and Philip died not long after this will entry in 1698 as I recall. They came to MA in 1636 with several children but only two survived the boat trip. Philip lived to a pretty ripe old age.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 11:52 AM

Family bibles do hold lots of facts that sure do need " up front" viewing for clarifications.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by Northof50

Not sure. I'd need the family genealogy book in front of me for exact years. They were from the Isle of Jersey off the coast of France, although they spoke English and attended Anglican Church. The original farmstead in Massachusetts was probated for some fifty years I think because a probate judge signed a document in 1747 and Philip died not long after this will entry in 1698 as I recall. They came to MA in 1636 with several children but only two survived the boat trip. Philip lived to a pretty ripe old age.

Blessings,
Mark

Doesn't the will say it was recorded in 1739?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 12:16 PM

pretty cool, Mark!

my great great great great grandfather came over in 1742 as a boy (nine years old)

(and I thought *WE* were "early")
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 02:07 PM

'Thanks for posting Mark. Like Pike River said "appears" to have been recorded in 1739; how does that square with 1698?

Whatever answer to above is would be nice to see what the man willed out to others unless too long to post. Be interesting to know what people owned in those days.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 02:16 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

This was going on about the same time. i dont want to go back to that level of crazy
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

This was going on about the same time. i dont want to go back to that level of crazy

We're close

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by crosspatch
Whatever answer to above is would be nice to see what the man willed out to others unless too long to post. Be interesting to know what people owned in those days.

I'll try to post mine later, from1807-ish...

one thing (off the top of my head) that my great, great, great, great grandfather willed to his wife was the bed they slept in. I think there was a cow mentioned (with stipulations on how the milk was to be divvied up); and a teapot...

Posted By: Yes sir

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Squaretimber
Originally Posted by danny clifton

We're close

Boys competing in women's sports and using women's facilities is on its own level. There have been evils and wrongs committed by every generation(past and future) and there are extremists and evil people in about every group. Even us trappers have our bad apples.

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 03:24 PM

Boys competing in women's sports and using women's facilities is on its own level

Mental illness is not new. I agree that whats being done about this one is kinda out there.

Mental health as a medical profession is a new science. Untill just a few decades ago the mentally ill were just locked up in deplorable conditions. Chained to walls for example. Trying to treat it is so new we dont have effective treatment for many of the different illnesses. The effective treatments involve drugs that have a lot of bad side effects. Patients tend not to take them when given a choice.

I dont see the relationship though to killing people over superstition.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 04:53 PM

Paranoia?
Posted By: Boco

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 06:00 PM

They had to write religious stuff like that or they would be burnt at the stake.
Probably why they were run out of their own country-religious zealots.

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/10/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
They had to write religious stuff like that or they would be burnt at the stake.

or maybe that's who they were...
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 12:38 AM

If Mark gave you a penny for your thoughts,,,he would need change back. grin
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 12:45 AM

That's interesting Mark. Thanks for sharing it, I appreciate it.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 02:50 AM

Boco
Your in a sad state and unless you accept The Lord Jesus, confess and forsake your sins, the Bible says you will burn in (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)
I’m sorry for you Boco

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

If Mark gave you a penny for your thoughts,,,he would need change back. grin

But there are no pennies left in Canada, so how could this happen.

Oh the tax man showed no mercy back in those days.

to get back to the subject

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 03:07 AM

Except what Boco wrote is true. Many people fled Europe because of religious persecution then persecuted anybody who Didnt believe the way they did. Its historical fact and well documented. There are many zealots, of many different religions, who still would like to do a little persecuting
Posted By: Boco

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 03:07 AM

Yea they're a bit behind the times-we got rid of pennies years ago.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 03:13 AM

.Its Called being a True Believer in Christ
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/11/21 03:15 AM

Some of you guys are in a sad state. Thanks Mark very interesting

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 11:39 AM

You're welcome Brad. Actually this document is a probate decision some 40 years after Philip died as I recall. I have the Genealogy book of the Cody family (official copy is kept at the Museum archives in Cody, WY) but I don't have it with me. I just thought it was sincere how people long ago summarized their life's journey as they neared the finish line.

I note some of the same trappers come on this thread, as they often do, telling everyone exactly how it was in 1700 in America because they are the 2021 enlightened elites. Not me. I enjoy learning history but unlike the Tman'ers who seem to be cut from the same cloth as the folks tearing down statues who are also the 2021 enlightened ones, I'm not that smart. So why would I say I know everything today about my ancestors 250 years ago?

Prideful arrogance in 2021 has no bearing on 1698 unless you don't mind someone in 2575 rewriting our life narratives.
At the rate humans are headed, they probably will. And they will be wrong is my guess.

All I can say in 2021, as I support patients and families who are in their last days is that it's a very sincere, candid time for them.
I observe and learn from such people.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:06 PM

Well put Mark
it has been hard for many clergy dealing with this last round of the pandemic with family that were blindsides by a unexpected loss in the family.
now having a full year go by and not having any public gathering for funerals has put a strain on those family groups.
A simple thing like a will in place, sure does smooth the tensions between family members.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:17 PM

Re read that a couple times. Where is 1698 coming from? I read 1739.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker

Actually this document is a probate decision some 40 years after Philip died as I recall. I have the Genealogy book of the Cody family (official copy is kept at the Museum archives in Cody, WY) but I don't have it with me.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Pike River

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by tomahawker

Actually this document is a probate decision some 40 years after Philip died as I recall. I have the Genealogy book of the Cody family (official copy is kept at the Museum archives in Cody, WY) but I don't have it with me.

Blessings,
Mark

Probate wouldn't have changed the substance of the will including the date that it was recorded.

not knowing how soon I shall die Do this day being the tenth day of August in the year of our Redemption Seven _teen hundred & thirty Nine

Still a really nice reach back to the pass. I was able to read a will from one of my ancestors from New England during the same period. Its good to know where we came from.

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:47 PM

looks to me like a lot of people ought to read a little more history

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 12:51 PM

What happened to that video you posted Mark that claimed we would all be telepathically connected to ICloud after taking the luceferan zombie virus shot?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 01:12 PM

Facebook factcheckers I could give a sxxt whether its 1698 1699 or 1738 and 11 months Always good to hear what you have to say Mark

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Facebook factcheckers I could give a sxxt whether its 1698 1699 or 1738 and 11 months Always good to hear what you have to say Mark

Thanks Jeff. I really didn't dive into who died when. My post, and my smile while reading it, was in the verbiage of the will itself. Kinda neat in my book.
Not so much for others and that's fine.
Still can't figure why some on Tman make a routine habit of making themselves look grandiose by diminishing other's beliefs.
There's enough of that on the evening news. Charlottesville most recently with the statue of Lewis & Clark & Saqajaweah being taken down.
When you say you know all, be careful as others will outplay you at your same game.
...... as it falls on hard hearts.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 02:57 PM

'Thanks for posting Mark. Like Pike River said "appears" to have been recorded in 1739; how does that square with 1698?

The original family came in 1698--duh!
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lufkin Trapper

The original family came in 1698--duh!

Lets see who the "duh" is Lufkin. Mark pls. clarify re. the dates as several people have asked.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 07:53 PM

Mark, your point stands out and is well taken. There will always be naysayers.

Here's something along those lines that I have carried around in my wallet many years for the naysayers who contend that Ben Franklin was an atheist:

"The Body of B. Franklin, Printer
Like the cover of an old book,
Its contents torn out,
And script of its lettering and
guilding, lies here, food for worms.
But the work shall not be lost,
For it will, as he believed,
appear once more.
In a new and more elegant edition.
Corrected and improved by its
author.
Given by Ben Franklin to Sam Morris
August 31, 1776

Re: A will entry from 1698 - 07/12/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin

I'll try to post mine later, from1807-ish...

portion of the Will:

"...I give and bequeath to my beloved Wife Catarina...all thise falling articles, that is one bed and bedstad, her one chaise and one first [?], and the letle iron kitle and the [?] oven and too peuter plates and three spoons and spinning wheel and six pound of woll and the third part of the half acar of flax, that is in the ground now and all the ould flax from last years and too wooding buckits which I give all to my beloved wife, as a free and sepperate gift and all the remainder of my goods and chatles, and all and everything shall be sold by my executors..."
© 2024 Trapperman Forums