Home

Old Silver Dollars

Posted By: saskbone

Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:18 AM

Found these in a box of my grandpas old things. Anybody have a rough estimate what their worth? Thanks [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:22 AM

If no one here answers you PM jediknight. He would know.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:40 AM

They start at $26 on up for the peace dollars $35 up on the Morgans depending on how they grade. Go to Ebay coin sales and you can get a pretty good idea.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:41 AM

Mid 20's minimum. Depends on the grade prices go up from there. Scap value around 20 right now. Its just who you end up selling to.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:41 AM

They have about $20.50 worth of silver in them. Here in South Central PA they are available for $30 and up depending on the conditions and the year made. From what I can see yours's should retail for $35 or so.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
They have about $20.50 worth of silver in them. Here in South Central PA they are available for $30 and up depending on the conditions and the year made. From what I can see yours's should retail for $35 or so.

Pretty well summed it up.

Saskbone, no Canadian silver? I love Canadian silver dollars.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by rex123
They start at $26 on up for the peace dollars $35 up on the Morgans depending on how they grade. Go to Ebay coin sales and you can get a pretty good idea.

I agree with this.

The Morgan looks to be in nice condition. Could be in the $50 range. Hard to judge by pic.
Posted By: Minker

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:54 AM

What about modern minted silver dollars ?
Scrap price ?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:54 AM

I had a bunch I bought at about $11-13 each at auction 20 years ago. Wish I could find them...they seem to have disappeared.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

Pretty well summed it up.

Saskbone, no Canadian silver? I love Canadian silver dollars.

Lots of Canadian silver dollars that my dad saved when he was a kid. Lots of 50 cent pieces to. These were found randomly in boxes of my grandpas that I’m going through. I’ll have to post sone pics of them next time I get them out.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Minker
What about modern minted silver dollars ?
Scrap price ?

Modern minted silver dollars? There is no such thing.

They are worth a dollar.

The biggest fraud perpetuated on our people was when they took the value out of our money.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:16 AM

Modern “silver “ dollars are not silver. They are worth face value = $1.00.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:21 AM

I should clarify, I have some Eisenhower dollars that are 40 percent silver. They were minted for collectors sets and were not intended for circulation. They are out there circulating but very few. If someone did have one the melt value is 8.25.

As it is, those of us under I'd say sixty years of age. didn't really know what a true silver dollar was unless someone educated us to the fact. We always and still do call the Eisenhower's "silver dollars" but they are copper/nickel like the rest of modern coins.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:30 AM

You should take them to a LICENSED, REPUTABLE coin dealer . . . or learn to be a numismatist.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:44 AM

Some people will pay more than face value for Ike clads because they're not seen very often. Some Army officers use them as pseudo "commander's coin" and give them out to the troops for jobs well done.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:53 AM

Some of the Eisenhower bi-centennials are worth a little.
[Linked Image]
Not this one though.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 04:12 AM

Nice

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:40 PM

I thought you would call silver eagles modern silver dollars?
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:50 PM

Tell you what, if those are Grandad's coins, they are priceless.

I wouldn't sell them.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 02:59 PM

They are. Silver eagles have a $1 denomination. Different years typically have different prices at coin shops. Older cost more.

Currently, MOST reputable coin shops are paying above spot price on pre-1964 silver coins, as well as Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs, and many others.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:16 PM

cfowler explain this for me .How do they make money paying over spot? Are they filling orders or just speculating? I sold some extra coins a while back and was paid 1.50 over spot and never really got an answer as to why. Didn't mind it but was wondering?

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:26 PM

Anytime someone is paying over market value, it's either speculation or they're selling to a different customer base. Same as this fur market. When you see odd prices in local fur auctions, it's almost always tanners/crafters. Castor market is driven up at the moment from cosmetic companies.
Posted By: charles

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:37 PM

PM me if you are interested in selling them.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:37 PM

PM me if you are interested in selling them.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 03:44 PM

Save those for when the SHTF.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 04:05 PM

Although they have a face value of $1 nobody calls them "silver dollars".

cfowler explain this for me .How do they make money paying over spot? Are they filling orders or just speculating? I sold some extra coins a while back and was paid 1.50 over spot and never really got an answer as to why. Didn't mind it but was wondering?

What kind of coins did you sell for 1.50 over if you don't mind my asking.

They are paying over spot because the physical supply has dried right up and they can sell for well above spot. In a shop, a silver eagle will likely be 10 to 15 over spot on the buy side.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by redsnow
Tell you what, if those are Grandad's coins, they are priceless.

I wouldn't sell them.

For sure.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Anytime someone is paying over market value, it's either speculation or they're selling to a different customer base. Same as this fur market. When you see odd prices in local fur auctions, it's almost always tanners/crafters. Castor market is driven up at the moment from cosmetic companies.

This. Demand is up.
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Save those for when the SHTF.

And this.

Spot price is the “paper market”, like mining stocks.
Premium price is what someone is willing to pay to take physical possession.
That the way I look at it. Bought many coins years ago for below spot price. Things are changing. I have several “collectors”, which I paid a nice premium on a few years back. Their collector value has increased, but I suspect their true value will surpass their collector value one day.

Relative to the fiat currency supply. Ag and Au are on SALE. JMO smile
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 05:54 PM

I want a picture of the Krugerrands that they collected ?
Grandparents collections should not be sold off. Unfortunately many wills are not set up that way in distribution and there is always one stickler holding out.....so the lawyers make a killing.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 06:10 PM

When my grandfather passed away , my mom and her siblings agreed to sell his collection or buy parts of it then split the proceeds. He had probably 700$ in silver dollars and half dollars.he was stationed in Germany after WW2 and had coins from all over from 1950s western Europe, including some Nazi Germany era coins, I snagged most of those.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 06:39 PM

Yeah they aren’t for sale. Just don’t know much about them. Wish I knew the story about them !
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 08:31 PM

Sask are there any coin dealers name on the folders.?
Looks like a way they did coins up in the 1960's before the Texas buyers Silver boom of the 70's when they went to $6face value

Use a metal detector in the floor boards...for the hidden stuff.

A very interesting interview was with a metal detector that went through Sask. First he reviewed all the Pier 22 records in the winter and found where the people came from , then tracked down their farmsteads. Russian/ Ukraniane Mennonite farms was his target since their dis-trust with government and paper money. Find the homestead and direction of the kitchen window- mom always was washing dishes and looked out over the garden as so no livestock would eat their food, and her dug coins she could see fresh digging. Many a baba died and left the booty buried because the old man would only spend it a houch

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:26 PM

I sold silver eagles that were low value to collectors for 1.50 over spot. This was last year.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:44 PM

Beware of Morgan Dollars coming out of China. They are bargain-priced, but might not be the real deal. I have about six of them. At least a magnet will not stick to them.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:47 PM

I sold silver eagles that were low value to collectors for 1.50 over spot. This was last year.

I bought some Eagles, 1oz rounds, and some Constitutional silver throughout late 2019/early 2020, paid $1 over spot. Would expect to pay $1-$2 over spot right now for “junk”. Would expect to pay $3-$4 over through a dealer.

Estate auctions, locally, can expect Peace dollars to sell $35-$45. Morgans $50-$60. Halves will bring anywhere from $12-$20. Quarters $6-$10. Dimes $2-$3. Coins tend to draw crowds around here, like a good gun auction. So what an object brings, may not reflect the true average price.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:53 PM

Same here .People go a little crazy at auctions over coins you can toss there value they want them they go crazy and pay whatever.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 09:59 PM

Once in a lifetime find. Quarter half dollars and 1 dollar coins. All silver. Along with silver note paper currency.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 10:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 10:03 PM

1798 big penny. Ben and George tossed this to see who was taking the boat across the Deleware

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 10:04 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 10:19 PM

Nice Stinkypete!

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 10:56 PM

Thanks. It was very interesting. I found quite a bit of old currency during this lock down. All very well circulated. But none the less very interesting.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 07/12/21 11:53 PM

I'm glad to hear that Pap's coins are not for sale.

Over the years a feller will accumulate stuff that's not worth squat money wise, but is worth a fortune in other ways.

Years and years ago, back when I was 12 or 14 years old, one of Dad's good friends bet me a Dollar that he'd kill a bigger buck than me. I agreed and we shook on it.

I forget his right name, but we always called him Cat. He owned a garage here in town. Cat stopped by after season, I'd won the bet and he handed me a silver Dollar. Face value, it's worth a Dollar, but it's locked up in the safe, and not for sale!!!

Dad and Cat are both long gone, but stuff like that is priceless.

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 10/07/21 08:28 PM

I have been collecting (buying) Morgan silver dollars for about a year now. Just for fun, not for a monetary crisis. Something to leave the children.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 10/08/21 02:13 AM

Got this one ....1878..... year of the Lincoln county war

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 10/08/21 11:40 AM

Nice coin, Savell.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 10/08/21 12:24 PM

Cool post
Posted By: VictorD

Re: Old Silver Dollars - 10/08/21 02:43 PM

Do yourself a favor and do not clean them. Have someone check the Morgan's. There are some small differences which will make some worth more than others.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums