Home

No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again

Posted By: Trapper7

No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 04:23 PM

Don't know if anyone posted this or not, but heard last week on the radio that MN won't have a wolf season again this fall. The reason given is the MN DNR hasn't completed its wolf management program study yet. I wonder what excuse they'll use next year?
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 04:46 PM

Call me a debbie downer, but personally, I don't see the management of wolves given back to the people under our current governor.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Call me a debbie downer, but personally, I don't see the management of wolves given back to the people under our current governor.

Call me a Debbie downer as well but I doubt we get a much better Governor anytime soon.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:08 PM

49er is right. Regardless of what you think DNR's role is in determining the future of active wolf management it will not happen under this Governor. The guy that's all about science could care less about science on this issue.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:16 PM

Sounds like Michigan.I said long ago we'd never see another wolf season in this state due to the attitude of our DNR towards it.The years drift by,and they drag their feet more and more.So much for scientific wildlife management
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
49er is right. Regardless of what you think DNR's role is in determining the future of active wolf management it will not happen under this Governor. The guy that's all about science could care less about science on this issue. any issue that doesn't fit his agenda

fixed it for you
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:39 PM

The wolves probably have covid
Posted By: 20scout

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 05:57 PM

I heard that comrade Walsh and his party decided the DNR should not be in control of wolf management and that the state should manage it, that is why it was nixed before the senate had a chance to vote on it. If that is the case then the DNR will never have a say in this matter.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

Call me a Debbie downer as well but I doubt we get a much better Governor anytime soon.

You're probably right about that. All the rioting, burning, looting, etc and the governor did nothing. The Twin Cities looked like it had been bombed. The governor let it go for almost a week before he did anything. His handling of the pandemic caused numerous businesses to go under. He offered them nothing in the form of relief. Yet, the Twin Cities will decide the next governor's election and he will get re-elected.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 06:33 PM

I have always said,we won't see a wolf season . How many years were we told that the population was not growing,yet Mn wolves were spreading out from our state into our neighboring states.
When I was trapping beaver in wolf country,I stopped into the DNR office in that area. I asked where the wolf packs were located,they showed me a couple spots on the area map. I then pointed to 4 different spots on the map and asked--what about the packs in these locations--I got no response,just silence.
Walz would like all of us to disappear--but nowhere near as much as we wish he would.
Tom

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 07:28 PM

Around 25 years ago, I attended a meeting with the DNR regarding the status of the wolf in MN. At that time, the DNR estimated the MN wolf population at around 3700. The meeting was attended by hunters, trappers, and people living in the wolf zones of MN. There was also a number of wolf-lovers present. The hunters, trappers, and landowners gave their reasons for a wolf season reasonably and provided good evidence. They were booed and heckled whenever they spoke by the wolf-lovers as they did their best to interrupt them. The behaved like the animals they were trying to protect.

3700 wolves estimated approximately 25 years ago. What have we had 2 seasons of limited quota hunting and trapping? As I recall the quota was 400 wolves in each season. Now, the DNR is saying they estimate there are 2500 wolves in MN? Really??? What happened to them with no natural predators? The DNR is insulting a sane person's intelligence if they really expect us to believe this.

For years the MNDNR said there were no cougars in MN until a number of them were filmed. Then they finally admitted there were cougars.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 07:35 PM

DNR’s or whatever the local term for them is have become so politically charged and infested with people who don’t see the roll that hunters and trappers play.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I heard that comrade Walsh and his party decided the DNR should not be in control of wolf management and that the state should manage it, that is why it was nixed before the senate had a chance to vote on it. If that is the case then the DNR will never have a say in this matter.

The DNR is the State. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is a state agency with a commissioner appointed by the Governor. So one in the same, with Walz calling the shots (or in this case lack of shots).
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/12/21 11:19 PM

Our idiot governor has made it clear there will be no wolf hunting while he is the governor.
Posted By: Jacks

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/13/21 12:50 AM

What is different in our state versus Wisconsin? Can we go to the courts and possibly win like Wisconsin judge told don’t to have a season?

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/13/21 01:04 AM

Ron, the difference is the Wisconsin law allowing a wolf season states they must have a season. The current law on the book in MN only allows for the ability to have a season. It doesn't require it.

I suppose we could have a season in MN in 2022 but that would require the Republicans in the senate to grow a set. They won't.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/13/21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout

The DNR is the State. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is a state agency with a commissioner appointed by the Governor. So one in the same, with Walz calling the shots (or in this case lack of shots).

The DNR already has a statutory say in the matter, there is a law on the books allowing for a wolf season. They won't take advantage of it because they are a political body.
Posted By: AJE

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/22/21 11:58 PM

Ron, the difference is the Wisconsin law allowing a wolf season states they must have a season.

True, but that could be in jeopardy in Wi according to this article I saw today.

https://www.weau.com/2021/07/22/dnr-confirmation-fight-brewing-after-chair-refuses-leave/
Posted By: Pike River

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 07/23/21 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Ron, the difference is the Wisconsin law allowing a wolf season states they must have a season.

True, but that could be in jeopardy in Wi according to this article I saw today.

https://www.weau.com/2021/07/22/dnr-confirmation-fight-brewing-after-chair-refuses-leave/

Turning into one long protracted fight with irregular seasons.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/26/21 05:30 PM

49er is right. Regardless of what you think DNR's role is in determining the future of active wolf management it will not happen under this Governor. The guy that's all about science could care less about science on this issue.

Yes, quoting myself on this one.

This same Governor, who is all about science, announced that our State is going to entice unvacinated people with $100 gift cards to come the the State fair to be vacinated. Does the science say it's a good idea to encourage unvacinated people to attend one of the states largest gatherings?

What part if science says that despicable gatherings like church or Trump rallies are superspreader events, but paying unvacinated people to attend a state fair is not? I'm confused.

No this is not a covid thread, just a "following the science?" thread.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/26/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

That wouldnt impact season, just the number of wolves harvested. They are required by state statue to have a season when delisted, but folks like Sandra Nass would surely approve a much smaller token quota.
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/26/21 09:43 PM

Not to rile the Minnesota or Michigan natives any further, but...

But I have a notion that with a continued season here in Wi, these wolves will start acting like wolves again instead of over grown coyotes, meaning actually start fearing humans and human activity more. Maybe even to the point of getting out of dodge into a neighboring states safe haven...
Posted By: goldy

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/26/21 10:37 PM

Until we get rid of Walz, or more specifically Lt. Governor Flanigan, its highly unlikely we will see another wolf season. She's a member of the White Earth native american tribe that believe wolves are kin. I highly doubt Walz would go against her wishes.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/26/21 10:49 PM

Maybe it's time for the senate to dig in their heels. They won't though.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 12:14 AM

I almost brought up the reason we needed a higher quota for wolves in WI was because MN wasn't going to have a season. That would just free up more to move here.

You should start applying pressure, but it will take folks talking to the non-hunting public on the benefits of a season.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 02:25 AM

Apply pressure?

You assume too much, as of right now I'm pretty apathetic, MN is at a tipping point.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 02:37 AM

It's such a joke when our western states have far fewer wolves but we have very liberal trapping regs as compared to MN. Shows what a a industry (livestock) can do for a cause.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 02:38 AM

Not that I'm against what we are allowed out here just comparing the number doesn't make sense.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 02:45 AM

Although our livestock industry isn't as large as some western states they are trying to put pressure to manage the resource.

Luckily for Montana you don't have 5 million people of which 70 or 80 percent live in metro area. If you did, well.................

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
I almost brought up the reason we needed a higher quota for wolves in WI was because MN wasn't going to have a season. That would just free up more to move here.

You should start applying pressure, but it will take folks talking to the non-hunting public on the benefits of a season.

It is hard to apply much pressure to a Governor who cares very little about sportsmen, or the less populated areas of the state where wolves actually reside. His constituents in the Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester, and Mankato are the woke environmentalists that know far more about wolves than those of us who live and recreate among them.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 03:22 AM

Rocks and cows men, rocks and cows.

[Linked Image]

about sums it up.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 03:29 AM

We’ll be in the same boat as Colorado soon
Posted By: Trapper1960

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 08:03 AM

Well come over to Montana and trap a few , They upped the count from 5 to 10 wolves each and added snaring , extended season and night hunting over bait . You could say we have a wolf problem . Moose Elk and deer numbers are down and you will see all of those seasons be closed or shortened because of their numbers . All them puppy lovers are not gonna like it when they have no other wildlife ( or pets ) to view ! IMHO
Posted By: Dirt

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper1960
Well come over to Montana and trap a few , They upped the count from 5 to 10 wolves each and added snaring , extended season and night hunting over bait . You could say we have a wolf problem . Moose Elk and deer numbers are down and you will see all of those seasons be closed or shortened because of their numbers . All them puppy lovers are not gonna like it when they have no other wildlife ( or pets ) to view ! IMHO

They would rather complain about living in MN than leave. I know plenty that have left and abandoned that State. Nice place to visit, not live.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Trapper1960

They would rather complain about living in MN than leave. I know plenty that have left and abandoned that State. Nice place to visit, not live.

Pretty nice place to live if you don't watch the news.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 03:43 PM

Dirt, outside of the political climate I wouldn't rather live anywhere else.

As long as the republicans control the senate we'll manage.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 05:01 PM

I run into a lot of Minnesotans in AZ. Appear to only like MN part of the year.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 05:03 PM

Kinda like Alaskans? Residency in AZ also comes with the perk that you avoid MN high state tax rate.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 05:12 PM

I have to repair the Minnesotan's property. Just a Job for a couple weeks. Not 4 or 5 months to avoid the winter.

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 09:32 PM

That's good, the more that go south in the winter, the happier I am
Posted By: waggler

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 11:29 PM

I hear that wolves really like Xylitol.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 11:45 PM

Many die here every year from coyote hunters .

wink

Yet the state gets no permit $.
Posted By: Seek

Re: No Wolf Hunting Or Trapping In MN Again - 08/27/21 11:55 PM

In Duluth where I live, you can't walk half a block without tripping over a BLM sign, anti-line 3 sign, Save the Boundary Waters sign, We Believe sign (my personal favorite). I can imagine the "Stop the Wolf Hunt" signs or "Save the Wolf" signs that would spring into action overnight. Minnesota is full of self-righteous (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) libtards who are constantly shoving their agendas and beliefs down your throat. Its the most awful state I have ever lived in.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums