Home

pressure canner

Posted By: pintail_drake04

pressure canner - 07/14/21 04:30 PM

Hey folks, I've been canning my whole life. However, we have only water bathed our jars. I'm looking into a pressure canner to expand what I put up on a yearly basis. I'm looking at the Presto 23qt, as it seem to be what is most available. I was wondering what yall's thoughts were on the presto?

Thanks.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
Hey folks, I've been canning my whole life. However, we have only water bathed our jars. I'm looking into a pressure canner to expand what I put up on a yearly basis. I'm looking at the Presto 23qt, as it seem to be what is most available. I was wondering what yall's thoughts were on the presto?

Thanks.

That's the one I use,,and have used for many years.With that size,,you can double stack the pint sized jars.My wife and I can ALL our vegetables for the year, and lots of meat with that canner.Gasgets and parts are readily available for it too.
Posted By: warrior

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 04:39 PM

I've got mama's presto and it's at least three decades plus and still going strong. I swapped out the gaskets a few years back and the parts are readily available. Picked up another one just last year.

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:00 PM

10-4 gents. think I'll go with the 23qt presto then. I appreciate it.
Posted By: charles

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:25 PM

Have two of them. Works fine. I used to can lots of tuna when I lived on the coast.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:39 PM

Have one really did not like it. Now just use it as a pot to scald chickens in . Replaced it with an all American. It's much nicer. Yes more expensive and not sold at every farm store or Wal-Mart so not as common. But what tha Amish around us use. They would not wast money on something if it was not worth it.

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:45 PM

Do make sure the vents, locks and pop off are all in good shape before each use. Having compared the presto to the all american if I had to guess which would let go first I would guess the presto just from the construction and locking mechanics. However we are only talking 15 psi and as long as the pressure control devices work as designed you'll never come close to needing more.

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:46 PM

JMO, the risk of burns and scalds is a much much bigger risk.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: pressure canner - 07/14/21 05:46 PM

Only thing I'd like better is if I could stack quarts.
I have not used others so can't compare, it's a pot.
Purple green beans are up next.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Only thing I'd like better is if I could stack quarts.
I have not used others so can't compare, it's a pot.
Purple green beans are up next.

^^^** luv those Louisiana purple pod green beans , they make by the zillions, good tasting green been.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 03:14 AM

Another vote for All American. It only hurts one time to buy quality. And if you are wanting to stack quarts, All American has sizes that will do that. I have the 930 and it will hold 19 pints or 14 quarts. They are not cheap or cheap made and there is a wait now when you order one. I have had mine around 10 years, it gets lots of use, and I have never regretted buying it. But there are times I wish I had two of them.

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Another vote for All American. It only hurts one time to buy quality. And if you are wanting to stack quarts, All American has sizes that will do that. I have the 930 and it will hold 19 pints or 14 quarts. They are not cheap or cheap made and there is a wait now when you order one. I have had mine around 10 years, it gets lots of use, and I have never regretted buying it. But there are times I wish I had two of them.

2x on buying 2. Or at least more sizes.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 12:06 PM

I also have the all American. It's a 21qt. Buy once cry once.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 02:37 PM

My presto is used on our electric range and can handle 7 quarts or 11 pints, it is a 16 qt. Our Granite Ware I use on our turkey fryer burner as it can take open flame and that is 4 qt. or 6 pints so I can do a two at a time.
I have never pressure canned or cooked any meat products, but have read on here and in the instruction books how long the cook times are. We freeze almost all vegetables except the tomato products, pickles, relish and kraut.
Bryce

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 02:51 PM

I'm getting more concerned about power outages. We had one the other day that was "scheduled" supposedly that lasted longer than anticipated. I figured it would be a good time to start thinking about alternatives to freezer space.
I started looking at the All American, I never heard or seen one of them. They sure look better made than the Presto.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 03:03 PM

Three Thanksgivings ago we lost power for a week.
I kept a close eye on the freezers and around day four
I started canning the meat.
I much prefer deer and beef roast canned.
Water on stock too, no electric = no pump.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 04:29 PM

I just saw a used All American Pressure Cooker 921 for sale for $120.00. It looks like it's been hardly used. Is that a decent price?

What's a used All American Pressure Cooker in decent used condition worth? I frequently see them at auction.

Keith
Posted By: jabNE

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 04:30 PM

I use a smaller presto here
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I just saw a used All American Pressure Cooker 921 for sale for $120.00. It looks like it's been hardly used. Is that a decent price?

What's a used All American Pressure Cooker in decent used condition worth? I frequently see them at auction.

Keith

921 new runs from $320 -$380 depending on where you get it. If all the parts are there, there is not much to go wrong with them and replacement parts can be ordered if something does break.

If I saw one that did not look abused for that price, I would be all over it!
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 07:28 PM

I've been using the Presto 23 qt for 20+ years. No complaints.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 07:52 PM

I just bought an older Mirro 22 quart pressure pot. So when I get back home I'll start canning green beans. I ordered a new seal for it and that should arrive next week when I a home.

Re: pressure canner - 07/15/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

I would not think twice about buying it. We got ours for around 320 at an Amish store. Drove an hour and half each way to get it just because it was in stock.

I will buy more if I see a deal like that. I still have an open burner on my canning set up. I prefer to get it done as fast as possible. 2 would be 2x as fast.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: pressure canner - 07/16/21 03:04 AM

I hear American canner is the best, no gasket, about 500$

Re: pressure canner - 07/22/21 11:10 AM

So, my wife is awesome!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: pressure canner - 07/22/21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
We freeze almost all vegetables except the tomato products, pickles, relish and kraut.
Bryce

You do not need a pressure canner for any of those products. They are all acidic. LLL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums