Home

Dragonflies...

Posted By: flash

Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 04:33 PM

Was out working the dog last evening. Around 8 or so 2 bunches started swarming overhead about 20 feet up. Those big green kind. Was pretty cool. Lasted a couple of minutes. Gus is sure being a hardhead Lab bless his heart, six months and a whole lot of fun.... Stay cool out there. Flash
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 04:41 PM

I've always liked watching dragonflies and damsel flies. I wonder if they were eating mosquitos that started to swarm above you?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by flash
Was out working the dog last evening. Around 8 or so 2 bunches started swarming overhead about 20 feet up. Those big green kind. Was pretty cool. Lasted a couple of minutes. Gus is sure being a hardhead Lab bless his heart, six months and a whole lot of fun.... Stay cool out there. Flash

Mosquito eaters.I like seeing them around.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 07:18 PM

A couple of days ago I was looking at my button bush and all the different things eating off it and noticed a dragon fly on one of the balls. I was thinking that I didn't think they ate pollen but then I looked closer and he was munching on a small moth or butterfly.
Posted By: gregh

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 08:00 PM

I hate dragon flies. They sure do a number on my virgin queens when they go out on there mating flights this time of year.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 08:04 PM

I got into the deer flies pretty bad a few weeks back...As I was walking out to the truck, the swarm kept getting bigger and nastier. Got in the truck and the flies were everywhere. But then a squadron of dragonflies came along and all those deer flies vanished. It was like the calvary showed up
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 08:38 PM

For the last two years, sometime in early Fall, we get thousands of large dragonflies for a few days. Usually there are no dragonflies here. I think they may come from a very small pond across the State Highway. It's a very impressive sight. All the other flying insects disappear, either from being eaten or from hiding.

Keith
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 08:41 PM

We've had that happen twice. A hundred or more of the big dragon flies with the green eyes flying around our back yard. They stay about 20 minutes and they're all gone. It is very cool to watch.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by gregh
I hate dragon flies. They sure do a number on my virgin queens when they go out on there mating flights this time of year.

What I was thinking, too. I see them hovering over my hives certain times of the year.
Posted By: Wptourist

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 10:23 PM

The deer flies are very bad this year. When they start following me around I walk to the edge of the woods and watch the dragonflies have at it. I have been putting branches in the pond for the dragonflies to lay their eggs.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Dragonflies... - 07/14/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
For the last two years, sometime in early Fall, we get thousands of large dragonflies for a few days. Usually there are no dragonflies here. I think they may come from a very small pond across the State Highway. It's a very impressive sight. All the other flying insects disappear, either from being eaten or from hiding.

Keith

I have also witnessed this, very cool! I've also seen it with purple martins once in my backyard.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums