Home

Alone

Posted By: Deerhunter51

Alone - 07/16/21 01:48 AM

Anyone just watch that little girl pull an old Newhouse #6 bear trap out of the brush?? If that wasn’t staged it was the find of the whole series.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 01:51 AM

I saw it! Did not look staged.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 01:52 AM

A trap in the woods and not even anchored down that seems odd as chicken lips.

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 02:02 AM

I found an old pile of Newhouse 4’s along a creek once, like someone just walked off and left them a long time ago. That one she found was in good enough shape you could read the pan though.
Posted By: cwilson

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
Anyone just watch that little girl pull an old Newhouse #6 bear trap out of the brush?? If that wasn’t staged it was the find of the whole series.

I agree 100% about it being staged. I said the same thing to my wife when it happened.

And on the Mountain Men show just before, Tom had 3 beaver which was $1500 worth of fur. I need to sell to his market!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 03:25 PM

From all I have seen and heard of the Alone show I don't think it "stages" anything. But I admit it was surprising to see what great condition that trap was in. My question is since you can use anything you find....will she start trapping with it?

One further comment on this year's show: On the point of pure best use of your resources, wouldn't the guy that got the deer have been better served to have eaten those brains than smear them all over a deer skin? Lots of fat/calories in brain tissue.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 03:36 PM

None of the past contestants ever even suggest anything is staged, it is one of the few shows I watch assuming it was not

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 03:45 PM

I wonder what the collector value of a trap like that is?
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 03:48 PM

I haven’t watched this episode yet. Sents she found a bear trap! And she try’s to trap with it and catches a bear! What well she do? This might get interesting!!
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:01 PM

Hint:
100% of what's on all "survival" shows, including Alone, is staged.
100% staged drama just like any movie or tv show.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
None of the past contestants ever even suggest anything is staged, it is one of the few shows I watch assuming it was not

Ever hear of a "nondisclosure" clause in a contract? They can't say certain things or they'll be sued into homelessness.

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:06 PM

If reality was a plain cupcake the producers will add the sprinkles would be my take on it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
From all I have seen and heard of the Alone show I don't think it "stages" anything. But I admit it was surprising to see what great condition that trap was in. My question is since you can use anything you find....will she start trapping with it?

One further comment on this year's show: On the point of pure best use of your resources, wouldn't the guy that got the deer have been better served to have eaten those brains than smear them all over a deer skin? Lots of fat/calories in brain tissue.

BP,when times get tough you can eat a brain tanned hide.Some fur traders and natives in the north resorted to eating their moccassins on occasion..
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Originally Posted by Leftlane

Ever hear of a "nondisclosure" clause in a contract? They can't say certain things or they'll be sued into homelessness.

You might be right- thanks for ruinin it for me LOL
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
I haven’t watched this episode yet. Sents she found a bear trap! And she try’s to trap with it and catches a bear! What well she do? This might get interesting!!

If she can set that trap, she don't need it to get a bear. She can just wring his neck.
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 04:36 PM

Saw it. They say the contestants can utilize any items they find from their site (that they didn't bring with them), but they didn't mention if they can keep it!

B.S. and sprinkles aside, I'm still addicted to the show! laugh
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patrice
Saw it. They say the contestants can utilize any items they find from their site (that they didn't bring with them), but they didn't mention if they can keep it!

B.S. and sprinkles aside, I'm still addicted to the show! laugh

I do like to watch the show too. I have to record it and watch it later. Like most of y’all. All these types of shows, I like to see how much b.s. is in them.

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

BP,when times get tough you can eat a brain tanned hide.Some fur traders and natives in the north resorted to eating their moccassins on occasion..

I'm sure that is true but will he get the same caloric value as when the brains were fresh?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 07:46 PM

Maybe he was worried about CWD.

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 08:04 PM

BP,when times get tough you can eat a brain tanned hide.Some fur traders and natives in the north resorted to eating their moccassins on occasion..[/quote]
I'm sure that is true but will he get the same caloric value as when the brains were fresh?[/quote]

Good question-is there less caloric value in smoked fish as compared to fresh? I dont know.
Posted By: okcattrapper

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Hint:
100% of what's on all "survival" shows, including Alone, is staged.
100% staged drama just like any movie or tv show.

I can guarantee you, Alone is the one show that isn't staged. Not saying they don't add some audio (animal sounds). But the show itself isn't staged. A friend of mine won season 7 he said it is 100% the real deal.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Alone - 07/16/21 09:04 PM

I thought it was a #5 SN Kenwood...

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 12:51 AM

You are correct, it was a #5, Kenwood pan. Had to play it again on the big tv - looked bigger the first time the way she was holding it close to the camera. Sure would like to get a closer look at the springs..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Yep
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 01:34 PM

It could have been left, the steel in those would last a long time under the right conditions. Low humidity being one. The trap would have been attached to a log for a drag, so being unattached isn’t a problem. My question is if she found it did she get to keep it.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 03:22 PM

The drama. Let's have a panic attack because we got lost. Only snowed the last night and the only tracks to follow are the ones you made. A couple of the contestants are legit, but where do they get the rest of the whiny, lazy bums?????? Get some real contestants for once.

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 05:28 PM

I've seen the #6 and I doubt she could have held one up...Those wondering if she will be able to use the trap, I'd say she'd need to look around for the setting claps...You don't set those over your knee...
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 05:29 PM

Below is a link to the ALONE segment showing the finding of the bear trap.

https://play.history.com/shows/alone/season-8/episode-7

The bear trap is found at 7min 38 seconds into the episode- The trap pan is shown a 8 min 14 seconds.

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Yep

Having trapped bear with that sized trap before, I can tell you that you don't carry them around like you do fox traps...So if someone was bear trapping many years ago,it took great effort to get that trap to such a remote site. So stashing it for the next season might have been just what the trapper did...Perhaps he never made it back in for the next season...

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 06:08 PM

I stashed gear along a River before when beaver trapping and gear in the cat hills I still do but laying gear on a trail on flat ground would not be the way to go but that’s my opinion. I find brush piles, fallen trees odd trees to place a stash, no way a guy could find that trap in the ferns if they were up or other growth.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Alone - 07/17/21 06:11 PM

They pick those type of people on purpose to have a bit of drama on the show. The producers know pretty much who Is going to tap before they even get started.

Once they start talking about family you know It won't be long before they tap out.

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 12:18 AM

You don't set those over your knee, but a smart contestant could surely figure out how to make a makeshift setter for them with wire and paracord in their kits.

From what I understand they are not allowed to molest the bears per local game regulations so I'm not sure what she could possibly set it for.

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 12:23 AM

You don't set those over your knee, but a smart contestant could surely figure out how to make a makeshift setter for them with wire and paracord in their kits.

From what I understand they are not allowed to molest the bears per local game regulations so I'm not sure what she could possibly set it for.

beaver.
A lot of the old timers used to remove one spring from bear traps and set them for beaver.A lot of the old beartraps and wolftraps that are found in the bush and at old trapping cabins often only have one spring-they were used for beaver.

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 12:34 AM

The one downside of Alone is they have to abide by all the game regulations. Can't kill bears, can't kill squirrels (considered a protected furbearer) et etc. Doesn't look like there are any beaver to be had regulation or no.
Posted By: tucker13

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 12:46 AM

The one downside of Alone is they have to abide by all the game regulations. Can't kill bears, can't kill squirrels (considered a protected furbearer) et etc. Doesn't look like there are any beaver to be had regulation or no.

yet non residents are required to be accompanied by a guide outfitter for big game so not sure how the deer was allowed to be taken.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 01:21 AM

Would be interesting to know what the story is with that trap. I’ve found about a dozen traps here and there. Some appeared to be wired to trees before being pulled out. 6 Triumphs in 1 pile once!
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 02:31 AM

And Mick Dodge was real too. LOL
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 04:02 AM

There was an old fellow that was a customer of mine that trapped bear near here when he was a young fellow. He'd actually made a bear trap because he couldn't afford to buy one. He somehow welded it together. The springs were from either a Model A or Model T, I forget which. After the last time he used it he stashed it in a spot deep in the swamp so he wouldn't have to lug it home and back. Than a couple months later a little thing happened in Pearl Harbor and he inlisted in the Marines. It was about 4 years before he made it back to set the trap.....it was gone. Then, about 45 years later, he found his trap in a small local museum! Seems it was donated by another old-timer. When he asked for it back, he was denied because he couldn't prove it was his. He was bummed out big time. The guy that donated it had died years earlier.
The bear he caught he got a $15 Missaukee Co. bounty for, plus the dressed carcass he sold to the Lake City Hotel for $50 each. That $65 for each bear happened to match the salary his bear trapping mentor was paid per month to herd sheep for a local sheep ranch. They were targeting sheep killers. He used the proceeds from his bear trapping to buy a 40 acre chunk of cut-over ground and built a shack on it to live in. He spent the rest of his life living in that neighborhood and passed away in his 80's. To say that old guy was interesting to talk to is a bit of an understatement. His WW2 stories were enough to make a movie from. He witnessed the flag going up on Mt. Suribachi first hand.

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 04:12 AM

I love cool stories like that. Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 07:41 PM

I love cool stories like that. Thanks for sharing it.

You bet, Beaverpeeler. This old guy was a one-of-a-kind. He had an equally neat wife. I believe she is still living. They were married about a zillion years too. High school sweethearts....nope, they married 4 days after they met! Together they built a little "village" on their place....it had all manner of buildings.....sheriff office, one-room school, trapper's cabin, etc., etc. One room of one building was nothing but the WW2 stuff he sent or brought home from the Pacific. He had a smallish wooden canoe hanging from the rafters in one building of personal memorabilia. It's significance was simply that he'd paddled 11 diferrent moose out of the Ontario Bush in that canoe. Just plain interesting folks. They gave tours of their "village" to many dozens of classes of school children from all over the place. I wish I would have sat him down and recorded his stories instead of just standing there with my mouth open!
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Alone - 07/18/21 07:56 PM

They don’t make many men like that anymore. I was friends with a WWI vet. I was 14 yrs old. He was 80. He told amazing life experience stories. Like you I stood there with my mouth open eek laugh
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Alone - 07/22/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter51

I just talked with Rose about that trap. She did find it, as was shown on the show. She took it with her, but they made her take it back and put it right where she found it.

Re: Alone - 07/22/21 10:09 PM

I think I would have whip marks all over my body before I voluntarily did that! LOL
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Alone - 07/22/21 10:12 PM

She was camped on a registered Trapline. She said she was going to try and contact the person who's Trapline it is and ask if she could buy that trap. It meant a lot to her.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Alone - 07/22/21 10:43 PM

I hope she gets it! If she doesn't and can get the GPS coordinates, I can see a Trapperman reality show..."Race to the Trap"!

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums