Home

Ways to cook catfish besides frying

Posted By: larrywaugh

Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 03:17 PM

My girlfriend is on a low carb diet and wont eat fried food. Has anybody done catfish without frying it. If so how did you do it and how was it?
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 03:22 PM

The 2nd best way I have had it is in a sauce picante. 3rd is baked in the oven.
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 03:56 PM

I like to grill catfish, and cook it this way often. Cut the fillets into steak sized chunks, for even cooking. Drizzle olive oil on pieces and season to your liking. I season the fish just like I would deer steak.

You want a hot grill, with clean grates. Use tongs and dip a folded paper towel into oil, then rub across the grates this will prevent sticking.

Put the fish on the grill, after a bit you can see the lower part of the fish change a different shade of white. Flip the fish, cook until done.

If the fish sticks to the grill, you either skipped oiling the grates or tried to flip the fish to soon.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 03:57 PM

Smoked Catfish and Catfish Chowder
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by HOYT archery
I like to grill catfish, and cook it this way often. Cut the fillets into steak sized chunks, for even cooking. Drizzle olive oil on pieces and season to your liking. I season the fish just like I would deer steak.

You want a hot grill, with clean grates. Use tongs and dip a folded paper towel into oil, then rub across the grates this will prevent sticking.

Put the fish on the grill, after a bit you can see the lower part of the fish change a different shade of white. Flip the fish, cook until done.

If the fish sticks to the grill, you either skipped oiling the grates or tried to flip the fish to soon.

I use these, and spray oil them first to grill fish...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:27 PM

Poached fish with butter (you can skip the butter if your worried about fat) and a small amount of green onions is excellent.Must be careful to not overcook it doesnt take long to poach.Firm fish like sturgeon are excellent poached.But all fish is great poached,if done right.large fish can also be baked(in coals or in an oven).
Smoked is another favorite.I like kippered fish also but I like salt.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
My girlfriend is on a low carb diet and wont eat fried food. Has anybody done catfish without frying it. If so how did you do it and how was it?

Get a new girl friend! Just kidding. We grill it or bake. Put in a red sauce, Over rice is very good!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:48 PM

I've poached it with good results.
Posted By: Cootswatter

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:51 PM

We are Keto at my house, and we use a light coat of Brown Rice Flour and Dano's Red Seasoning spray with olive oil and bake until golden. Really good!!!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:58 PM

Bake them. I like to eat my fish meals without any breading, or sauces etc. that cover the taste of the fish I eat. Wife, not so much.

Bryce
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 04:58 PM

Air fryer is pretty good
Posted By: charles

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 05:08 PM

Fish stew is good with catfish, I’d bet.

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 05:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think we can use some of your ideas and make something good.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 05:14 PM

I grill catfish on the coals from mulberry wood. I just cut the head off, remove the guts and leave the skin on. I score the catfish deeply, about every half inch, to let the heat in. I usually use Tony Chachere's, Slap Your Mama or Old Bay as seasoning. I rub the seasoning deep into the scores. The skin pulls off easily once the catfish is cooked. The skin keeps the meat together and keeps it from drying out to much.

Keith
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 05:18 PM

We smoke flathead bellies in a pan with seasoning and butter. After the smoke has gotten to it for a couple of hours cover the dish so it dose not dry out and cook until it falls apart with a fork. Takes about 5 hours total at 225.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 05:39 PM

We love it smoked!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 06:01 PM

Best catfish I've ate was channel cat about 10" long...wrapped in aluminum foil with butter and salt and pepper and cooked close to a campfire. Catfish get a layer of fat on the outside of the meat when they start getting big. It is rancid stuff.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Best catfish I've ate was channel cat about 10" long...wrapped in aluminum foil with butter and salt and pepper and cooked close to a campfire. Catfish get a layer of fat on the outside of the meat when they start getting big. It is rancid stuff.

Gary, we call that the red meat. It gets filleted off and also the lateral line is the same fatty meat and needs trimmed off. After all the red or yellow meat is trimmed you are left with some fine tasting fish, even the big ones. wink That red meat also cans up just like carp for coon bait. I have used it many times when carp was not available. I decided to try the red meat one year as I hate wasting stuff, turns out it smells like and works just as good as the canned carp. Maybe I should explain that Grandma always had jars of canned carp in the cellar that my brothers and I would raid for coon bait. It works extremely well and now I can carp or the catfish red meat for that purpose. Just use a bit extra salt to help keep from freezing as easily.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 06:39 PM

I discovered that red meat one year when I was smoking catfish and that layer of nasty stuff blistered up and separated itself off the real meat. After that was removed I had some good eating.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 06:59 PM

Look up a recipe for blackened cat fish.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 07:45 PM

I smoke it over Cherry wood. Put the fillets in the fridge over night in brown sugar and salt water mix then smoke over Cherry. Everyone loves it.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
The 2nd best way I have had it is in a sauce picante...

I bet that's tasty. I never had catfish that way, but have done it with other fish.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 09:29 PM

I grill the bigger ones and small ones blackened
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 09:30 PM

I have made it Veracruz stile, similar to piquant sauce. I think the sauce over powers the fish some what, but it is very good.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by HOYT archery

I use these, and spray oil them first to grill fish...

[Linked Image]

This is how I grill it. I eat it almost weekly.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 11:07 PM

We cold smoke the big ones. Cut them in 8 to 10 inch long pieces, brine, put in smoker with a board on top of the pieces with a couple bricks on top. Helps slowly squeeze out a little moisture from the bigger ones while smoking at 140° to 180°F for 12 to 15 hours
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/19/21 11:15 PM

Use either 3/4" inch fillets or slice bigger catfish to 3/4" slabs. Melt a 1/4 stick of butter in microwavable glass container.
Place the fillets on the melted butter, and flip them to coat both sides. I season with Old Bay seasoning and salt and pepper. Nuke it on high in the microwave for 5 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakey. No flipping requires.
This method surprisingly replicates a commercial grade broiler. (Most household broilers do not get hot enough to properly broil fish decently.)
Man does it turn out nice!

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 01:02 AM

We seasoned some fillets tonite and put them on the grill. I thought they turned out well.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 01:57 AM

Air fryer? Or, fish tacos maybe.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 01:59 AM

Grilled, baked, broiled, cajun seasoning, lemon and dill as garnish
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 02:38 AM

Slice 1/4-3/8” thick. I like them seasoned with lemon pepper and a dab of Dijon mustard. Bake or broiled but be careful not to overcook
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I smoke it over Cherry wood. Put the fillets in the fridge over night in brown sugar and salt water mix then smoke over Cherry. Everyone loves it.

Brown sugar aint exactly part of a low carb diet.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 01:51 PM

Another vote for smoked .....especially flathead! Melt in your mouth. Dang, made myself hungry!
Posted By: run

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 02:11 PM

This thread makes me hungry.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 08:08 PM

I used 4 of these in a smoked catfish chowder and served the rest with cream cheese and crackers. Good stuff. Cup of brown sugar, Cup of salt to gallon of water. Soak fish skin on over night. Smoke with skin side down until they look like pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ways to cook catfish besides frying - 07/20/21 11:18 PM

Those look great.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums