Home

smoke from western wildfires?

Posted By: whtwtr79

smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:11 AM

Our local meteorologist says all the haze we see is smoke from the wildfires out west, Oregon, Washington, Montana and anywhere else. I've been pretty skeptical because that smoke would have to cross the Rockies, great plains, and great lakes. Surely it would have dissipated by now. Driving home today, it certainly looked like smoke having watched many sunsets filtered through the smoke of our own wildfires. Our sunsets have been absolutely amazing for the past few days. Thoughts?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:16 AM

Dont forget BC, Alberta, Manitoba, NW Ontario adding that smoke.
We are in a major drought up here, so one fire creates thunderheads which create more lightning strikes.= more fires
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:18 AM

It's smoke. Its following the jet stream.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:21 AM

It is smoke from out here . If you see a Doppler map sat map , the jet stream is indeed blowing it from many fires accumulated, add Idaho and BC has a bunch going too. The stream actually gets swept up and over from the currents on the western Rocky Mtn. front , on over the top and pushed to acceleration down the eastern slopes, as well as high into the atmosphere and straight on over.

Alaska actually gets smoke from Siberia.

So yes it has accumulated. Lots of fires out in the western regions...though there are rains coming in and cooler temps which is helping .

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:28 AM

Wow! That's crazy. Our wildfires are so small in comparison. When I was in college, I joined and trained with a wildland fire crew from central PA. I was hoping it would be my ticket west. It wasn't. I did get to go to North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. It was a good experience either way.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:31 AM

The smoke from the big fire in southern oregon can be tracked from space. Think what the smoke is like out here.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:33 AM

I was just going to say, you think it's bad there??? I bet our visibility is under 5mi. Most years we have worse smoke but not this early.

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:36 AM

The smoke just looks like a constant fog here. Our wildfire season is done. There will be a few small fires in the fall, then lots of fires in the spring. with a mostly hardwood forest, the fires here are not very intense.
Posted By: gcs

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 08:51 AM

I was thinking there was something in the haze as the moon last night was orange, not on the horizon either...
Posted By: vermontster

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 09:07 AM

I could see it yesterday looked like it was hazy from humidity.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 10:47 AM

We have smoke from the fires in NY. It was sunny yesterday but all haze.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:06 AM

The haze from the western wildfires smoke is causing spectacular sunrises and sunsets in south eastern Pennsylvania.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:13 AM

It is so thick in WI that their was an air quality warning for the entire state for the first time in history yesterday.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:44 AM

Same for Manitoba the air quality.....5X recommended rate for outdoor activity

The amount of carbon released surpasses the guidelines for CO2 emissions for the entire year for both countries.

The smoke was so thick that the weather temp forecast was off 10*f to the cooler side.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 12:23 PM

It was so bad here yesterday that instead of frying the fish for supper last night, I hung them outside to smoke them instead,
Posted By: run

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 12:47 PM

It's definitely wildfire smoke. Not sure which fire it's coming from.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 12:52 PM

Monday it was plainly visible here in MI
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 12:53 PM

Montana is on fire I think in all the different forest, red lodge fire is going stronger again.
But don't worry he pledge not guilty.
Idaho is on fire up where we just camped a month ago.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 01:25 PM

It’s really hazy here in Snow Shoe, Pa.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by whtwtr79
Wow! That's crazy. Our wildfires are so small in comparison. When I was in college, I joined and trained with a wildland fire crew from central PA. I was hoping it would be my ticket west. It wasn't. I did get to go to North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. It was a good experience either way.

I was on the nepa crew for 89 and 90. Idaho the first year and California the 2nd. Almost went to smoke jumper school but my now wife talked me out of it. Got paid well and almost died twice. Should have left that 2nd part out when I told her.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 01:32 PM

Lots of smoke here in Northern Indiana, looks like fog.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 01:50 PM

Last year was the worst wildfire season on record in Oregon. This year is shaping up to be worse as things are way earlier. Much of the wine grapes in western Oregon last year went unsold because of smoke damage. Am hoping we don't have another August - September like last years.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 02:57 PM

I live between 3 different mountain ranges and at best they are a faint outline if they're noticeable at all .

Isn't it a shame to think about how many homes could of been built from the timber that is burned up each year .
We need the timber company's back in the woods logging again !
Allan
Posted By: Boco

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 03:35 PM

Probably the smoke in NY is from the NW ont/northern manitoba fires.
There was a cold air mass pushing down from Hudson/James bay yesterday.
Posted By: tightwad

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 03:58 PM

between the filtered sun from smoke and humidity trouble drying hay
Posted By: Bob

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 06:03 PM

It’s real bad here. At times I can’t see the mountains behind the house, less than two miles away. Walk outside and smells like a campfire everywhere you go.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 06:38 PM

I thought it was fog yesterday until I stepped outside and could smell the smoke. I heard they were even closing some parts of the boundary waters due to fires.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 07:32 PM

Very bad here today
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 07:35 PM

It’s bad up here at Camp in North Central Pennsylvania.

Oh....wait.....never mind....the smoke I smell is from an actual campfire...grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:14 PM

It's clearing off a bit where I am.
Posted By: adam m

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:24 PM

News clip on the radio said there's 85 fires in 13 western states and ny is getting smoke from these fires. I wonder how many fires are going in Canada
Posted By: Boco

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/21/21 11:57 PM

There are 167 fires burning in Northern Ontario with 81 new ones started yesterday from lightning.
Thats a lot of traplines gone.
Posted By: adam m

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/22/21 12:17 AM

Woah
Posted By: warrior

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/22/21 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Last year was the worst wildfire season on record in Oregon. This year is shaping up to be worse as things are way earlier. Much of the wine grapes in western Oregon last year went unsold because of smoke damage. Am hoping we don't have another August - September like last years.

Need to follow the lead of Bamberg, Germany with their Rauchbier aka smoke beer. Famous worldwide but actually resulting from a fire centuries ago that smoked up the malt.
Posted By: charles

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/22/21 01:37 AM

Hazy in Western NC mountains today. News says it is smoke from Oregon fires.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/22/21 01:49 AM

like putting dye in the water, the smoke reminds of how interconnected our natural earth is. Sorta like pushing down on a partially filled water balloon it just pops up in another place. The eastern USA has three major weather making systems, they get pressure systems from the west and from the southeast and northeast. Most of that is not violent but it can be. The higher heat is causing the jet stream to change and that is a real weather driver for much of the USA. As much as we complain and talk about hot and dry which is a very costly thing for us, it is the winter weather that has changed the most, but we don't pay much attention to that as many are inside, there are not floods in the winter and not anything really growing to watch burn or die.
The spring wheat crop of the Dakotas and southern Canadian prairie provinces will be very, very much altered and so much it is raising the winter wheat prices as there will be some real changes as spring wheat is utilized in different products than say hard or soft red winter wheat.
Bryce
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: smoke from western wildfires? - 07/22/21 02:56 AM

Smoked up here pretty good.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums