Home

2021 convention IOWA

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 11:09 AM

well no one has started a thread so i will please add any of your own pic , and comments , so far a great trip , the Iowa [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
guys are working there butts off so it will be a great show , everyone we met ,have been very friendly , here are some pic , a very nice veteran's memorial, and our group going around site see [bar hopping ]
Posted By: DWC

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 11:49 AM

Good friend of mine is a cop in Spencer. He said hes never seen anyone shut off so much of the fairground to get ready for an event, even the “worlds largest county fair”. Makes me wonder if i can walk this thing in a long day?
Posted By: Stewie

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 12:30 PM

Headed that way in a couple hours. I'm tired of watching the corn and beans wilt during the day here. I hope it's a little cooler there than it is here.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 12:35 PM

it's pretty warm here too, 47 this morning back home,66 here now , low will be in the 70s for Friday and Saturday
Posted By: yote_trapper20

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 01:15 PM

Heading that way early AM tomorrow and staying through Friday. I plan for two long days there but will see how long the 6 year old can last.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 01:43 PM

Haven't went exploring much yet. Got in yesterday afternoon and set up camp. Bout to leave to get some golf in before exploring the grounds.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 03:50 PM

Picking up my neighbor and heading out early tomorrow morning as well. Really looking forward to this meet. Anyone know if there will be any vendors there selling xl live traps? Seems with this drought our raccoons have gotten super strong and nasty and not afraid to take it out on my cheap traps. Safe travels everyone!
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 03:59 PM

We're on day 2 of travel. Our hotel is in estherville though.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 04:13 PM

Will be there all day Friday!!!!!!!!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 04:29 PM

Wish I could have been there. Sure do like the nationals. All pictures appreciated. Especially the tail gate area.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 04:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Playing Okoboji Golf Course today. Bout 20 miles north of the convention
Posted By: run

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 04:54 PM

Looks like a great golf course.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 04:57 PM

GOLF?????? Really???

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 05:24 PM

Here I was hoping that was the camp ground with all those nice shade trees!

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Here I was hoping that was the camp ground with all those nice shade trees!

I've claimed my tree at the camp site

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by run
Looks like a great golf course.

It's a nice course. Greens are three times faster than I'm used too.
Posted By: possum63

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 06:55 PM

[Linked Image]

Just cooking away
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Good friend of mine is a cop in Spencer. He said hes never seen anyone shut off so much of the fairground to get ready for an event, even the “worlds largest county fair”. Makes me wonder if i can walk this thing in a long day?

Plenty of walking, should of brang my wheeler.
Ms. V wishes she had it too now.
I need the exercise , she needs new joints.
Was just thinking of her.
Plenty of room for sure

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/21/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
GOLF?????? Really???

Pasture POOL laugh

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 12:17 AM

For those looking to stock up on cheap trilene and fireline and usually a lot of other deals, Fishermans outlet is 20 minutes north in Spirit Lake. I go once a year and usually spend more than i mean to. I justify it by telling myself how much money im losing by NOT spending the money.

Also, is there a map anywhere of where the vendors are at?

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
Originally Posted by 20scout
Picking up my neighbor and heading out early tomorrow morning as well. Really looking forward to this meet. Anyone know if there will be any vendors there selling xl live traps? Seems with this drought our raccoons have gotten super strong and nasty and not afraid to take it out on my cheap traps. Safe travels everyone!

See the guys at Bethels. They have a live trap you’ll love. Heavy duty and I’d get the one with a back door that opens. You’ll see for yourself if you get there early enough and there’s one left. Good luck!

Thanks!
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 01:55 AM

We've made it to our hotel in estherville.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
For those looking to stock up on cheap trilene and fireline and usually a lot of other deals, Fishermans outlet is 20 minutes north in Spirit Lake. I go once a year and usually spend more than i mean to. I justify it by telling myself how much money im losing by NOT spending the money.

Also, is there a map anywhere of where the vendors are at?

Should be in the program. I haven't seen one yet though
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 03:42 AM

Maps of the vendor buildings is in the printed program and also as a PDF file on the NTA website. The vendor list is alphabetical and shows space # and building name.

But there was a change after the programs were printed. All vendors listed in the Grandstand were moved to the Pavilion which is shown on the fairgrounds map as the Livestock Pavilion.

I understand that this also required some rearranging of vendors in the Pavilion as well but not sure how many were affected. So if the vendor list shows Pavilion or Grandstand, they are all in the Pavilion.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
We're on day 2 of travel. Our hotel is in estherville though.

I live on north end of eville
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 04:08 AM

We're spending the night in Rochester, should be there sometime tomorrow morning ... depends on how early the misses can get up and functioning.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
Originally Posted by DWC

Plenty of walking, should of brang my wheeler.
Ms. V wishes she had it too now.
I need the exercise , she needs new joints.
Was just thinking of her.
Plenty of room for sure

Clay county fair is huge, ten , fifteen thousand visitors a day

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:09 AM

On my way shortly. Should get there hopefully by around 8 as there are a few items I want to pick up I hear are in short supply. Depends on how quickly I can get the 6 year old up and moving. I didn’t plan very good as I want to pick up some Hellfire but will have the wife’s vehicle.
Posted By: MoSam

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:47 AM

My daughter and I made it to Spencer Wednesday evening. Looking forward to a fun convention. We will be in the tailgating area, one of her hobbies is baking so she wanted to bring some cookies and bread along to sell. Stop by and say hello, always good to put a face with a name!! Have a good time everyone!
Posted By: lindner115

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by yote_trapper20
On my way shortly. Should get there hopefully by around 8 as there are a few items I want to pick up I hear are in short supply. Depends on how quickly I can get the 6 year old up and moving. I didn’t plan very good as I want to pick up some Hellfire but will have the wife’s vehicle.

That's funny! Better bring some electrical tape and tape it to the exterior!
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 11:44 AM

I will be leaving tonight around 1:00AM. I will be i Spencer Friday Afternoon.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 11:59 AM

here are some more pic. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swifty

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 01:14 PM

[quote=yote_trapper20] On my way shortly. Should get there hopefully by around 8 as there are a few items I want to pick up I hear are in short supply. Depends on how quickly I can get the 6 year old up and moving. I didn’t plan very good as I want to pick up some Hellfire but will have the wife’s vehicle. [/quote

Someone at trapping conventions should sell 50 cal ammo cans for folks to take home skunky lures in wive's vehicles. Bigger types (it is either 20mm or 40mm cans I think) for gallon jugs of bait and urine. That is what I bring for that purpose. grin

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Swifty
[quote=yote_trapper20] On my way shortly. Should get there hopefully by around 8 as there are a few items I want to pick up I hear are in short supply. Depends on how quickly I can get the 6 year old up and moving. I didn’t plan very good as I want to pick up some Hellfire but will have the wife’s vehicle. [/quote

Someone at trapping conventions should sell 50 cal ammo cans for folks to take home skunky lures in wive's vehicles. Bigger types (it is either 20mm or 40mm cans I think) for gallon jugs of bait and urine. That is what I bring for that purpose. grin

Last NTA I was at, escanaba, I did good to find one ammo can
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 03:32 PM

Please don't tell me that's the tailgating area. I'm already sad that I didn't get to to go. When I think of all the times I had to set up on asphalt. [Linked Image]

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 08:26 PM

there is a guy with ammo cans , seems like a good turn out today , [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and a visit with boss smile
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
[Linked Image]
and a visit with boss smile

Now there's a Skeeter Pee smile.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:07 PM

I tried visiting with the boss but my 6 year old was having none of it and was pretty much done with the long day he has had.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:14 PM

You should have given your 6 year old a sip of skeeter pee. That might have taken care of him for a couple of hours. LOL
Posted By: Northof50

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:22 PM

Does skeeter pee always turn people sideways...just asking for a friend.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:22 PM

Just got back to my fathers house after spending the day. This is one jolly whomper of a convention. Hope everyone makes it here safe and has a great time.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 09:23 PM

Excellent photos. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: rbsheadache

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:19 PM

anyone have a picture of the seminars? the NTA site is not working and I would like to know what to go see tomorrow. Thanks!

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
Just got back to my fathers house after spending the day. This is one jolly whomper of a convention. Hope everyone makes it here safe and has a great time.

Was my first NTA National so have nothing to compare it to but I agree. My only “complaint” if I had one was that they moved some of the vendors around so there weren’t in the spots listed. Just a minor inconvenience is all.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:31 PM

Having a great time so far. My bank account won't like me in the morning but oh-well!

Lee, was great to meet you and put a face with the name. Really looking forward to trying out my new knife too! Thanks!!

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/22/21 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by rbsheadache
anyone have a picture of the seminars? the NTA site is not working and I would like to know what to go see tomorrow. Thanks!

The NTA thread that's pinned has the demo schedule. Schedule is also in the program.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 12:18 AM

[Linked Image]
Scored found a book I've been searching for for some time .

Like going thru the tailgater's
Posted By: Joe krogman

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 01:10 AM

Marty from the mountain man show is there, he looks a little different with out the ice in his beard.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 11:38 AM

I believe the turn out the first day was real good , the fbu banquet was a sellout last night ,food was good and i believe that they made good money ,for the fight against the anti

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 11:52 AM

Did anyone happen to get a nice picture of coonman 220?
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 12:09 PM

I wish I could be there. I had an opportunity to go, but I just happened to have 3 doctor appointments in 3 consecutive days this week. I was going to go with Kip Feroce, he is in the tailgating section selling his handmade turkey calls. If you see him tell him Nittany Lion wishes he were there.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 07:41 PM

very hot here today frown
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 07:57 PM

It's Iowa in July and surrounded by millions of acres of corn, that is expected. You can thank that humidity on the corn.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 09:07 PM

Did groenwold have any market updates at pizza party ? Ya really hot an worse tommorow on sat , this heat is terrible at work an on everything bad

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 09:13 PM

At least you were able to make it, Dave.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 09:31 PM

Picked up a new reader [Linked Image]

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by run

Not there today, plan on it tommorow, don't like heat index an heat warnings , that ruins some it, shouldn't be problem get there back, main concern
Posted By: teepee2

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner

It's Iowa in July and surrounded by millions of acres of corn, that is expected. You can thank that humidity on the corn.

A acer of corn can put 3000 to 4000 gals of water into the air a day

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 10:28 PM

It's called summer time. Stop blaming the corn for your problems.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 10:31 PM

Feels like home.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Feels like home.

Which part? All the corn or no trees? grin
Posted By: BigJoe.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/23/21 10:48 PM

MTPCA Convention next month, it will be a comfortable 70 degrees. (I hope)

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Feels like home.

Which part? All the corn or no trees? grin

Muggy heat
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:22 AM

How hot was it there today? It was 94 here in my part of MN.-also very muggy.
Tom
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:33 AM

I helped a fellow from New Hampshire unload on Wednesday who asked me "What in the world do you guys do with all this corn?!"
Posted By: Badger23

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Originally Posted by run

Not there today, plan on it tommorow, don't like heat index an heat warnings , that ruins some it, shouldn't be problem get there back, main concern

Are you afraid of not getting back home with the Colorado?
Posted By: Badger23

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by run
Did anyone happen to get a nice picture of coonman 220?

I'd like to see pictures of his truck that we hear so much about. Preferably from multiple angels and a couple pics underneath of the fluid film coating.

Coonman don't take offense either it's in fun but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see pictures of your truck.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 02:36 AM

I nearly FROZE to death in Iowa at a FTA convention in June one time!

Glad ya'll enjoying this sticky southern humidity! It's NASTY, lol.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 03:06 AM

WAS HOT but not Hutchinson hot LOL

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper

57%, isn't bad

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 03:52 AM

Did that one time going to the Minnesota Trappers convention in Barnum. Left Iowa it was 97 and as humid as today, got there and tent camped with no blankets and froze. Got down to upper 40s with no humidity. Had most of my shirts on and a sweatshirt. Luckily my sister and BIL were coming up the next day and brought me my blankets and sleeping bag. Wasn't ready for that 50 degree weather change.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 04:42 AM

When do gates open tomorrow? Had a family member get sick last night so didnt make it today. Is it worth goin on a saturday or does a lot of stuff shut down around noon?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
When do gates open tomorrow? Had a family member get sick last night so didnt make it today. Is it worth goin on a saturday or does a lot of stuff shut down around noon?

Every convention I've attended a lot of, but not all, dealers and tailgaters were packing/packed up by noon on Saturday. Get there early and get your list bought is my advice.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 04:56 AM

Thanks adc. Might just do the ordering thing. I kinda figured thats how it is
Posted By: sneaky

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by DWC

Every convention I've attended a lot of, but not all, dealers and tailgaters were packing/packed up by noon on Saturday. Get there early and get your list bought is my advice.

Schedule in the program says convention closes Sunday at noon. There's a full day of demos scheduled on Saturday as well. Dealer buildings close at 6pm on Saturday. I've got my list ready. My wallet will cry tomorrow.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:30 AM

Should mention it says vendor tear down at 8am Sunday, convention closed at noon

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:37 AM

The dealers have a long way home and they have been there for a lot of days, by noon Saturday they figure the few sales they may make after that will not off-set their desire to get home. I have been a dealer and I know how they feel. There will be a few who stick it out til the end but by 2pm tomorrow most will be loaded and headed out.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 06:29 AM

What ADC said is true about a lot of the bigger conventions I’ve been to. It’s sad but true. In my opinion, folks that come on Saturday deserve the full convention experience, not half empty dealer buildings.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 12:10 PM

had a fish fry for some good friends yesterday, [Linked Image]
the crew getting ready [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
we had around 30 people come and go , we had about 300 piece of blue gill , and lots of cold drinks smile
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:05 PM

I'd like better look at your fryer set up.. Looks like a dandy for big group.. I've gone back to my big cast iron pans on my LP burner for smaller fish fries.

Mac
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 01:13 PM

Was that in Dubuque, IA back in 1991?

I remember that one had cool nights.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:04 PM

Back in the day it was common for conventions to run until Sunday noon. Usually there was a dance Saturday night, come Sunday morning most vendors and tailaters were still around and they usually had some sort of a church service. Trappers complained that some of the vendors left Saturday night or early Sunday morning, but there were still a fair amount that stayed until noon. Saturday was a big day for the trappers and vendors. As time marched on it soon became common practice for the vendors and tailgaters to pack things up around noon or shortly thereafter. The vendors claimed there were not many customers and the customers complained there were not many vendors. Years ago I did not start buying my supplies until about noon or a bit later on a Saturday, my thought process was I got better deals late in the convention week. Now days if I waited until noon or a bit later I would have slim pickings. I do feel for the trappers that can only attend a convention on Saturday, they don't have much time to do their shopping. I wish all vendors would follow the lead of Bogmaster.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:11 PM

Garage sales have followed the same pattern. Used to be on weekends when most didnt work. Now theyre often done by friday evenings.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:22 PM

Nit,you don't know how many times I have been the last vendor to leave a convention. I go to a convention to sell my products,doesn't make much difference to me if I get home on Sunday or Monday,I consider it part of my job.I always figured some trappers had to work on Saturday and couldn't make it till Sunday.
Being the last vendor at a convention has also brought a lot of wrath brought down on my head by trappers coming when I am the only one left--they tend to vent their frustrations on me--for everyone else being gone.
But I do wish I was at the convention right now.
Tom

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:31 PM

I used to work alot of motorcycle swap meets and it was the same there as well.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:38 PM

Kids Cave

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 05:44 PM

My oldest son Ben and grandsons Skyler and Hunter are there today. Wish I was there with them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/24/21 07:54 PM

[Linked Image]

RyLeigh Lord's Kid's Cave trapping demo, flat set!
Very well done young lady!! I hope you get that bobcat this year!!!

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 06:21 AM

It would be better if had time to go to convention on Thurs or especially Fri, was there for not even quite 5 hrs, not far from a 4.5 hr drive from home, long walk from parklot an back but didn't mind that, the heat is what I didn't like, mostly just bought stuff an walk though vender bldg once an got trap supplies, walk thru tailgaters a cpl times, , was plan on stop at gfw booth but couldn't find him in area it say in book was at, probly already gone as sat afternoon, seen 1 coyote demo, although not into coyotes trapping, if any more hot than that, I would not been able hack it, never really talk anyone, was surprised at size Spencer an fairgrounds, nice size decent smaller town, there fair don't happen until mid Sept, I thought that unusual for fair, lot big ponds an smaller lakes for scenery along way,lot nicer town than Cherokee Iowa, on way home not to many hrs ago just after dark , I almost cream a black firebird or Camero when go 70 on 4 lane that didn't even look an drive across road in front me , farthest way from home I ever get as usually never travel that far, it just to dangerous on roads with motorcycle to ride more than now an then as no protection, always deer around at nite in places along roads to, fur prices don't sound like any better last season

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 10:50 AM

You are lucky, Dave. I wish I could have been to the convention.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
[Linked Image]

RyLeigh Lord's Kid's Cave trapping demo, flat set!
Very well done young lady!! I hope you get that bobcat this year!!!

Now...thats just awesome!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 04:19 PM

The Kids Cave was a huge success.
Posted By: martyd

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 04:23 PM

Yes. I wish convention and vendors would’ve been open to at least 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm Sunday. Us folks ( which are many ) can not take off work to attend days during the week. Would have been nice if we could have drove 325 miles Saturday and seen 1/2 of convention Saturday afternoon and other half Sunday am and then drive the 325 miles back home. Maybe some rule changes next year. MD

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by martyd
Yes. I wish convention and vendors would’ve been open to at least 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm Sunday. Us folks ( which are many ) can not take off work to attend days during the week. Would have been nice if we could have drove 325 miles Saturday and seen 1/2 of convention Saturday afternoon and other half Sunday am and then drive the 325 miles back home. Maybe some rule changes next year. MD

If you can figure out how to do that without a revolt from the vendors and the volunteers, let me know. Vendors and volunteers have jobs/businesses to run too . Without them, there is no conventions.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 05:14 PM

Sniper,as a supply dealer,I always considered conventions as part of my job and business,as such,I stay till the end. Thats me,others will argue otherwise.
Tom
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by martyd

Why can't you take time off? Surely you have vacation days?

Why couldn't you leave after work Friday, slept in your car, and spent all day Saturday there? Don't forget that the people running the show have to take vacation, some drive multiple more miles than you do and would maybe like to save some of their vacation time

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Sniper,as a supply dealer,I always considered conventions as part of my job and business,as such,I stay till the end. Thats me,others will argue otherwise.
Tom

I agree everyone should stay, however I full see why they do not. If they stay all day Saturday, that will mean the meager sales they will get on Saturday afternoon will have to offset another night in the hotel, pay their works more hours, and mean they won't get home for likely 24 hrs later. Many use Sunday at home to unpack/repack/rebuild/remake their items for sale, time is money too. The volunteers that put in SOOOO many hours for often over a week, probably appreciate it being slow/basically over by Saturday afternoon too.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 05:37 PM

I like the way Bogmaster thinks. If the convention is advertised to run until the end of the day Saturday the vendors should stay. You don't see a business that has regular hours from 8 to 4 close at noon.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 05:54 PM

Saturdays used to be the biggest day of a convention,the exodus early by many dealers has had a big affect on what Saturdays are now.
I never had to worry about hotel costs or employee wages,as I sleep in my vehicle and work most shows by myself. I have been lucky as friends have covered my booth so I could get a pee break.
But then again,those are just my thoughts and the way I do things.
Tom
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 06:15 PM

A deposit that is not returned if you leave early was tried or proposed
and was met with big resistance at that time.

Does stink for those that want their vaca time for trapping rather than conventing.
Posted By: hippie

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 06:40 PM

Schedule the conventions for Sat, Sunday and Monday then they'll be around on the weekends. laugh
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I like the way Bogmaster thinks. If the convention is advertised to run until the end of the day Saturday the vendors should stay. You don't see a business that has regular hours from 8 to 4 close at noon.

Eventually, if that business doesn't have the financial incentive they deem worthy, they'll start closing at noon. Problem solved.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 07:42 PM

Hats off to the Iowa boys and the NTA for a really good time. We were there Thursday afternoon until just before noon on Saturday. If you do it again in a couple of years, we will be there. Well done folks.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 08:15 PM

Requiring a deposit that is non-refundable if you leave early, won’t work. 2 reasons.

- if it is a small deposit, say $200.00 - dealers will just forfeit it and consider it part of their booth rent or other business expense.

- if it is a large deposit, say $1,000.00 - dealers, especially the small ones, won’t pay it to begin with. They might consider setting up in the tail gate area, when they can leave when they want. And pay less booth/space rent. Or they might not attend the event at all.

Another suggestion has been that if a dealer packs up early, they aren’t allowed back at future events. If this is enforced, after several years you won’t have many dealers.

In my opinion, this entire situation is a No Win.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 08:35 PM

ts just a symptom of the times.
Everyone just thinks of themselves only and couldnt give a crap about anyone else unless their wallet is opened.
Posted By: eedup

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 08:39 PM

The online info says 22-24th. It doesn't say Sunday. This is been a trend for a long time. It's what it is, sorry if you couldn't attend as it was great. I just arrived home.
Posted By: martyd

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 09:07 PM

Bico….. you are 100% correct. I was at Walmart today. Old guy like me a head of me getting ready to check out our own groceries. He said out loud …Now a days customer service means a business only provides a roof over your head so you don’t have to wade mud to buy their product and lights to see the product that they are re-selling to you. And if you are lucky Air condition. When we were going out the door he said he was at a local store 1 hour earlier and he said big sign on Door that said no public bathroom. That is what business is coming too. I can see both sides of the issue but a vendor can not complain if his sales are low because of a low show turn out if vendors are allowed to leave early ( might not catch up to them the first time but if it is a pattern it will ). I set up at gun shows and almost all show promoters tell you that you must stay open till at least 2:00 pm on Sunday on a Friday , Saturday ,Sunday show. Promoter even reminds dealers on loud speaker at 12:00 noon on Sunday’s of the policy. Trapping supplies are a lot like gun shows because they target a buyer that in many cases work Monday through Saturday. Maybe if I am not scheduled to work next year Monday through Saturday I can attend. I am sure every one had a good time. MD
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 09:15 PM

I have put together demos for our show for 14 years now and 3 nationals and this debate always comes up about the conventions really start to see the vendors and the crowds dwindle about an hour after lunch time. Does not make much sense to me to create rules if they are not going to be followed. It also makes scheduling demos much harder, now almost all want a Friday as they know the drill on Saturdays. I am grateful for the vendors that commit to our shows and the attendees as state organizations would not be much without them. It is a big investment to vend at a large show that requires several days away from home as it is for a trapper or family to cover the cost of a couple days and nights away from home. It is good that they do because staying home and ordering from home is far, far cheaper than going. We hear a lot about the rondy deals and the no shipping but if one drives say 4 hours and spends two nights and a couple days with away meals, lodging etc. then not getting a deal and paying shipping and handling is really not expensive at all. Thank God thousands per year attend for the enjoyment they get out of being with friends and like minded people.

Bryce
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
ts just a symptom of the times.
Everyone just thinks of themselves only and couldnt give a crap about anyone else unless their wallet is opened.

Unlike Canada the USA especially IA is a free state where one can come and go as pleased. If you do not like it you just don't have to go or you can order on line. It totally has nothing to do with symptoms of the times other than there seems to be a lot of folks that are wanting to impose their desires on others and then blaming them.

BOZO read what you said and turn it around and you will be right. Lots of folks don't give a crap about others. Especially people who want venders to come early and stay late so everyone can come and go as they wish. Don't care about the venders. Geez what a way to look at things. Shame on venders who sat all week in the heat and wanted to get home. lol, LLL

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 09:27 PM

You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 09:31 PM

Well, this used to be a good thread to come too and see how the convention was going. Now, it’s turned into whining.

Those that are complaining about the days/times etc, how many conventions have you put together? How many hours have you sat behind a booth at a convention? How many of you belong to the NTA, FTA, local trappers organization? How many of you have volunteered to help at these conventions? I get it, it’s hard to attend. Unfortunately, if you can’t get the time off to go, I guess you miss out. I couldn’t attend the NTA due to only having so much vacation time. Oh well, that’s the way it goes.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 10:06 PM

You. start regulating people there with rules and regulationns, you can kiss the big conventions goodbye. I for one, hate mr bigshot telling me what I can and cannot do. I build everything I sell, and thought I would have enough to last till Sat. They had me picked clean by Fri morning. I stayed till three on Sat afternoon to answer questions and to take orders, but if you tried to charge me a fee and make me stay, I would never come in the first place. Don't try to make this like the gov where they want to tell you everything in your life.....it won't fly!
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 10:12 PM

Any more pictures?

Re: 2021 convention IOWA - 07/25/21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper1978
Well, this used to be a good thread to come too and see how the convention was going. Now, it’s turned into whining.

Those that are complaining about the days/times etc, how many conventions have you put together? How many hours have you sat behind a booth at a convention? How many of you belong to the NTA, FTA, local trappers organization? How many of you have volunteered to help at these conventions? I get it, it’s hard to attend. Unfortunately, if you can’t get the time off to go, I guess you miss out. I couldn’t attend the NTA due to only having so much vacation time. Oh well, that’s the way it goes.

If you are directing questions at me I will give you the answers. I never kept track of the hours I sat behind a both at a convention, but I helped a vendor at 7 National conventions. I am a lifetime member of the NTA, I belong to the FTA and I belong to 6 state trappers associations. I have helped at several Pennsylvania State trappers conventions.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums