Home

Photo Phriday 6

Posted By: Gulo

Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 12:19 PM

Good morning/day/evening/whatever. This week's selection will hopefully pique your interest in the outdoor world.

The first is a red fox image taken this week by a trail camera set up on my driveway. Note that he's got a dried toad in his mouth.
[Linked Image]

This one is a photo I took this week of a western terrestrial garter snake (Thamnophis elegans), which surprisingly, is indeed a poisonous snake. However, they have no fangs for delivery, and the toxins are very weak.
[Linked Image]

This third photo this week is a head-scratcher. I was going to include it with a question as to what is it? (No. Not a gelding device.) Instead, I'll spill the beans and tell you it is a photo of beaver external ear bones. I discovered them many years ago. All beavers have them. You'll not see any mention of them in the scientific or popular literature. I'm assuming they are to seal off the ear canals to exclude any water entering the ears when a beaver submerges and folds their ears rearward. Kind of a neat "gee-whiz" discovery. No other mammal has them, as far as I know. I'm calling them the superior and inferior auriculars.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Range

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 12:36 PM

Thank for enlightening us. Interesting that there’s no mention of the beaver ear bones in the literature.
I didn’t get any interesting pictures this week so here’s one from last fall. I don’t know much about bees but I thought this bunch found an interesting spot to live. I had never seen them build on the side of a rock like this.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 12:41 PM

Yeah Range. Very interesting. I've never seen combs put in a place like that either. Fascinating! Thanks for posting that.

Jack
Posted By: Tray

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 01:11 PM

Interesting in the snake, didn't realize they were poisonous.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 01:44 PM

Thanks for pics Gulo, ive seen honey bee combs like that on tree limbs. Dont know why the bees decided to make foundation in the open.

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 01:53 PM

Last summer for his graduation present I took my kid in a Salmon and Halibut fishing trip on the Kenia Peninsula in Alaska. We had a great time and caught a bunch of fish, as it turned out the COVID pandemic was a blessing as far fewer people made the trip up there last summer so it was a little easier to find spots to fish.

Attached picture 1B78D3EB-A9D0-4F77-88ED-B929F15E92BF.jpeg
Attached picture 924E5F1F-9D4E-4A97-A596-6FC3D2498E7B.jpeg
Attached picture 8BDE1607-6A45-4C63-A442-E40215EADF51.jpeg
Attached picture DEA371BE-75C9-4345-B1A5-3F6ACA94D22B.jpeg
Attached picture 84B0195A-7462-4409-A879-A32C217D4960.jpeg
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 03:07 PM

Tray-Nicely done! I did the same with my son when he graduated in 2003. I took a month off work and we packed up my old truck with backpacks, fishing gear, and two kayaks on top and we took off. We traveled and camped in the back of the truck or in a tent all over the great State of Alaska. It was a wonderful trip that is the topic of conversation and memories ever since.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 03:24 PM

Dang Tray- that looks like the trip of a lifetime!

Jack, my grandma's layin hens were dedicated meat eaters when ever a garter snake would slither out into the sun. I always noticed they ate everything except the head and the last 2 or 3 inches below it. It surprises most of us that a garter snake is at all venomous but they knew it. IDK what the life expectancy of those hens would have been but evidently the old one taught the young ones when they passed the torch.

God's creations are fascinating and any man who doesn't realize that early in life must be a mental midget

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 03:46 PM

Moosetrot…I can only imagine those memories! I do know that a week is definitely not long enough to spend in that country.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 04:31 PM

The office and what I get to do for a living

Attached picture 7EFA15DC-EECB-41D0-8085-E3474A0E1E2D.jpeg

Description: .
Attached picture 70AE30C7-1B95-4350-BFC2-BC2A8935B41C.jpeg

Description: .
Attached picture 76074AB0-D2AA-48A1-9CEB-80D4F8BB944C.jpeg
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 04:33 PM

Dunno how to turn sideways pics frown

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 06:33 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: white17

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 08:00 PM

[quote=Gulo]Good morning/day/evening/whatever. This week's selection will hopefully pique your interest in the outdoor world.

The first is a red fox image taken this week by a trail camera set up on my driveway. Note that he's got a dried toad in his mouth.
[Linked Image]

Should a guy expect to find toadstools behind that fox ?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 08:08 PM

3 Fingers. You truly work in a beautiful world
Posted By: MJM

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 08:08 PM

Nice but 3 Fingers. Tray Here is one of those water chickens on its nest.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 08:12 PM

Here's one from my backyaad....it likes the strawberry patches. I have caught this same individual so often, it is entirely tame. Doesn't try anymore to hide or flee...I pick it up and it just calmly ties up my hand and gets warm . He wasn't that way when I first caught him at all, but every time since, he's almost a pet grin

I had no idea that some species are mildly poisonous. Or about the beaver superior and inferior auriculars. Learn something all the time . Thank you, Jack.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 10:17 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morning and afternoon chores

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 10:59 PM

MJM - Mark, the puffin burrow shot is a great one. Thanks!

Sharon - Nice garter snake. It's interesting to me that the species Thamnophis elegans (which it appears is what you've adopted) is dramatically different colored over in the headwaters of the Clearwater, the Joe, and upper Coeur d'Alene, just over the hill from you, and on the "wet" side of the divide. They are very dark and very brown in comparison. The one you've shown is much closer to the color we have down here. Interesting!
[Linked Image]

D.T. (is that for Delirium Tremors?) - Thanks for chiming in. Both those chores you depict are indeed honorable ones. I'm jealous. I have a buddy who makes his own arrows, and wraps them exquisitely with snake skins. Each one is beautifully unique. Ever done anything like that?
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/23/21 11:26 PM

Ive backed bows with rattlesnake skins, but for arrows it seems difficult and also slightly inefficient. The ones i have seen do look amazing though. Im trying to get everything out of these sitka spruce dowels. 11/32”with the back 10” tapered to 5/16” to add a little f.o.c. Then some crest flare to remind me of place and season. Also have two bows going into this season so i have two different spines as well as stumping/grouse arrows(orange) and killing arrows(white). These are ones from last year with a knife may dad made me when i was 1 [Linked Image]

As far as the pike ive been hammering them and the bass every weekend for months. Nothing to big to speak of but always on the fly
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
MJM - Mark, the puffin burrow shot is a great one. Thanks!

Sharon - Nice garter snake. It's interesting to me that the species Thamnophis elegans (which it appears is what you've adopted) is dramatically different colored over in the headwaters of the Clearwater, the Joe, and upper Coeur d'Alene, just over the hill from you, and on the "wet" side of the divide. They are very dark and very brown in comparison. The one you've shown is much closer to the color we have down here. Interesting!
[Linked Image]

D.T. (is that for Delirium Tremors?) - Thanks for chiming in. Both those chores you depict are indeed honorable ones. I'm jealous. I have a buddy who makes his own arrows, and wraps them exquisitely with snake skins. Each one is beautifully unique. Ever done anything like that?

Indeed , the colour variants are so interesting to me too-in any animal in various habitat .

This guy has been here for a few years. The pic was among the first times I caught him. After a few years, I have assumed he was the same one due to his very tame composure when I casually pick him up every summer. All the others are frantic at first when I catch them....so my amature biologist observation notes. I feel this is my own neat experiment....do they remember events ? This one seems to.

To my great dismay, my Gator lizards have been all but absent the past few years. I miss them. They are a thrill for me to find, the young with their skink-like dark tails ...to the big, chunky adults that are so easy to catch, compared to the lightning fast racer lizards I used to run and catch in Florida. I don't know what happened to them. But I keep watching for them always.

Our world....so amazing. Did you know, Jack, that my mother was an assistant professor of biology at Fairbanks U ? Years ago I took a trip into SE AK., and met some log home builders ...who mentioned where they studied. When I told them my mother's name, their expressions glowed and they said they took their biology classes with her help.

Must run in the DNA....my science teachers all told me I needed to go into marine biology after they saw my illustrations of deep sea fish. The ones with lights and big eyes and teeth....I was in a phase then in ink drawings of them.

I soon changed into fur and feathers interests grin

I will always be a biologist at heart....I just put it all into my art. I didn't have someone by my side to encourage me in the tec details.

Thank you, sir Jack, for your enjoyable shares. There are more of us that you may know who appreciate them very much.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 02:03 AM

Gulo That shot came off of Tangik Island, just off Akun. Four of us spent two weeks on Tangik and would skiff over to Poa Island to do research on invasive rabbits. Rabbits were on both Islands. I spent three and a half months on Rootok trapping invasive artic fox before heading to Tangik / Poa. After two weeks we skiffed over to Akutan and flew out to Dutch on a Goose. Not everyone gets to fly on a goose. If you ever skiff into Akutan play the tide and hug shore. Trust me on that. That was 2009 and I have gone through a few computers since than. I would need to find the disks from that camping trip to add much. I did three trips out on the islands and looking back I should have done more. It rates high on a good time list for me.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 02:12 AM

Dang it people
KILL those snakes!
Posted By: goatman

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 11:29 AM

[Linked Image]

Creatures of the night. I took refuge in an old cabin some kids built to wait a storm out while turkey hunting. This flying squirrel climbed up out of the wall to see who was trespassing.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 03:40 PM

Supper... smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Photo Phriday 6 - 07/24/21 05:09 PM

[Linked Image]

Sleeping out under this last few nights
© 2024 Trapperman Forums