Home

first trapping book

Posted By: whiteotter55

first trapping book - 07/23/21 09:13 PM

about 40 years ago I bought a book called The Trappers Handbook, by Rick Jamison. anybody else remember that one ??
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: first trapping book - 07/23/21 10:57 PM

No, I don’t remember that one. My first trapping book fifty-plus years ago was titled Pennsylvania Trapping and Predator Control Methods by Paul L.Tailor.

I still have my original copy plus one I bought decades later to keep at Camp. It’s interesting to look how things were done and how things have changed since the early 70s.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: first trapping book - 07/23/21 11:11 PM

My first trapping book that I read was at the age of 8. Trap-Lines North, by Stephen Meader. Checked it out at the public library. Read it 40 plus times since. Purchased first edition, which was printed in England, and a later copy which was printed I believe for the 75th anniversary of the book and proceeds went to the Nakina, Ontario library. Visited the trapline area twice and enjoyed both visits.

Chris
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: first trapping book - 07/23/21 11:12 PM

Lugnut, that book is a classic. One of my first books.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: first trapping book - 07/23/21 11:31 PM

My first trapping book, 53 years ago, was Hawbaker’s.

Attached picture 1389960C-17D4-4313-A05A-C59E9DF8A89D.jpeg
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: first trapping book - 07/23/21 11:32 PM

Ps. I still have it.

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Lugnut, that book is a classic. One of my first books.

This is the copy I keep at camp. I built my first set of stretchers off of the specs in this book. Also, tried most of the sets described in it at one time or another in my youth. I still enjoy thumbing through it occasionally and remembering how excited I was when I first tried some of this stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 12:21 PM

Mine was Trapper's Partner by E.J. Dailey
Posted By: Bass1

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 01:15 PM

My dad gave me a copy of the Schoolboy Trapper by Pat Sedlak. Probably around 1968. Still have it.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 01:49 PM

Mine was Hawbakers Trapping North American Furbearers.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
No, I don’t remember that one. My first trapping book fifty-plus years ago was titled Pennsylvania Trapping and Predator Control Methods by Paul L.Tailor.

I still have my original copy plus one I bought decades later to keep at Camp. It’s interesting to look how things were done and how things have changed since the early 70s.

Tell us what has changed
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: first trapping book - 07/25/21 08:01 PM

I think mine was Master Trapping Methods by Bob Hoffman. Still have it. Also not a trapping book per se, but about a trapper and hunter, They
Called Him Wildcat, about V. E. Lynch. Lynch wrote a book called Scientific Trapping Methods I've often thought about getting, anybody ever read it and have any thoughts on it?

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Tell us what has changed

There is a chapter dedicated to calling/hunting great horned owls which includes methods such as using crows to locate them then stalking and picking them off with a scoped rifle. Also on "driving" them similar to a deer drive. Great horned owls are protected today by both state and federal laws.

The preference for stretcher board sizes seems to have turned towards narrower boards. The red fox boards specs in the book call for a bottom width of 9" on a 48" long stretcher. NAFA specs 7" at 66" long for a large fox board and FHA specs 5.25" at 60" long. Coon board specs in the book are 2" wider than NAFA specs and 3" wider than FHA specs for the same length (48"). Maybe NAFA and FHA specs were always narrow like that, I don't know.

The sets described using exposed bait are illegal in PA today. The bulk set in particular was one i used to use quite a bit. You set three or four traps on drags around a pile of bait like a dead deer, deer guts or chicken butchering remains.

Those are a few of the changes.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

I think this was many trappers intro book...Have a 1974 hardcopy.
Posted By: lindner115

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 02:13 PM

Charles Dobbins, Lands sets and trapping techniques. my brother gave it to me.
Posted By: DWC

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 02:28 PM

They werent my books, as my dad had several. I think the ones i looked at the most were the oscar cronk muskrat and coon books. One was yellow and one was orange
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 03:10 PM

Tell us what has changed

I think it was in this book that said after you completed dying your traps to use the smoke of the fire on the remainder of your equipment to mask human scent on the equipment.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 03:24 PM

Trappers Partner by E.J.Dailey.Pictures were too grainy to make heads or tails out of,but to a 14 year old in the mid '70's the info it contained were gold.I read it over and over and over.

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 04:47 PM

Tell us what has changed

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
I think it was in this book that said after you completed dying your traps to use the smoke of the fire on the remainder of your equipment to mask human scent on the equipment.

That is correct. He said to cover your fire with green vegetation and smoke your pack basket by placing it on top and putting all your equipment on or around it to get as much smoke as possible. The author also recommended rubbing a few drops of fox urine into the fingers and palms of your canvas gloves to hide human odor.

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 04:49 PM

He also recommended against waxing traps except to protect them from rust over the summer months.
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 05:11 PM

The first i ever read was The Trappers Companion (a Harding Book) it was my neighbors: the first one I purchased was Science of Trapping by Elmer Krepps (also a Harding book) followed by Tales of Wilderness Trapper (Neil Lindsey)
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Trappers Partner by E.J.Dailey.Pictures were too grainy to make heads or tails out of,but to a 14 year old in the mid '70's the info it contained were gold.I read it over and over and over.

Lol. Me too. I bought all his books and a lot of his lures
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 07:58 PM

Same Rick Jamison that sued Winchester over the Short Mags?

Didn't know he was a trapper. Learn something every day.

My first actual book was probably Hawbakers. Followed by about 150 others... grin
Posted By: The Beav

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

I have a signed copy. And I gave It to my grand son about a week ago.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: first trapping book - 07/26/21 08:54 PM

Hawbaker book, and charlie Dobbins land trapping book
© 2024 Trapperman Forums