Home

Olympic Archery

Posted By: Finster

Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 12:14 AM

Starting at 8:30 PM EST...... anyone tuning in?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 12:20 AM

I would but I have some drying paint that requires watching.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 12:39 AM

Young lady from just down the road competing, Mackenzie Brown.

Hope she brings home the gold.

Not much interest in any of the other stuff related to the games
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:12 AM

Son was on the Olympic trail when he was younger. Shot Olympic-style recurve in the Junior Olympic Archery Development program. His goal was to be in the top 10 in the nation. Went through all the State and National competitions and wound up going to the JOAD Nationals at Park City, Utah. Wound up ranked 9th in the Nation. Put his bow away and did not compete again.

Really fun travelling with him. Met other archers from all over the world. The archers from Korea were classic in their form. He met some of the US Olympic team, shot against Ted Nugent, and had a great time at it.

I would not have wanted to stand with a target on my chest at 70 yds. from him!

Moosetrot
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:20 AM

Hey Moose why do those arrows slither downrange like a snake goin across a hot paved road
Posted By: SJA

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:29 AM

The arrow's composition has much to do with the flexing ability. :-)
Posted By: AJE

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
Starting at 8:30 PM EST...... anyone tuning in?

I would, maybe, but NBC rarely shows those fun sports.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:34 AM

Another question, I've been watching some of that recurve target archery on YouTube and there appears to some mechanism on the bow in the area of the rest that visibly moves right before the shot. Seems to be that way on everyone's setup. It move like a half second before the release. Really has me wondering what the heck is it.

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:34 AM

I understand that also know those guys an gals shoot better then i could with as scoped rifle offhand just wondering what the theory is behind it
Posted By: SJA

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Another question, I've been watching some of that recurve target archery on YouTube and there appears to some mechanism on the bow in the area of the rest that visibly moves right before the shot. Seems to be that way on everyone's setup. It move like a half second before the release. Really has me wondering what the heck is it.

That's an arrow "Rest".
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Your probably seeing the "clicker" It clicks when the arrow is at full draw, keeps your draw consistent.

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 02:41 AM

"klicker" snaps past the point when you hit full draw

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 03:08 AM

Yeah, it was pretty amazing how snakey the arrows were. They do a lot of tuning etc. to get the arrow with just the right weights, spine, and even fletching for the best accuracy at 70 meters.

That is probably the clicker. It's a little spring-loaded device the helps them time their release of the arrow with consistent draw length.

Some may feel watching archery is like watching paint dry, but when you see just how much does into being proficient and at the competitive level, you start understanding and appreciating the intricacies, time, and effort that goes into it.

Moosetrot

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 03:14 AM

My son had 2 Robinhoods (arrow stuck in another arrow) in National competitions. Pretty proud of those! At a competition in Illinois one of the Olympic Team came over to congratulate him. Showed a lot of class and will be remembered the rest of my son's life.

Moosetrot
Posted By: E.Shell

Re: Olympic Archery - 07/24/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Hey Moose why do those arrows slither downrange like a snake goin across a hot paved road
This is called "Archer's Paradox" and even the heaviest hunting arrows do this. First time I saw this was an old 1980's Easton Aluminum video and I couldn't believe my eyes. Gave me a whole new appreciation for making sure my arrows were in good condition and properly spined.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums