Home

Any Bakelite collectors?

Posted By: Anonymous

Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 01:48 AM

I know very little about bakelite items just that some are worth a little. Picked this set up today and wondering if there are any Bakelite guru's lurking here. Why is this "plastic" worth so much?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SJA

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 02:13 AM

That is a SWEET set! . . . I think I recognize a letter opener, an true ink pen, and a wax seal. Can't say about the rest. But that is NICE! :-)
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 02:16 AM

Bakelite is collectible due to its age and the fact that it is one of the early plastics. That set is supper cool. Complete and with the case.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 02:56 AM

I have a few Bakelite Scaled straight Razors
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 04:11 AM

I have Bakelite knobs in my '52 Chevrolet pickup. I have a beautiful period correct aftermarket Bakelite turn signal switch in my '49.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/24/21 05:54 AM

A lot of later bamboo and early fiberglass fly rods had Bakelite reel seat inserts.

I never heard of collecting it, but that set you posted looks great.

Good luck.

Pete
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/25/21 02:11 AM

Bakelite and other vintage plastics (micarta) are a really hot item on custom handmade knives right now.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Any Bakelite collectors? - 07/25/21 02:38 AM

I could be wrong but I believe one of the reasons that bakelite is worth money is because it was fragile as far as plastics go. Big problems were any kind of UV rays, impacts or side loading stress. It was one of the first mass produced plastics and therefore not much was known about durability. I think the original M-16's also had bakelite furniture.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums