Home

Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down!

Posted By: bfisch

Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 03:49 AM

I know I posted pictures before, but here is some footage of the hunt as well. Enjoy!

Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 07:12 AM

Interesting! You check same time every other day, then change when you hunt? Any rubs?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 12:53 PM

Great video and also looks like your strategy was a good one
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 07:07 PM

Nice Bear! Congrats!

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 10:23 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Interesting! You check same time every other day, then change when you hunt? Any rubs?

I try whenever possible to check/fill bait sometime between 11am and 12:30pm. That day was an exception and I needed to be back earlier because I had prior commitments. Notice that the bear didn't come in until when I would usually would fill the bait. So my sitting there beforehand didn't seem to help me. I would prefer to either sit in the stand right after filling bait or during the evening. However, bears were hitting the bait and all hours of the day and night so I am not even sure that it made a difference.

No rubs at all. The pelt is/was in great shape!

I wonder what other's theories are when it comes to making noise at the bait site. Do you talk, break sticks, bang on the barrel, etc?
I try to not lollygag at the site, but I also don't try to be exceptionally quiet. I did sit one day and could just sense a bear or more around by the way the gray jays were acting, but the wind was not good and never saw anything that day.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 10:40 PM

I intentionally make a lot of noise when I'm at the bait site. I'll make sure to make lots of noise on my way in and lots of noise once I'm there. I don't want to surprise a bear right at the bait and make them feel like their safety was compromised. There's no downside to it. Our fall baiting season starts next Saturday. We already have stands up and barrels positioned.

Nice bear you got there.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/25/21 11:25 PM

Thanks for taking us along.

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/26/21 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
I intentionally make a lot of noise when I'm at the bait site. I'll make sure to make lots of noise on my way in and lots of noise once I'm there. I don't want to surprise a bear right at the bait and make them feel like their safety was compromised. There's no downside to it. Our fall baiting season starts next Saturday. We already have stands up and barrels positioned.

Nice bear you got there.

Our season is open whenever baiting is open. So legally I can take a bear whenever I am making or checking a bait station. What are the chances of sneaking up on a bear in the brush assuming the wind is good?
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/26/21 01:05 AM

Excellent,
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Spring Bear Hunt: Chocolate Down! - 07/26/21 01:18 AM

Good looking bear!!!! Congrats!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums