Home

Speed dip guys

Posted By: MnJag

Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 04:40 PM

Thinking about dipping some 330 in speed dip today. It's Supposed to be 86 with 31 percent humidity and a breeze. Does that sound like low enuf humidity? Remember this is mn where it's humid untill the snow flies!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 04:44 PM

Let it rip….4:1 …or 5:1 ration with Coleman fuel….dip and hang …for a couple weeks.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 04:56 PM

Keep stirring the mixture and hang newly dipped traps in the shade. As Nessmuck mentioned,thin the dip more than directions say.
Have fun and avoid a sun stroke--this hot weather stinks.
Tom

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Keep stirring the mixture and hang newly dipped traps in the shade. As Nessmuck mentioned,thin the dip more than directions say.
Have fun and avoid a sun stroke--this hot weather stinks.
Tom

What's the thinking of hanging them in the shade? Just curious never tried it that way always waited until the would be hanging in the sun! I have them hanging in the sun now before I dip them to let them get warm! Is that not a good idea either? Just seemed like a good idea in my head.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 05:06 PM

I LOVE speed dip. Only thing is that it's messy. Honestly, you can test ratios. I think a thinner mix can be better so your traps aren't super tacky.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 05:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about sun/shade. Hang them where you can.

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 05:34 PM

Carrol Black (Blackie) also had a dip like speed dip,he recommended keeping newly dipped traps in the shade. I have always followed his advice and never had problems with dipped traps. Thinning and stirring are also essential for good results. Thats how I do it ,and will continue to follow what has worked well for me.
Tom

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher
I never worried about sun or shade as well. They go on the fence and stay there until trapping season and have never had a problem either.

This is what I'm thinking now. I did some in the sun some in the shade. Look about the same to me. It was nice working in the shade though. I think as long as your dip is thin it will come out good. Can't say what my raito was as i used leftover dip from last year and added about a half gallon of Colman fuel to a gallon of left over dip. It ran like water.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/25/21 11:29 PM

I use 5:1-6:1 ratio. Pretty thin. And I use regular non ethanol gas. 330s don't fit in my bucket of dip, so I just hold a paper towel or whatever I have handy with some pliers and blot it on.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/26/21 05:14 AM

Carrol Black (Blackie) also had a dip like speed dip,he recommended keeping newly dipped traps in the shade. I have always followed his advice and never had problems with dipped traps. Thinning and stirring are also essential for good results. Thats how I do it ,and will continue to follow what has worked well for me.
Tom

Is there a reason to place the dipped traps in the shade rather than the hot sun? Last year was the first timeI I used Speed Dip and I let them in the hot sun and it worked out well although it still took over a month to eliminate any tackiness from the dip. I also have very little humidity in my area.
Posted By: bgfur3065

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/26/21 05:26 AM

Like stated above I like to thin it out more than the recommended ratio. I usually dip 4-6 traps wired together and hang on a rack outside. Then I take a battery powered leaf blower and hit em with that about 30 seconds, it removes the pooled up places on the traps and seems to eliminate any sticky spots
Posted By: Mac

Re: Speed dip guys - 07/26/21 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bgfur3065
Like stated above I like to thin it out more than the recommended ratio. I usually dip 4-6 traps wired together and hang on a rack outside. Then I take a battery powered leaf blower and hit em with that about 30 seconds, it removes the pooled up places on the traps and seems to eliminate any sticky spots

That is a good idea. I have a friend that has speed dipped for years. I think it was about three or four years ago that he came up with the leaf blower idea. Good thinking. How many of you guys dip your canine traps?

Thanks
Mac
Posted By: AJE

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
330s don't fit in my bucket of dip, so I just hold a paper towel or whatever I have handy with some pliers and blot it on.
Not a bad idea. I bet a paint brush would work too. Plus, sometimes a person might only want to touch up or treat certain key areas instead of dipping the entire trap
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 12:52 PM

What AJE said...obviously the paint brush will be ruined so I keep it with my speed dip bucket and use it strictly for dipping. I use the brush to apply dip to my 280s/330s. It will be stiff until it is immersed in the dip for a bit but works fine.
Mac just got dipping a few traps that I got in a BUY OUT. Thin dip... cleaned traps up, adjusted pan and dog, checked chain and swivels, dipped the traps, hung them out for bit and done!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 01:57 PM

Want a cheap speed dip?, get a gallon of non fibered foundation coat, thin with paint thinners , great net dip, trap,chain,tool etc. dip...

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 02:08 PM

What’s the price per gallon gcs?
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Tom

Is there a reason to place the dipped traps in the shade rather than the hot sun? Last year was the first timeI I used Speed Dip and I let them in the hot sun and it worked out well although it still took over a month to eliminate any tackiness from the dip. I also have very little humidity in my area.

Maybe thin it a little more or make sure it stirred real well. If it's not stirred well thick stuff will build up at the bottom of the bucket and then coat trap heavier. I usually have landscaping timbers spread across saw horses. I twist a 20" inch piece of wire in the swivels on each each of trap. Dip 2 traps at once for about 5 seconds pull out and shake real well. Then hang over timber. After hanging for about a week I take off wire and set traps up right on a piece of blandex board to dry the tops.
After dried sometimes there will be a pooled spot that is tacky. I just take a screwdriver and skim that spot off.

If you leave out in the direct summer sun to long I notice the dip will start to crack.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 06:49 PM

McChewk, The foundation coat, basically asphalt, can be bought at any HD, Lowes, etc. by the gallon can,Thinners too, don't know current price. final cost depends how much you thin it, it doesn't need to be too thick, you'd just need to test and alter.
Could use gas to thin also, might be a little cheaper.
Either way it'll be less then supply house dip.

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 09:15 PM

Thanks
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/14/21 09:33 PM

I use paint brush on stabilizers, stakes an 330 s, to big submerge in dip bucket an throw brush garbage when done, have speed dip for years on traps , if didn't, I go with another dip an try other speed dip , get kinda late for speed dip with fall cool weather

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/16/21 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot

After dried sometimes there will be a pooled spot that is tacky.

A friend that got out of trapping gave me a few dipped traps. The traps were sticky, & I did not like that feel (but the price was right).

The dip I bought is Dakota Lines. I haven't tried it yet.

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/16/21 05:45 AM

If the traps from your friend were sticky,he didn't add enough fuel to the dip.
Tom

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/16/21 05:50 AM

If the traps from your friend were sticky,he didn't add enough fuel to the dip.
Tom

Ok. He said it was his 1st time dipping & that he did use the gasoline type dip. Thanks
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Speed dip guys - 10/16/21 03:07 PM

Late spring or early summer is best time dip , let hang few days, when warm out, I had 220 s out in sun in fall in Nov, that left little spot dip on coon pelt before from dog or whatever on pelt, they were dip in June , it can get a little tacky months later, out in sun
© 2024 Trapperman Forums