Home

1000 coon season question

Posted By: LLtrapper

1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:02 AM

As many know I have had many thousand coon seasons. I have posted my successes every time on Facebook and other social media. I wonder if that was someone's goal, would you not post it on a forum and document it if you made it known you were trying? After all if that was my goal and I set out to do so I would certainly document it wouldn't I? I would never want anyone to be able to cast doubt . Not saying anyone would question such a feat. Lots of folks have done it after all. If I was trying and done it for the first time I would have posted it everywhere. It would not be about conceit or bragging but about pride in going so for me anyways at least the first time. When you do it ten times in a row and several times double it I can see it not being worth mentioning at that point. Let's here your thoughts. It might be interesting to think about and look into those who have said they did but never posted about it on their social media. LLL
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:09 AM

I guess if it were your goal, and you met it, it would impress you. Why not post it. I’d say only good would come out of it. People would want to learn from you and you could take that opportunity to teach. I’ve had some 400 coon seasons and thought it was decent. 1,000 is a bunch of pandas.
Posted By: Getrz

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:13 AM

Nothing wrong touting your success. I have respect for those who put up large catch numbers of any species. Doubt usually comes from those who envy such success.

Gary

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Getrz
Doubt usually comes from those who envy such success.

Gary

Or for some reason you do not mention it until a couple seasons later. LLL
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:23 AM

I enjoy any thread about big catches. Hope any member who makes large catches posts and allows us to learn, maybe. Also entertaining. Haven't seen anything from PSB1011 (hope I got that right), who would catch a thousand reds.
Looking forward to more from you LL.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:27 AM

Lltrapper if you trapped a 1000 coon this coming fall, do you think you would turn a profit? It's a serious question. I don't know if it would work with high fuel prices and low fur prices. Although if your coon populations are as high there as they are here. Idk.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:28 AM

I am not on facebook. If it is look how smart and good they are then I am not impressed. If they are trying to say they did this and others may be interested than I usually am. What impresses me is when you run across the ones that have amazing feats/goals met and they don't tell anyone you just have to happen to stumble across them.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:30 AM

Nothing wrong with bragging about a large harvest of fur.
Posted By: Bob

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:33 AM

I would share it for sure. I would be proud of that accomplishment, anyone who’s ever trapped knows those numbers only come with hundreds, if not thousands of hours of hard work in a season, not to mention the knowledge and skill set you’d need to make it happen.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mudtracker
Lltrapper if you trapped a 1000 coon this coming fall, do you think you would turn a profit? It's a serious question. I don't know if it would work with high fuel prices and low fur prices. Although if your coon populations are as high there as they are here. Idk.

Right now trapping is like any other hobby. Like gambling. You only play as long as you can afford to play. You should have no expectation of making money because in reality you will loose your shirt. If you have two shirts then go ahead and play. LLL
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:45 AM

So larry, who said they caught a 1000 coon that you don't believe.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
So larry, who said they caught a 1000 coon that you don't believe.

Good question Steven. If I did it I would have let you know at the time. Kind of like being assaulted and never reporting it until a year or two later. LLL
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:50 AM

I can see positives and negatives to both sides. I know people who like there successes to be known and I know guys who are very successful who would rather keep it too themselves. Sometimes it sure can be done for the wrong reasons and sometimes it can just come across wrong.
I know a guy on this forum that can put up huge daily catches of coyotes (he only goes hard for his 2 week vacation)(and does it year after year) and has never posted one thing about coyote trapping on here. One of the reasons is he's just that humble of a guy.
Posted By: Blueticker1

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:57 AM

I am one of the people that don't like it to be known, part of the reason I don't know why, but the other part is one of the people I respect the most in this world that has taught me a lot about trapping, hunting, etc. I consistently surpass his yearly catch and he is very proud of it. It takes a lot of work to catch large numbers of dogs in our country. I wouldn't do anything ever to hurt his feelings or pride. So when someone asks how many I've caught so far I always tell them 1 or 2 and leave it at that.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:59 AM

I wouldn’t post it

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I wouldn’t post it

What if you were trying to make a name for yourself as a 1000 coon man? Would you then? Not talking about myself. You all know I would and I have. Just wonder why someone would say they have but not say a word about it on social media when they did is all. I like a straight shooter. LLL
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:08 AM

A good Swede remains humble about his successes....I'm a not a very good Swede. .....Three different seasons I went over 500 on beaver. smile
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:09 AM

Disclaimer: I'm not on facebook.

Not sure I would use facebook for such an announcement. I would probably make a thread here on trapperman.com with history of progress toward your goal and pictures for education and other trapper's enjoyment. JMT

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Disclaimer: I'm not on facebook.

Not sure I would use facebook for such an announcement. I would probably make a thread here on trapperman.com with history of progress toward your goal and pictures for education and other trapper's enjoyment. JMT

But you would document it and let folks known right? After all 900 don't put you in the 1000 club nor does 700 on other attempts that a guy would post but in between those seasons you hit 1000 and you say nothing??? Just does not seem right. LLL
Posted By: nate

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:23 AM

Why bother to show off your success unless you are selling a product and use your success to market that product. Keep a picture album for yourself and friends (if you have any) I'm sure we have fewer than we think. there will probably be more people that bad mouth you than to give you credit for your accomplishment. My self I say Rock on Brother. Great job.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by nate
Why bother to show off your success unless you are selling a product and use your success to market that product. Keep a picture album for yourself and friends (if you have any) I'm sure we have fewer than we think. there will probably be more people that bad mouth you than to give you credit for your accomplishment. My self I say Rock on Brother. Great job.

I assume that is where this is actually going. lol, LLL
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:29 AM

It doesn’t bother me! I like to see what everyone else is doing! Let’s say, you kill a 200” buck? Would you post it? What is the difference? If any body reaches their goal, in any thing, lm very happy for them!!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:35 AM

But how about saying you did two years ago but never posting anything about it at the time? LLL
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
But how about saying you did two years ago but never posting anything about it at the time? LLL

For me, after the season, I wouldn’t bring it up, unless it came up in a conversation, like what was the most coon you ever caught.
Posted By: DWC

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:46 AM

Why dont you just call out who youre mad at for catching 1000 coon and not posting it in facebook when it happened two years ago? I think i know who youre referring to.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:47 AM

Obviously you are bothered about it.
what I can't figure is why.
just
Posted By: charles

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:51 AM

My only coon achievement was setting six bucket traps on a marsh island and returning the following morning to find five coon and a darn nutria. Could have gone six for six. Bait was fresh yellowfin tuna cleaned that afternoon. Traps were all within 50 feet of each other, sort of in a circle.
Posted By: IowaTrapper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:02 AM

Well I'll speak my thoughts on this, as I actually have a youtube series where I set out last year to catch 1000 coon, I indeed fell short, as a matter of fact I only have one 1000 coon season where I caught 1082. I know and will gladly admit, there are many trappers that run circles around me, I will never deny that. When I hit my life goal of 1000 coon season I got alot of haters out of it with phrases like "must be nice to be single" or "with I didn't have a job". I started filming to show that a blue collar guy like myself, with a young family, and a full time job can still hit goals and push to those goals. My series I created was strictly to show that drive, and to help beginning trappers learn a few techniques, strategies, and things to look for along my road line. Yes I've gotten alot of people that look at me in a very negative way, but I know people like LLL as well as many other both on and off this page can put me to shame when it comes to numbers. I've got alot to learn myself, I know this, but I feel it's my obligation to pass on what I do know, and the amount of young people that have reached out to me, seeking advice, and wanting to get into our sport has really inspired me to keep doing what I'm doing. I met a few people this past week thst are very quiet with what they do, and catch literally hundreds of many species of animals in just 3 months. I was very fortunate to pick the brains of those people for a few hours. As far as answering this question, if your here to toot your horn I'd say keep it quiet, if your here to help the next generation, share whatever you are willing to share!
Posted By: nate

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:08 AM

Right here is why I rarely say a thing about my catch. I've shown this before and I'll show it now. But right there is one of the best dogs there's ever been at treeing coons we killed 5-7 hundred from his second year till I buried him. He was straight and a real friend. It's pethetic and sick the people that bad mouthed us. Very few are worth even showing this to.

Attached picture raw(7).jpg

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by IowaTrapper
Well I'll speak my thoughts on this, as I actually have a youtube series where I set out last year to catch 1000 coon, I indeed fell short, as a matter of fact I only have one 1000 coon season where I caught 1082. I know and will gladly admit, there are many trappers that run circles around me, I will never deny that. When I hit my life goal of 1000 coon season I got alot of haters out of it with phrases like "must be nice to be single" or "with I didn't have a job". I started filming to show that a blue collar guy like myself, with a young family, and a full time job can still hit goals and push to those goals. My series I created was strictly to show that drive, and to help beginning trappers learn a few techniques, strategies, and things to look for along my road line. Yes I've gotten alot of people that look at me in a very negative way, but I know people like LLL as well as many other both on and off this page can put me to shame when it comes to numbers. I've got alot to learn myself, I know this, but I feel it's my obligation to pass on what I do know, and the amount of young people that have reached out to me, seeking advice, and wanting to get into our sport has really inspired me to keep doing what I'm doing. I met a few people this past week thst are very quiet with what they do, and catch literally hundreds of many species of animals in just 3 months. I was very fortunate to pick the brains of those people for a few hours. As far as answering this question, if your here to toot your horn I'd say keep it quiet, if your here to help the next generation, share whatever you are willing to share!

Heres the difference between your almost 1,000 last year and 1082 before and other guys who caught far more: you did it with a job other than trapping that you were goin to-probably some vacation thrown in but im sure you had some long days. Makes 1500-1600 or whatever some guys catch while doing it full time not seem that awesome. Well done and i look fwd to watching this season. One thing i picked up watching a few episodes this season is finding those lesser used trails-ill be stoppin to throw sets in more often now.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:42 AM

Trappers who consistently put up big numbers of good quality fur sometimes talk about it,but usually after the word has come out from their peers.
Those guys get well known locally.Since the internet some get more well known,but lots are still just local legends.
Back in the day the ones advertizing huge barns of fur were the ones selling something other than fur.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:48 AM

Be happy you are one of the few things good that came out of CB …lol
Posted By: CoonNfoxtrapper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:50 AM

To bad one guy genuinely wants to help the next generation and thats horrible and causes everyone to puff up at the NTA like a bunch of peacocks while others put a large price tag on offering their help and that seems okay.

Thanks for everything iowa trapper and everyone else that can offer help while remaining decent human beings.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 08:09 AM

Not a Facebook, YouTube,etc guy here. This is my outlet. Not into pictures, catch number and such. I like information exchanges on trapping not numbers. If I shot a 200 buck it would be the same way. My dad taught me that the "numbers" and picture things were for yourself to look back and reflect and learn. To put those kind of things out in public were akin to bragging and boasting, to say look at me look at me. This was just the way I was raised. If someone else does it that is how they were raised and nothing wrong with that either. If someone told you 2 to 3 years later that they caught x amount of something who are you to judge? The only reason in my book would be jealousy or some kind of problems you've already had with that person manifesting itself again. I do enjoy looking at others pictures and reading their stories, it's just not in my nature to reciprocate
Posted By: LDW

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 10:00 AM

I enjoy looking and reading about large catches. It amazes me the amount of preparation that's involved to be able to pull the catches off. Even more amazing is the drive and dedication of the trapper. One trapper I know starts checking at 1am and goes to dark. Then has to skin the catch. I know another trapper that catches over 1500 coons and 400 mink a season, yet he says very little about it. Now he is catching 700-800 coyotes a season across several states. Some like to share their story and some don't. I like to see their accomplishments and don't feel they are just tooting their horn.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 10:38 AM

People mention shooting a big deer. It is sort of like that. I know a farmer who has killed at least a dozen huge deer in Buffalo County, WI. The guy is no joke and his harvest is impressive. That said, the only people who know about it are the taxidermist and the people who have seen his game room. No pictures allowed, no posts on social media.

On the other hand, someone shoots a small deer and they have pictures posted within minutes. I would guess most people fall into this category.
Posted By: 080808

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 10:38 AM

It’s a choice but personally I prefer to fly under the radar.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Trappers who consistently put up big numbers of good quality fur sometimes talk about it,but usually after the word has come out from their peers.
Those guys get well known locally.Since the internet some get more well known,but lots are still just local legends.
Back in the day the ones advertizing huge barns of fur were the ones selling something other than fur.

Yup.

Jealousy and competition play a big role also. You start spouting off numbers of how many you are catching and a)your going to have people getting jealous and b)people will be moved right in every place they think you are making these big catches c)they will complain and blame you having killed everything when they don't catch much.

This applies to hunting even more than trapping, but probably applies to about everything in life.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I wouldn’t post it

What if you were trying to make a name for yourself as a 1000 coon man? Would you then? Not talking about myself. You all know I would and I have. Just wonder why someone would say they have but not say a word about it on social media when they did is all. I like a straight shooter. LLL

If I was trying to make a name and market myself then yes. The second part of your question. Not everyone wants to be famous. I think social media has changed the way a lot of people think “everyone wants to be famous” and it’s hard for most to understand why someone doesn’t care to be famous. I have a friend that has caught over 1000 and I bet there isn’t a pic out there of it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:21 AM

Good points Brad and an interesting thread.
Pics of large catches from back in the day are revered by almost everyone.... except anti-trappers and PETA type folk.

Fast forward 100 years and social media has changed cultural perceptions.
Big catches now are no different than big catches in 1921, but today we rank more.
And judge accordingly.
And people transfer their opinion onto the person who posts.
That's 2021 culture. Way more individualized perception of life.
The 1921 "my way or the highway" has become the 2021 "my way is the way," thinking in our land.

So, heck post 'em LL.
We're not animal rights people.
Too many will jump in and start voting on who is better and who is not and who should and who shouldn't.
The fact you even asked this Q is telling of 2021.
It wouldn't have even been a thought in 1921.

And well done to catch anything close to 1000 greasy boogers!
Talk about work.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: foxkidd44

absoloutly!! 1000 coon a season is pretty danged impressive............my personal best is 342..............and I worked you dang right i'd be posting.
Posted By: jabNE

You post, you have fun, you set an example for young ambitious upcoming that want to be like you.
Profit. No profit. Whatever. Go have fun.
I enjoyed following your quest and was hoping to do so again. grin
Jim

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:23 AM

Most people would post about the first time they get to 1000 especially if they fell short several times (which is ok) and have not done so since. I went from 1200 or so to zero because of auction events and fur value and posted that. I have a lot of haters. I have a lot of friends. As Dustin said it comes with the territory. Some of it comes from my success, some comes from me being confident in what I do and some comes from my opinion about not liking trappers getting duped and saying something about it. LLL
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:31 AM

It'd be something fun to do...whether you have time to actually document it is another story. Filming and pics takes time away from what you're doing. Especially if you're filming it yourself. If you had someone tag along that could film you,stays out of the way and gets back in the truck before you do would be helpful
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
People mention shooting a big deer. It is sort of like that. I know a farmer who has killed at least a dozen huge deer in Buffalo County, WI. The guy is no joke and his harvest is impressive. That said, the only people who know about it are the taxidermist and the people who have seen his game room. No pictures allowed, no posts on social media.

On the other hand, someone shoots a small deer and they have pictures posted within minutes. I would guess most people fall into this category.

When others start talking about and promoting your efforts - you've arrived, just like that humble farmer in Buffalo County.
“Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise.”
Posted By: LDW

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:34 AM

LL, I for one enjoyed your pics. Couldn't get over the work that is involved to put up the catches you made. The pictures of your pickup full of coons were amazing. Just shows how much hard work and knowledge is involved in those catches. Keep posting the pictures and ignore the haters.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by nate
Right here is why I rarely say a thing about my catch. I've shown this before and I'll show it now. But right there is one of the best dogs there's ever been at treeing coons we killed 5-7 hundred from his second year till I buried him. He was straight and a real friend. It's pethetic and sick the people that bad mouthed us. Very few are worth even showing this to.

I love a good dog. Buried one of my own. She was the best bird dog (short hair) I ever hunted behind. Have not been pheasant hunting since. LLL
Posted By: possum63

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:54 AM

I guess I look at the guy who don't say anything about the 1000 coon season for to years is no different than the guy boasting about several 1000 coon seasons but never actually giving numbers. Anyone can say they catch a 1000, and take a few pictures of their truck full. And I also think "who cares". Lol. I try not to spend much time worrying about others motives.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by possum63
I try not to spend much time worrying about others motives.

No just a little.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 12:22 PM

I tagged fur at a NAFA receiving agent for several years and signed in and processed some (more than I thought I would have before working there) 1000 plus catches.

It was often mentioned specifically that they did not want to share their catch numbers.

Posted By: nimzy

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Horn
I tagged fur at a NAFA receiving agent for several years and signed in and processed some (more than I thought I would have before working there) 1000 plus catches.

It was often mentioned specifically that they did not want to share their catch numbers.

If fur price ever returns so will this.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 12:33 PM

I can understand this mentality also. I know several who have caught a 1000 in my neighborhood and a few of us have caught over 2000 in a season. I know a guy who has caught over 3000 in a season and says nothing.

I am talking about when someone has posted for years about trying to do it, posts about falling short but then somehow a few years later said he has. I wonder why a guy would not have posted about his success amongst his short falls? Seems a bit strange to me. LLL
Posted By: UCMcoyote

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 01:05 PM

Do what you want. I dont see what the big deal is if you don't believe him then just move on. I respect those that have the drive to go catch 1000 coons or 1000 rats or whatever cause we as trappers know the type of committment that takes. To fall short of 1000 cause he only catches 800 is still impressive. I dont care if he is single no kids no job or if he's got a wife 5 kids and 2 jobs its still a lot of committment.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 01:11 PM

Why speculate? Ask him.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 01:12 PM

I can understand this mentality also. I know several who have caught a 1000 in my neighborhood and a few of us have caught over 2000 in a season. I know a guy who has caught over 3000 in a season and says nothing.

I am talking about when someone has posted for years about trying to do it, posts about falling short but then somehow a few years later said he has. I wonder why a guy would not have posted about his success amongst his short falls? Seems a bit strange to me. LLL
Now that you put it this way, it sounds shady. Lol. When I was in the southeast, I had heard of a guy named Kirk DeKalb - who had trapped over 1,000 beavers. I ventured out to do the same and came up with 680 something. I can’t say I’ve ever spoken much of it but if I had gotten 1,000 I would probably had mentioned it. That was in a year, by the way, not a season.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 01:22 PM

i skip right over these posts maybe read what 2 or 3 have to say and move on to posts with up coming events fur sales markets and such look at how many look at the post and how many comment should tell you something
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 02:58 PM

I think I might start a sniping 1,000 raccoon with a thermal/night vision thread, because I can smile I'm not even going to come close but a guy can dream. This may be the first season in 17 years I don't bury a trap in the ground. No one's been trapping and they are sure plentiful. I think I'll get more out of it shooting them when I can and without the daily grind that is running traps on myself/family/vehicles etc. I might not post a single thing on it either. My guess is no one really cares what I do. As to documentation I guess I could care less if someone posts their numbers, totals, etc. It's fun to see the big catches. The only people that those big numbers matter to are the tax man. Otherwise I wouldn't consider it anyone's business unless it was shared.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:05 PM

I'd consider 1,000 coon in one season quite an accomplishment. That takes a lot of hard work. I admire you for that.

This year should be even easier to attain that number with all the dead ones I'm seeing on the highways. Catching that many coon is good conservation. Better to make use of the animal than to see it rot away on some highway.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:07 PM

Talked to a former 3000-4000 coon per season trapper at Spencer last week. Is now gearing up for coyote. Then to Texas in January for cats. He said got 800 mink and 1000 rats as incidentals when after coon.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bodycount
Talked to a former 3000-4000 coon per season trapper at Spencer last week. Is now gearing up for coyote. Then to Texas in January for cats. He said got 800 mink and 1000 rats as incidentals when after coon.

I grew up trapping in the same ditches as he did. I learned a lot from him. Trapped along side of well known trappers like Red O’Hearn and Marty S. As well. It was a rough neighborhood to be a young trapper back then but what won’t kill you makes you stronger. M.A. is the Michael Jordan of trapping. LLL
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:44 PM

While at the NTA last weekend I talked to a guy that was out with a thermal scope last year and would see 300 to 400 coon a night with it. 1000 coon should be a cake walk.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 03:59 PM

Most of the time especially with coons and I see the high numbers I don't think so much of skill being the factor as the work and hours required.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:01 PM

He is the man LLL. He is getting up in the years but fit as a fiddle. No internet for him. Keeps a low profile.
Posted By: Kre

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:04 PM

1,000 coon is impressive.

But, it's a lot more impressive when you're getting a $20 average, rather than...say a $10 average.

It's very impressive when you can make real money during times of high competition.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:14 PM

I never really considered 1000 coon a season a great feat , especially since DPs. I know several who do it in Louisiana out of a boat.
Even blind sets and snares on trails going under the road are easy to average 25 a day.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:14 PM

It's solid work ethic to do it though.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:32 PM

Lol
Originally Posted by bodycount
He is the man LLL. He is getting up in the years but fit as a fiddle. No internet for him. Keeps a low profile.

lol that’s funny. I am not that old and I am still in fighting condition. If the money was still there I would still be trapping a couple thousand coon a season . LZlL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:36 PM

Especially with no competition. I piled my numbers when there were four others trapping in the ditch that I was.trapping. LLL
Posted By: hippie

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:38 PM

You appear jealous LLL. what's the point?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:40 PM

Catching the numbers is one thing,putting them all up and doing a good job like LL does is quite another.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:44 PM

Especially with no competition. I piled my numbers when there were four others trapping in the ditch that I was.trapping. LLL

Are you saying you are the only one with competition???

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:45 PM

I agree Boco, anyone who puts up the numbers like him or PSB put in the time most can't or won't.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
You appear jealous LLL. what's the point?

I like Larry. I wish I could have had more time to talk to you and Wayne at the gate the other day when I was volunteering. But I'm trying to see the point here also. It looks like jealousy on the interwebs. I made the same comment to another good friend of mine when he pointed out a T-shirt I was wearing this weekend. I asked him why he was so jealous knowing (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) well he has nothing to be jealous about

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:15 PM

I have nothing to be jealous about Chad. I just would hate for people, especially kids to find out there was no such thing as Santa. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:21 PM

Besides you were a member on the other site when I was challenged any time I claimed to have done something.why would anyone else be exempt?Tough crowds in the trapping community. I can remember having to write the date in the dirt on my pickup to prove I was catching a truck load of coon in January daily. I am sure you remember that. I could put the picture up here again if it jogs the memory. LLL
Posted By: teepee2

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:22 PM

The bigger question is ----- How many coons does it take to get to heaven? smile

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:22 PM

I know you don't. And neither does the other fella I'm talking about. But if you sit back and look from the outside it comes across that way.

I have an off topic question for you LLL I'll Facebook messenger you

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2
The bigger question is ----- How many coons does it take to get to heaven? smile

A truthful number would be my guess. Lll
Posted By: Miley

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:34 PM

Sir, good on you! On a good year for me I’m good for 100 coon , the work involved in trapping and processing 1k is extremely impressive! Dang if u need help running your line I’m your huckleberry! Would love to be a part of that! Again ,I’m for one, am extremely impressed!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:36 PM

I will agree to that.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:44 PM

I never caught a 1000 coon but I did stay In a Holiday In once.

But when I worked for NAFA I put up 5000 coon one year.. Most of them were skinned and all I had to do Is scrape and board.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:44 PM

Besides you were a member on the other site when I was challenged any time I claimed to have done something.why would anyone else be exempt?Tough crowds in the trapping community. I can remember having to write the date in the dirt on my pickup to prove I was catching a truck load of coon in January daily. I am sure you remember that. I could put the picture up here again if it jogs the memory. LLL

Don't need to jog my memory. Lol. I know who you are and remember your pictures. That's what makes this thread weird for me and others. We know your capabilities so the fact your bothered by others motives looks like jealousy. I have the utmost respect for the trapping abilities of trappers like you, M.A., cottonwood, and others.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 05:48 PM

Catching coon when they’re worth nothing is entirely different than trapping them when they have brought a good return like LLL has .

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:05 PM

If you were a thousand coon guy you may understand someone potentially claiming he was but never backing it up. It is not jealousy unless you are counting getting credit for something you may not have coming. Then you might call that envy. You know like envious a guy did not do something but got credit and was not scrutinized like anyone who has? Lol. Call it what you want. Doesn’t really matter. LLL
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:09 PM

I have caught 100’s but never 1k.

Cool goal and the idea that you documented it even cooler.
Posted By: eedup

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:16 PM

I think it's called marketing. Sure no one likes false advertising but it happens every day every where. If you'd like to warn us you don't believe someone call em out. Wish you'd have jumped in my fish stake informal demo at my tailgate spot, didn't realize you n skyler were standing there.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:18 PM

If you were a thousand coon guy you may understand someone potentially claiming he was but never backing it up. It is not jealousy unless you are counting getting credit for something you may not have coming. Then you might call that envy. You know like envious a guy did not do something but got credit and was not scrutinized like anyone who has? Lol. Call it what you want. Doesn’t really matter. LLL

Call them out or cut the cute beating around the bush thing.......This whole thread is like reading a women's mind when I did something she did not like and had no idea!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by eedup
I think it's called marketing. Sure no one likes false advertising but it happens every day every where. If you'd like to warn us you don't believe someone call em out. Wish you'd have jumped in my fish stake informal demo at my tailgate spot, didn't realize you n skyler were standing there.

You were doing a great job. No reason for me to say anything. Had to remind him to make a name for himself and not use the coon combine to sell instructions. He is good enough that he does not need to use my name and he agreed and has since corrected it.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly

Call them out or cut the cute beating around the bush thing.......This whole thread is like reading a women's mind when I did something she did not like and had no idea!

You don’t like coon up there so don’t be bothered. The ones it matters to already know.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:25 PM

Your "informal" fish stake demo was great and I enjoyed every bit of it. Thanks for sharing the information, I learned a lot and I appreciate your help.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:43 PM

Thanks, I enjoy sharing info. I agree with lots of your points Larry they mirror my experiences/observations. Most interesting to me abbot the big number guys is their systems and time saving ideas. There are many systems, they all work in certain places. Just plain hard work and the no quit attitude rules the day.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 06:56 PM

Trapping on a big scale is one of those enterprises or businesses that does not deal with huge investments in assets, resources etc. Business owners that invest in retail, restaurants, farms etc. many times have millions invested, and obligations that come with that. When below cost of production seasons or years come, most still work hard to try and manage through the shortfalls so they can hold onto their assets for better years ahead. They juggle labor, payments, living and refinancing to make these things happen.
Trappers, even large scale trappers may have less then 25k invested and they can choose to not use any of those assets and continue to work their other job or find another job etc. etc. For those that were used to catching 100s or thousands of animals say coons I can see why they opt for other options and it is easy to do. Also many large scale trappers trap road right of ways or public lands and there is not even much of investment in time to secure annual permissions. Not saying that staying home if a poor business plan, I am saying that the cost of sitting out a few years is not all that high, especially now with every firm looking for labor.

Bryce
Posted By: Kong

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 07:39 PM

LLL , one of my best friends has worked with M. A. for years at his “regular” job. He said M. A. Just knows one speed and that is full throttle no matter what the task. To just think of 800 mink season on top of 2-3k coon, all in the same season..... not to mention the hurt he puts on spring beaver........now moved on to several hundred coyotes in Iowa before he heads south........ wow......and few outsiders know his name..... the way he wants it
Posted By: coonman220

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 07:41 PM

What does it mean when they say trapping is 90 per cent mentally ? Are they talk about numbers , I don't understand what they mean when say 90 per cent meantality
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
What does it mean when they say trapping is 90 per cent mentally ? Are they talk about numbers , I don't understand what they mean when say 90 per cent meantality

It's more mindset and attitude. Trapping has a lot of physical work but you have to have the mindset/attitude to make yourself to put that next set in when your body tells you it wants to stop.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 07:51 PM

A POSITIVE mental outlook, ability to adapt, not get mentally burned out. Per all your posts Dave you will never understand it. YOU won't set a trap cause it might get stolen, a positive outlook says set it, make catches, if it does get stolen it's just a business expense and the positive guy just keeps going and sets more.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 07:55 PM

Don't forget the cops and r.o.w. signs you can't cross. eedup is 100% correct here. I'm nowhere near a 1000 coon guy and I know what they mean

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 08:07 PM

A POSITIVE mental outlook, ability to adapt, not get mentally burned out. Per all your posts Dave you will never understand it. YOU won't set a trap cause it might get stolen, a positive outlook says set it, make catches, if it does get stolen it's just a business expense and the positive guy just keeps going and sets more.

It's hard to get into some people's head, but when I have something stolen, I don't let it phase me a bit, I can't, if you get mad and frustrated your head isn't in the game, and your not making quality sets anymore as your mind is elsewhere. The mental fatigue is very much an issue, repeating yourself with the same sets hundreds of times a day, no matter how bad of day your having, you find the good in it, always half full kind of guy.
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:14 PM

You were doing a great job. No reason for me to say anything. Had to remind him to make a name for himself and not use the coon combine to sell instructions. He is good enough that he does not need to use my name and he agreed and has since corrected it.

Yup sure did
Posted By: Northof50

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:23 PM

I have nothing to be jealous about Chad. I just would hate for people, especially kids to find out there was no such thing as Santa. LLL

What is this true, sure hope JP does not read this infront of his 8 kids
Posted By: Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:26 PM

That is fine if you do not have any competition, and have areas all sewed up.
Old school guys kept quiet.

Today it is an entirely different world. I honestly think a lot of guys trap so they have pictures to post for their friends to see on Facebook.
I can think of one high profile trappers, that is without a doubt an outstanding trapper, that used to post pictures but that has stopped. Why you might ask. Probably cost him somewheres.
Unless you have something to sell, why in the world would you talk about it?
If you are selling instructions or lures etc., it probably makes sense.

A guy that LL is throwing shade at maybe changed his mind and wants to capitalize on success.

It seems odd that a proponent of Christianity would be stirring up the crap heap. Just saying.

Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:30 PM

There is a guy from Iowa that has made far better catches than 1000. And the man has done it many times. But he has never posted or bragged. He has never showed pictures everywhere. You kind of have to know some of the real high rollers to even know about the guy or his catches.

Should he ever decide to sell instructions or something, should we automatically throw doubt his way?
Should we become the judge we are taught not to be?
Just curious.

Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:41 PM

Charlie Dobbins was one of the best trappers I ever met and was lucky enough to take instruction from.
What a nice, kind person he was. I never once heard him speak or write a bad word about another person.
What a great example he set for others to follow. He was a man that actually made a living trapping during many a season.
He was a humble man, and never bragged. He is an example of someone I would like my kids to emulate.

Mac
Posted By: coonman220

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:43 PM

Probly not many, I don't have mentality for it, unless got lots permission on land or even if do, a worn out pickup is result, maybe not for few years but keep do it an u well find out what happens expensive part replacement an labor sometime when things just start wear out 1 after another , spent bunch money on pickup in last year but right after trap season over in early Feb in sub zero weather, I became a regular in the shop, was there a good 10 times, the first time was a grand an other vists were average $250 on things wear out
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 09:51 PM

I realize the answer will ruin 6 pages of speculation and drama, but who be the bad guy?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mac

That is fine if you do not have any competition, and have areas all sewed up.
Old school guys kept quiet.

Today it is an entirely different world. I honestly think a lot of guys trap so they have pictures to post for their friends to see on Facebook.
I can think of one high profile trappers, that is without a doubt an outstanding trapper, that used to post pictures but that has stopped. Why you might ask. Probably cost him somewheres.
Unless you have something to sell, why in the world would you talk about it?
If you are selling instructions or lures etc., it probably makes sense.

A guy that LL is throwing shade at maybe changed his mind and wants to capitalize on success.

It seems odd that a proponent of Christianity would be stirring up the crap heap. Just saying.

Mac

I know this may come as a shock to you Mac but Christiansare to seek out truth and discern it from lies. I do not see where you think that is throwing shade. As a worldly man like yourself can twist it anyway you wish. LLL
Posted By: Gerald Schmitt

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:14 PM

Trapping numbers of any animal is simply a function of having a large population of animals to trap, having access to them, and being able to make a fast and effective set. After that if comes to working hard and line management. I never really worry about what other trappers are doing, running my own line took all of my energy and focus. Numbers have to be taken in context, a larger mink catch is possible in MN or IA as compared to PA or ME. I don't like to see trappers think they aren't as good because they don't catch as much as someone else. Everyone has different family situations and different goals.

If you are out trapping in an honest and professional manner you are as much a trapper as anyone else. Plenty of fur for everyone, nobody has to fail in trapping for someone else to succeed. Certainly there are varying degrees of skill, but an enjoyable experience on the trap line is available to anyone, regardless of how many animals they trap. As I have said before, numbers don't mean much, except to the person that did them.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:17 PM

"I know this may come as a shock to you Mac but Christiansare to seek out truth and discern it from lies. I do not see where you think that is throwing shade. As a worldly man like yourself can twist it anyway you wish. LLL"

As do you. Always in your favor. LOL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt
Trapping numbers of any animal is simply a function of having a large population of animals to trap, having access to them, and being able to make a fast and effective set. After that if comes to working hard and line management. I never really worry about what other trappers are doing, running my own line took all of my energy and focus. Numbers have to be taken in context, a larger mink catch is possible in MN or IA as compared to PA or ME. I don't like to see trappers think they aren't as good because they don't catch as much as someone else. Everyone has different family situations and different goals.

If you are out trapping in an honest and professional manner you are as much a trapper as anyone else. Plenty of fur for everyone, nobody has to fail in trapping for someone else to succeed. Certainly there are varying degrees of skill, but an enjoyable experience on the trap line is available to anyone, regardless of how many animals they trap. As I have said before, numbers don't mean much, except to the person that did them.

Thanks for sharing Gerald.

Mac
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:33 PM

Very well put!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:37 PM

Man, after reading this it's like being in high school all over again.

Great post Gerald, see ya in a couple of days.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/26/21 11:49 PM

Man, after reading this it's like being in high school all over again.

Great post Gerald, see ya in a couple of days.

But you read it anyway.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 12:16 AM

It's kind like a train wreck, you don't want to look but you just can't help it, lol. Yeah, if whoever the secret trapper is was on a quest for 1000 for three years, failed the first and third but said nothing about the second, but then later claimed he hit 1000 that year, it sounds suspect.

But so what? Does his catching 800 coon instead of 1000 in any way affect how many coon you catch? Does he sell something you sell and is using his inflated numbers to take customers away from you? In other words, does it personally affect you in any way? If not, you probably should have just laughed to yourself about it and let it go.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 12:43 AM

I guess it is the sign of the times. People believe anything they are told for fear of going against the crowd or thinking for themselves. I know when I was first trapping big numbers people questioned my every word because very few had spoken about thousand coon seasons. Lots of folks were saying there was no way. I enjoyed proving them wrong at every turn and realized I had to back it up with photos that had dates on them. They still could not wrap their tiny little minds around such a big thing because some think very small. Not saying I was a pioneer to 1000 coon but a lot of folks had never thought that big. When I caught two thousand it got even more insane.

I guess now that there have been several of us that made it public through the years has made it more believable and less likely to be scrutinized then when I done it. All I know is when I got my first 1000 plus season it was 1312 coon and I did it all in the water because the dps were 250,00 a dozen and very few to be bought. Lots of things have changed I guess and nothing has changed too. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
It's kind like a train wreck, you don't want to look but you just can't help it, lol. Yeah, if whoever the secret trapper is was on a quest for 1000 for three years, failed the first and third but said nothing about the second, but then later claimed he hit 1000 that year, it sounds suspect.

But so what? Does his catching 800 coon instead of 1000 in any way affect how many coon you catch? Does he sell something you sell and is using his inflated numbers to take customers away from you? In other words, does it personally affect you in any way? If not, you probably should have just laughed to yourself about it and let it go.

Excellent Post
Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mac
It's kind like a train wreck, you don't want to look but you just can't help it, lol. Yeah, if whoever the secret trapper is was on a quest for 1000 for three years, failed the first and third but said nothing about the second, but then later claimed he hit 1000 that year, it sounds suspect..

Excellent Post
Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 01:10 AM

I think you're right about that Larry. When you hit 1000 coon there were probably more than a couple others that had too, but the trapping world on the Internet was still young then. A lot of people only knew trappers in their own little corner of the world, and it was hard for them to imagine anyone catching that many coon, even harder for them to fathom the sheer amount of coon there are in Iowa to be caught. Fast forward almost 20 years and now many trappers have been on the Internet since childhood. They see huge catches of coon, fox, and other animals every year, pictures of barn shots like Phil's beyond comprehension. And it's become....... not mundane, because those catches will ALWAYS be impressive to most folks, but I guess more common is the right phrase. Like, "Oh wow, look at that, another person caught over a 1,000 coon!" as opposed to "1000 coon?? There ain't no way." People like you and others have shown that it can be done and done consistently, so it's lost some of the magic. To be honest, my first thought when I see someone catching 1000 anything is "better him than me, I sure wouldn't want to have to skin all those greasy dang things", lol.
Posted By: Savell

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 01:52 AM

I caught a coon yesterday... a great ol biggin
Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:22 AM

I wouldn't post it. Just my nature.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

One of those big ol 12 pound southern monsters.. laugh

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:27 AM

Sure you did. Why didn't you say so then?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:33 AM

Without a picture with a date on it, it didn't happen.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:08 AM

I wouldn't post it. But I don't post any pics of dead game period. Having learned that lesson the hard way with waterfowl. All online pics do is create controversy and dozens of guys that I don't like begging to go. Having learned this in 2005 I shot a whitetail just short of the magic 200. While I too several pics none made it to the internet. The only people that have seen the mount are my family, taxidermist and guy who helped drag him out.

What I can't figure is why let somebody live rent free in your head? if he caught a grand, great, either way it does not detract from your accomplishments.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 10:04 AM

I can't even imagine anyone catching 1000 in a season. Congratulations!

I would be ecstatic if I reached 100

WS

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:12 AM

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mac

An honest number. Already answered that.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:32 AM

I'm a huge fan of goals and I like to share my goals because it motivates me and keeps me accountable. I like when other people share their goals because its fun to see progress and root them on and see what's possible.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 01:33 PM

"Bible verses about braggers In Scripture, we see that God does not approve of boasters. God commands us to humble ourselves before Him. Showing off and praising yourself never gives God glory."

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
"Bible verses about braggers In Scripture, we see that God does not approve of boasters. God commands us to humble ourselves before Him. Showing off and praising yourself never gives God glory."

I've heard it several times that a lot of people confuse arrogance with confidence. So it's all in how you decifer it in your own mind.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:31 PM

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mac

It also says those without sin should throw the first stone. I really cannot see why nonbelievers use scripture when they want but never live by any of it. I am a Christian and a sinner. That is why I need Christ. I know I fall short daily. Having said that it has nothing to do with this thread but simply a way to distract and of course rail against Christians. No one is perfect except Christ. LLL
Posted By: CoonNfoxtrapper

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:03 PM

The fact this guy didn't show off his 1000 catch season should indicate hes not there to brag and self promote himself by showing a big catch picture and screaming look at me like someone else did every chance he could. Then through out the next summer his family and friends convinced him to give back to the trapping community and they came up with the idea to make a series on how much work it is to run a long line in the pursuit of 1000 coon. He's not selling lure or some dream bait he tells u cat food is all he uses. He's not trying to charge 1000 dollars for a ride along He's showing what he does. He got 897 coons with a camera in his hand you really doubt he did 200 more coon the year before he started messing with a camera? Sad day when your insecurities make you lash out at others in attempt to make yourself feel better.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:17 PM

"Do not judge or you will be judged"
Posted By: Finster

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:35 PM

As many know I have had many thousand coon seasons. I have posted my successes every time on Facebook and other social media. I wonder if that was someone's goal, would you not post it on a forum and document it if you made it known you were trying? After all if that was my goal and I set out to do so I would certainly document it wouldn't I? I would never want anyone to be able to cast doubt . Not saying anyone would question such a feat. Lots of folks have done it after all. If I was trying and done it for the first time I would have posted it everywhere. It would not be about conceit or bragging but about pride in going so for me anyways at least the first time. When you do it ten times in a row and several times double it I can see it not being worth mentioning at that point. Let's here your thoughts. It might be interesting to think about and look into those who have said they did but never posted about it on their social media. LLL

1000 coon is an lot of work for $50

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by CoonNfoxtrapper
The fact this guy didn't show off his 1000 catch season should indicate hes not there to brag and self promote himself by showing a big catch picture and screaming look at me like someone else did every chance he could. Then through out the next summer his family and friends convinced him to give back to the trapping community and they came up with the idea to make a series on how much work it is to run a long line in the pursuit of 1000 coon. He's not selling lure or some dream bait he tells u cat food is all he uses. He's not trying to charge 1000 dollars for a ride along He's showing what he does. He got 897 coons with a camera in his hand you really doubt he did 200 more coon the year before he started messing with a camera? Sad day when your insecurities make you lash out at others in attempt to make yourself feel better.

Well you finally decided to attack me personally on a forum where I can defend myself. The only thing is I have nothing to defend. Everything I have said I have done I can back up. Funny how you talk crap on other forums and say nothing to mein person. Yes I see what you say. Easy way to end this and to stop any doubt would be to simply prove me wrong on my theory. Or is it taking the high way as you guys call it by not proving what you say. Does it make it true because it was on the internet? That is laughable. You all had to have proof any time I have ever said anything and have been proven wrong every time. Have him prove it so you don’t look like a sheep. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:42 PM

It also says those without sin should throw the first stone. I really cannot see why nonbelievers use scripture when they want but never live by any of it. I am a Christian and a sinner. That is why I need Christ. I know I fall short daily. Having said that it has nothing to do with this thread but simply a way to distract and of course rail against Christians. No one is perfect except Christ. LLL

Myself, I can't believe how hypocritcal most christians are. Not that hard to be humble. Most people post pictures of their catches to impress other people. Plain and simple. It is not casting stones to point out a FACT.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 03:55 PM

Cause they are fake christians.
CFMGO's
Christians For Monetary Gain Only.
Like the My Pillow guy who suddenly started wearing his little cross outside of his shirt on his commercials.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:03 PM

Lots of hypocrites everywhere really. Yes the church is full of sinners too. Still is simply something for you to do to point that out and it means nothing since I agree with you mostly. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CoonNfoxtrapper

Well you finally decided to attack me personally on a forum where I can defend myself. The only thing is I have nothing to defend. Everything I have said I have done I can back up. Funny how you talk crap on other forums and say nothing to mein person. Yes I see what you say. Easy way to end this and to stop any doubt would be to simply prove me wrong on my theory. Or is it taking the high way as you guys call it by not proving what you say. Does it make it true because it was on the internet? That is laughable. You all had to have proof any time I have ever said anything and have been proven wrong every time. Have him prove it so you don’t look like a sheep. LLL

Someone should study you….

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:27 PM

Someone should stop digging, the hole is plenty deep.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:29 PM

Well I tried to stay out of this but I guess it's not possible anymore. When I had my 1000 season I didn't talk to much as it was unfolding, I was nervous about letting people it was possible to the locals around me I guess, even though online I knew it was possible by many that I have seen. There are probably 35 or 40 people in the trapping community that I talked to thst watched it unfold. Have I caught multiple 1000 coon seasons? Nope I have not. I have alot to learn but hope to have multiple seasons like this. And the fact that I have a family, and a full time job, not laid off for the winter, made things more difficult. Last year fell short, it happens, like I said I have alot to learn, always room to improve on.

Last I knew Larry I thought you were trying to make amends and treat people better, I guess that has changed since we talked last. It's to bad that you have to act like this, you could help alot in the trapping world but choose not to..because of how you treat people is part of the reason our sport is dying, I almost quit trapping 15 years ago when I reached out for advice and you tore me to pieces.

You may forever be known as a top iowa trapper and know 4 times the people in the community then I ever will, but I will be known as a good person, with 4 times the amount of friends you ever will...talk of being a good Christian, thst starts with being a good person, you can hide behind the cloak of a Christian, but as it gets smaller and smaller the world is seeing what you really are, special place down south for people like you how take pride in belittling people.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:34 PM

Well I tried to stay out of this but I guess it's not possible anymore. When I had my 1000 season I didn't talk to much as it was unfolding, I was nervous about letting people know it was possible to the locals around me I guess, even though online I knew it was possible by many thst I have seen. There are probably 35 or 40 people I the trapping community that I talked to thst watched it unfold. Have I caught multiple 1000 coon seasons? Nope I have not. I have alot to learn but hope to have multiple seasons like this. And the fact thst I have a family, and a full time job, not laid off for the winter, made things more difficult. Last year fell short, it happens, like I said I have alot to learn, always room to improve on.

Last I knew Larry I thought you were trying to make amends and treat people better, I guess thst has changed since we talked last. It's to bad thst you have to act like this, you could help alot in the trapping world but choose not to..because of how you treat people is part of the reason our sport is dying, I almost quit trapping 15 years ago when I reached out for advice and you tore me to pieces.

You may forever be known as a top iowa trapper and know 4 times the people in the community then I ever will, but I will be known as a good person, with 4 times the amount of friends you ever will...talk of being a good Christian, thst starts with being a good person, you can hide behind the cloak of a Christian, but as it gets smaller and smaller the world is seeing what you really are.

Amen lol

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:50 PM

Was not wanting an explanation but proof. Sorry for being sceptical. I do not deminish your efforts. I do believe you have the work ethic to be in the2000 coon club if that is your desire. I applaud what you do for the community. I think you and many’s misperception is this was a personal attack. When you become a public figure you will be challenged every time you turn around. I was you will. You were public about three seasons ago quiet about the 1000 season and videoed the third.
WhT made me get to questioning this wS I really was interested in seeing what you had said about your first thousand coon season. I checked all of social media which you are on a lot of. No where could I find anything on that season but plenty on all the others. You did not seem shy there. If you say you did I guess you did. I hope you do many times over again. For what it is worth I did offer you advice and you rejected it. So much for learning. The offer and advice is still there.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 04:58 PM

Now kiss and sing Kumbaya.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:06 PM

You guys want to make a YouTube video we would all watch this fall I suggest you run a longline together. The guy who catches the fewest coons each day has to run the line in a bikini the next day...

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:07 PM

You would both become the biggest trapping celebrities going....

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:08 PM

No matter how it ends y'all are welcome to the Possum Hauler camper next convention! That won't change.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:08 PM

Year end loser has to get a bikini wax . How's that for motivation

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:36 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 05:43 PM

[Linked Image]

You want in on the bikini trapping too don't u
Posted By: gman

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:00 PM

Best trapping lesson I ever learned was back in 1973.Learned it from one of the best mink trappers Mn ever produced. Keep your mouth shut. Bragging only causes you problems. This post proves it once again!!!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:03 PM

[Linked Image]

I don't know Savell, you didn't toot your Own horn loud enough for some to believe you.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

It really isn't all that bad, lolol

I knoe he would run circles around me, he's got the knowledge of trapping and enough ground mapped out over rhe years that I wouldn't have a chance, and considering I have a job that goes through the fall and winter, ya I have no chance, I'll be the first to admit that!
Posted By: Dragger

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:09 PM

If I start caring about how many raccoons someone trapped please shoot me.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:13 PM

I knoe he would run circles around me, he's got the knowledge of trapping and enough ground mapped out over rhe years that I wouldn't have a chance, and considering I have a job that goes through the fall and winter, ya I have no chance, I'll be the first to admit that!

If your trapping falls through, I'm still looking for someone to film my 1000 raccoon by thermal run. I figured my PM would be blowing up by now. I enjoyed watching your run. I guess since raccoon trapping hasn't been profitable for a while for most Larry must have felt the need to remind everyone he can catch over 1000. I still care about as much now as I did then.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 06:33 PM

I have no desire to ever catch 1000 or even 2000 coon ever again. Been there and done that many times. I would trap a week with you Dustin on my line actually and we could both learn a few things. Maybe you could teach me and being a little more humble and I could teach you how to double your catch in the same time period. I don’t know about the video thing and you would have to share the passenger seat with my rat dog. One stipulation would be you take all of the coon home with you.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 07:06 PM

I tried that humble thing then felt selfish for keeping all this greatness to myself... lol
Jk I think humility is as close to perfection we will come to in this world

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 07:46 PM

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 07:47 PM

[Linked Image]

I don't know Savell, you didn't toot your Own horn loud enough for some to believe you.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 07:58 PM

I really need to quit thinking about this because I feel Im friends with both people involved. But I remember a time when you were on the other site talking about all the coon you caught. I asked you several times to give a number and you never did. Finally after about 5-6 times of me asking you answered me Larry. Your answer was you weren't going to tell me or anyone a total because you weren't telling us how much you made. If I remember correctly you said "I dont ask you how much you make a year". But we never doubted that you worked your (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off and caught 1000's a year

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 08:15 PM

I am willing to let it go. Maybe I should try and start trusting people’s word more. Maybe in the long run it does not matter. 875 coon is still impressive. Probably to most people it is for sure. Most have a hard time wrapping their mind around big catches. Glad I can. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mac

Sure wish you had an original thought. Do you parrot people in real life too? Lol what an asset. LLL
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 08:39 PM

After reading only part of this thread I have decided that if I ever make a record breaking catch I surely won't share the numbers.
The whole competition with other trappers over who is the best is a real turn-off.
It's not what trapping is supposed to be about.
Posted By: trapperjohn68

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 08:54 PM

And on top of all this he is giving back by giving a free ride along after a free educational instruction. To a young trapper. Which i think is a huge accomplishment in its self. More than anyone else can say

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
After reading only part of this thread I have decided that if I ever make a record breaking catch I surely won't share the numbers.
The whole competition with other trappers over who is the best is a real turn-off.
It's not what trapping is supposed to be about.

This was never about who is better or who caught more. If you thought that you need to reread it. LLL
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 09:58 PM

I'll give you someone else to focus on!! I caught 1000 beaver a season !!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 10:06 PM

Either you trust people or you don't.

How can any of us actually "prove" what we caught.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 10:26 PM

Screen shot of your fur cheque or it didnt happen.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 10:54 PM

Either you trust people or you don't.

How can any of us actually "prove" what we caught.

Consistancy, posting daily pictures, I actually posted my entire shipment to fur harvesters and NAFA one year because several were calling me out on the number of 3x coon I trapped. Mike M. would verify what I sold him if I said ok. Like BOCO said fur check receipt. I never left out a season and they are all on the web to see if you dig for them. Most are archived on ITT I would imagine. I will have to look some time.

Trust me many never "trusted" me. I proved a lot of folks wrong. Sometimes that was the most fun of all. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Johnson
I'll give you someone else to focus on!! I caught 1000 beaver a season !!

You will have to take it up with someone else because it makes no difference to me how many beaver you done. I am not in that club. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:27 PM

Google narcissism. Enuf said

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:28 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:29 PM

... how bout that Swampwolf ! Lol
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/27/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Google narcissism. Enuf said

Well I see you you are like coonnfxtrapper. Like to talk on other sites about me too where I won’t defend myself. You are one of the 200,000.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 12:04 AM

Gerald, thank you for your humility and candor. I couldn't agree more.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 12:06 AM

No i made sure i said it here so u can defend urself. And from what i understand, its not that you “wont” defend yourself, its that you “cant” post there anymore because of antics like uve displayed here today knocking people down. This display of yours has been pathetic. Seems like someones mad the American Trapper didnt just do an article about them so you got online to try and knock a decent guy down. Pathetic. But the dude was right. The dead horse has been beaten enough.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 12:53 AM

Coon trappers seem to be a sensitive bunch.
That Manly man and Dave Plunger got buthurt easy too it seems.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
No i made sure i said it here so u can defend urself. And from what i understand, its not that you “wont” defend yourself, its that you “cant” post there anymore because of antics like uve displayed here today knocking people down. This display of yours has been pathetic. Seems like someones mad the American Trapper didnt just do an article about them so you got online to try and knock a decent guy down. Pathetic. But the dude was right. The dead horse has been beaten enough.

All I will say to this is you don't know what I know and you don't know what you don't know either. It has nothing whatsoever to do with anything you mentioned. I just know that after two years you all are still talking about me over there and actually you do it quite often. Some good but mostly bad. The funny thing is your boss likes to say that people should not be talked about behind their back but lets it go anytime over there. It's ok. You don't even know me. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:20 AM

And I could post there if I really wanted to. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:21 AM

Supposedly Jedediah Smith caught 668 beaver in 1825. I have to say I'm a doubter though. Bet he traded for some of those with the indians!

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:22 AM

Apparently Savell kills everything in increments of 1000. He has the photos to prove it.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:25 AM

Savell could kill COVID if he took a notion to; he’s just been busy fishin and killin lone stars and such

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaw99
Savell could kill COVID if he took a notion to; he’s just been busy fishin and killin lone stars and such
Lol!
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:29 AM

[Linked Image]

Dang! Impressive. This Savell fella looks just like the guy that killed the ole Two Brow buck down in Texas last year. Wish we could get another picture of that monster.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:46 AM

Screen shot of your fur cheque or it didnt happen.

What good is a fur check, could have bought fur from the neighbor.

Pictures? Big deal, could have saved some critters from the days before.

It's circular. Either you trust someone or you don't.
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 02:02 AM

Did your parents not give you enough attention as a child?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 02:09 AM

Guys we all like to trap, we all have different reasons as to why we do it, but let's quite fighting amongst ourselves. Bigger battles to fight, I kind of blew up early and I appologize its not who I am, but I hate when I'm labeled when I've never been met by most, and that happens more and more as I grow as a trapper. Those who want to follow me on youtube and maybe be entertained, maybe learn something, maybe teach me something, I appreciate the support. As far as Larry goes I hope if you decide to trap this season you have a great season and catch whatever you decide your goal is. Now let's everybody please move on from this, and get ready for season..it'll be here before you know it!
Posted By: martyd

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 02:33 AM

I don’t think Jedidiah Smith caught 668 beaver in 1825 using 11 traps. That’s not counting the traps that he lost when the ice was forming going lower on the mountains. Ha ha ha. I would say he had 300 Indians shooting 2 beaver a piece for him that year. Ha ha. MD
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 03:10 AM

Must of been using Lenon Lures to catch that many coon

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 03:32 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 03:39 AM

... y’all have a good night and wish all you possum skinners well...but against my wishes and prayers... life starts again at 5 for me in the morning unfortunately ..and it ain’t pretty lol
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 03:43 AM

Just imagine……the contiguous rank stench of coon farts….that goes with 1,000 coons …

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Just imagine……the contiguous rank stench of coon farts….that goes with 1,000 coons …

Been there done that. The coon farts anyway. laugh

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by martyd
I don’t think Jedidiah Smith caught 668 beaver in 1825 using 11 traps. That’s not counting the traps that he lost when the ice was forming going lower on the mountains. Ha ha ha. I would say he had 300 Indians shooting 2 beaver a piece for him that year. Ha ha. MD

Jedediah was a Christian trapper though...known as the "rocky mountain preacher". Never without his bible. A Christian wouldn't lie about their catch would they?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dragger

Have you ever set up a photo shoot for 100's of critters? That is a job in itself. Time wasted for no economic return, unless you are marketing a product. Unless you are going to sell some stuff off your reputation, not good policy to advertise your harvest. IMHO.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 05:43 PM

Amazingly enough,

I agree with BOCO for the 2nd time in history !!!! laugh

walleyed

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 05:53 PM

Have you ever set up a photo shoot for 100's of critters? That is a job in itself. Time wasted for no economic return, unless you are marketing a product. Unless you are going to sell some stuff off your reputation, not good policy to advertise your harvest. IMHO.

Not really if you take the pics while sizing/grading/bagging fur for auction.
Saving up a bunch of fur for a year end picture and missing auction deadlines to do it could actually cost you quite a bit of money.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 06:07 PM

Small price to pay, to be in an imaginary club Boco.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 07:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Savell, we are going to need a documented and dated picture of all 100,000. Pictures taken by a professional photographer. Notarized and dated by a notary public. Sealed by a licensed lawyer.

If you can't provide this I'll just be forced to believe all those cans went the same place as Hillary's emails.

LL, thank you for the pure entertainment. I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Amazingly enough,

I agree with BOCO for the 2nd time in history !!!! laugh

walleyed

How do I make this a screen shot for my aviator ?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 08:59 PM

Sure wish you had an original thought. Do you parrot people in real life too? Lol what an asset. LLL
[/quote]

Ouch! That hurts. You have me beat with your wit filled retorts. (Retorts: Simplified for you: a nasty snarky comment in response)
I have made a promise to myself and the good Lord, to ignore your posts that give Christians a bad name. Starting today. Or tomorrow.

Why in the world would you or do you care what some trapper posts for catch numbers. Do you honestly have such a big ego that you feel compelled to point out peoples short comings. Kind like what I doing. LOL

Bud you must have a cherry life if something like this bothers you. Why not put your efforts into being a kinder human being? (Ya, I know this applies to me too)
You simply remind of school yard bullies in grade school and middle school. Not sure why but you do.
Tomorrow, I swear, I will stop posting.
And for the record, the posts I copied and posted were very good ones.
Well maybe Friday, or Saturday the latest. Really, hopefully you allow this thread that went on way to long over NOTHING to die a natural death.
Mac

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 10:02 PM

Boco l am referring to the classic side of the barn shot. I had a partner con me into doing one. Many hours. frown

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
Really, hopefully you allow this thread that went on way to long over NOTHING to die a natural death.
Mac

I have not responded on this thread all day and to the subject I am done with it but have one question for ya. Did the mean tweets that Trump put out offend you too? Mean bully bad LLL. He posts mean things. Thanks for the laugh. Bet your a thin skinned liberal. crazy LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 11:13 PM

Boco l am referring to the classic side of the barn shot. I had a partner con me into doing one. Many hours. frown

I'd have to build a barn first. I don't need a barn nor one covered with $2 coons. Thinking a barn covered with $400 cats might be worth the work?

Then I can sell some magic potion. lol

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/28/21 11:17 PM

A barn coverd in ermine skins would be something to brag about.
Cost you a fortune for push pins though.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 12:07 AM

Without that barn shot what u gonna show ur grandkids?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 12:26 AM

You have to admit a barn shot with 2000 coon would be a pretty cool sight.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 12:58 AM

If you live in coon country and with very limited trapping and hunting the last years there maybe more live ones in the barn then dead ones hanging on the barn.

Bryce

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by nimzy

Quit taking pictures and get the book done.

Need a proof reader?

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 01:34 AM

Need a proof reader?

Quiet time in the fishing shack for you to do 49er

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
You have to admit a barn shot with 2000 coon would be a pretty cool sight.

Never nailed them to the barn but ......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by coondagger2

Savell, we are going to need a documented and dated picture of all 100,000. Pictures taken by a professional photographer. Notarized and dated by a notary public. Sealed by a licensed lawyer.

If you can't provide this I'll just be forced to believe all those cans went the same place as Hillary's emails.

LL, thank you for the pure entertainment. I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion

LMAO

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mac
Really, hopefully you allow this thread that went on way to long over NOTHING to die a natural death.
Mac

I have not responded on this thread all day and to the subject I am done with it but have one question for ya. Did the mean tweets that Trump put out offend you too? Mean bully bad LLL. He posts mean things. Thanks for the laugh. Bet your a thin skinned liberal. crazy LLL

I've fought the urge to comment on the religious aspects of this thread, but have lost the battle. I guess I'm what the Bible would call a Lukewarm Christian in that I read the Bible and talk to God daily, but don't attend church.

The reason I don't attend church is because of people like Larry. Whenever a post comes up with the topic of sin, Larry is first in line to cast down his fire and brimstone. Sometimes I think he thinks he is God's appointed angel to condemn the fallen. It's as though he forgets the Bible continues on past Malachi.

Whenever I read a post of Larry's on any religion thread, the verse that comes to mind is Matthew 7:5. That is exceptionally true in this thread.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 05:01 AM

Have you sent an autographed copy of your last photo to Bob W? You'd probably make his day.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 07:48 AM

I'm proud of my measley little catch and post most of my catches just because I enjoy sharing it. Someone who catches 100's upon thousands should definitely feel proud to post theirs . As long as their just not being comeple pricks that is . But that's just how I feel
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 09:39 AM

Trapping to impress others is like antler hunting.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 10:33 AM

Need a proof reader?

If I finish that book I’ll have to join the self promoting, alleged big numbers club. Seems like a ruthless competitive bunch.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 10:40 AM

It's not ruthless nimzy, it's just people. Trapping is made up of trappers = people.
When I started in the trapping business in 1984, with my first booth at my first convention, I had a well known trapper from WY come up to my booth, introduce himself and inform me that as of that show....
half of these folks (as he pointed around the show) are gonna love ya, and half are gonna hate ya.
Tom wasn't quite accurate but all we can do is do what we enjoy, make a living at it if we choose to sweat, break our backs, and push on as trappers.
And let the chips fall.

I have come to find trappers as just about the most enjoyable folk there are.
And Tom's stats might have been more accurate at 95%/5%.

Trappers haven't changed much since the rendezvous days.
We just have more horsepower is all.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 11:44 AM

Actually yotetrapper 30 I am more in line with what Job said in Job 9:20. Lots of truth in that statement for all of us. Most I might add. LLL
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 11:46 AM

I enjoy the barn photos. Not sure why anyone would have their nose out of joint with them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 01:02 PM

Actually yotetrapper 30 I am more in line with what Job said in Job 9:20. Lots of truth in that statement for all of us. Most I might add. LLL

Just looked it up. Yup funny how pertinent the words of the Bible are to this day

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 01:29 PM

By merely mentioning the plank in my eye you proclaim a plank in your own. That is why Job had it right to begin with. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 02:21 PM

By merely mentioning the plank in my eye you proclaim a plank in your own. That is why Job had it right to begin with. LLL

I can't argue with that. Why I usually don't comment very much on religion threads. I certainly have no right to judge. But no one does, really, besides God. But because, like everyone, I do judge people at times, I tend not to post about how great of a Christian I am... because I'm not.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 02:28 PM

You mentioned you don’t go to church because of people like me. Interesting to think that there are sinners and hypocrites in the church. I believe that is where sinners and hypocrites should be. There are no good people. Just those who are forgiven daily by grace. I never claimed to be perfect or righteous. I know how I should be but fall short daily. Being a Christian puts a target on one’s back. Right away half or more want to point out your “hypocrisy “ as they know a couple verses that all nonbelievers know. It would not matter how righteous you were they hate the thought that you are a Christian. So half hate because of my faith before I ever say a word about anything else. LLL

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 02:47 PM

If I finish that book I’ll have to join the self promoting, alleged big numbers club. Seems like a ruthless competitive bunch.

Market it in the same way Phil Brown is marketing his new video. Almost none lol, no bravado, no machismo, no bringing into question anyone else's accomplishments.

I patiently await.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 03:07 PM

Well said .

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 05:55 PM

I can't argue with that. Why I usually don't comment very much on religion threads. I certainly have no right to judge. But no one does, really, besides God. But because, like everyone, I do judge people at times, I tend not to post about how great of a Christian I am... because I'm not.

That judgement thing is way off the charts in society today.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 06:35 PM

I think there should be a federal "Coon Commission" to look into all coon trappers numbers. When we find those who have fudged thier numbers we can burn them on the planks.

Only seasoned cat trappers will be allowed on the Commission for they are more virtuous.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 08:46 PM

Talking to some locals at the NTA, most seemed to think a 1000 coon season would be easy based on what they see at night with a thermal. The numbers they were talking were staggering.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Talking to some locals at the NTA, most seemed to think a 1000 coon season would be easy based on what they see at night with a thermal. The numbers they were talking were staggering.

There is no competition anymore so I would agree. When I trapped my first 1000 coon season there were four guys in every row and they were all top lot trappers. Killing a thousand is the easy part. Taking care of the catch is something completely different and even today would be the one thing that shuts the door on many trying. Good time to do it if you wanted to but you are going to catch as many as you can afford. Zero profit to be made is also a show stopper. That is why I let a 11 season run end. It was not worth what it would cost to do it.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 10:46 PM

There is. It is called the IRS
I think there should be a federal "Coon Commission" to look into all coon trappers numbers. When we find those who have fudged thier numbers we can burn them on the planks.

Only seasoned cat trappers will be allowed on the Commission for they are more virtuous.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/29/21 11:27 PM

I never came close to a thousand. 100 in two weeks wears me out and I am tired of coon trapping. Starts to be more work than pleasure.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: 1000 coon season question - 07/30/21 02:16 AM

LOL. Best post in this thread.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: 1000 coon season question - 09/12/21 08:23 PM

What’s your YouTube channel I’d love to watch. Nevermind I found it you now have one more subscriber love it!
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: 1000 coon season question - 09/12/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16

What’s your YouTube channel I’d love to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NPPI75Le0
Posted By: 080808

Re: 1000 coon season question - 09/12/21 08:59 PM

Iowa Trapper. Please keep up the videos. Informative and what it’s all about.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: 1000 coon season question - 09/12/21 09:21 PM

I don't have the shop or freezer space for 1000 anything but maybe rats but I do think 1000 coon would be doable if one were so inclined. Trash Pandas are everywhere and if I had 100 DPs I bet I could do it in a month or less but problem is the coon wouldn't even pay for the traps.

Re: 1000 coon season question - 09/12/21 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
I don't have the shop or freezer space for 1000 anything but maybe rats but I do think 1000 coon would be doable if one were so inclined. Trash Pandas are everywhere and if I had 100 DPs I bet I could do it in a month or less but problem is the coon wouldn't even pay for the traps.

Not to mention no competition. I could do it in a couple weeks. I have when there were 4 other good trappers in the same right of way. My suggestion has always been to get a pair of hip boots and a sharp knife and skinning machine. DPs are fine but they fall of to a 20% catch rate in a couple days. Water sets just keep on getting better.

Keep videos and a catch record. I will be watching too while fishing and hunting. LLL
Posted By: 1187 shooter

Re: 1000 coon season question - 10/09/21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

There is no competition anymore so I would agree. When I trapped my first 1000 coon season there were four guys in every row and they were all top lot trappers. Killing a thousand is the easy part. Taking care of the catch is something completely different and even today would be the one thing that shuts the door on many trying. Good time to do it if you wanted to but you are going to catch as many as you can afford. Zero profit to be made is also a show stopper. That is why I let a 11 season run end. It was not worth what it would cost to do it.

This is extremely true Larry. I did it once and I quit trapping in the first week of January because I was burnt out and didn't want to scrape coon every single night after running traps and skinning coon all day and night.

I find it interesting that nobody traps anymore in NE Iowa I can name 4-5 guys within 10 miles of my town who will be trapping no matter what. No they're not 1000 coon guys most are 2-400 coon guys who are older guys who just enjoy doing it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums